Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I've found one so far: the Sword of Saint Trina, which also applies the new sleep status! Seems to hit decently harder than my old magic mace.
I found it Behind a stone-key fogwall in some ruins in the northwest of redrot land

The Moonlight Greatsword will definitely exist somewhere or other too. From have put that in all of their games since Demon's Souls (or maybe it was even in the King's Field series?).

I saw moonlight great sword as a skill but not a weapon but I haven't run into it.

Looks like Darkmoon great sword is it now and comes at the end of a long quest

Deviant fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

Where the heck are the teleporting chests?
Did you dodge roll away like a sensible person from a chest with white smoke from ingrained reflex fearing curse?

I did, then I went back for seconds thinking "but what if there WAS an item inside?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Finally found the first false wall in a catacomb.

Now still waiting for the eventual mimic since I still attack every treasure chest on instinct.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
ok chest, you wanna teleport me all the way across the map locked in a death arena in the sky with a giant flaming robot guy and a massive dead dragon in the background?

then im gonna pummel his ankles so bad he becomes stuck in a loop of staggered-> critical striked-> pummeled with boulders as he stands up-> staggered. gently caress you flaming robot, via the glory of magically chucked boulders you've become my bitch.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Do sacred weapons not perma kill undead? They dont seem to for me?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

You have to then attack the bones on the ground. Doesn't matter what kind of weapon you use.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I've found one so far: the Sword of Saint Trina, which also applies the new sleep status! Seems to hit decently harder than my old magic mace.
I found it Behind a stone-key fogwall in some ruins in the northwest of redrot land

The Moonlight Greatsword will definitely exist somewhere or other too. From have put that in all of their games since Demon's Souls (or maybe it was even in the King's Field series?).

Prior to the souls games the Moonlight Blade is also in all of their Armored Core series of games.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Delorence Fickle posted:

Prior to the souls games the Moonlight Blade is also in all of their Armored Core series of games.

then why can't I get an Elden Ring Karasawa :mad:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I hate this game. I cannot believe how difficult it is. I beat DS 1, 2, 3 blood born and demon souls before and except for DS3 I consider those mediumish difficultly. I got out of the tutorial area, died 4-5 times to the knight outside of there, figured it was a joke come back later. Went to margit, keep in mind I'm level like 2, got my rear end kicked 10 times, give up. On that boss I figure it'd take 15-20 minutes to kill them and it takes a perfect run because I get one shot by most attacks.

Okay no problem, go explore. Find a church, easy dudes all around, perfect back on track. Find the teleporter chest, end up in crystal caves, get murdered for an hour before escaping. Every single enemy in that area 1 or 2 shots me, and all of them take 5 backstabs+ to kill At this point I'm about 3 hours in and I have nothing to show for it. Level 3, +1 sword of poo poo. Haven't found a single item yet.

Teleport back to the tutorial area, open the fog door. Spend another hour in total loving misery trying to dodge the chariot and dying to the guy at the bottom Give up, leave. Find a beach, let's explore, oh look a dude I can actually kill. Takes 3 tries, but I kill him! Drops a white flesh. Great, useless item right now, can't do anything with that. Oh look a cave, check it out and kill a mechanical cathead boss! Finally! He also drops.... a summon. gently caress, don't need that.

So here I am like 5 hours in, literally no items, no levels, no souls, just total loving misery trying to play this. It's literally 5 times harder than any other DS game for me. It's like if you took the part of DS1 where you don't know where to go and wander into the graveyard as SL1 and made an entire game out of just that.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
How stingy do I have to be with the somber smithing stones? I wanna upgrade this melee weapon I have with them, but I also wanna save them in case I find a unique staff since I'm primarily using magic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

You need to have a weapon buff on. The Sacred Blade weapon buff (from the weapon art) does very high damage and disintegrates undead so they don’t try to revive.

Normal holy damage isn’t enough, though you can also attack them while they’re down to finish them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MarshyMcFly posted:

How TF do you invade in this game? I want to do a murder!

If you go north from the Warmaster (east of Stormveil) you should run into an NPC invader who drops the stuff for invading.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Even great glintstone pebble does double the damage of the basic pebble

No, it doesn't. At 52 Int, with the sorcery talisman and Meteorite staff - Pebble does 270 (38.57 eff) and Great Glintstone Shard does 385 (32.08 eff). This puts GGS in the realm of Carian Greatsword in terms of efficiency, though considerably lower damage. Also GGS is slow as hell, has a short range like Swift GS and Night Shard, and I could hit with two pebbles in that time. I didn't actually test it at 52 just because I'd tried it previous to that and it was so awkward to use that it'd have to be ultra efficient to be useful.

