Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

blue squares posted:

I have read multiple articles and still can't figure out how to summon Spirit Ashes. I have the bell, too. I equipped an ash and it showed up on my list of things you can consume like flasks, but when I hit the button, nothing happens, and there is a diagonal line through it. I am in a summoning area. Am I supposed to equip the bell somehow? I can't figure out how to do that

Two things.

1. You can’t have a remedy (searching for player summons) active.
2. You can only summon them in specific areas. A white grave looking icon will pop on the left side of the screen when you can summon them. Most/all boss rooms have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Two things.

1. You can’t have a remedy (searching for player summons) active.
2. You can only summon them in specific areas. A white grave looking icon will pop on the left side of the screen when you can summon them. Most/all boss rooms have it.

Yeah like I mentioned I was in a summoning area. And I wasn't searching for players either unless I did that by accident at some point, but I have never seen any player summons so I doubt it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

blue squares posted:

Yeah like I mentioned I was in a summoning area. And I wasn't searching for players either unless I did that by accident at some point, but I have never seen any player summons so I doubt it

Dumb question but does your character have enough FP to summon whatever you’re trying to summon

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Molnija posted:

For a good time, set your time to night and THEN teleport to the Warmaster's Shack in Limgrave

I encountered this guy when I teleported at night to a merchant's shack. He is easily the strongest thing I've seen in the entire game. Every attack is nearly a one shot, he has insane range with all of them, and his moveset is extremely varied and full of quick hits; he used a different set of moves every one of the four times I attempted him. Total brick wall for me, and I'm in the high 50s. Might be workable mounted. Cant summon ashes in his area, unfortunately though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Walrus posted:

Ok where the heck is the weeping peninsula map i mustve looked everywhere.

And did no bonfire appear after fighting the minor eldtree world boss?

The horse makes bosses a joke when you can use it. Just too much maneuverability and speed for them to deal with.

You can see where the map fragments are on the world map by looking for an outline of the little monuments in the blank areas.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I’m also confused on the rolling complaints it wirks more or less how it always did

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Has anybody checked if the knight at the bottom of the lift in Stormveil can be parried? Having a tough time getting the timing but maybe he's just immune.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think what makes the magic situation in this so disappointing to me is that it's clear that, this time, they really tried to make it interesting. I'm used to magic, both sorcery and miracles, being kinda boring in Souls games. Even when it's effective, it's often really straightforward. (Though I will say that the ability to make magic your whole thing in Demon's Souls does make a pure mage playthrough of that game pretty fun.)

But that isn't the case this time. This time, there's variety. There's flash. Both Int and Faith get some incredibly cool spells, especially Faith with its huge variety of different styles and aesthetics. This team put a shitload of work into making sure magic would be cool this time.

And then they gave all but the most basic spells incredibly long cast times and then made the decision that casting never has any poise, so you never actually get to use these insanely cool spells in a real fight. Maybe you can drop a big AoE on a mob pack before they see you but after that there's no way you're casting, for example, Ice Lightning Spear without getting knocked out of the super long animation because a random arrow grazed you. That's before we even get into the gigantic FP cost for anything beyond the most basic projectiles.

I wouldn't be opposed to magic being explicitly something you use a few times and then fall back on melee (that does seem to be the intention with the wide variety of Int/Faith scaling ashes of war available), but the problem is that beyond the most basic projectiles, there's not really a reason to bother with that magic part. And that's especially true when you look at some of the unique weapon arts available for special weapons later on, which often do more damage than comparable spells, in similar AoEs, for less FP and with some poise on the skill animation.

Honestly just adding some poise on spell casting and bumping the damage of the big boy spells would be enough to make it a nice side thing to go with your melee, but I can't really think of a time in this series where magic was buffed in a patch so I'm not holding my breath. (I guess the Artorias of the Abyss DLC buffed sorcery in DS1 by adding spells like Dark Bead and Pursuers but it didn't buff existing spells so I'm still technically right :colbert:)

Assuming they're going to make more Souls-in-all-but-name games, I really want them to go back to the drawing board on what magic even is. My ideal for magic in this series at this point is something that can work well as a complement to melee fighting, spells that you can weave into weapon combos, things like that. The big flashy spells just might not be the right thing for this style of game and maybe that's okay.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
stormveil castle question: in the room with the grafted scion, there's a wooden platform overhead with an item. how do i get there?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dumb question but does your character have enough FP to summon whatever you’re trying to summon

Oh, maybe not! I haven't bothered leveling up my FP much

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Good to see they've kept the usual FromSoft history of undodgable grabs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thundercracker posted:

