Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Cuttlefush posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering if the dodge roll always had the amount of input delay it does in Elden Ring due to sprint/dodge being on the same bind, no. Dark Souls Remaster, Prepare to Die Edition, and DS3 have more or less instant dodge roll if you press a direction input and the dodge/sprint key at the same time. In Elden Ring you need to have pressed a directional input for some amount of time (feels like a couple hundrd milliseconds) before the dodge/sprint button release will actually register and result in a dodge. You're not imagining things.

Has anyone measured how much?

And yeah, I'm enjoying most of the actual content of this game and the boss fights, but rolling does feel a bit off. I realize DS3 may have been too generous at times, but this feels outright clunky on occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Amazingly after banging my head for over an hour late last night trying to beat Magrit , ended up failing over and over, ended up beating him on the very first try after getting home from work today, only used the wolves. I feel like this is pretty common in Fromsoft games in where you just need some time off if you feel like you hit a wall.

Game owns.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Can’t make a good Trump character because the hair options are garbage. Opened a return ticket with Steam.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Take a minute at Scenic Isle to have a look around.

Mia Antifa
Sep 12, 2011

nazi punks fuck off
Just found where miyazki rediscovered his love for poison swamps lake of rot. imagine a souls swamp set in bloodborne but the swamp is toxic instead of poison :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Judge Tesla posted:

I can already see the Jellyfish spirit getting am HP reduction in a balance patch, it's such an incredible tank that poisons everything that there's no way it's intended to be so good.

Leave Jellyfish alone, FROM you cowards :mad:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Judge Tesla posted:

I can already see the Jellyfish spirit getting am HP reduction in a balance patch, it's such an incredible tank that poisons everything that there's no way it's intended to be so good.

I have yet to have the jellyfish poison anything
it's still my favorite summon because it firing from a distance means that when it grabs aggro, the boss needs to turn around and start moving towards it before it's in danger of getting attacked

the skeletons are my second favorites, because they just get right the gently caress back up when killed unless the enemy is smart enough to smack their corpses

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

phase 2 of third boss is rough. loving literal dragon, bloodhound knight, wolves, and troll summons? C'mon...

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mia Antifa posted:

Just found where miyazki rediscovered his love for poison swamps lake of rot. imagine a souls swamp set in bloodborne but the swamp is toxic instead of poison :gonk:

Also known as the pit Garl Vinland would throw you into.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Once you open the front gate in stormveil its hilarious trying to run up the 'right' way. It IS well defended.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 27, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Okay, how do I summon NPCs? I just don't get it. Do I need to use an item or something?

I know how to summon like jellyfish and wolves fine. But afaik NPCs count as something else?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You need to find their summon signs. I haven't seen many, at most 3 in over 30 hours. Two of those were at Stormveil and the third was in a sidedungeon.

I wasn't expecting my main miracle vendor to disappear. Any idea where he went?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I boosted my dex and faith. Is there some weapon or infusion that will let me scale with both?

Quality infusion makes it scale with both

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
One good thing about the messages is I’ve noticed people are leaving messages for events that only proc at a certain time of day, which is helpful

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Hopefully between being able to level up, upgrade my weapons, and now having summoning I can go beat some of the bosses who have been curb stomping me so far, I will fully admit that I am not happy about this game continuing the whole weight mechanics the Souls series used, would have been nice if they had gone the Bloodborne route and had equipment not effect your ability to dodge

those bosses being that beast man guy in that cave full of wolves and that weird dog statue thing, both have the issue where I can't really tank their attacks particularly well but I also can't dodge them particularly well either, which really hampers my ability to actually fight them to any real degree when combined with how anemic the healing system is as well(I'm honestly probably too spoiled by how good/plentiful Blood Vials were)

Mia Antifa
Sep 12, 2011

nazi punks fuck off

Judge Tesla posted:

Also known as the pit Garl Vinland would throw you into.

