Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Any updates on how Kharkiv is holding out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Liquid Communism posted:

I disagree on this one Fritz.

It's homophobic in that it's intended for him to be seen as a 'lesser man' due to the implications about orientation. Not cool stuff and frames being queer as something to be shamed by.

That's fair, I read it as punching back against Russia's virulent anti-LGBTQ+ stance. As a "gently caress you" to Putin, sort of how "f____t" has been reclaimed as a term of endearment by some in the community.

It's not super relevant to the thread topic tho which is the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Treatment of LGBTQ+ people in Russia is somewhat related.

(disclosure: I'm a queer horse and I don't think there's a single right answer on this, it's complicated and also not very on topic)

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Xotl posted:

There's been a lot of "freezing central bank assets is the super omega financial powerplay" type-posting. Anyone with more of a financial background: can anyone explain why Putin/Russia, which seems to have taken such careful steps towards autarky or long-term supply hoarding as part of his run up to this obviously planned war, seems to have missed preparing for this step? Is there something inherent in the structure of finance that meant there was no way it could have really been mitigated against?

Correct it’s inherent to how open currencies work. This was posted here before on it. It’s the hill lol but it’s an article in the past that explains it well.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/592272-to-prevent-an-invasion-of-ukraine-threaten-to-sanction-russias

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Flesnolk posted:

Any updates on how Kharkiv is holding out?

Well, according to all the recent twitter posts, the Russians are lost and driving in circles and being picked off as they stop and back up and try to find their destination.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
NBC article states that Nova Kakhovka is completely in Russian hands but the stream seems pretty chill, People shopping and stuff.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/live-blog/russia-ukraine-live-updates-n1290057/ncrd1290083

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUnx7HoA1LM

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Hand Row posted:

Correct it’s inherent to how open currencies work. This was posted here before on it. It’s the hill lol but it’s an article in the past that explains it well.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/592272-to-prevent-an-invasion-of-ukraine-threaten-to-sanction-russias

Perfect, thanks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Abandoned Russian vehicles at Shevchenko street in Kharkiv. Russian SOF hiding in civilian residences

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Xotl posted:

There's been a lot of "freezing central bank assets is the super omega financial powerplay" type-posting. Anyone with more of a financial background: can anyone explain why Putin/Russia, which seems to have taken such careful steps towards autarky or long-term supply hoarding as part of his run up to this obviously planned war, seems to have missed preparing for this step? Is there something inherent in the structure of finance that meant there was no way it could have really been mitigated against?

I'd actually appreciate a full explanation myself since I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around finance, but here's some posts from when this was brought up earlier:

steinrokkan posted:

My brain no understand economic good, but wouldn't Russia's central bank assets be deposited domestically?

Morrow posted:

Sticking to my lane here, a huge chunk of their savings are probably in foreign currencies because of the expectation of a drop in the rouble. If you're expecting to lose 10-20% of the value from a invasion, you're going to move a lot of wealth to a more stable asset.

coelomate posted:

Their central bank has reserves of foreign currency. Ostensibly such sanctions can dramatically limit the ability for that foreign currency to be used.

Servetus posted:

I think they mean restrict the Russian central bank from doing business outside of Russia. So the central bank won't be able to buy back Russian currency overseas in exchange for foreign currency holdings, meaning Rubles can't be exchanged for other other currencies, potentially collapsing the Ruble as it loses the capacity to purchase anything outside of Russia.

Beaten, not surprisingly given the speed of this thread.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

As Russia needs to sell a lot of fossil fuels in dollars and euros and then buy goods in those same currencies a major part of their reserves will be banked with the Federal Reserve and the ECB so they don't have to covert them to roubles. This is why some currencies are called "reserve currencies" because countries maintain a large portion of their reserves in these currencies instead of their own.

ZombieLenin posted:

Putin can get around, in a kind of laborious and painful way, a lot of the banking sanctions so far precisely because the Russian Central Bank stockpiled foreign currency after the initial sanctions placed on Russia after the annexation of Crimea—for just that purpose.

If the Russian Central Bank is prevented from using and converting that currency by being denied access to other central banks, the Russian financial system is well and truly hosed and may collapse.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

the freezing of the russian central banks assets is enormous. The russian government has been desperately trying to prop up the rouble for the last few days, with their foreign reserves frozen you are very much in a hyperinflation situation as they try to keep the economy liquid. Expect runs on banks and sovereign debt defaults.

e:beaten and with a more in-depth source

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Pretty consistent actually if you read the last line

No war but class war.

