Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
There's no harder boss in this game than the camera on PC. No matter what I'm fighting, unless I'm locked on, which is not an option for certain fights, the camera wants to constantly get behind me and follow the direction I'm moving, and there's nothing more important than keeping an eye on the boss's location and movements. I'm constantly counteracting the camera with lateral mouse movements and it sucks to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

pentyne posted:

How do you know if you've aggro'd an NPC?

I'm in the Village of the Albinarics and immediately nearby there's a flute playing person. When I approach he attacks immediately. The only reason I think I might've accidently hit him prior to this is I've seen him use a flask to heal, which I've never seen for any other enemy.

have you attacked any merchants at all? one of them mentions that they'll know if you do

Orv
May 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

How do you know if you've aggro'd an NPC?

I'm in the Village of the Albinarics and immediately nearby there's a flute playing person. When I approach he attacks immediately. The only reason I think I might've accidently hit him prior to this is I've seen him use a flask to heal, which I've never seen for any other enemy.

That guy is always hostile.

Or at least he was in my playthrough. I think he's part of the cursemakers that Albus mentions.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Scruffpuff posted:

... I'm constantly counteracting the camera with lateral mouse movements and it sucks to no end.

found your problem

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mailer posted:

I'm of two minds if posting hats is a spoiler.

Just cracked 52 Int, which means I can equip Comet. Pebble's efficiency comes in at 38.57 with a hit of 270. Comet comes in at 13.15 with a hit of 500. A single Comet is worth less than two Pebbles. The gently caress.

Also saw something so weird I had to go back and reproduce it and I'm still convinced it's a mistake. Corian Slicer, the 4 FP beginning tier melee spell, hit for 273 which gave it 68.25 efficiency. Granted, that's the equivalent of standing in melee mashing R1 with a light weapon (you die) but it was such a weird outlier that I ran out slicing the camp up with it. The Greatsword variant doesn't have that kind of efficiency so that might just be a mistake From made.

Short Sword +3 1h R1 went from 89 (Int scaling) to 170 (Standard scaling) with Magic Weapon Scholar's Armaments applied. That's not terrible when you consider it's only 25 FP.

Everything else tested was pretty much poo poo. If I could ever find the ashes that gives you the soulmass swords like in the CNT I'll probably laugh as it massively outdamages the hilariously terrible spell version. Star Shower, a 36 FP spell, hit for 390. It gets the biggest turd award.

Going to see what the spell scaling on these other catalysts comes out to upgraded. I suspect they're going to be reasonably higher than the low Int freebie S scaling option. Thank you for reading another dumbass post about sorcery. Also thanks to that one patrolling shield knight in Gatefront Ruins for taking dozens of spells in the back for science.

I don't have the int to cast it myself but IIRC the comet spell's description mentioned being chargeable. Is that the charged or uncharged damage? Even great glintstone pebble does double the damage of the basic pebble, and that doesn't require 52 int...

e: Also it makes perfect sense for the basic melee attack with none of the advantages of sorcery to be more fp-efficient than the safe ranged attacks that can be cast while moving with low animation lock. Melee swinging is 100% fp-efficient after all, and can hit for a lot more than 89 damage with a less crappy weapon or more upgrades. There are even weapons with natural int scaling to find. I dunno if any will be buffable though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 27, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

There's no harder boss in this game than the camera on PC. No matter what I'm fighting, unless I'm locked on, which is not an option for certain fights, the camera wants to constantly get behind me and follow the direction I'm moving, and there's nothing more important than keeping an eye on the boss's location and movements. I'm constantly counteracting the camera with lateral mouse movements and it sucks to no end.

no idea what you're talking about here but i did have to bump the default mouse sensitivity down a couple notches because it was spinning the camera 180 degrees at the slightest touch, could that be it? otherwise, the camera movement is entirely independent from character movement, just like every other dark souls game

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 27, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orv posted:

That guy is always hostile.

Or at least he was in my playthrough. I think he's part of the cursemakers that Albus mentions.

Speaking of finding NPCs, when you find one, you just kind of have to hope you run into them again to continue their quest right?

Seems like most of them gently caress off afterwards and if they don't show up at the base then I have no idea where they are to be found.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Can you buy or find the various classes starting gear? Reasonably early would be great, but even later would be alright. I had fun starting out naked, but some of that stuff looks pretty cool.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

goferchan posted:

While the world is probably quite smaller than massive stuff like Assassin's Creed or whatever the way it gives you that sense of scale is continually mindblowing. It's something I have never seen a game pull off before.

