Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

That phone does look very nice.

It's so odd to me they have the OnePlus brand recognition here and in India especially now, they were already owned by the same company but are now "integrated," why are they offering such different devices to different regions under different names at different times if one model is so much better than the others?

I know the answer is money I just don't get exactly how the sausage is being made here by leaving the seemingly good one out of certain markets. Why are they going to serve up the OnePlus 10 pro that has dozens of articles about it folding in half to a stiff breeze instead of rebranding that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Have a super frustrating problem. How do I make Android OS keep my "Opening Links" settings under Default Apps? I keep setting reddit links to open in the reddit app, and the next day they are all un-checked again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

smoobles posted:

Have a super frustrating problem. How do I make Android OS keep my "Opening Links" settings under Default Apps? I keep setting reddit links to open in the reddit app, and the next day they are all un-checked again.

I have this issue with twitter links too. I set it to open in my twitter app but randomly links will start opening a browser tab on the twitter page instead. Definitely frustrating.

Edit: V lmao

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 25, 2022

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's a dumb thing Google introduced in Android 12. Every time a third-party app updates, those associations are reset.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hooah posted:

It's a dumb thing Google introduced in Android 12. Every time a third-party app updates, those associations are reset.

What the hell, Google? You're literally a search engine, let us search things and open links in the right app.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hooah posted:

Oh that's why it happens? I was wondering what the deal was with that. Still seems to be an issue in 12L so I doubt much is going to change in 13.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just installed my whitedome screen protector and even after watching the videos several times and going very slow and methodical with this, it still hosed up a couple of times. I was down to the last bottle of glue before I finally got it. Results are very nice though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Probably not the thread for this question but I'll shoot anyway:
For some reason my Authy account isn't syncing my Facebook 2FA - what's up with that? It's fine on my phone but it doesn't transfer over when I install elsewhere. I haven't come across any other accounts that don't sync.

E: Nevermind, mystery solved.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 25, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's been interesting comparing One UI 4.1 against 4.0. The material you themeing is a lot more extensive on 4.1. In particular, the accent colors in OneUI 4.0 only affect the Samsung UI. However, on 4.1, you see the color change reflected within google apps like Gmail like you do on Pixels. I do wish the themed icons would come over though since it makes things nice and clean on the Pixel.

One thing that drive me crazy trying to figure out until I was able to trace what did it. On OneUI (both 4.0 and 4.1) your user profile picture is broken on the discover feed to the left of the home screen if you are on the January 1st 2022 Google Play system update. The profile picture is there if you open the Google App directly. It's also fine on Pixels.

I thought there was something messed up in setup when I got done with the S22 Ultra and I saw the icon was missing because I had just started setting up the Tab S8 Ultra and it was there. It was only AFTER I restarted that it vanished.

Then I noticed it was still there on my Z Flip 3 so I checked the Play system update date and it was Dec 1st. Updated to January, rebooted, boom profile icon was gone and all I have is an initial. It's a cosmetic thing, but still a little irksome. At least I know what caused it and I'm not thinking I have to redo the setup of the device to fix something.

The S22 Ultra is nice. Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor still is maddening sometimes. I'll use it fine at one point and then 2 minutes later I'll try to use it and get locked out from biometrics for too many failed attempts. The Pixel 6 Pro sensor is much more reliable (if just a touch slower) for me.

Again I'm finding I like the physical design of more squared off devices better. The curve radius of the S22U, even though it's not as tight as the S21U, is still tighter than the Pixel 6 Pro and I honestly think it makes the device feel a little dated.

SIM is still in the Pixel 6 Pro for now as the main camera is still stronger and I don't really have any issues with the device in general, but I'll probably mix it up a bit more between the two in the future.

Other notes:
It still annoys me there's no easy shortcut to Google Pay on OneUI devices. You can setup a default card, but if you want multiple there's just no quick toggle to get to a card picker, I really wish there was some way to do that.

Google Messages is now the default message handler on these devices even though they still preload Samsung Messages and you can't uninstall it. The layout is a special Samsung tweak that follows OneUI conventions a little more closely. Version of the app between the S22 and Pixel seem to be the same other than the Samsung one having "phone_samsung_dynamic" instead of "phone_dynamic" at the end.

