Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was running around doing errands all day and because I was hungry I stopped by McDonald's. They advertised their Menu Hacks and saw they had the Sea, Land & Air burger (triple combo of Filet-o-Fish, Big Mac, and McChicken). Since I'm a :btroll: & easily swayed by advertising I ordered it.

$12 and I gotta build this monstrosity myself? :chloe:

I’m sorry but why did you post this before you made the monstrosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was so hungry, lazy & mad I just ate everything separately.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

swickles posted:

The problem is that then there is no elevation of threat above cyber attack that isn't nuclear in nature.

Yeah Russia is so feckless but they can still end the planet. Like the obnoxious kid in a small town whose dad is the sheriff. It goes from zero to life ruining very quickly.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Trapped by a cat, best kind of trapped.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Qwijib0 posted:

Hopefully not the reason but... who the gently caress knows

I did look it up later and the actual answer is probably (hopefully) that Chernobyl is just in the way and has roads. So if you want to get to Kyiv fast from Belarus you roll over it.

e: Then again, so yeah who knows:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497755402926268421

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 27, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Spoeank posted:

Yeah Russia is so feckless but they can still end the planet. Like the obnoxious kid in a small town whose dad is the sheriff. It goes from zero to life ruining very quickly.

God this is an incredible simile loooooooool

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

C-Euro posted:

Reminder that The Social Network predates just about everything that today's public takes issue with re: Facebook and Zuck.

Yeah, but Zuck still looks like a giant rear end in a top hat in it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Also Musk is just being a whiny dipshit who, despite infinite advantages, a cult following and a god-complex, withers and mewls at the slightest criticism.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chernobyl is in Ukraine, but the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone laps over the border into Belarus and the two countries have cooperated in keeping it safe for the last couple decades or so. The exclusion zone is enormous, there are a few people who live within it - caretakers, some police, folks who work at the now-decomissioned nuclear plant (after Reactor 4 exploded, remarkably, other reactors at the site were still used for a long time, well into the 90s I believe). Tours go there, there's places nobody's allowed to go but you can tour Pripyat, a few other places. A lot of the radioactive soil has been gradually buried by new leaf fall etc. although plant and animal activity (and vehicles) can stir it up and create higher hazards. There's also a river, the Pripyat R, that feeds into the Dneiper, and the exclusion zone actually laps over part of the Dneipr: that's a major waterway running right through Ukraine, including right through Kiev, and then running south to the Black Sea.

I imagine Russia had several reasons to seize both the plant and the Exclusion Zone. One is just as part of the process of securing their border; if they didn't take it, it'd be a place where perhaps Ukranian fighters could hide, and then subsequently attack supply lines or something. Another is to ensure that radioactive material isn't available to civilians to create toxic weapons (a "dirty bomb" or whatever). Maybe a third is an attempt to reassure Europe that the site remains in safe hands? And maybe that waterway is or will be critical for logistics, part of the assault on Kiev, etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

Also Musk is just being a whiny dipshit who, despite infinite advantages, a cult following and a god-complex, withers and mewls at the slightest criticism.

I think he's desperately afraid someone not in his pocket will make a movie about him. I think if Musk somehow managed to get convicted to a lengthy sentence for one of the many crimes he' committed and continues to commit you'd probably get a very unflattering movie about, but unless he like, murders Grimes or something I doubt he's ever going to get arrested.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Chernobyl is in Ukraine, but the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone laps over the border into Belarus and the two countries have cooperated in keeping it safe for the last couple decades or so. The exclusion zone is enormous, there are a few people who live within it - caretakers, some police, folks who work at the now-decomissioned nuclear plant (after Reactor 4 exploded, remarkably, other reactors at the site were still used for a long time, well into the 90s I believe). Tours go there, there's places nobody's allowed to go but you can tour Pripyat, a few other places. A lot of the radioactive soil has been gradually buried by new leaf fall etc. although plant and animal activity (and vehicles) can stir it up and create higher hazards. There's also a river, the Pripyat R, that feeds into the Dneiper, and the exclusion zone actually laps over part of the Dneipr: that's a major waterway running right through Ukraine, including right through Kiev, and then running south to the Black Sea.