I feel pretty safe in calling this the most epic video game of all time. And I don't mean that in the trite overused way goons have been making fun of for the last 20 years—I mean it sincerely. There may be bigger or longer games out there, but none feel as meticulously crafted as this one. Every time you think you've seen it all, the game knocks you on your rear end with another vista, or you get goosebumps from another incredible boss fight. And they make everything feel more organic than other open world RPGs where you just accept quests, go to quest markers, get loot. This game is an immense feat the likes of which are unlikely to be recaptured by anyone other than the same team if they ever decide to do another game like this.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

no idea what you're talking about here but i did have to bump the default mouse sensitivity down a couple notches because it was spinning the camera 180 degrees at the slightest touch, could that be it? otherwise, the camera movement is entirely independent from character movement, just like every other dark souls game

It's not for me. Not even close. The camera is constantly trying to follow behind me when I'm doing mounted combat. I mean constantly getting behind me. It's not as pronounced on foot. Try this: get on your mount and try to run in one direction while looking to your left or right.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

i guess the one caveat is if you're trying to get a lock on something but the game doesn't recognize what you're looking at to lock on it'll snap the camera to the direction you're facing, are you like holding the button down or something?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Speaking of finding NPCs, when you find one, you just kind of have to hope you run into them again to continue their quest right?

Seems like most of them gently caress off afterwards and if they don't show up at the base then I have no idea where they are to be found.

merchants seem to sell starting gear. i've found a few sets, so I assume all of them can at least be purchased

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Beat Godrick earlier today before I had to go to work at level 29. Started as a Samurai, and the bleed from the katana worked really well against both Margrit and Godrick. I think I farmed like 15k runes from the 5 giants just to get some stats before moving on. I haven't figured out how to summon things like the jellyfish, but whatever. I don't think I have a lot left to explore of the first area, just the area south of the starting location. Then I'll have to decide to move onto the poison swamp or the lake region. Wasted like 2 hours in the former after I got transported there by a trapped chest.

Biggest issue that I've been having honestly is trying to get parry timings down, lots of enemies wind up for way longer than I'm expecting, so I end up parrying way too early then get flattened by them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a kitten posted:

Can you buy or find the various classes starting gear? Reasonably early would be great, but even later would be alright. I had fun starting out naked, but some of that stuff looks pretty cool.

I got the prisoner helmet from a merchant in one of the underground areas. But that's a ways in.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
land octopus ovary

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

a kitten posted:

Yeah I found a vendor that sold a few astrologen pieces, so I'm assuming most vendors have 1-2 parts of the starting sets sprinkled in. Usually when I'm at vendors I'm only looking for pots and recipes so I've probably overlooked a lot of that armor

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

It's not for me. Not even close. The camera is constantly trying to follow behind me when I'm doing mounted combat. I mean constantly getting behind me. It's not as pronounced on foot. Try this: get on your mount and try to run in one direction while looking to your left or right.

ok i did:
https://imgur.com/NYPTEaj
(the middle section there is just me going hog wild with the mouse and wasd to see if the camera would try and get behind my horse of its own volition)
i think i get what you mean though, you want to be just heading in a straight line to the side instead of a circular rotation? yeah you have to adjust the camera as you ride then. but i don't think that's a mouse thing, i assume that's how it'd work with a thumbstick as well

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 27, 2022

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

a kitten posted:

Yeah I found a nomad merchant with the samurai (reed) armor eventually.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Todays summary: Found several locations far beyond what I perceived the map boundaries to be. Found the path I should have taken long ago weeping peninsula to the south and wound up going back and killing Margit finally. thanks for the tips on bleed but I also used poison as well.

The scale is almost fatiguing. I honestly thought pre-launch that I'd maybe even beat the main story this weekend. I cant see that happening inside 100 hours, and I'm not an obsessive completionist or give a gently caress about achievements, but I also cant leave a path unexplored.

I slept on the horse for my first 6-8 hours, now cant be in the overworld without him. Really trivializes combat vs regular enemies, and even the big fuckers.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
I started this game as a wretch and 6 hours in I finally have a set of gear. Fleshing out a Dex based build. Game is good!

Also, I beat Sekiro this morning and now I'm dodging toward spear thrusts all the time.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

i guess the one caveat is if you're trying to get a lock on something but the game doesn't recognize what you're looking at to lock on it'll snap the camera to the direction you're facing, are you like holding the button down or something?

