Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Taking the oligarch's toys isn't going to stop the war, and believing otherwise is hopelessly naïve. They don't run the show: Putin does, and his motivation to invade Ukraine has nothing to do with money.

The relationship is a bit more complex than that. The oligarchs are definitely strongly influenced by Putin but Putin needs their support and in return he makes them rich. Beyond that they don't seem to have any particular loyalty to him or to Putin's dreams of restoring the Russian empire so it's entirely feasible that some or all of them decide that there's more money to be made with someone else running the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Majorian posted:

This exactly, and he retains their support as long as he keeps making them money. Cut that line of support off, and they will sideline him just like they sidelined Yeltsin before him.
People have been saying that Putin has consolidated his power for years and years. What if the oligarchs cannot run him out of town the way they did to Yeltsin? What if they are mostly suborned or afraid of being outright murdered? Is there a point where this would be possible, or is it axiomatic that if the oligarchs have not yet run him out of office, then the West has not applied sufficient pressure?

This all seems like a complex structure that started out by explaining actions and ended up excusing them.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497815751662739456?s=20&t=G78cfaP_oEFL3NzsECEHUg

No updates from Chernihiv or other Ukrainian friends and family. It's early there, so I'll try not to worry too much.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
After the sanctions have been used you are left with military action, and nuclear fire I guess. That does not alter that if there ever is a time to use all sanctions it's now. Unless you wanna surrender to Putin, which could be argued as the lesser of two evils, that is the only course of action.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
So I'm getting the feeling from the soldiers and general population reaction that the Russian people are pretty much North Koreans with some modern amenities?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Isn't the idea of sanctions that you can stop sanctioning the other party when they agree to stop being a fuckup? If you completely ban Russia from SWIFT and Russia capitulates and comes to the table, you now have readmittance to SWIFT as a bargaining chip.

Yeah if Russia halted the invasion and fully withdrew they right now they could just undo the SWIFT ban and things go mostly back to normal for Russia. If you seize all oligarch property I'm guessing that's a lot harder to then hand back if Russia decides to stand down. I get the sense of urgency many are feeling that we need to do everything we can to save Ukraine right now but I think there is some legitimacy to escalating these sanctions over time and making Russians and Putin's backers question how bad things might get for them the longer this drags on. If you play all your cards right out of the gate you have now lost all negotiating power and Putin will have no reason to hold back.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Greg of Doom posted:

So I'm getting the feeling from the soldiers and general population reaction that the Russian people are pretty much North Koreans with some modern amenities?
It sounds like life in Russia is OK if maybe a little ramshackle in some ways if you live in a city or are, generally speaking, in the upper or middle classes; and if you are in the lower-middle classes or the working classes, or you are not in the major cities, well, it's pretty lovely.

There does seem to be suggestion that Putin called an audible about all of this stuff and people were improperly geared as well as having "BTW, you're invading Ukraine for real" dropped on them at the last possible minute.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Nessus posted:

People have been saying that Putin has consolidated his power for years and years. What if the oligarchs cannot run him out of town the way they did to Yeltsin? What if they are mostly suborned or afraid of being outright murdered? Is there a point where this would be possible, or is it axiomatic that if the oligarchs have not yet run him out of office, then the West has not applied sufficient pressure?

This all seems like a complex structure that started out by explaining actions and ended up excusing them.

Putin knows he is vulnerable to this kind of thing and has been making sure he is protected for years. But, he is one man and regardless of what he does, how many thugs he hires, he still cannot stop it if the people truly turn against him.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Also, I admit I'm not too up on the specifics myself but wasn't there thread discussion earlier about how the SWIFT ban is big, but the central bank asset freeze is bigger? Like, "potentially shatter the Russian economy" big. Which is...admittedly a pretty poo poo deal for the average Russian on the street but I would have thought that would have oligarchs howling as is.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

gay picnic defence posted:

The relationship is a bit more complex than that. The oligarchs are definitely strongly influenced by Putin but Putin needs their support and in return he makes them rich. Beyond that they don't seem to have any particular loyalty to him or to Putin's dreams of restoring the Russian empire so it's entirely feasible that some or all of them decide that there's more money to be made with someone else running the show.

It's a complex relationship for sure, but at the end of the day Putin is still the one firmly in control — he is the one, after all, that has command of the FSB's assassins, and there are rumors that his personal wealth eclipses that of the rest of the oligarchs combined.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Popete posted:

Yeah if Russia halted the invasion and fully withdrew they right now they could just undo the SWIFT ban and things go mostly back to normal for Russia. If you seize all oligarch property I'm guessing that's a lot harder to then hand back if Russia decides to stand down. I get the sense of urgency many are feeling that we need to do everything we can to save Ukraine right now but I think there is some legitimacy to escalating these sanctions over time and making Russians and Putin's backers question how bad things might get for them the longer this drags on. If you play all your cards right out of the gate you have now lost all negotiating power and Putin will have no reason to hold back.

