Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

Do the golden markers leading away from the bonfires mean anything? I made my way to the southern region where I was asked to deliver a letter to a castle. I went to the castle, delivered the letter, killed the boss, got an achi, but the map still has those golden markers leading south. Did I miss anything?

They don't seem to go away when you finish them, they just sort of point to the zones primary objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Barudak posted:

The triangular brass shield early enemies drop is the best medium shield and is so stupidly good that greatshields feel like something you should only ever do if your maximizing strength exclusively, and even them you'll get mostly small gains.

I don't use them because gently caress interacting with crafting.

Yeah the Brass Shield feels like the best shield that's been in a souls game since the Grass Crest Shield in DS1 before it got nerfed. It's crazy how good it is relative to everything else. And it's kind of a rare drop which sucks.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Artelier posted:

Any tips for Stormveil Castle's BOMB TOSSING BLADED FEET BIRDS? These guys make my camera go nuts, spend a disproportionate amount of time in the air, and aggro me forever so I can't even run past and ignore them

Shield up and then R2 to get them on their back. Then murder them (I don't like killing birds).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah it seems that every section of the map has a Big Important Dungeon and that's what the trails of grace lead towards

Mia Antifa
Sep 12, 2011

nazi punks fuck off
Mid gamish? radahn can suck a fat one. Fromsoft really be pushing the limit on some of these bosses.

Naturally beat it right after posting. For those who need help:

use your horse and let your summins do as much as possible. combine that with hit and run tactics and youll make it. also just dont bother summoning patches. no idea how anyone would beat this on a lvl1 run or without hitting up rennas (?) questline.

Mia Antifa fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 27, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Artelier posted:

Any tips for Stormveil Castle's BOMB TOSSING BLADED FEET BIRDS? These guys make my camera go nuts, spend a disproportionate amount of time in the air, and aggro me forever so I can't even run past and ignore them

Aggro them, back off so they miss the bomb lob, then guard counter them. Or lob some firebombs/fireballs at them to blow up their barrels from underneath them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mia Antifa posted:

Mid gamish? radahn can suck a fat one. Fromsoft really be pushing the limit on some of these bosses.

That one is absolutely intended to be the toughest of the early zone bosses since endgame quests and areas are locked behind beating him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RevolverDivider posted:

Oh god this is loving horrifying. It’s apparently not a bug with input delay it’s a change from the previous game to roll on release instead of roll on press

Really hope that through some miracle this gets patched or I’ll have to beg for a refund

yep, and it loving stinks

if you're on PC, you can do what i did, which is set up an AHK macro for a specific button to make it register keypress down on your dodge and then immediately register keypress up, and then just bind sprint to a different button

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Barudak posted:

I don't use them because gently caress interacting with crafting.

Completely not interesting in crafting as well. Collecting random herbs and butterflies seems like a total concession to standard open world games and I'm surprised it is in this one. Am I missing anything cool by skipping crafting?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mia Antifa posted:

Amazing boss. Summoning in like 9 people to all bum rush him at the top of the hill and getting wiped out anyway was one of the high points so far. Think he's a bit beyond my means at level 36, going to come back later.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Anyone know which merchant sells the fire weapon grease recipe? I must have missed him because I can craft five different kinds of grease but not fire.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've diligently been collecting every single recipe book and have entered the crafting menu a grand total of zero times

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i've diligently been collecting every single recipe book and have entered the crafting menu a grand total of zero times

Same.

Wait no I opened it once to learn what you can make, was disappointed, and havent touched it since.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i make bombs, arrows, and plenty of tasty raisins for torrent

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy poo poo, Leonine Misbegotten was stupidly easy with heavy attacks and the jellyfish. The poison sprays and the attacks both stagger him, so I basically had him stunlocked the whole time

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Personally I think this is one of the easier From games simply because I can just go somewhere else if I don't feel like fighting a boss and then come back more powerful and stomp on whatever it was giving me trouble.

That's what I did for Margit, I turned him into paste with a +8 Longsword and Godrick died on the very first attempt, which was very underwhelming but also funny.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Robo Reagan posted:

merchants seem to sell starting gear. i've found a few sets, so I assume all of them can at least be purchased

I hope so, I have decided I really want to Vagabond chest, but I started as a Wretch.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Artelier posted:

Shield counter is your friend. Those enemies have pretty low posture and a single shield counter is enough to knock them out of the air and leave them stunned on the ground where you can easily finish them off.

Might be weapon dependent though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Judge Tesla posted:

Personally I think this is one of the easier From games simply because I can just go somewhere else if I don't feel like fighting a boss and then come back more powerful and stomp on whatever it was giving me trouble.

That's what I did for Margit, I turned him into paste with a +8 Longsword and Godrick died on the very first attempt, which was very underwhelming but also funny.

dang, i've only found enough smithstones to get two weapons to +2

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Are groups passwords case-sensitive?

Adding both LLJK and lljk seem to result in some separate bloodstains/message so far (more seem to be in the all caps one)

Just FYI

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah double tapping dodge reflexively is button mashing. You got me.

