Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLlwuSJGUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I do believe you can see Bradley Cooper’s plastic baby driving one of the vehicles

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497885037324292098?cxt=HHwWhMCywaugx8kpAAAA

Would the crews have dropped in thermite before abandoning those vehicles? Otherwise have assumed they’d stay with them until a tow arrives, even if Ukraine couldn’t drive them off gotta be some valuable stuff worth ransacking.

Depends on how much the crews give a poo poo, really. It's even possible they deliberately stranded it and walked away like more heavily-armed Antonio Browns.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And it’s not like every soldier gets issued a thermite grenade on the way out the motor pool.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm also thinking that the nuclear thing might be posturing ahead of these peace talks. Funny how Russia has walked back their demands and is now agreeing to meet without preconditions.

I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish. I could see Ukraine MAYBE ceding Crimea in exchange for the return of the Donbass territories, but the shift in Russia's rhetoric makes me think they're desperate, and the Ukrainians know it. Especially if they're agreeing to this without having accomplished any strategic objectives.

I mean everyone who's played Stellaris knows you don't try to sue for peace until you've wiped out the enemy's biggest fleet and occupied at least one of their major systems.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

I'm also thinking that the nuclear thing might be posturing ahead of these peace talks. Funny how Russia has walked back their demands and is now agreeing to meet without preconditions.

It’s because their invasion is going so well.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Anyway, I don't think Putin will go nuclear on Ukraine before he goes Grozhny on Kiev.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

I feel like nuclear threats carry tacit chem/bio weapon threats too

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nuking is a lot more convenient than transporting enough ammo to destroy much of a city that size, idk if he can do that rn. The forces seem really thinly spread.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

"Ukraine agrees to hold talks with Russia at the Belarusian border" https://twitter.com/i/events/1483255084750282753?s=20

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

aphid_licker posted:

Nuking is a lot more convenient than transporting enough ammo to destroy much of a city that size, idk if he can do that rn. The forces seem really thinly spread.

Tu-22? Tu-160?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Tu-22? Tu-160?

You mean just jam them full of iron bombs? Okay yeah didn't think of that.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Stealing this from TFR since I think we could all use a chuckle:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also got sent this by a friend today, was good for a laugh:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

psydude posted:

I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish. I could see Ukraine MAYBE ceding Crimea in exchange for the return of the Donbass territories, but the shift in Russia's rhetoric makes me think they're desperate, and the Ukrainians know it. Especially if they're agreeing to this without having accomplished any strategic objectives.

I mean everyone who's played Stellaris knows you don't try to sue for peace until you've wiped out the enemy's biggest fleet and occupied at least one of their major systems.

Putins assumptions were probably a little too rosy, the population would welcome with open arms, easy stroll to Kyiv, install new puppet, etc. Now he's in an extremely poor position since it should be obvious even a puppet would require an extreme amount of resources combined with brutal repression to maintain a hold. Theres also big doubts about how long Russia can sustain any sort of ops in Ukraine. This means he has completely wrecked everything while achieving nothing. I think I saw there being doubts about Russias ability to think about reparations but imagine everyone agreeing to pulling back to Feb 20th lines at this point. That may be the best option though.

The assumption has to be that Putin is rational and thus would not escalate as long as others aren't escalating, with nuke talk being a rather obvious bluff. I'm not sure what the move is if he is irrational, that means he isn't going to respond to negotiations in a meaningful way and there probably wouldn't be a point.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497961612912869380

I'm still looking for conformation elsewhere.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

My suspicion is that the UA regulars are practicing opsec re: smartphones and social media given their experiences in Donbas with Russians exploiting Ukrainian cell phones for targeting. They've learned the hard way over the past eight years that you don't run around posting Tiktoks of your sick shots when the other side has SIGINT capabilities.

My suspicion is that someone is running a coordinated campaign to keep social media that compromises Ukrainian positions from popping up, but it's really not my area, so that that with a grain of :tinfoil:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1497951625897394176?t=fQ-YGZ-BhfCU17Qzl1QwKA&s=19

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Please tell me theres an escape hatch cuz otherwise ugh

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Well, it's a good question. If Putin drops a nuke on Ukraine, what are other states going to do about it? Would you, put in the same position as Macron,Boris, or Biden go "alright boys, the response to this is full blown nuclear war, get me the brief case. It's time to actually end history"? This whole invasion legit puts to the test what the actual gently caress anyone can do if a nuclear armed states decides to play WW2 Germany.

You certainly dont sit back and tell the maniac that just used a nuke that they get to dictate any terms. Its a full on war of preservation to maintain the nuclear taboo and prevent a first strike wave scenario. Otherwise you will just continue running into the same scenario, or worse

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saint Javelin Protects

https://twitter.com/reevellp/status/1497967551455932416?s=21

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

lightpole posted:

Even if there was one, I doubt anyone got to use it. My 1st deployment we lost a whole crew of an M1114 when they went off the road into a small creek, and their gun hatch was wide open.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Russia

quote:

Sources in the Moscow Patriarchy called it a new sect: "Some structure, maybe even having thought out the technology of realization of its plan, spread nets for appealing people to another post-, or super-, or overreligious sect"

I only heard about Project Russia a couple of days ago, but I'm kinda worried Russia has a death cult of its own now, and Putin has a cordon of bodyguards even his oligarchs can't get through. Sorry for being so :tinfoil:, but I'm living in a major European city. Maybe the perspective is different overseas.

e: Let me add this: gently caress neutrality, and gently caress appeasement.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lightpole posted:

When you're suddenly inverted, water coming in, and possibly injured just from the fall... uh...

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

When you're suddenly inverted, water coming in, and possibly injured just from the fall... uh...