That is the total opposite to what I'm saying. I'm saying you hit hard with everything you got and dangle it in front of them as a carrot to cooperate. If you slowly turn up the heat, you're just playing into sunk cost fallacy.

If full sanctions isn't enough to stop Russia, it wouldn't be enough now or a week from now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tomn posted:

Also, I admit I'm not too up on the specifics myself but wasn't there thread discussion earlier about how the SWIFT ban is big, but the central bank asset freeze is bigger? Like, "potentially shatter the Russian economy" big. Which is...admittedly a pretty poo poo deal for the average Russian on the street but I would have thought that would have oligarchs howling as is.

It's much bigger, which makes this all yelling about SWIFT or yacht seizures look simply silly. Russian money markets will turn into a corn cob on Monday.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I was in favor of being slow. But then they sent paratroopers to Kiev and Putin said in a speech that Lenin made a mistake when he gave, for example, Finland independence.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ukraine now calling for allies to provide more offensive capability in the wake of the Russian shift to targeting civilian infrastructure and nuclear storage locations

https://twitter.com/UmlandAndreas/status/1497813630942945283?t=f-vFHiMVILV41nP38_vAkg&s=19

Asking for tanks? Drones? "Unaffilated units"? It's left slightly ambiguous

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

That is the total opposite to what I'm saying. I'm saying you hit hard with everything you got and dangle it in front of them as a carrot to cooperate. If you slowly turn up the heat, you're just playing into sunk cost fallacy.

If full sanctions isn't enough to stop Russia, it wouldn't be enough now or a week from now.

If you pull all the stops right now and Putin continues to invade then what is left? Maybe there is an uprising in Russia or maybe he weathers the storm for a few weeks and then he feels completely unfettered to do whatever it takes to win.

I'm not saying one way or the other is right, just that I can see a legitimate tactic to leaving something in the tank at this stage (day 3 of the invasion). Will any of this ultimately matter and save Ukraine? No I don't think so, at least not in the immediate future. Putin seems determined to win this war, whether he can hold onto Ukraine or even his hold on Russia months from now is totally up in the air.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1497721454250508288

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1494981580468621313

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's a complex relationship for sure, but at the end of the day Putin is still the one firmly in control — he is the one, after all, that has command of the FSB's assassins, and there are rumors that his personal wealth eclipses that of the rest of the oligarchs combined.

For sure, but by targeting the oligarchs you are targeting the only people who have any chance of putting pressure on him (aside from a popular uprising among civilians or the armed forces).

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
i can’t vouch for this footage but it looks nuts

nothing NMS

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1497820400608231425?s=21

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

One thing I've been wondering: is it possible that you go too hard on the economic/personal sanctions and make the inner circle double down instead of trying to do something more nefarious or bring them/Putin to the negotiating table? I could imagine them thinking "well now I definitely have nothing to lose, so let's just commit to our guy 200% and see how far we can ride this." In this case, perhaps there's an argument for a strong but incremental approach?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tomn posted:

Yes it is huge, and precisely because it hits the real Russian economy and not rich guys in London and Paris like Swift might. Putin's legitimacy rests on the fact that he saved Russia from the economic chaos of the 90s. On Monday the rouble is going to start to collapse as the central bank will be unable to use is Euro assets to service debt and buy roubles to sure up their value. The point where a loaf of bread costs a million roubles and you can't withdraw cash from the bank is the point when ordinary people stop supporting Putin.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
:(

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1497814350509318146

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If the stakes weren't so high I would actually love to see unmarked Patriot batteries and drones and unmarked f-35s doing their thing and the United States just saying "well they are unmarked we have no idea who they could be :shrug:"

Little gray predator drones

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

gay picnic defence posted:

For sure, but by targeting the oligarchs you are targeting the only people who have any chance of putting pressure on him (aside from a popular uprising among civilians or the armed forces).