Then again I’m not surprised by this threads reactions and takes considering homophobic garbage like this is posted:

Uh huh, well why not go post in the class war thread in that case, this one is about the war in Ukraine and your takes are bad and simplistic.

And that picture is a protest image that originated in the LGBT community in opposition to Putin's anti-LGBT stance. Simply calling it homophobic garbage is pretty reductive. A man in drag isn't shameful unless you believe it should be, which is the original point.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Xotl posted:

when germany buys gas from russia, they pay for it in euros. Russia needs to hold foreign currency because not only is it a smart thing to do, but most enterprises won't accept rubles. Keep in mind that these monies are not physically held by russia, but are 1s and 0s in a fancy bank spreadsheet. essentially, this is a means of denying russia the ability to turn those euros/dollars into rubles by blocking those transactions. it is a feature of how money works now.

e:fb

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

KitConstantine posted:

Well it looks like the Russian group that entered Kharkiv may have just gotten lost - they're driving in circles.

Looks like taking down street signs works

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1497834960857800704?t=j4jOkCMuYE4M1gfuOC7-Gg&s=19

Imagine if there were a few dudes with RPGs holed up in some of those buildings. Those vehicles would be toast.

KitConstantine posted:

Russia thinks the country that just shot a cruise missile at Kyiv is perfect neutral ground for peace talks.

What a farce

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497833230904532994?t=NcbRG91ERtIY5xh0guIQiA&s=19

Is it significant that they're actually proposing peace talks? Or is that just a statement to make them seem like they're being reasonable when they know the offer will never be accepted?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

VorpalBunny posted:

Well, according to all the recent twitter posts, the Russians are lost and driving in circles and being picked off as they stop and back up and try to find their destination.

https://twitter.com/NR1Brasil/status/1497839765613428738

https://twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/status/1497821904677310464

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Tomn posted:

I'd actually appreciate a full explanation myself since I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around finance, but here's some posts from when this was brought up earlier:

e:beaten and with a more in-depth source

Still, much obliged.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Pls stop quoting the "worked as an analyst of powerful men" guy who was wrong about every single thing he predicted re:putin

Put every single "neorealist realpolitiks russia-understander" in the bin

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fill Baptismal posted:

Is paratrooper a sufficiently specialized role that they're special forces or elites? I guess I hope so, it's a little less bad if the 100+ people who died on those planes getting shot down were career military rather than 19-20 year olds. What a loving awful way die, sent in a slow awkward plane into a war zone.

Glad those planes got downed, don't get me down. Still, grim poo poo.

The matter here was a specific storied unit being deployed. Greyjoy doesn't imply that all Russian paratroopers are elite.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

Is it significant that they're actually proposing peace talks? Or is that just a statement to make them seem like they're being reasonable when they know the offer will never be accepted?

I suspect the latter, so does Zelenskyy

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1497836356390825987?t=U__xJ9MxpdKuyzYKGsDRcQ&s=19

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://twitter.com/Genetry_/status/1497793188630712322

this account has a few videos from Kharkiv, mostly from last night

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Imagine if there were a few dudes with RPGs holed up in some of those buildings. Those vehicles would be toast.

They are proposing peace talks on territory that is at war with Ukraine. Literally enemy territory with no neutrality involved.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Are you saying they dropped a bomber?

That's amazing if true.

However it's a war crime because the Ukrainians destroyed a peace keeping bomber

No, that bomber shot a cruise missile from Belarus airspace onto Kyiv. The missile got shot down by the air defence.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Pretty sure this is a reverse shot of the same scene:

https://twitter.com/19_daniel_s/status/1497841115747307520

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

There's some unconfirmed reports that 5000 contract soldiers have mutinied or defected and that Putin fired the Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces, Valery Gerasimov, at least according to an Ukrainian MP.
https://twitter.com/nadinbrzezinski/status/1497779772109123591?s=20&t=YWSOZX1-jMczBRdEwzuV2A

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I wonder if Ukraine still has a decent stockpile of personal antitank missiles. Using those from building windows while convoys drive on the street below would be incredibly effective. Especially the convoys that are mixed with infantry and moving slowly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

They've been saying it since the thing started, but nobody from Ukraine is picking up the phone. Seems more like the negotiation they had planned for the newly installed puppet government where they get everything they demand, but nobody has told them what has happened yet.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Somaen posted:

Pls stop quoting the "worked as an analyst of powerful men" guy who was wrong about every single thing he predicted re:putin

Put every single "neorealist realpolitiks russia-understander" in the bin

Who are you talking about?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia seems to have launched a bunch of offensives this morning - lots of fighting in Buncha near Kyiv

