Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

William Bear posted:

In the leadup to the invasion, it was pointed out that all the Western intelligence reports that said an invasion was imminent gave a way for Putin to save face. While they were proven correct, if Putin changed his mind and ordered the troops on Ukraine's border to disperse, it would make the CIA look like idiots.

What do you mean gave a way to save face, how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Weren't the nuclear forces also placed on high alert in 2014 or 2015 as well?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Since I saw the original posted a few times ITT:

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1497865170202288131

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

KitConstantine posted:

I haven't seen a lot of naval news during all this, but it looks like Turkey is telling Russia that they can't add any additional ships to their existing Black Sea Fleet presence.

This guy is the Turkey Bureau chief for the Middle East Eye.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497942711990636549?t=Ja0pOMjAfdYPfuG3Ev2lFg&s=19

A member of the Russian government previously said if they did this it would be a declaration of War.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ukle posted:

A member of the Russian government previously said if they did this it would be a declaration of War.

It would be. Turkey has a treaty obligation to allow Russia access.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This is the guy Putin planned to replace Yanukovich before Euromaidan happened.

if this had succeeded ukraine would have had 3 presidents in a row named viktor

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

go play outside Skyler posted:

I'll happily :toxx: myself on that. I'm happy to give 10bux to SA if I'm wrong.

Rather than giving a dying forum more money, do a charity :toxx:!

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

When Switzerland says neutral they mean neutral. They have the firepower to remain neutral too.

More like they have the absolute worst terrain for an offensive so its basically "Ah, gently caress it" situation.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sinteres posted:

It would be.

which means turkey would join the fight but also that NATO wouldn't be obligated to join as Turkey "attacked" russia, for those of you still trying to understand NATO here./

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

When Switzerland says neutral they mean neutral. They have the firepower to remain neutral too.

When Switzerland says "neutral" they mean "happily abetting fascism for profit".

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

which means turkey would join the fight but also that NATO wouldn't be obligated to join as Turkey "attacked" russia, for those of you still trying to understand NATO here./

NATO's probably pushing Turkey to do it, so I think they'd still view any Russian response as triggering Article V.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sinteres posted:

Not if Russia is at war they don't, thus the whole "Turkey recognizes the 'special military operation in Ukraine' as Russia is at war with Ukraine" messaging.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1497672363269562369

I'd like to think that a large number of Russian soldiers would be fine just standing around waiting for things to end, because they either think this is wrong, or simply don't give a poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And what are they going to do about it anyway? :colbert:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Honestly I'm glad it's not a condition that Zelinsky has to go to the peace talks

I really do have a feeling it's just going to be more saber rattling. Putin is racist as gently caress towards Ukraine and sees this as his reclamation of Greater Russia, and I think the only reason he's even paying this lip service is because thd Oligarchs are furious with him for loving up the money. I really do think something is deeply wrong mentally there: he's very much not even the same guy from five years ago.

The "Nuclear special alert" or whatever is more of this bullshit from him because he has no way to remove the sanctions short of thratening to nuke NATO, and NATO has way more together than he does and based on troop movements are calling his bluff.

His game of brinksmanship is over.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 27, 2022

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

What stops Putin from just capturing shooting Zelensky at the delegation? Seems like some bullshit he would do at this point.

What if Putin welcomes Zelenskyy and says enough is enough, lets talk peace and reaches out for a handshake, but KAPOW he's really setting up Zelenskyy for a judo throw and ends the war by ippon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

And they are using the treaty to limit their access on special but legal provisions.

TulliusCicero posted:

What stops Putin from just capturing shooting Zelensky at the delegation? Seems like some bullshit he would do at this point.

What keeps NATO from nuking Zelensky in Belarus???

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Apparently talks have started now.

I strongly doubt anything comes from these talks, but we'll at least know where the Russians draw their lines.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Not if Russia is at war they don't, thus the whole "Turkey recognizes the 'special military operation in Ukraine' as Russia is at war with Ukraine" messaging.

Notwithstanding the prohibition of passage laid down in paragraph 2 above, vessels of war belonging
to belligerent Powers, whether they are Black Sea Powers or not, which have become separated from
their bases, may return thereto.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/ErinBurnett/status/1497197197644816388?s=20&t=YAG8ji8u3oifNYamZl6_bA

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

Apparently talks have started now.

I strongly doubt anything comes from these talks, but we'll at least know where the Russians draw their lines.