That was a fair point about charging, though! I'd honestly forgotten it was a thing. Comet went from 500-589 on a full charge, and cometshard went from 422-500. Technically better, but the improvements didn't shift them around at all.

quote:

e: Also it makes perfect sense for the basic melee attack with none of the advantages of sorcery to be more fp-efficient than the safe ranged attacks that can be cast while moving with low animation lock. Melee swinging is 100% fp-efficient after all, and can hit for a lot more than 89 damage with a less crappy weapon or more upgrades. There are even weapons with natural int scaling to find. I dunno if any will be buffable though.

I meant it's weird in that that specific spell (not all the melees, just that one) is so hyper efficient. In terms of buffing: a weapon ashed to Magic, the Crystal Knife, and Lazuli Glintstone Sword cannot be buffed. It's not looking good for double-dipping on Int. Interestingly, Faith-scaling weapons (that I've found) can be given a magic spellbuff. Makes me wonder if invocation weapon buffs will work on Int swords.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Salt Fish posted:

I hate this game. I cannot believe how difficult it is. I beat DS 1, 2, 3 blood born and demon souls before and except for DS3 I consider those mediumish difficultly. I got out of the tutorial area, died 4-5 times to the knight outside of there, figured it was a joke come back later. Went to margit, keep in mind I'm level like 2, got my rear end kicked 10 times, give up. On that boss I figure it'd take 15-20 minutes to kill them and it takes a perfect run because I get one shot by most attacks.

Okay no problem, go explore. Find a church, easy dudes all around, perfect back on track. Find the teleporter chest, end up in crystal caves, get murdered for an hour before escaping. Every single enemy in that area 1 or 2 shots me, and all of them take 5 backstabs+ to kill At this point I'm about 3 hours in and I have nothing to show for it. Level 3, +1 sword of poo poo. Haven't found a single item yet.

Teleport back to the tutorial area, open the fog door. Spend another hour in total loving misery trying to dodge the chariot and dying to the guy at the bottom Give up, leave. Find a beach, let's explore, oh look a dude I can actually kill. Takes 3 tries, but I kill him! Drops a white flesh. Great, useless item right now, can't do anything with that. Oh look a cave, check it out and kill a mechanical cathead boss! Finally! He also drops.... a summon. gently caress, don't need that.

So here I am like 5 hours in, literally no items, no levels, no souls, just total loving misery trying to play this. It's literally 5 times harder than any other DS game for me. It's like if you took the part of DS1 where you don't know where to go and wander into the graveyard as SL1 and made an entire game out of just that.

I'm more many more hours in than you, and I'll say it:

It is not harder, in fact I'd put it on par with the "difficulty" of the earlier games. In fact, this one gives a lot more options for overcoming the challenges, essentially offering many different ways/methods of gitting gud.

You've just been incredibly unlucky with where you've gone and what you've done so far. Its a massive open world, and you can even skip the first 2 main bosses and their castle to explore it.

Don't give up skeleton.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Whoever designed these sorcerers in the 2nd main dungeon needs to be fired. This is literally 20x worse than pre-nerf Shrine of Amana.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Holy fuckin poo poo this input delay on rolls. Not playing until it’s patched

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Carmant posted:

Whoever designed these sorcerers in the 2nd main dungeon needs to be fired. This is literally 20x worse than pre-nerf Shrine of Amana.

The main dungeons don't have an order.
Also this is 100x better than Amana, those guys are all fairly short ranged and you don't have to wade through mud dodging all their spells to get to them. You can usually just sprint up and sock em in the face except when they're in a big group.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The Volcano Manor jail dungeon you can get put in isn't even interesting, it's just loving boring. Here's two highly mobile bosses with a ton of health and 1 hit kill command grabs, in addition to a shitload of mobile AoEs. In a small space. That you have to defeat to teleport again. At least the first jail mine you could just run out, this is just "Well this is your life now, get good I guess and hope your build is suitable to fighting these two.".

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mailer posted:

No, it doesn't. At 52 Int, with the sorcery talisman and Meteorite staff - Pebble does 270 (38.57 eff) and Great Glintstone Shard does 385 (32.08 eff). This puts GGS in the realm of Carian Greatsword in terms of efficiency, though considerably lower damage. Also GGS is slow as hell, has a short range like Swift GS and Night Shard, and I could hit with two pebbles in that time. I didn't actually test it at 52 just because I'd tried it previous to that and it was so awkward to use that it'd have to be ultra efficient to be useful.

That was a fair point about charging, though! I'd honestly forgotten it was a thing. Comet went from 500-589 on a full charge, and cometshard went from 422-500. Technically better, but the improvements didn't shift them around at all.