I do absolutely agree with this, but unfortunately that probably won't be enough.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am losing my poo poo right now

Caros
May 14, 2008

That feeling when the cheque bounces.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia setting the stage for major bombing

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1497819987121254403?t=cIK6GNDLPTunq8k5y1i3oA&s=19

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How is Putin going to pay Tulsi if Russia can't use SWIFT

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

There's a ton of video floating around. Downside of daylight

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497823759734132740?t=ACQQgQqiI9qnR9HuZ3jxIQ&s=19

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
please do not get me fuckin' started on tulsi gabbard, i may be the only hindu on the forums and i have Opinions about both her and the fascist hindutva monsters she and the cult she's in support in India

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

dominoeffect posted:

One thing I've been wondering: is it possible that you go too hard on the economic/personal sanctions and make the inner circle double down instead of trying to do something more nefarious or bring them/Putin to the negotiating table? I could imagine them thinking "well now I definitely have nothing to lose, so let's just commit to our guy 200% and see how far we can ride this." In this case, perhaps there's an argument for a strong but incremental approach?

It is, there comes a point that you have nothing further to threaten them with and in that case what do you do if they decide to just keep going? If some of these sanctions are going to take weeks or months for their full effect to be felt it's important to keep something in reserve in case that doesn't work, even if it feels like western nations aren't doing everything possible to help Ukraine right now. They just have to hope Ukraine can hold on for long enough for the sanctions to really start to bite.

Similarly, it's probably also really important to leave a way out of this that lets Russia/Putin save face. Otherwise they'll just double down until they're forcibly removed, because there's no way Putin would agree to any kind of settlement that looks like he's been kicked out with his tail between his legs. That might mean the west recognising those separatist territories or something like that.

I think the only realistic alternative for ending the invasion would be Putin getting couped.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yes it is huge, and precisely because it hits the real Russian economy and not rich guys in London and Paris like Swift might. Putin's legitimacy rests on the fact that he saved Russia from the economic chaos of the 90s. On Monday the rouble is going to start to collapse as the central bank will be unable to use is Euro assets to service debt and buy roubles to sure up their value. The point where a loaf of bread costs a million roubles and you can't withdraw cash from the bank is the point when ordinary people stop supporting Putin.

Assuming the average Russian is well informed enough to make the link between the invasion and the economic destruction, and doesn't just believe the inevitable 'western aggression against peaceful Russian intentions' line that state TV will be spewing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

Putin has consolidated power overall, but it still rests on that important foundation of "we'll support you as long as you keep making us money." Up until recently he's been pretty good on that front. But his mishandling of COVID, his period of isolation during the pandemic, and now this likely-to-be disastrous war of choice haven't been good for the oligarchs' bottom lines. I obviously can't promise that the West cutting deeper into their bottom lines will lead to them sidelining him or tugging on the reins as far as his imperial ambitions are concerned. But I can say that the angry snarls we're hearing from folks like Medvedev in response to these ideas even being discussed are encouraging.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

How is Putin going to pay Tulsi if Russia can't use SWIFT
It's gonna be pretty loving funny if about sixty percent of the people taking Putin's side abruptly change opinions over the next billing cycle.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah wonder if Tucker Carlson is going to puill a full 180

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nessus posted:

It's gonna be pretty loving funny if about sixty percent of the people taking Putin's side abruptly change opinions over the next billing cycle.

It will be very interesting indeed to spot which GOP candidates are suspiciously light in the pocket come midterm election season.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Popete posted:

If you pull all the stops right now and Putin continues to invade then what is left? Maybe there is an uprising in Russia or maybe he weathers the storm for a few weeks and then he feels completely unfettered to do whatever it takes to win.

I'm not saying one way or the other is right, just that I can see a legitimate tactic to leaving something in the tank at this stage (day 3 of the invasion). Will any of this ultimately matter and save Ukraine? No I don't think so, at least not in the immediate future. Putin seems determined to win this war, whether he can hold onto Ukraine or even his hold on Russia months from now is totally up in the air.

I guess what I'm saying is if you pull all the stops and he keeps invading, he would have kept invading no matter what you did - just now you know that a week in advance. Slowly turning the heat up ineffectively feels like you're doing something but is really just putting you at more of a disadvantage.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

please do not get me fuckin' started on tulsi gabbard, i may be the only hindu on the forums and i have Opinions about both her and the fascist hindutva monsters she and the cult she's in support in India

lol what?

What's her story anyway? How is she involved with Russia?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This is crazy. Full daylight video, filming with a playground in the foreground. There's exchange of fire at the end but no one's hit on screen. I'll spoiler it if necessary, let me know

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497824591569252352?t=ne2WfTbH77i26CX-quoTBA&s=19

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Caros posted:

That feeling when the cheque bounces.

Probably going to be seeing a lot of that in the coming days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Despera posted:

Yeah wonder if Tucker Carlson is going to puill a full 180

There is video of him from back in 2019 of why he should care about Ukraine, and that he's on Putins side