Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Sinteres posted:

It's been three days.

Yeah but they have legitimate grievances!
You should hear them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Sinteres posted:

I'm not supposed to talk about NATO expansion anymore here, so if you don't think Russia had legitimate grievances we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one part of a post you probably mostly agree with.

It's a grievance in the "of course a dictatorship doesn't want a defensive military alliance aligned with its main rival spreading among its former client republics" way, but Russia is a dictatorship and therefore its military concerns are only legitimate in so far as one supports autocracy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Yeah but they have legitimate grievances!
You should hear them out.

You either missed the point or aren't very coherent to begin with.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I have legitimate grievances with Sinteres being allowed to post in this thread.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Mods, how long can Sinteres post itt blaming NATO and 1939ing 'not our war', however candidly? I got a sixer for pointing out that their views are aligned with American far-right, are these the kind of people we want to be posting here?

Sorry for venting, just got back from delivering medicine and clothes for Ukraine relief here in Białystok. Can't believe people are still blaming NATO for this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Edit:Nvm

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

surf rock posted:

I mean, at what point do the anti-Kadyrov rebels in Chechnya see an opportunity to go after their own domestic madman?

Literally the second Putin croaks he will lose his head. There are other clans in Chechnya, there are exiles and all of them are kept at bay by massive cash influx and federal backing for Kadyrov guaranteed by Putin.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Mods, how long can Sinteres post itt blaming NATO and 1939ing 'not our war', however candidly? I got a sixer for pointing out that their views are aligned with American far-right, are these the kind of people we want to be posting here?

Sorry for venting, just got back from delivering medicine and clothes for Ukraine relief here in Białystok. Can't believe people are still blaming NATO for this.

Saying a country has legitimate grievances doesn't mean it justifies war, especially when I said Ukraine also had legitimate grievances even before this invasion. You really are just asking for the thread to be a place where no one who disagrees in any way with you is allowed.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Grouchio posted:

Putin puts nuclear forces on high alert, escalating tensions

How do we know that the 'heightened alert' of Russia's nuclear forces is a bluff here?

Cut it out with the Clancychat ffs. Nothing that happens in Ukraine is going to result in an existential threat to Russia so nukes are not on the menu.

Sinteres posted:

Saying a country has legitimate grievances doesn't mean it justifies war, especially when I said Ukraine also had legitimate grievances even before this invasion. You really are just asking for the thread to be a place where no one who disagrees in any way with you is allowed.

Demanding that you have control over a sovereign county's foreign policy is not a "legitimate grievance" unless you think imperialism is legitimate. gently caress off.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Grouchio posted:

Putin puts nuclear forces on high alert, escalating tensions

How do we know that the 'heightened alert' of Russia's nuclear forces is a bluff here?

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497952720841584647

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

The Russian latest objectives based on US intel is to seize either Karkhiv or Kyiv by Monday. What good is it to break into a city with tanks only to be hit from all sides and angles where the populace has a poo poo ton of anti tank rockets/ missiles?

That’s not US Intel, that’s a random chat screenshot that some pundits are taking seriously for no reason.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PIZZA.BAT posted:

This is from a while back but it’s important to know that the vast majority of GPS satellites are controlled by the US military. Not a good idea for russian soldiers to use them

GPS used to have a method to turn down accuracy but it’s trivial to defeat since you just need one known point. America could turn the whole system off but that is wildly impractical at this point.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

You know if you really think about Hitler had legitimate grievances about Czechoslovakia:thunk:

loving allies aggression man

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 27, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This is the type of peace posting I see on twitter and what somehow makes me so upset.

It's frustrating because I think the intentions are pure, and it seems to propagate so well among their circles, too.
I'm not discrediting peace movements, but I have a pretty big bone to pick with coffee shop commies tut-tuting over twitter when a people fight for their freedom.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
There is an argument to be made that Russia has security concerns vis a vis NATO.

OTOH, they're bad. There's a reason everyone in Eastern Europe hates them and is suddenly enthusiastic to send support to their enemies. Russian security concerns and Russian imperialism are indistinguishable, and they've spent centuries invading and persecuting their neighbors.