I meant it's weird in that that specific spell (not all the melees, just that one) is so hyper efficient. In terms of buffing: a weapon ashed to Magic, the Crystal Knife, and Lazuli Glintstone Sword cannot be buffed. It's not looking good for double-dipping on Int. Interestingly, Faith-scaling weapons (that I've found) can be given a magic spellbuff. Makes me wonder if invocation weapon buffs will work on Int swords.

i'm still confused, when you just say "comet" are you talking about this spell from the wiki: https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Comet+Azur? because i was under the impression it's this game's version of soul stream and can be held continuously, not just charge up one and done. i know it's around there some place, it showed up in one of the trailers

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the entire Caelid region is a loving hive of horrors. it’s like From flayed the Old Hunters DLC and stretched its skin across a quarter of the continent. I did an ill-advised gallop over a good portion of it and everything I saw was the worst possible thing

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

MLGS was based on the MOONLIGHT sword in the Armored Core games iirc, it has been in (nearly?) every single game Fromsoft has ever made.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite mini encounter so far is Midsormar town and the nearby windmill where they murdered a bunch of nobles and now dance around their corpses.

Its also a bit unexpected the game bluntly spells out to you Roderika's backstory in the item description for the red hood, thats not usually how from does it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

MLGS was based on the MOONLIGHT sword in the Armored Core games iirc, it has been in (nearly?) every single game Fromsoft has ever made.

You have it backwards. The armored core sword is based on the moonlight great sword, first seen in King's Field in 1994.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Can you Parry thrusts or 2handed attack?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

The Shortest Path posted:

No actually, the MLGS was from the King's Field games first (1994) :eng101:

Although you aren't wrong, apparently it does appear in every Armored Core too. Never played them, but I do think Armored Core is the first example of Patches though?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
could someone explain how multiplayer works to me like an infant? i straight up dont understand the difference between the two co-op modes, they seem identical since both seem to require you to use an item as the host to see anything.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Oh god this is loving horrifying. It’s apparently not a bug with input delay it’s a change from the previous game to roll on release instead of roll on press

Really hope that through some miracle this gets patched or I’ll have to beg for a refund

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Countblanc posted:

could someone explain how multiplayer works to me like an infant? i straight up dont understand the difference between the two co-op modes, they seem identical since both seem to require you to use an item as the host to see anything.

They are identical. But one puts the marker right at your feet, and the other puts it around the nearest summoning statue thingy. So you can use the second one while wandering around doing whatever without needing to backtrack to the boss room.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the consensus on acquiring arrows? Souls feel a lot less abundant than previous games, at least in the first area, but farming dumbass sheep for bones is boring and lame

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I looked up the name of the ending cheevos and I'm excited to see what the frenzied flame and stars ones are

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So gameplay tip:

leave white notes as often as possible if you think they're relevant

it seems if they get appraised while you're in game they heal you, so having other players appraise your notes is unambigously a good thing and incentivises to make notes for other players

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
So I found another river well, and, uh

The giant ants building a hive out of corpses and mangled, bloody limbs that have washed to the bottom of the world was loving terrifying.

This game is metal as gently caress and I love it

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You have it backwards. The armored core sword is based on the moonlight great sword, first seen in King's Field in 1994.

Huh that makes a lot more sense, thanks. All I remembered was that Armored Core was way older than the Souls games.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Do the golden markers leading away from the bonfires mean anything? I made my way to the southern region where I was asked to deliver a letter to a castle. I went to the castle, delivered the letter, killed the boss, got an achi, but the map still has those golden markers leading south. Did I miss anything?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's angel piss

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm at about 22 hours played. Nitpicking the bad things about this game..

The game seems extremely picky where you can and can't summon your ashes. Why have a feature in the game that the game won't even let you use? Also, bosses and even regular enemies in this seem way more relentless than usual souls, in a bad way. Dodge, hit, or dodge, dodge hit becomes dodge x 4, try to hit, eat the 5th attack. This annoys me more with regular enemies, especially in places where the game decides to mob you. Also, it definitely reads inputs a lot of the time. It's probably supposed to do that to punish healing hastily, but it makes playing any kind of caster really frustrating if whenever you push a button to cast a spell, whatever you are fighting reads the input and counters with no delay.

All in all, I don't see anything topping this for a while.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The triangular brass shield early enemies drop is the best medium shield and is so stupidly good that greatshields feel like something you should only ever do if your maximizing strength exclusively, and even them you'll get mostly small gains.

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the consensus on acquiring arrows? Souls feel a lot less abundant than previous games, at least in the first area, but farming dumbass sheep for bones is boring and lame

I don't use them because gently caress interacting with crafting.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

Do the golden markers leading away from the bonfires mean anything? I made my way to the southern region where I was asked to deliver a letter to a castle. I went to the castle, delivered the letter, killed the boss, got an achi, but the map still has those golden markers leading south. Did I miss anything?

It seems like they just point toward the next Grace in the intended order of the main storyline, I could definitely be wrong about that though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Any tips for Stormveil Castle's BOMB TOSSING BLADED FEET BIRDS? These guys make my camera go nuts, spend a disproportionate amount of time in the air, and aggro me forever so I can't even run past and ignore them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
wow there must be so many people just hanging around waiting to pounce on a golden summon sign. They just disappear so fast.