Oof. Please don't.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Would the crews have dropped in thermite before abandoning those vehicles? Otherwise have assumed they’d stay with them until a tow arrives, even if Ukraine couldn’t drive them off gotta be some valuable stuff worth ransacking.

This is something I have been wondering too. I know it's probably easy to disable these vehicles but looking at the SPG there's no sign of and fire damage internally, so are they just removing the "doohickeys" that stop them working or are they just running out of fuel/getting stuck and walking away?

Thread moving too fast for this old man.

Burt fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 27, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Personally I think not taking it serious that Putin will use nukes, or believing he is bluffing, is really, really not a good move. He's a madman and all signs seem to be he doesn't loving care and rationale doesn't apply. He already invaded after all the talk about bluffing or how there was little to gain, etc...he probably figured he would have been dead by MAD decades ago, the guy isn't playing a game where diplomacy or sanctions can work on him.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/kenmoriyasu/status/1497767141075869696?t=RiBpuv8prE1bSl4QPI205A&s=09

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I also want to know how many private jets are currently heading for NZ.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
I don't see any scenario where nukes help his position. There's no concentration of Ukrainian forces to drop the bomb on, and targeting any other nation is a massive unprovoked escalation. There's at least a couple steps before a nuke becomes involved.

But the threat of a nuke keeps other countries from taking those steps. Which means it's not a mad-man move, it's flashing the gun in your waistband when someone comes to stop you beating up your neighbor.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Good Lord that's a shift.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

that's a HUGE shift, holy moly.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

NightGyr posted:

I don't see any scenario where nukes help his position. There's no concentration of Ukrainian forces to drop the bomb on, and targeting any other nation is a massive unprovoked escalation. There's at least a couple steps before a nuke becomes involved.

But the threat of a nuke keeps other countries from taking those steps. Which means it's not a mad-man move, it's flashing the gun in your waistband when someone comes to stop you beating up your neighbor.

The thing that worries me is if Putin decides to just start dropping tactical nukes on civilian targets using the justification "the USA did the same thing in 1945 to end the war quickly without further bloodshed!" while conveniently overlooking the fact that the US was in a defensive war.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good Lord that's a shift.

MA-Horus posted:

that's a HUGE shift, holy moly.

Note that Abe is no longer Prime Minister, so it's basically just some dude's opinion. This doesn't seem too out of line for Abe, though - he tried really hard for years to change the Japanese constitution to remove Article 9, the one that renounces Japan's right to wage war. I don't keep up with Japanese politics that much since I don't have the right to vote here, but he's always seemed very hawkish to me.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Abe isn't prime minister anymore.

bees everywhere posted:

The thing that worries me is if Putin decides to just start dropping tactical nukes on civilian targets using the justification "the USA did the same thing in 1945 to end the war quickly without further bloodshed!" while conveniently overlooking the fact that the US was in a defensive war.

Dropping unprovoked nukes = irrational/insane means Europe/USA is next at any time so the best course is first strike, unless there's something I'm missing?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

Personally I think not taking it serious that Putin will use nukes, or believing he is bluffing, is really, really not a good move. He's a madman and all signs seem to be he doesn't loving care and rationale doesn't apply. He already invaded after all the talk about bluffing or how there was little to gain, etc...he probably figured he would have been dead by MAD decades ago, the guy isn't playing a game where diplomacy or sanctions can work on him.

It’s not my job to take it serious. I’d rather not sit around staring out my window waiting on a mushroom cloud, and I’d rather not influence people to sit around and wait for it either.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 27, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spoggerific posted:

Note that Abe is no longer Prime Minister, so it's basically just some dude's opinion. This doesn't seem too out of line for Abe, though - he tried really hard for years to change the Japanese constitution to remove Article 9, the one that renounces Japan's right to wage war. I don't keep up with Japanese politics that much since I don't have the right to vote here, but he's always seemed very hawkish to me.

I don't really follow Japanese politics either but there's got to be quite a difference between trying to remove Article 9 and explicitly saying "yeah, let's let the US base nukes in Japan."

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Kyiv is the symbolic birthplace of the Russian nation, and of Slavic Christianity. I don't think he's willing to destroy it given his stated reasons for this war.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

lightpole posted:

Dropping unprovoked nukes = irrational/insane means Europe/USA is next at any time so the best course is first strike, unless there's something I'm missing?

That's what I would think, so hopefully Putin isn't completely insane. I know it can be beneficial for world leaders to seem irrational and unpredictable at times and that certainly helps when they're hoping we won't call their bluff, but then at some point you have to wonder if it's all a show or if they really have lost their minds. [It's probably a mix of both]

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

boop the snoot posted:

It’s not my job to take it serious. I’d rather not sit around staring out my window waiting on a mushroom cloud, and I’d rather not influence people to sit around and wait for it either.

I'm not suggesting staring out the window, but acting like Putin is a rational actor who won't do this for x y z is so far not working out!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Bored As gently caress posted:

The amount of intel their HUMINT assets are giving them has to be massive.

Mentioned this earlier but there's a reason they've been getting better Intel from their HUMINT assets as of late, and it's not because some Russians suddenly love NATO or the US.

Make anyone look at the reality of their assets or lifestyle suddenly evaporating because of someone else's stupidity or bad decision making, and I'm sure they'll tell you things they wouldn't have ever dreamed of telling anyone outside of their circles even a month ago in hopes that it might stop that from happening or continuing.

fknlo posted:

I can’t imagine that Putin doesn’t end up falling out a window if the oligarchs think that becomes an actual possibility.

Not an empty quote.

Better yet,
https://twitter.com/mikenelson586/status/1497954929318768641?t=K-pUc2Gtm8H2xr5XydcsCw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
E: it’s my problem.

I’m going to take a break.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 27, 2022