I actually looked it up. No one knows yet, but absolutely do not attack her. It locks out a spell vendor if you do.

lih posted:

it's relevant to a later side quest, just don't attack her

Haha whoops

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this is probably not as big of a secret as i thought it seemed like when i found it but if you end up going to see Gurranq the beast clergyman, outside the building and off the edge of the cliff to the side of it, there are some branches or roots that you can only see if you look down over the edge. you can jump down if you're careful enough, then you can keep jumping down the sides of the building all the way down and there are two pieces of equipment down there along with some crafting material junkstones along the way. https://imgur.com/a/bDFJZR2 - if you find this dagger, keep running around the side of the building to find a talisman as well sorry if this is already well known here and has been posted

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Has anybody checked if the knight at the bottom of the lift in Stormveil can be parried? Having a tough time getting the timing but maybe he's just immune.

lol ok he can be parried but 2nd phase he starts flying :darksouls:

This is some next level poo poo compared to the black knights in DS1

Oxxidation posted:

stormveil castle question: in the room with the grafted scion, there's a wooden platform overhead with an item. how do i get there?

There's a pile of sand bags on the stone hallway leading to the scion. Hop over them and look for a ladder

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyway now that I've gotten that "rant about magic" post out of the way, I've leveled my Str and Dex enough to use the Bloodhound's Fang curved greatsword and it absolutely rips, but now I think I'm at a point where I should probably pick one of the two stats to be my main focus and I can't decide. The Bloodhound's Fang scales more with Dex so if I want to stick with this then Dex is the answer, but maybe Str weapons are cooler later on?

I'm kinda wishing I'd started as a Vagabond or Samurai or something instead of Confessor because I don't know if I'm ever going to use this Faith, but maybe there are cool weapons with Faith requirements that I'll be glad I have it for. The halberd that the Tree Sentinel dropped seems pretty sick.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I’m also confused on the rolling complaints it wirks more or less how it always did

There is no meaningful input delay, it’s the same thing From releases always get, somebody over rolling or animation locking themselves two feet from the boss and getting pasted.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It appears there are no ring slots in this game. Do the talisman you pick up act like rings? I notice I cannot equip them or use them, do they provide their buffs passively in my inventory or is there something I need to do or get in order to enable them?

I asked because I'm currently trying to fight Margot and he's proving to be trickier than I would think and I wanted to make sure I'm not cheating myself out of any advantage

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

time to start cooling it on the long sessions with the game now cos i'm getting bored/frustrated. i am getting to where i kind of know what you need to do to win a fight, but i petulantly just sit there not doing it, refusing to engage. i just want the game to roll over and acknowledge my bloodfreeze mace please.

what we've got here folks, is a dark souls game.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So for the Godrick fight is summoning the warrior lady as a coop partner part of her quest line I need to do? Or can I just go in to try and solo him guilt free?

I took her into the fight and won I can't recall if she was still actually alive at the end, but later on I found her in Roundtable Hold and she gave me an item. This lead to conversations with another character. So far this hasn't lead anywhere else, so it's not clear yet if she will appear again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

It appears there are no ring slots in this game. Do the talisman you pick up act like rings? I notice I cannot equip them or use them, do they provide their buffs passively in my inventory or is there something I need to do or get in order to enable them?

I asked because I'm currently trying to fight Margot and he's proving to be trickier than I would think and I wanted to make sure I'm not cheating myself out of any advantage

Talismans are rings. You should have one talisman slot from the start, just under your helmet slot on the equipment screen. You'll unlock more slots as you go.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Harrow posted:

I'm kinda wishing I'd started as a Vagabond or Samurai or something instead of Confessor because I don't know if I'm ever going to use this Faith, but maybe there are cool weapons with Faith requirements that I'll be glad I have it for. The halberd that the Tree Sentinel dropped seems pretty sick.

Faith gets some really good utility spells for low investment. One early on is the Assassin's Approach incantation available from a book behind the imp door in the Roundtable basement. Gives you fall damage reduction which lets you take a lot of shortcuts and silences your footsteps which doesn't last long but has a very significant effect when trying not to aggro dudes. Also doing the first part of D's questline will let you buy the holy weapon enchantment incantation which adds like 80+ damage to my sword at this point, it's a sweet damage boost

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Mariner is loving hilarious. Frustrating, but hilarious. Just some weird undead dude, tootling about on his little ghost boat :3:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Somehow I missed that your horse can double jump on my first game and now that I've restarted I got that helpful tip and now nothing can stop my exploration! I'm clearly meant to be utilizing this, I can't imagine how you'd get all over the place in magictown without it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

goferchan posted:

Faith gets some really good utility spells for low investment. One early on is the Assassin's Approach incantation available from a book behind the imp door in the Roundtable basement. Gives you fall damage reduction which lets you take a lot of shortcuts and silences your footsteps which doesn't last long but has a very significant effect when trying not to aggro dudes. Also doing the first part of D's questline will let you buy the holy weapon enchantment incantation which adds like 80+ damage to my sword at this point, it's a sweet damage boost

Oh, Confessor actually starts with Assassin's Approach. It's pretty cool yeah.