Guuuuuuuuh forgot about that one :dogstare: dark souls 2 really do be ahead of its time

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Hopefully between being able to level up, upgrade my weapons, and now having summoning I can go beat some of the bosses who have been curb stomping me so far, I will fully admit that I am not happy about this game continuing the whole weight mechanics the Souls series used, would have been nice if they had gone the Bloodborne route and had equipment not effect your ability to dodge

those bosses being that beast man guy in that cave full of wolves and that weird dog statue thing, both have the issue where I can't really tank their attacks particularly well but I also can't dodge them particularly well either, which really hampers my ability to actually fight them to any real degree when combined with how anemic the healing system is as well(I'm honestly probably too spoiled by how good/plentiful Blood Vials were)

One thing that always helps me is having one attempt at facing the boss and just practising dodging their moves, not even trying to attack. It's much easier to focus just on avoiding when you're not also trying to attack. Then once you've got that down you start throwing attacks in when you know it's safe.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I really love how plentiful the checkpoints seem to be early on at least, the little mini progresses you can make if you can only play a little at a time.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

drrockso20 posted:

every time i find new cool armor that i cant equip without fatrolling, i sigh
i found the equivalent of havel's ring and got excited, only to realize that it only adds like 8 pounds of weight, which is barely anything

i wish if they kept it they would've gone for a straight up unburdened/overburdened thing limit, i hate trying to figure out how close i am to 70%

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Level 55 and I'm pumping Mind now because I'm finding all sorts of cool summons and I wanna use that poo poo. Using the Page right now, shoots a fiery crossbow, pretty neat. I managed to fight a dragon that dropped 80k souls and the difference between when I started him and when I beat him was ridiculous. Figuring things out on that fight made me feel like a genius. The dude hanging out outside the beast clergy's church is pretty much impossible, though. He doesn't aggro until you attack, cause he knows he's hot poo poo and has nothing to worry about.

I came back to the Round Table and found that the Edgelord had disappeared and left his armor in his place. It has a passive effect that induces strong healing if you take damage below 25% health. That means if I get poisoned or scarlet rotted, this armor will keep me alive through the damage indefinitely. Pretty sweet. Also it turns my face into a spooky skellington so thanks for that. edit: lied. It'll protect me against poison forever but scarlet rot outdamages the heal. Sad.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 27, 2022

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
finally found a loving staff in demi human forest ruins only took 17 hours

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Artelier posted:

Okay, how do I summon NPCs? I just don't get it. Do I need to use an item or something?

I know how to summon like jellyfish and wolves fine. But afaik NPCs count as something else?

In addition to what else was said, some of the NPCs need to be encountered and spoken to first before their summon sign will appear - at least I had that experience before Godrick when I went exploring a little between attempts and discovered a very, very useful NPC who offered to come help out, at which point their summon sign was available outside the fog gate.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Alright, this is probably not the hardest fight, but it is certainly the most obnoxious one I've found so far. Whoever designed this (Black Knife Catacomb) Cemetary Shade + skeletons fight is a dick. Feels entirely random whether I'm allowed to do anything or not.

EDIT: Thanks for the summoning NPCs advice everyone! Found my first summon. :)

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 27, 2022

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I wasn't sure if dark souls + open world would work, but having been around a bit now I absolutely love it. To me it doesn't feel like an open world game, it just feels like dark souls finally at the scale it deserves. The amount of incredible and weird poo poo just everywhere on a massive scale is like nothing I've seen before. I need to stop reading this thread now because I don't have the self control not too spoil myself on stuff that would be way better to experience fresh. I've always liked games for the setting and world design more than most, and if this keeps it up it's gonna be one of my favourite games of all time.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I wasn't sure if dark souls + open world would work, but having been around a bit now I absolutely love it. To me it doesn't feel like an open world game, it just feels like dark souls finally at the scale it deserves. The amount of incredible and weird poo poo just everywhere on a massive scale is like nothing I've seen before. I need to stop reading this thread now because I don't have the self control not too spoil myself on stuff that would be way better to experience fresh. I've always liked games for the setting and world design more than most, and if this keeps it up it's gonna be one of my favourite games of all time.

Oh, this is a really good way of putting it. I think that's why I'm clicking with it so much - I really loved the fact that the original Dark Souls felt like one big interconnected map, and the subsequent games never really matched that (although I didn't get too far in DS3 so maybe I'm wrong there - anyone?). You always feel like you're navigating through the same place in a very cohesive way.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

Once you open the front gate in stormveil its hilarious trying to run up the 'right' way. It IS well defended.

this is the way i went up, dashed from the bridge bonfire to the boss bonfire. there are a lot of enemies and barricades, but you can easily slip through them all.

after beating the boss, i tried going up the 'easy' way and it's despicable.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

misbegotten warrior and crucible knight can gently caress off. I hate two on one boss fights.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

roomtone posted:

this is the way i went up, dashed from the bridge bonfire to the boss bonfire. there are a lot of enemies and barricades, but you can easily slip through them all.

after beating the boss, i tried going up the 'easy' way and it's despicable.

