Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 25, 1949)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

To think someone could come up with Boltar when they didn't even have Brian Blessed around, except technically speaking :allears:

re: Ick, I do sometimes feel that the diligent spoiler tagging and hushed tones around the reasons might lead anyone who takes the spoilers at face value to believe that they're masking far, far worse racism than is actually there.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

:rip:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

My Lovely Horse posted:

re: Ick, I do sometimes feel that the diligent spoiler tagging and hushed tones around the reasons might lead anyone who takes the spoilers at face value to believe that they're masking far, far worse racism than is actually there.

Maybe... but it is undeniable that despite the actual representation of Ick as a human individual story-wise, the visual representation is way too loaded. I think the spoiler thing is the best.

Also, I love Boltar

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Boltar will adopt him as a banished buddy. I cannot believe he hasn't been, if not declared outlaw.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 25, 1949)

So is Boltar the kind of guy who would temporarily redraw a few borders with a minor invasion so Goeffrey won't get in trouble or the kind of guy who would encourage him not to care? Because I can kinda see both.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I hope it's Tara Starr's evil cousin or whatever.

But it will probably just be Bernice.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

A Message to ARF.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: The opportunity (1936)

:lol: That's adorable.

F Minus

Finally!

Mark Trail

Ugh.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Well, so much for my 'it wasn't the right guy' theory.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

No, you do not want to do that.

Apartment 3-G

Did not update.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Has anyone else had issues with their CK comics not updating? Vintage Mandrake/Johnny Hazard are still showing Friday's for me, and I know they haven't been posting Sundays but they've always had Saturday updates in the past.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dustin and slightly-less-vintage Mandrake updated as usual.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Watch, it's going to be Ann Eiffel

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it's me and i'm going to kill the awful cartoon dog

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Has anyone else had issues with their CK comics not updating? Vintage Mandrake/Johnny Hazard are still showing Friday's for me, and I know they haven't been posting Sundays but they've always had Saturday updates in the past.

RWO was a bit slow to come up but updated fine.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

I'm on the road and usually translate them on the day I post so Night Visitors updates may be spotty for a few days.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

So It Seems May 1, 1952

Nearly every face in this comic is primo avatar material but your money for the tiny steak guy is especially good.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

Again, I think I hammered this into shape OK, but the pun works better in Japanese - goldfish-catching games at fairs and festivals are literally called "goldfish rescue" or "goldfish saving," and the goldfish is talking about how we are already saved.

Even without knowing the original pun it still got a hearty laugh out of me so the "caught" use still worked

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Julet Esqu posted:

Or evil Anne whatever-her-name-is

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Long Lever

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And They Died! March 12, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 10, 1919

Cat Tales February 18, 1925

Oaky Doaks August 22, 1936

Mopsy October 30, 1937

Up Front January 10, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems May 7, 1952

Those Were the Days February 5, 1959

Wee Pals May 14, 1966

Dogbert January 3, 1967

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Slammy posted:

Up Front January 10, 1945

you know, that IS good mud

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Y'know, Western Ol' Painless wasn't nearly as effective as his descendent, or Blueberry gets saved in the nick of time... AGAIN, or Trevor meets with some old friends...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Vargo posted:

I'm not saying to stop, I can't make that call, but I do want to point out that this isn't true. Crabgrass was posted openly and publicly on GoComics, Tauhid posted extra strips like Crabgrass: The Teen Years on Patreon, and we all kind of agreed not to post that.

Personally my feelings are that if it's behind an artist-enforced paywall like Patreon then we should leave it alone. Syndicate paywalls are a greyer matter. I don't know what the thread rule/consensus is, I just didn't want us to cite Crabgrass as precedent when it's not.

I'd say ask the artist for permission in cases like this, maybe offering to time-delay it relative to the Patreon release or seeing if we can all chip in enough money to the account to earn that permission. It runs the risk of the artist telling us to gently caress off entirely but hey, that's Gary Larson's people did, and we're still here.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The_Other posted:

also, turns out Saoshyant started a John Allison thread in these forums about two weeks ago and I just noticed yesterday (that's what I get for only looking at my subscribed threads). Don't know if I'll keep posting in this thread as it seems kind of silly to have the comic in two places on this forum.

Minority opinion: I think that you shouldn't, but I also think you should at least wait to how long that thread survives. Someone tried to spinoff a Retail thread way back when and there just ended up not being any point to it because it was the same people as the Comic Strip Megathread but fewer of them.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Hel posted:

So is Boltar the kind of guy who would temporarily redraw a few borders with a minor invasion so Goeffrey won't get in trouble or the kind of guy who would encourage him not to care? Because I can kinda see both.

Either for sure, whatever's the most convenient (and fun for him). I think you will like his solution to Geoff's problem.

Prince Valiant

"Prince of Camelot?" Val's Prince of Thule, calling him Prince of Camelot is probably technically treason or something.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (May 22, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 8-9, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

This script was surplus to requirements but I had time so I drew it anyway. A Friday bonus. A new tale begins on Monday, it’ll be December and that means all the “forced festivity” you can eat. Maybe I’ll draw some snow on the site’s logo like I used to in 1999!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

2/26

2/27

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/26/02

Brenda Starr 4/1-3/48

Smokey Stover 6/12/46

Everyday Movies 11/19/34

"Drive me to 72nd Street and tune in on 'The Buckaloos.'"

That's a spiffy car. Cabs with radios in them were still a new thing at this point.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: may the odds be ever in your favour (January 16-22, 2006)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "60 - Jucika and the Easter Gift"

"61 - Jucika buys a Movie Ticket"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh no, I'm being doxxed by the Tinkersons now.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

b]Bizarro[/b]

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

What kind of kid even orders steak and soup at the restaurant?