OK so here's the specifics to reproduce what I'm doing. Hit D to run to the right. Notice that you're running in a circle and not straight to the right. That's because the camera is rotating to stay on your right flank and keep you in view. There's nothing wrong with this per se. Now imagine you want to hit the D button to run right but you want to keep something on your left side in view. In that case you want the camera to pan alongside you, not rotate in place. If you're ever played WOW, this is accomplished by holding the right mouse button while strafing. That's not an option here. So what I'm wanting ideally is a free camera that pans to keep me in view instead of rotating which not only affects my own movement, but keeps enemies out of view.

This is not really noticeable until I'm doing some jousting like against a dragon or that tree guardian guy. Both of those fights were a nightmare because the only time I even saw them was when I was heading right for them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

I started this game as a wretch and 6 hours in I finally have a set of gear. Fleshing out a Dex based build. Game is good!

Also, I beat Sekiro this morning and now I'm dodging toward spear thrusts all the time.

No Mikiri counter, but jumping sweeps actually does work here! Sometimes...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

ok i did:
https://imgur.com/NYPTEaj
(the middle section there is just me going hog wild with the mouse and wasd to see if the camera would try and get behind my horse of its own volition)
i think i get what you mean though, you want to be just heading in a straight line to the side instead of a circular rotation? yeah you have to adjust the camera as you ride then. but i don't think that's a mouse thing, i assume that's how it'd work with a thumbstick as well

Yeah it does with the stick as well, but it's slightly easier to manage with that setup. And you got it, I'm trying to get rid of that circular rotation. I mean I'm managing OK, I did get these bosses down eventually, but if I'm trying to do fancy skiddly-doo horsework about 75% of my energy is spent moving the loving camera around.

Different games handle the camera differently, I'm adjusting and having to recalibrate my reflexes accordingly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i appreciate your opinion but "easier to manage the camera with a thumbstick" is crazy talk, to me

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

i appreciate your opinion but "easier to manage the camera with a thumbstick" is crazy talk, to me

LOL only in the sense that I don't have to slide a mouse constantly to the left until I run out of desk space, have to reposition it, and do it again. With a thumbstick you can just hold it a bit to the side and be all set.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I disregard all talk of mkb in FROM games despite being a devout user for anything with guns. Yet I play all these games with this ridiculous claw grip in which I use my thumb to pan the camera while curling my index finger and using that to hold sprint.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

great i was about to go to bed but since i fired up elden ring to record that clip i need to play it for six more hours thanks a lot jerk

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

codo27 posted:

I disregard all talk of mkb in FROM games despite being a devout user for anything with guns. Yet I play all these games with this ridiculous claw grip in which I use my thumb to pan the camera while curling my index finger and using that to hold sprint.

get a controller with back paddles, your hands will thank you

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Where the heck are the teleporting chests?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

never play a souls game with kb+m unless you're doing some kind of gimmick twitch run in which case you'll be using a guitar hero controller anyway

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

simply use kb+m, god's chosen instruments, and then set up AHK macros to toggle sprint + run forwards for the best in "comfy gaming"

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, now that I finally have enough smithing stone [1]s to upgrade poo poo, I'm honestly kind of conflicted. I've been using the twinblade up to this point, and it rocks face... but it hits so hard, and so fast, that it feels like cheating. Like, most of the enemies I've found honestly feel like they're not set up to deal with its move set or damage output.

I'll probably just end up buffing the zweihander or something instead, that thing never goes wrong.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Elden ring is first person heroes of might and magic 3

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Any swords that scale well off int? There used to be in souls iirc

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Getting hosed in Hogwarts by the dude with the flaming crossbow machine gun in one direction and the Moon Knight dude in the other

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SHISHKABOB posted:

Where the heck are the teleporting chests?

There's one in the dragon scarred ruins in the lake to the south

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i will fight and kill god himself but put me in a tight space with three skeletons and i'm dead everytime

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Deviant posted:

Any swords that scale well off int? There used to be in souls iirc

I've found one so far: the Sword of Saint Trina, which also applies the new sleep status! Seems to hit decently harder than my old magic mace.
I found it Behind a stone-key fogwall in some ruins in the northwest of redrot land

The Moonlight Greatsword will definitely exist somewhere or other too. From have put that in all of their games since Demon's Souls (or maybe it was even in the King's Field series?).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Only just had time tonight to create my character and get a little taste. Found myself thrust out into the world and immediately killed by a horse mounted boss. Cool times I can't wait to dive in properly tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in the Bad Red Place and the divine tower of caelid is literally nightmarish. this is what acrophobes see when the Devil gets into their eyes