The fundamental Russian position is that our neighbors don't like us and we need to make sure they never threaten us. Their neighbors' fundamental position is Russia keeps invading us. These are not equivalent and Russia has been unwilling to construct a genuine mutual security architecture that isn't just Russian occupation.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1497957027988992001?t=9FGQpLakQnh-2h9yWvv5gQ&s=19

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Bashez posted:

I don't think this got answered but I'm using ublock origin with this filter I found that may or may not be russian spyware I don't know how computers work.

twitter.com##div#layers div[data-testid="sheetDialog"]:upward(div[role="group"][tabindex="0"])
twitter.com##html:style(overflow: auto !important;)

Easier method is to remove everything from the url after question mark:

"https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1497931292247134212?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1497941632209108992%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fnoseen%3D0threadid%3D3993516perpage%3D40pagenumber%3D330pti13"

-->

"https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1497931292247134212"

And the login popup should not appear when you scroll down.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Sinteres posted:

You either missed the point or aren't very coherent to begin with.

You're right. I'm not coherent in a war threatening people I care about which is why your insistence that Russia had some mythical legitimate concerns a priori is stupid.

Keep hand wringing how wrong you always are. Or maybe change your views for once.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I still think it's some sort of brain damage/dementia. Putins greatest success in the last 30 years has probably been his abilitity to play the diplomatic and information warfare game in a way that help split european interests apart, by sowing dissent, sponsoring extremists etc. financial entanglements and so on. Some would argue that it played a not insignificant role in brexit for example. No-one wanted to risk their relationship with russia over his sponsporing of regime changes all over easten europe. This ukrainian war completely ruins all that work. Europe probably hasn't been this united since 1944 and while a lot of it will crumble as soon as different national interests takes over again; bridges are being built and relationships are being made right now, at an institutional level, that'll probably last. The reaction to crimea should probalby have been his hint. Even nato has gone from being an annoying footnote, only really relevant because trump tried to use it as a blackmail tool, to otherwise entirely diplomatically oriented people thinking about increasing military budgets for nato contributions. It's like the biggest single geopolitical miscalculation in ages probabky. Also, it was one a lot political analysts and so on (as well as the most pro russia posters itt) were like "there is no way he actually attacks, it's such a bad idea. He is not that stupid.".

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 27, 2022

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

GPS used to have a method to turn down accuracy but it’s trivial to defeat since you just need one known point. America could turn the whole system off but that is wildly impractical at this point.

I interpreted that post as if you use GPS to know where you are, the US can k ow where you are as well.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm not telling anyone else to post, so this isn't backseat modding, but when I said I'm not allowed to talk about it, viewing that as an opportunity to state all the counterpoints anyway is pretty lame.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Terminally Bored posted:

Until people in this thread learn to understand that their world view (and that of most western leaders) are in direct contrast to classic balance of power politics (that Putin subscribes to), then we will continue to talk past each other. Diplomacy (like any other form of non-coercive dispute resolution) failed precisely because neither side could come to grips with how each other views NATO. It isn't the first time this has happened and it isn't limited to authoritarian regimes (ie the failure of the US to understand the Vietnam conflict as a nationalist struggle rather than a cold war struggle). Getting butt hurt because Sinteres does understand the roots of this conflict and simply doesn't chalk Putin up as 'insane' or a megalomaniac, or wanting to rebuild the Russian empire shouldn't prevent him from posting.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Sanctions can be a broad term so I don’t think people realize what’s been initialized. No way Russia predicted it would be this extreme because these sanctions are going to gently caress Europe especially too. Exports are going to be shut down for weeks and even when workarounds get into place it’s going to be nowhere near the same level. But the bigger deal is the rouble is going to outright collapse and the Central bank reserve that could alleviate the coming crash was frozen by sanctions.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

PIZZA.BAT posted:

This is from a while back but it’s important to know that the vast majority of GPS satellites are controlled by the US military. Not a good idea for russian soldiers to use them

Eh, this was touched on earlier as well but the Russians have their own global satnav system, GLONASS. They don't need the US GPS, though they can be more accurate if they had both. Either way the military is centered around using GLONASS precisely because they want to be independent of GPS.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vahakyla posted:

This is the type of peace posting I see on twitter and what somehow makes me so upset.

It's frustrating because I think the intentions are pure, and it seems to propagate so well among their circles, too.
I'm not discrediting peace movements, but I have a pretty big bone to pick with coffee shop commies tut-tuting over twitter when a people fight for their freedom.

