Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Y'all who prefer taking bosses on solo,

Drop your summons sign!

It's great, you get a chance to learn a boss' moveset with a little extra breathing room, plus you rake in the runes. I've gotten north of 30k runes just helping folks in Stormveil while I explore the castle. Extra bonus: I got to see some poor dude use a stone key to open a room that had gently caress all inside it. Guess I won't be using my key there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Oh, this is a really good way of putting it. I think that's why I'm clicking with it so much - I really loved the fact that the original Dark Souls felt like one big interconnected map, and the subsequent games never really matched that (although I didn't get too far in DS3 so maybe I'm wrong there - anyone?). You always feel like you're navigating through the same place in a very cohesive way.

Exactly, it gives me that feeling of being able to look all the way up to the anor londo wall, and all the way down to blight town and know you can go to both those places, except on a much larger scale.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
cooping bosses is so drat satisfying. people also seem to be getting better at margit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I boosted my dex and faith. Is there some weapon or infusion that will let me scale with both?

If you can get an ash of war that gives you the Sacred infusion, that’ll give a weapon holy damage that scales with Faith while the physical damage keeps scaling with the stats it did before, just less so.

That said I don’t think there are many Dex/Faith split weapons. There usually aren’t unfortunate. FromSoft likes to pair Faith with Strength on fancy weapons.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mem posted:

I had to beat Margit fat-rolling. Put all my level-ups on strength so I could one-hand a heavy greataxe on my hero and oops need a couple points of endurance. Shouldn't have sold my other weapons. The runes he gave me got me rolling again.

I think it took me a few dozen tries. Gonna take a break before finishing Stormveil.

i'd recommend against selling your weapons/armor at all
they get a pretty small sum and a lot are unique one-time deals that you can't get extra copies of

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm gonna main brick hammer. This stupid thing is ridiculous

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do spells do any stagger damage or is sorcery in general just not meant to engage with that mechanic? Feels like magic’s advantages (range) don’t make up for that since there’s some really strong damage output to be had from playing up the stagger game with R2 or jumping slashes which in turn also stun/stop the enemy/boss in its track.

As I understand it the gravity set of sorceries have that effect. You can even down a giant with the Rock sling. I don't know any other spells that have the same effect, though, there are some for sure.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

otoh, selling extra copies of equipment drops is a tidy little way to pay for your consumables every so often. I sold off all of my spare weapons/armors plus some crafting mats I had in plenty and had about 5K souls. You can also sell your gold runes to get the money out of them faster; I think they all sell for the same amount their worth without the slow crushing animation.

In other news.

Godrick is dead. His was a more satisfying fight than Large Marge for me, although I felt like my dodges in phase 2 had maybe a 60% chance of working out in my favor with how hard to read the fire can be.

Rest in piss.

Also I found a red hood down where the dogs are in Stormsomething Castle, below the hanging dead giant. P sure it wasn't there when I went through before; is it because of quest progress? The girl is a vendor now, not sure how it got all the way back here.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm gonna main brick hammer. This stupid thing is ridiculous

Twinsies!

Actually no wait, I think I'm using the heavy hammer. Almost twinsies!

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I've played a bit of DS1 in the past month, but no other Soulsborne experience. I'm having a ton of fun.

Rolled an astrologer, went south after I got hosed up at the camp outside the Stormveil front gate a couple times, wasn't going to get the Meteorite staff, but got transported to the swamp by a chest and couldn't fast travel (didn't realize I needed to rest at a grace for the Roundtable), accidentally aggro'ed the first sorcery vendor (thought killing her might free her in some ruins), got a whip, did some side dungeons, returned to tear apart the camp with the wolf summons, beat Magrit in 3 tries with jelly tanking.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Since a few people mentioned hammers on this page, has anyone found something one-handed like DS2's Blacksmith Hammer? So far the warpick is the closest thing I've spotted in the early game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, is the Turtle Talisman the best one in the game? Cause that stamina buff seems to be even better than the Grass Crest Shield from DS1. :stare:

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Pindakaas posted:

Have the conversations with Roderika and the blacksmith, leave and come back. Roderika should now be a spirit tuner and gives you the jellyfish.

Thanks, this worked!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If anyone has faced an enemy called a crystalian can you tell me how the gently caress I do any damage

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

AlternateNu posted:

So, is the Turtle Talisman the best one in the game? Cause that stamina buff seems to be even better than the Grass Crest Shield from DS1. :stare:

I dunno, give me a hint about where it is and I’ll test it out

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

AlternateNu posted:

I'm currently using a talisman that gives +5 to all stats except Mind, although it does have the downside of making me take more damage from enemies. Not sure how much more, but it's manageable. The boost from all those stats seems insane... the max hp from 5 vigor alone is like 200.

JBP posted:

If anyone has faced an enemy called a crystalian can you tell me how the gently caress I do any damage

They didn't drop anything for me, but I killed them with a whip I looted when I murdered a round table knight. The whip did piddling, but not nonexistent damage (unlike my greatsword and the mace I tried).

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I wish you all the wisdom of the two fingers in the elden ring.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Darke GBF posted:

I'm currently using a talisman that gives +5 to all stats except Mind, although it does have the downside of making me take more damage from enemies. Not sure how much more, but it's manageable. The boost from all those stats seems insane... the max hp from 5 vigor alone is like 200.