I imagine Russia had several reasons to seize both the plant and the Exclusion Zone. One is just as part of the process of securing their border; if they didn't take it, it'd be a place where perhaps Ukranian fighters could hide, and then subsequently attack supply lines or something. Another is to ensure that radioactive material isn't available to civilians to create toxic weapons (a "dirty bomb" or whatever). Maybe a third is an attempt to reassure Europe that the site remains in safe hands? And maybe that waterway is or will be critical for logistics, part of the assault on Kiev, etc.

no they want to secure the Wish Granter

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Also the road that goes from Chernobyl to a highway that is like a strait shot to Kyiv. It's just the fastest route

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

this was always going to happen

https://twitter.com/douglaschu_/status/1497642246203748353?s=20&t=HAM_6Ow41pPQa475I42Dlw

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

How do they have time to gently caress?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Certainly not busy trying to win a war

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
As the Cold War thread referred to it, the Elite Ukrainian Catfishing Team.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soldiers gently caress in the middle of wars all the time. At least these ones are using dating apps instead of raping random civilians.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The invasion still loving sucks for Ukrainians, but holy poo poo lol

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497763009019760640?t=fOwmY-ot1rvFZXoyhm66Cg&s=19

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Soldiers gently caress in the middle of wars all the time. At least these ones are using dating apps instead of raping random civilians.

Instead?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

The invasion still loving sucks for Ukrainians, but holy poo poo lol

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497763009019760640?t=fOwmY-ot1rvFZXoyhm66Cg&s=19

I feel compelled to always point out that I am not an expert on military tactics or geopolitics, but there’s been concern that Putin’s ego won’t allow for actual embarrassment here and it’s likely to get much nastier with civilian targeting and poo poo in the days and weeks to come.

Russia has made steady gains in the east if the reporting is to be believed and while they haven’t steamrolled Kiev, their personnel and budgetary advantages will almost certainly put them over the top—especially with an emotional rag like Putin directing them.

My wife works closely with a bunch of remote Ukrainian contractors and we are both really worried about them.

poo poo’s hosed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

swickles posted:

One thing that I am surprised we haven't seen is crazy conspiracy theories about what's at Chernobyl that made the Russians take it. Like where are the theories about radioactive zombies, or supersoldiers, or dimensional gateways etc. Why can't QAnon divert their attention to something entertaining?

There’s a tribe of children there who had a rare reaction to the radiation- they stopped aging in 1986. Each of them could be an eternal source of adrenochrome.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

There’s a tribe of children there who had a rare reaction to the radiation- they stopped aging in 1986. Each of them could be an eternal source of adrenochrome.

Peter Thiel gonna fire up his jetpack if you don’t take it easy lol

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I was running around doing errands all day and because I was hungry I stopped by McDonald's. They advertised their Menu Hacks and saw they had the Sea, Land & Air burger (triple combo of Filet-o-Fish, Big Mac, and McChicken). Since I'm a :btroll: & easily swayed by advertising I ordered it.

I used to get a McDouble and a McChicken and toss the heels and make a bird and turf. Then I would tear up the heels and toss them to the birds.

When the McDouble and McChicken went from $1 to $1.30 I felt betrayed. :btroll:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone remember the Burger King thread here, where that one goon bought Noah's Ark (two of each animal), and posted the video of him eating it?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Anyone remember the Burger King thread here, where that one goon bought Noah's Ark (two of each animal), and posted the video of him eating it?
Yes, I remember.

I also remember that everyone was trying to one-up each other with bigger or wilder sandwiches, and then someone posted a simple mustard smear. Timing is everything. I'm smiling remembering it right now.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MrLogan posted:

All militaries aren't the US military and just roll over people, OP.

im real high right now but as a veteran with any memory of the last few conflicts, the sheer hubris of this gave me a good laugh

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The US military is the only one that understands basic logistics. Got it.
The US military is the only one that has the money and transport capability and complicated bureaucracy to handle basic logistics, and that's a testament to the logistics side of the US military.

International logistics is very hard, or so I have heard. For me, full understanding of domestic logistics is above my pay grade. International logistics in and out of a hot zone is even harder. The US Military is the only org with the combination of vehicles to move stuff, trained people to pilot those vehicles, and *here's the kicker* readily available fuel to power those vehicles and trained mechanics to keep those vehicles moving.