Pacifism has no prescription for dealing with fascism, sadly.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Can they still do that? Outside of destroying the satellites. I thought Clinton removed that option, along with the accuracy thing for consumer devices.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Two deputy ministers
Duma commitee chair
Ambassador

What would you want on a negotiating mission? Obviously they aren't going to send the very highest ranks of the government.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MikeC posted:

Getting butt hurt because Sinteres does understand the roots of this conflict and simply doesn't chalk Putin up as 'insane' or a megalomaniac, or wanting to rebuild the Russian empire shouldn't prevent him from posting.

Putin literally released a statement saying he's doing this to rebuild the Russian empire, even using Tsarist language to do so lol

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sinteres posted:

I'm not supposed to talk about NATO expansion anymore here, so if you don't think Russia had legitimate grievances we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one part of a post you probably mostly agree with.

The amount of legitimate grievances Russia has has loving skyrocketed in the last 4 days

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

Putin literally released a statement saying he's doing this to rebuild the Russian empire, even using Tsarist language to do so lol

That speech was an unbelievable self own, what a moron.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The amount of legitimate grievances Russia has has loving skyrocketed in the last 4 days

Unironically yes, but their capacity to ever address them has done the reverse.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Has Magomed Tushayev been killed for sure? I'm seeing the contrarian left parts of Twitter say its just more incorrect propaganda, but then those guys were saying 'Lol, Russia's not going to invade you idiots, its just State department propaganda' a week ago.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

ok this is funny. The 2 Greek C-130s we are sending with aid to Ukraine are filled with....confiscated Ukrainian rifles lol

https://twitter.com/LSpyropoulou/status/1497873662569029633

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Trump posted:

Can they still do that? Outside of destroying the satellites. I thought Clinton removed that option, along with the accuracy thing for consumer devices.

IIRC Clinton removed the standard fixed accuracy degradation in consumer systems that was in place since it became open to the public but not the capability to turn it back on if needed never went away.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

steinrokkan posted:

Two deputy ministers
Duma commitee chair
Ambassador

What would you want on a negotiating mission? Obviously they aren't going to send the very highest ranks of the government.

medinskii is a notorious anti-ukraine hawk, so it's not exactly a good sign in the same way that i probably wouldn't send tom cotton to negotiate with anyone.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: nvm

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MikeC posted:

Until people in this thread learn to understand that their world view (and that of most western leaders) are in direct contrast to classic balance of power politics (that Putin subscribes to), then we will continue to talk past each other. Diplomacy (like any other form of non-coercive dispute resolution) failed precisely because neither side could come to grips with how each other views NATO. It isn't the first time this has happened and it isn't limited to authoritarian regimes (ie the failure of the US to understand the Vietnam conflict as a nationalist struggle rather than a cold war struggle). Getting butt hurt because Sinteres does understand the roots of this conflict and simply doesn't chalk Putin up as 'insane' or a megalomaniac, or wanting to rebuild the Russian empire shouldn't prevent him from posting.

If we're dealing in balance of power politics, it's time to act accordingly and show Russian government in terms they understand that there's no "balance of power" between them and the West and that they are a tinpot dictatorship, a wriggling worm waiting to be squashed with extreme prejudice. Then they will wish they never brought this kind of logic back into European politics.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

MikeC posted:

Putin is a fascist and is using fascist rhetoric. Good on you and Sinteres that both of you can look past that somehow.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

If we're dealing in balance of power politics, it's time to act accordingly and show Russian government in terms they understand that there's no "balance of power" between them and the West and that they are a tinpot dictatorship, a worm waiting to be squashed.

I appreciate you being honest about this now at least.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Trump posted:

From gps.gov:

quote:

Selective Availability (SA) was an intentional degradation of public GPS signals implemented for national security reasons.

In May 2000, at the direction of President Bill Clinton, the U.S government discontinued its use of Selective Availability in order to make GPS more responsive to civil and commercial users worldwide.

The United States has no intent to ever use Selective Availability again.

In September 2007, the U.S. government announced its decision to procure the future generation of GPS satellites, known as GPS III, without the SA feature. Doing this will make the policy decision of 2000 permanent and eliminate a source of uncertainty in GPS performance that had been of concern to civil GPS users worldwide.

We've launched 5/10 of the GPS Block III satellites, with 4 online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

I appreciate you being honest about this now at least.

I'm using your logic, and what it means for Putin in terms of inevitable consequences of his own actions.