I'll keep an eye out for more utility spells as I go. I've got a minimum of 14 Faith no matter how much I respec so I might as well do something with it. And I bet there'll be some cool Str/Faith weapons later.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do all weapon buff spells and incantations last like 10% of the time that item weapon buffs do, or is that just black flame blade and/or my low stats/lovely finger seal?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don’t know if it’s stat affected but the magic weapon spell lasts about 45 seconds to a minute for me? Long enough you can get some damage in, short enough it didn’t last through me whittling down the guy in the roundtable hold

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lol ok he can be parried but 2nd phase he starts flying :darksouls:

This is some next level poo poo compared to the black knights in DS1

Thats why you lure him into the hole the elevator leaves behind instead

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cavauro posted:

do all weapon buff spells and incantations last like 10% of the time that item weapon buffs do, or is that just black flame blade and/or my low stats/lovely finger seal?

Black Flame Blade is terrible. I watched a streamer with 60 Faith and a maxed-out talisman use it and it lasted eight whole seconds.

It'd be one thing if you could apply it with no animation mid-combo or something, or even as quickly as you can apply Fire or Bolt Paper in Bloodborne, but it has the long buff animation like everything else.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

There's a pile of sand bags on the stone hallway leading to the scion. Hop over them and look for a ladder

there's three different routes to this chamber and i'm not seeing ladders in any of them. do you mean the room with the fireplace?

e: aha, found it. Cheers

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 27, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

codo27 posted:

I disregard all talk of mkb in FROM games despite being a devout user for anything with guns. Yet I play all these games with this ridiculous claw grip in which I use my thumb to pan the camera while curling my index finger and using that to hold sprint.
this is why I always rebind dodge/sprint to left bumper

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Harrow posted:

Black Flame Blade is terrible. I watched a streamer with 60 Faith and a maxed-out talisman use it and it lasted eight whole seconds.

It'd be one thing if you could apply it with no animation mid-combo or something, or even as quickly as you can apply Fire or Bolt Paper in Bloodborne, but it has the long buff animation like everything else.

piss

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Just a hint for weapons dilettantes like me. After clearing Stormveil there's a blacksmith in the next map that sells infinite smithing stones 1 and 2. He's in the open world, hard to miss, and can be beelined to following the road.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Crucible knight is making me poo poo a brick right now.
It was hard enough getting a good hit in his first phase, but in his second, all his attacks become unsafe as he'll randomly decide to follow up with a tail swipe. Probably doesn't help that I'm swinging a katana at a heavily armored foe. Probably a bit too low level too.
Welp here's hoping complaining on the internet prevails again.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
PSA: You can charge spells by holding the button

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Thundercracker posted:

Just a hint for weapons dilettantes like me. After clearing Stormveil there's a blacksmith in the next map that sells infinite smithing stones 1 and 2. He's in the open world, hard to miss, and can be beelined to following the road.
there's also an item you can get in a cave and give to the twin finger ladies in the keep that lets them sell those

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Sakurazuka posted:

Haha whoops

there's a way to absolve your sins as always

church of vows, east liurnia

Orv
May 4, 2011

Karanas posted:

Crucible knight is making me poo poo a brick right now.
It was hard enough getting a good hit in his first phase, but in his second, all his attacks become unsafe as he'll randomly decide to follow up with a tail swipe. Probably doesn't help that I'm swinging a katana at a heavily armored foe. Probably a bit too low level too.
Welp here's hoping complaining on the internet prevails again.

Crucible Knight is definitely a come back later boss in most cases.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is godrick's great rune bugged? I don't think my stats changed at all

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god the R2 on the lordsworn greatsword is SO sick on a horse - you hold it and drag the tip along the ground as you ride and then when you release it comes out with R2 strength and R1 speed. seems really op like the rest of the horse stuff but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cavauro posted:

No the normal holy blade enchantment lasts for at least a couple minutes lol. That's what you get for heresy!