Uncontrolled extra button presses is literally button mashing you passive aggressive dork. Be more precise with your inputs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I went down a well elevator and holy loving poo poo I wasn't expecting ruins in a loving galaxy cavern. I'm equal parts mesmerized and in terror because of the unnerving music.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Vermain posted:

yep, and it loving stinks

if you're on PC, you can do what i did, which is set up an AHK macro for a specific button to make it register keypress down on your dodge and then immediately register keypress up, and then just bind sprint to a different button

Nope, on PS4. I’m gonna put it down for a month to play other things and pray to god they patch this

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RevolverDivider posted:

Nope, on PS4. I’m gonna put it down for a month to play other things and pray to god they patch this

it was similarly slow in DS3 so i wouldn't hold my breath too much

one day fromsoft's r&d will advance up the tech tree enough to figure out how to separate out the dodge roll and sprint buttons, but that day is not today

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Uhh, I think I found a bug? These zombies keep spawning out of the water and I get souls from them. I've farmed like 5K souls already.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Vermain posted:

one day fromsoft's r&d will advance up the tech tree enough to figure out how to separate out the dodge roll and sprint buttons, but that day is not today

the controller people simply do not have enough button like us keyboard lords, tsk tsk

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

dang, i've only found enough smithstones to get two weapons to +2

It's probably related to the fact I skipped Stormveil Castle without realizing it since I just went exploring around the side and found myself in Liurnia at like Lv 6 (I picked Wretch) and then got myself teleported right outside the Wizard School so I've had a much wider range of areas than many people here to look around in.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Judge Tesla posted:

It's probably related to the fact I skipped Stormveil Castle without realizing it since I just went exploring around the side and found myself in Liurnia at like Lv 6 (I picked Wretch) and then got myself teleported right outside the Wizard School so I've had a much wider range of areas than many people here to look around in.

:getin: i wouldn't mind being teleported to a wizard school full of loot if you can slip me a map location

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Vermain posted:

It definitely didn’t feel the same. I’ve played a ton of DS3 and played it again a few months ago and never ever had this feeling from it or any Fromsoft game.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like ER here is kinda stingy with the runes here. I'm in Stormveil Castle after giving that one loving guy a well deserved stomp after i went and upgraded a bit, and now I'm fighting some hairy poo poo that still pays out as well or even worse then those goobers back out in the country.

98 runes for one of those loving hawks with sword feet AND a flamethrower? Cheapskate jerks! :argh:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I explored all over the place and ended up with a +2 weapon and loads of higher-tier mats I couldn't use. I finally found enough tier 1 shards to get to +3 and then instantly zipped to +8.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

C'mon game i need like a big pile (or vendor) of the basic level 1 smith stones please. It's not the end of the world, but i blew a bunch on a random greatsword then like 10 minutes later found a claymore and that's one of my favorites! But i can't enhance the drat thing now. And as much as i love this zweihander, i have a bunch of ashes that just don't work on it, however the fact that it's +6 makes it hard to set aside for these less souped up swords even to experiment with them.

e:

Judge Tesla posted:

If wizard school happens to have a few stones i'm leaving this stupid castle and heading there now (well, tomorrow)

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Beat Margret the Fell on my first try. Glinting Pebble, a jellyfish, and an NPC made him a bitch.

I could see how melee builds would have s tough time though. He hits like a freight train.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
grafted

maybe it's just because i'm getting the game better but grafted felt a lot easier than margit. also the time I beat him he bugged out and didn't go into his second phase.I felt guilty about that so i co-oped until i helped someone beat him. The grab in the second phase is hilarious.

GODKILLER FLAME

what the gently caress i used all my stored soul items to by this drat black flame weapon and it lasts for like literally 7 seconds. What am I supposed to do with that?!!?

Mia Antifa
Sep 12, 2011

nazi punks fuck off

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Amazing boss. Summoning in like 9 people to all bum rush him at the top of the hill and getting wiped out anyway was one of the high points so far. Think he's a bit beyond my means at level 36, going to come back later.

Big agree. The spectacle is pretty amazing. Think i hust beat him around lvl 38 but I'm also sort of stuck on figuring out what the natural progression through the game is supposed to be. Already did godrick and fools idol/ rom mashup woman and id gotten up to that boss relatively easy. Maybe im just not utilizing all the available mechanics. Game still amazing though- fromsoft really do make you feel the lowest lows before you hit the highest highs :darksouls:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

someone did mention you can start buying unlimited stones from a merchant ala dark souls 2/3 but as to what triggers their availability and what merchant they're bought from, i cannot say

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

if you beat the mariner, D will mark a place on your map you can get to. if you go there, and leave out the big door and sneak past the Big Boi that will try to get you, there are little goblin things that give you 1096 per kill. you can farm about 15 of them in a few minutes (backstab them they are strong if you are lower level).

there's even another grace way down by a bridge that you can make your spawn point

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 27, 2022

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna burst people's bubbles because the wizard school in Liurnia was locked and needed a key to open, it was more that I had the entire area to explore early is how I found smithstones.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Before I take the plunge and commit to upgrading a weapon for a while, are there any really obviously rad-tastic quality or STR weapons in the first area? I've already found the large club, zweihander, and greataxe, and if I don't find something pancake-ier in the next bit that's probably where I'll end up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm completely new to 'Souls' games, are we just expected to forfeit runes all the time? I keep going back to where I dropped them just to get absolutely decimated.