Haha yeah, I didn't even realize it was the front door, I was working my way through from reverse to see where it went, things went bad so I tried to run and holy shiiiit there are a lot of enemies :aaa:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there a group password

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

How do I get the Jellyfish summon if Roderika has already moved to Roundtable hold?

Timespy fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 27, 2022

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

infraboy posted:

I feel like this is pretty common in Fromsoft games in where you just need some time off if you feel like you hit a wall.

This has happened to me so many times in the souls series! It's like I'm less stressed about not loving up or something, causing my stupid thumb to not slam roll too early.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

10 hours in and I realized all these golden runes I have been picking up can be used from your inventory and give you runs. Just went up 5 levels immediately lol

blue squares fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 27, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The person in charge of dungeon teleporter points is a real jerk. Aka Azuria Heroes dungeon is a loving powerful rudeness for each attempt

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just found the river :stare: if this is as big as I think it is I have so much more ahead of me than I expected

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Cleared a bit more content, not feeling the game so I will probably give it more of go later if they can patch all the input bugs I'm finding out.

I don't like how the game's entire combat system feels like DS3's, where half the fights that I have seem to involve having to stunlock an enemy endlessly after interrupting their own 10 hit combo - there's basically no weight to the combat and you bat around enemies until they die. The weapon progression seems to be steeper than the other games and most optional bosses take forever to kill with them, but drawing out the combat that long doesn't make the actual engagement challenging, it's just a boring slog instead.

Worst boss for this was probably the caelid dragon which took about 40 tries to beat, but that was entirely because it took hundreds of hits to actually kill it and not for any actual reason related to challenge.

This and the problem with roll inputs dropping mean I don't think I've fought an enjoyable boss yet - it's more I fight the boss until my inputs don't drop and I get a favorable enough set of AI routines that don't just endlessly attack the whole time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TeaJay posted:

I picked up Sword of St. Trina which I think is supposed to have some kind of passive (Causes sleep buildup (66)) but I can't figure out how to use it. It won't trigger with R2, do I need to keep attacking with the sword to build it up?

Different enemies have different status resistances. Most human enemies seem resistant enough that they'll die before you get a proc, but beast-type enemies (and also giants for some reason) seem to be super vulnerable to it and will go down after a few hits.

Status effects on enemies work just like poison/etc do on you: each hit will fill up an invisible bar, and once it reaches 100% you get your poison/bleed/sleep/etc. The size of the bar depends on the enemy's status resistance.

You'll see a purple cloudy effect around their head and they'll start laying down. If you let them lay all the way down most enemies will open up for a free critical hit, but hitting them before then will wake them up again. So it's possible if you're just r1 spamming that you're getting the sleep proc and then immediately canceling it with the next hit.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
12 hours in, I still haven't beaten the secondish boss, Godrick the Grafted, but to be fair I haven't even tried him in like five hours. Instead I took a tour of the Weeping Peninsula (even though I don't have a map for it yet), and a sojourn into East Limgrave to kill a Canoe miniboss and kill a scripted invader. I now have a faith weapon, but it takes 16Str 16DEX 24FTH so it's gonna take a while to learn how to use it. In the meantime, I've gotten really good mileage out of the basic fireball prayer, it deletes trees and flowers.

Elden Ring: go inside and touch grace you goon

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!

Timespy posted:

How do I get the Jellyfish summon if Roderika has already moved to Roundtable hold?

Have the conversations with Roderika and the blacksmith, leave and come back. Roderika should now be a spirit tuner and gives you the jellyfish.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Do spells do any stagger damage or is sorcery in general just not meant to engage with that mechanic? Feels like magic’s advantages (range) don’t make up for that since there’s some really strong damage output to be had from playing up the stagger game with R2 or jumping slashes which in turn also stun/stop the enemy/boss in its track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I had to beat Margit fat-rolling. Put all my level-ups on strength so I could one-hand a heavy greataxe on my hero and oops need a couple points of endurance. Shouldn't have sold my other weapons. The runes he gave me got me rolling again.

I think it took me a few dozen tries. Gonna take a break before finishing Stormveil.