OneUI is still maddingly limited in a few areas of customization. I was happy when they finally had multiple DnD schedules awhile ago, but DnD on the Pixel is still so much more customizable. You can have DnD invoked via calendar events on the Pixel. You can also override default DnD behavior per scheduled event which is really nice. I like to have calls ring my phone while I'm sleeping in case of emergency while silencing all other notifications. However, there are other times (like my exercise class) that I just want it fully silent and not ring or anything so there's not interruption. Not only can I tie that DnD to my calendar on the Pixel, I can specify how it responds for that DnD schedule. OneUI just has times for on and off and one overall DnD behavior setting.

Callscreen is still such an amazing thing and is the main thing keeping me from putting my SIM in a non-Pixel device.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Someone on Reddit said you can delete more bloatware on the s22. Do they finally let you delete the useless duplicate Samsung apps like "internet"?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

OneUI is still maddingly limited in a few areas of customization. I was happy when they finally had multiple DnD schedules awhile ago, but DnD on the Pixel is still so much more customizable. You can have DnD invoked via calendar events on the Pixel. You can also override default DnD behavior per scheduled event which is really nice. I like to have calls ring my phone while I'm sleeping in case of emergency while silencing all other notifications. However, there are other times (like my exercise class) that I just want it fully silent and not ring or anything so there's not interruption. Not only can I tie that DnD to my calendar on the Pixel, I can specify how it responds for that DnD schedule. OneUI just has times for on and off and one overall DnD behavior setting.
You can use Bixby routines and/or Good Lock's routines(+) to setup pretty much anything you want to do (it includes touch macros). It does have other priorities for how it works however, and one isn't calendar integration sadly.
I achieve what you want by geofencing my gym / local cinema etc and you can dial in every aspect you want to change, be it full DND, selective muting or just reducing the volume / setting to vibrate etc.
e.g. at work my phone vibrates for calls and is otherwise mute, I only allow fast-charging at work because if I am charging there, I want it fast and it can slow-charge overnight at home.
Among a bunch of other tweaks.

I can only assume Good Lock (and it's system tweaking companion, Good Guardian) aren't default apps because people will complain about feature fatigue, but if you want to get into the weeds a little both have useful components.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Someone on Reddit said you can delete more bloatware on the s22. Do they finally let you delete the useless duplicate Samsung apps like "internet"?
Samsung internet is either the best mobile browser or is tied for the position depending on how you want to use it. Some things might be redundant, but their browser isn't one.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 26, 2022

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

After a lot of back and forth with FedEx I finally got the S22. Love the green color they chose for this. Still have the Pixel 6 that my buddy sent me and I'm not 100% sure if I'm keeping that or not.

The size of this thing reminds me of the 12 Mini I used to have even though it's the same size as the 13 Pro I also have. Something about those squared off edges does it for me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't have a problem with "internet" as much as having duplicate apps at all. I don't need it and Samsung always tries to direct you back to its poo poo.

That sucks. How's the battery? There's some talk of it being slightly worse than the s21 ultra?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My SIM isn't in it (and even if it was, I'm pretty much at home most of the time) and I just got done setting it up today so I really can't judge.

I'll probably give it a run for a full week next week and I'll see, SIM is staying in the P6P for the weekend.

On a different note, it took MKBHD making a comment on the Tab S8 Ultra review for me to realize why I haven't had a lick of trouble with that fingerprint sensor. It's optical.

Looks like there was an update for the Google app this evening that fixed the profile picture on the discover feed off the home screen.

I will say the dup apps are limited to Messages (which is dumb because Google messages is the default anyways) out of the box. It becomes more if you install and prefer to use the Google version of calendar, contacts, and clock.