I've been hesitant to give this one a go. Right now I have improved guard counter damage and +attack for multiple strikes which works well with a rapier.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Turtle buff is insanely good, yes.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Since a few people mentioned hammers on this page, has anyone found something one-handed like DS2's Blacksmith Hammer? So far the warpick is the closest thing I've spotted in the early game.

The mace you can buy at roundtable isn't bad at all, and somewhere out in the world is a Morningstar, which is basically the same weapon except it weighs slightly more and also inflicts bleed. No sword moveset like DS2 hammer, but it's not unreasonably slow.

Since we're talking weapons, has anyone given the Pike a go? I'm considering investing in it since it seems faster than my halberd, and is a little lighter. Any other spear-type weapon users, holler.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i only fought a boss one but that crystalian took a few big hits to break its invisible shield/barrier thing and then it took tons of damage after that

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Spent an hour dying over and over to the rolling spike tracks behind the fog in the starting dungeon only to be rewarded with a bullshit dragoncentipede boss I gave up on

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Found a woman chained up at a place called Witchbane Ruins but couldn't see anything else to do there and talking to her just repeated the same lines, anyone know what you're supposed to do?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cavauro posted:

i only fought a boss one but that crystalian took a few big hits to break its invisible shield/barrier thing and then it took tons of damage after that

Great thanks. I was unsure if I was doing something wrong. I'll use some jumping attacks and see how it goes.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Does neg reviewing a message remove it from your game? I'm really tired of these assholes putting messages on top of interactables.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Does drop rate increase when you're co-oping? I swear whenever I'm playing with someone I get absolutely showered with items.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Found a woman chained up at a place called Witchbane Ruins but couldn't see anything else to do there and talking to her just repeated the same lines, anyone know what you're supposed to do?

I actually looked it up. No one knows yet, but absolutely do not attack her. It locks out a spell vendor if you do.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Great thanks. I was unsure if I was doing something wrong. I'll use some jumping attacks and see how it goes.

Use a "strike" type weapon like a mace. Slash and pierce weapons don't do anything to them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Use a "strike" type weapon like a mace. Slash and pierce weapons don't do anything to them.

Time to bust out the whip! It's always the solution tbh.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I’m 20 hours in and man this game rule. As a
Long time fan of the series I do have to say I miss the covenants. Invading to get sweet loot was always fun. Also I feel the fashion souls is lacking a bit but maybe I should go back to stormveil and poke around more.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

For a good time, set your time to night and THEN teleport to the Warmaster's Shack in Limgrave

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Since this has been asked more than once:
INT weapons:
I've found an INT scaling sword and an INT scaling dagger that can be upgraded.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I have had absolutely no issues rolling and I'm flummoxed by the posts about having issues with it. It feels like it works better than ever.

Vookatos posted:

Also, gotta say, not really enjoying the music. I feel like Zelda had a better minimalistic OST with its melancholic piano. I can't really judge boss themes because I'm too tense to notice them, but overworld just sounds like a violinist got lost in the woods

The music in Caelid is perfect and makes it feels like I'm in a horror game.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Sakurazuka posted:

it's relevant to a later side quest, just don't attack her

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have read multiple articles and still can't figure out how to summon Spirit Ashes. I have the bell, too. I equipped an ash and it showed up on my list of things you can consume like flasks, but when I hit the button, nothing happens, and there is a diagonal line through it. I am in a summoning area. Am I supposed to equip the bell somehow? I can't figure out how to do that

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

JBP posted:

I've been hesitant to give this one a go. Right now I have improved guard counter damage and +attack for multiple strikes which works well with a rapier.

I typically use the stats+ one and the one that buffs damage on consecutive swings (drops from Cleanrot Knight). I have a bunch of good talismans but the second slot is really competitive. Would love to use the jumping attack buff one, or the one that buffs charged attacks, but I spam r1 more than doing either of those, mainly because my weapon has bleed.

blue squares posted:

I have read multiple articles and still can't figure out how to summon Spirit Ashes. I have the bell, too. I equipped an ash and it showed up on my list of things you can consume like flasks, but when I hit the button, nothing happens, and there is a diagonal line through it. I am in a summoning area. Am I supposed to equip the bell somehow? I can't figure out how to do that

Think it only works in boss rooms. Maybe some other places, but mainly for bosses.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ok where the heck is the weeping peninsula map i mustve looked everywhere.

And did no bonfire appear after fighting the minor eldtree world boss?

The horse makes bosses a joke when you can use it. Just too much maneuverability and speed for them to deal with.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mailer posted:

Also saw something so weird I had to go back and reproduce it and I'm still convinced it's a mistake. Corian Slicer, the 4 FP beginning tier melee spell, hit for 273 which gave it 68.25 efficiency. Granted, that's the equivalent of standing in melee mashing R1 with a light weapon (you die) but it was such a weird outlier that I ran out slicing the camp up with it. The Greatsword variant doesn't have that kind of efficiency so that might just be a mistake From made.

Old post but slicer is crazy good and something sorcerors should definitely pick up right away. I basically beat that roundtable invader guy (and a few other bosses) by just running up to him and spamming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Walrus posted:

Ok where the heck is the weeping peninsula map i mustve looked everywhere.

It's straight south. The grace point arrow points right at it if I remember right.