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497840450203488261?t=JZBRWC4SVafQnc-AoD6x2A&s=19

And video

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497840443803017218?t=Ebl0LKqRXxPEK3qpQdAhGw&s=19

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Given from earlier statements they're taking cruise missile fire from within Belarus, it doesn't seem likely to be in good faith to me. Definitely nothing like neutral ground.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

As funny as it is watching the supposed number 2 strongest military be befuddled by removal of street signs and drive in circles, do they really not have a basic GPS?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Fritz the Horse posted:

That's fair, I read it as punching back against Russia's virulent anti-LGBTQ+ stance. As a "gently caress you" to Putin, sort of how "f____t" has been reclaimed as a term of endearment by some in the community.

If I remember correctly, the story about that image is that it was put together by Russian LGBT protest groups opposing the govt's clear homophobia, then it turned out to infuriate putin so much that he lashed out against that specific depiction of him with the full force of the law, creating some infamy for the image, streisand effect style

Don't know how much of that is true but that would make it a historical plot point re: russia's homophobic culture crusades

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

https://twitter.com/OSICnick/status/1497842865480732676?s=20&t=smCzfKYe86zPb2bpLymCSQ

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Leal posted:

As funny as it is watching the supposed number 2 strongest military be befuddled by removal of street signs and drive in circles, do they really not have a basic GPS?

I want to believe that they are indeed lost and are driving around to find their way, but I can't imagine this to be true (happy to be wrong though!)

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Fritz the Horse posted:

It's not super relevant to the thread topic tho which is the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Treatment of LGBTQ+ people in Russia is somewhat related.

(disclosure: I'm a queer horse and I don't think there's a single right answer on this, it's complicated and also not very on topic)

A reverse image search turned up that it originated from a since-deleted tumblr that used the image in protest of their anti-LGBTQIA2+ laws. Then it was used at protests near the games at Sochi (check what's on his forehead there), and eventually banned in Russia classified as extremist material. Really seems like it's purely to piss him off, nothing else; though it's easy to see how/why it would be seen differently.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Leal posted:

I'm not sure if the buildings are tall enough, but GPS can have a hard time in big cities. Plus even GPS uses street names, and if you get turned around and have a bunch of dudes arguing with each other and you're getting shot at and yoh know that fire could come from any window and

I can see how they would get stressed and turned around

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Play posted:

I wonder if Ukraine still has a decent stockpile of personal antitank missiles. Using those from building windows while convoys drive on the street below would be incredibly effective. Especially the convoys that are mixed with infantry and moving slowly.

They've been getting heaps of various types from the west with more on the way. Whether it can get from the western border to the fighting in the east is another question I guess.

Franks Happy Place posted:

Looks like those guys have scored a bit of weaponry amongst all the poo poo in those trucks. I assume it's similar enough to their own that they'll be able to put it to good use.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Part of me is fascinated being on the front lines of this stuff, but I worry this is desensitizing in some ways. These guys are just so casual about this, it just doesn't seem real.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i cant think of many neutral countries in the region for negotiations. switzerland maybe?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

Part of me is fascinated being on the front lines of this stuff, but I worry this is desensitizing in some ways.

Paradoxically it is both desensitizing (in that you become causal about loud noises, the risk of death at any moment, etc) but hypersensitizing (you are trying to avoid that death, obviously).

That's the delicious meatball we call PTSD.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

How is it mocking Putin, what is the main driving mechanism in the insult?

Main driving insult of that is Putin's macho persona, and personal politics, or maybe insecurities, that drove him to foster one of the most hostile in Europe environments for sexual minorities. It portrays him as not as cishet sigma male he believes he is, but as someone he despises. Russia's government authorities no joke will chase you down for wearing this in public, for reference.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This is pretty goddamn funny - Ukrainian locals capture a t 90 tank, tie up the driver, and steal it. I think the guy in the middle in the back is the driver, and they're all pretty clearly making fun of him

https://twitter.com/hochu_dodomu/status/1497834362754244610?t=HpU2pXBbcN3T5FMRPr-Fnw&s=19

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Franks Happy Place posted:

I don't have a baseline as to what's expected to be lost in urban combat, but this seems like a lot? There are a minimum of 5 vehicles with supplies and accompanying troops, and this isn't the only video from this morning with similar losses. Is their MO to just drive into hostile cities with motorized vehicles and hope for the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Who are you talking about?

Majorian in particular

Ready for my probe, thread too fast to follow