Hmm, we'll learn where Russia is drawing their public lines. My money is that this will tell us very little.

e: if Turkey is going to play hardball with Russia over the Bospherus (bearing in mind that no actual ships appear to be expected to transit), now is the perfect time to do it. What are you going to do, you just committed 90% of your armed forces to a war in Ukraine?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Notwithstanding the prohibition of passage laid down in paragraph 2 above, vessels of war belonging
to belligerent Powers, whether they are Black Sea Powers or not, which have become separated from

The post talked about prohibiting access of non-Black Sea fleet vessels, so nothing in contradiction to this article in any way.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Dante posted:

What if Putin welcomes Zelenskyy and says enough is enough, lets talk peace and reaches out for a handshake, but KAPOW he's really setting up Zelenskyy for a judo throw and ends the war by ippon.

That would be illegal, Putin was thrown out of the international Judo federation and legally can't practice judo anymore.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/WendyRogersAZ/status/1497924876480483333

Reminder of who Republicans are cheering for.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497895706568237056

To be taken with a grain of salt, but still.

https://twitter.com/MJHaugen/status/1497940813032083468

:smith:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hell yes rot in hell bastards

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1497941632209108992?t=A1Ol1wYqS2sUHet2dFJLNw&s=19

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dante posted:

Zelensky reveals his own training in Kyokutan Karate- fate of war decided by Tekken battle

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 27, 2022

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Rather than giving a dying forum more money, do a charity :toxx:!

Well then that sounds good! 50 bucks to a Ukrainian relief charity if I'm wrong. Please DM me in case I forget

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sinteres posted:

Right. They can still close the straits to non-Black Sea Fleet warships; and furthermore, if the Turks decide that the Black Seas Fleet is in violation of one of the treaties other provisions, for example maximum allowable tonnage for naval fleets by Black Sea states in the Black Sea, they can close the straits legally to warships Russia has anointed part of her Black Seas Fleet.

Edit

They can also close the straits to any ship in the Black Sea Fleet they want if they are not given the statutory eight days notice of passage.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Leal posted:

As funny as it is watching the supposed number 2 strongest military be befuddled by removal of street signs and drive in circles, do they really not have a basic GPS?

This is from a while back but it’s important to know that the vast majority of GPS satellites are controlled by the US military. Not a good idea for russian soldiers to use them

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dante posted:

That's why you send Zhan Beleniuk instead.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this guy is a moron who retweeted that horrible DSA statement blaming Nato for the invasion.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

ukle posted:

Sinteres posted:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is not true. Turkey both by treaty and by historical precedent very tightly controls warships through the Bosporus and Dardanelles Straits and can unilaterally close it for passage if it considers it to be wartime. Specifically Turkey has always maintained the right to close the straits if two countries are at war, even if Turkey is neutral. Russia also has several naval ports within the Black Sea, so this is not something very important.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Was this the goon squad that the Chechen atrocity guy billed as special forces, who were offering money essentially for Ukranian scalps?

What is gently caress about find out in Ukranian?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 27, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Inner Light posted:

What do you mean gave a way to save face, how?

Basically:

CIA: Hey, everybody, Putin is about to go to war, that bad man that he is!

Putin: What? Of course not, you silly geese, these are just perfectly normal military exercises! *walks away whistling*

The Rest of the World: Oh for gently caress's sake, CIA, when are you going to stop crying wolf?

If Putin had decided that having his hand revealed was a good reason to call off the attack, he could have scored an easy diplomatic win on the cheap while looking like an aggrieved victim. He wouldn't have gotten Ukraine, but it would have been a pretty decent trade.

Instead he decided that the correct thing to do was to actually give the CIA credibility, of all things.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Dante posted:

This is not true. Turkey both by treaty and by historical precedent very tightly controls warships through the Bosporus and Dardanelles Straits and can unilaterally close it for passage if it considers it to be wartime. Russia also has several naval ports within the Black Sea, so this is not something very important.

Yes, there are special wartime provisions. These have been argued over I believe since the treaty was signed in 1936. Incidentally it was an argument with Stalin over this very treaty that led Turkey to abandon its policy of neutrality and seek NATO membership.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Zelensky reveals his own training in Kyokutan Karate- fate of war decided by Tekken battle

Zelensky thrown into volcano

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Yeah, one needs to keep in mind that the imagery of Russian tanks and missiles moving around and landing near Eastern Orthodox churches are going to be extra stomach lurchy for people who share the religion.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

aPoliteAdult posted:

Zelensky thrown into volcano

This reminds me that Putin was kicked out of the Judo organization he was so proud to be a black belt of.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh so it was actually true that the entire Chechen deathsquad convoy got blown up the day they entered Ukraine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Mate, you need to lay off that bottle. Russia isn’t going to nuke Ukraine, and Zelenskyi is not attending the talks.

Putin is loving crazy though