I say that when I hate the enormous amount of money that is spent on the US military on either the enormous grift (hello Halliburton and your cost plus contracts that incentivize transporting lovely products that have to be replaced at cost plus again) or the bone headed poo poo that just happens through the giant bureaucracy like the $200 screwdriver. I'm in awe of the actual logistics side of everything.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I finally got to experience the age-old trope of spending a lot of time and effort in making a bomb rear end chef’s kiss chili for a (small gathering of friends) chili cook off only to lose out to two people who just threw a bunch of chuck roast, beans, and McCormick seasonings in a slow cooker and called it a day

:(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Speaking of Russian money being too tied up in London for them to actually sanction Russian Oligarchs.

https://twitter.com/brhodes/status/1497538934951366658?s=20&t=rlJPA_Gbo1cO6Q4tbOghvQ

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

T-Square posted:

I finally got to experience the age-old trope of spending a lot of time and effort in making a bomb rear end chef’s kiss chili for a (small gathering of friends) chili cook off only to lose out to two people who just threw a bunch of chuck roast, beans, and McCormick seasonings in a slow cooker and called it a day

:(

A few years back, my wife’s company held a chili cook off and one of their C-suite guys won, admitted he just brought Wendy’s chili, and kept the 200$ cash prize.

Like maybe it’d be funny if he admitted it, laughed and gave the money to 2nd place, but come the gently caress on.

My wife hates that guy to this day.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Sounds like you should be madder at the judges tbh

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Intruder posted:

Sounds like you should be madder at the judges tbh

Ehhh a high six figure guy keeping a small prize when he literally put in zero effort is correctable. Possibly by guillotine.

Bad taste is not.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CannonFodder posted:

The US military is the only one that has the money and transport capability and complicated bureaucracy to handle basic logistics, and that's a testament to the logistics side of the US military.

International logistics is very hard, or so I have heard. For me, full understanding of domestic logistics is above my pay grade. International logistics in and out of a hot zone is even harder. The US Military is the only org with the combination of vehicles to move stuff, trained people to pilot those vehicles, and *here's the kicker* readily available fuel to power those vehicles and trained mechanics to keep those vehicles moving.

I say that when I hate the enormous amount of money that is spent on the US military on either the enormous grift (hello Halliburton and your cost plus contracts that incentivize transporting lovely products that have to be replaced at cost plus again) or the bone headed poo poo that just happens through the giant bureaucracy like the $200 screwdriver. I'm in awe of the actual logistics side of everything.

If this is true, then pretty much no one is capable of waging war ever. Russia is an oil producing country attacking a neighbor with the help of their friend Belarus. This shouldn’t even be that complicated for them.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

CannonFodder posted:

Yes, I remember.

I also remember that everyone was trying to one-up each other with bigger or wilder sandwiches, and then someone posted a simple mustard smear. Timing is everything. I'm smiling remembering it right now.

Voila! Your mustard.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1497940448672768001?t=iaQUV0H4Fg7bnrWeYPHS_Q&s=19

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Wendy’s chili guy sucks, that would be a hilarious stunt to pull and then laugh at everyone and tell them they all have bad taste and then give the prize to the next guy though.

Is this a good time to get back into Pokémon, I’ve been thinking about picking up Legends soon

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like the weed cat

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

T-Square posted:

Is this a good time to get back into Pokémon, I’ve been thinking about picking up Legends soon

Pokemon people I am vaguely aware of seem to like it, but I am not a pokemon guy so I have no opinion.

It's not my scene. I'm a little too old to have grown up with it, and I just never was able to get into things even though I'm very willing to get into geeky stuff.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

LeeMajors posted:

A few years back, my wife’s company held a chili cook off and one of their C-suite guys won, admitted he just brought Wendy’s chili, and kept the 200$ cash prize.

Like maybe it’d be funny if he admitted it, laughed and gave the money to 2nd place, but come the gently caress on.

My wife hates that guy to this day.

This rules apart from him pocketing the $200. I kind of miss office food cook-offs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Reminds me of a time my friends and I participated in a BBQ cook off, but it wasn't until we already had meat in the smoker that we learned it was run by the Shriners. Guess who won all the prizes?