One other weird thing I just saw in an article, apparently S22 series is not using Google for RCS even if you use Google messages (unless your are on Verizon). If you are on Att and T-Mobile, it actually uses T-Mobile for RCS.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5google.com/2022/02/25/galaxy-s22-google-messages-rcs/amp/

That bit is giving me hesitation in bouncing between devices. I forsee potential RCS issues if I'm moving between T-Mobile and Google backend constantly.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 26, 2022

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Ran into an odd bug on my P6: opened an app and everything was slightly fuzzy like it was rendering at the wrong resolution for the display, then I looked around and realized it was affecting every app including the launcher. When I pulled down the notification tray, there were only the notification cards and nothing else - no clock or status icons, no quick toggles. Just one giant notification card area that covered the entire screen. Reboot fixed it but I have no idea how it happened. :shrug:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lately I've not been getting occasional new texts. Sometimes I'll even be looking at my phone and I'll see the "Messages is processing a new incoming message" notification, then nothing. I just went to messages.google.com/web this morning and saw a text that I missed last night, the sender followed up on it this morning. Even now, my phone is showing me the text from this morning and my reply to it, but not the one from last night. Moto G Power (2020), Android 11, on Google Fi.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody have an issue with Android Auto cutting off last bits of sentences with podcasts?

Like, if someone is coming to an end of a sentence that will have a slightly longer than normal pause (aka end of a thought or about to switch speakers) it will trim off the last half of the last word.

It's gotta be something with the way podcasts audio is processed somehow?

It doesn't happen on music.

It does happen across both stitcher and Spotify so it doesn't seem to be app specific.

I just figured it was some sort of aggressive optimization of some sort.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've noticed it on one or two podcasts. I'm not sure if it's Android Auto exactly or the way the audio is processed on the head unit end.

Audio is PCM and I'm thinking there's both a delay in output and that if the head unit gets 100% silence on the input, it shuts it off.

So, if there's any background noise, continuity of signal continues and there's no issue. But if there isn't any background, not even low level line hiss, then the input shuts off.

It's just a theory, but it's similar to the startup delay of an AV receiver and how some streaming devices have the ability to provide a constant silence signal to keep the receiver active.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
bull3964, I've read some reviews of the S22 series that say the modems are much better than the Pixel 6 and result in huge improvements in download/upload speed at the same location on the same network. Please share your experiences when you can!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't seem to be able to do apples to apples comparison right now because the S22 Ultra doesn't seem to want to latch on to the 5g Ultra Capacity bands near my house. It's sticking with 5g low band for some reason.

But as it stands they are both getting download speeds in the 550mbps range and upload around 10mbps.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 26, 2022

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

BonoMan posted:

Anybody have an issue with Android Auto cutting off last bits of sentences with podcasts?

Like, if someone is coming to an end of a sentence that will have a slightly longer than normal pause (aka end of a thought or about to switch speakers) it will trim off the last half of the last word.

It's gotta be something with the way podcasts audio is processed somehow?

It doesn't happen on music.

It does happen across both stitcher and Spotify so it doesn't seem to be app specific.

I just figured it was some sort of aggressive optimization of some sort.

I honestly thought I was going crazy, but yeah I have the exact same issue. It's been a non factor though so I haven't bothered looking into it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah that's been happening to me too. I always assumed it was BT interference but now that you mention it I never have that problem listening through my earbuds.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do have to say, I'm completely digging the Tab S8 Ultra. I just need the drat keyboard case to ship because it really needs a kickstand.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

On the other hand, is there any way to get websites to shut up about their apps? If I'm checking a reddit thread once every blue moon, I'm sure as hell not installing their lovely app. Same for twitter garbage.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Is there a common known cause for why my Android phones have always sent picture texts incredibly slowly? My wife's iPhone doesn't seem to have this problem, it's almost as if my phone is always trying to send SMS messages over mobile data, instead of Wi-Fi.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Use signal instead.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

null_pointer posted:

Is there a common known cause for why my Android phones have always sent picture texts incredibly slowly? My wife's iPhone doesn't seem to have this problem, it's almost as if my phone is always trying to send SMS messages over mobile data, instead of Wi-Fi.

I don't think text messages get sent through WiFi like calls can. Also reception strength can wildly differ between phones.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Use signal instead.

This is the correct answer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Lately I've not been getting occasional new texts. Sometimes I'll even be looking at my phone and I'll see the "Messages is processing a new incoming message" notification, then nothing. I just went to messages.google.com/web this morning and saw a text that I missed last night, the sender followed up on it this morning. Even now, my phone is showing me the text from this morning and my reply to it, but not the one from last night. Moto G Power (2020), Android 11, on Google Fi.

I'd suspect carrier fuckery before phone issues on this one. My partner is using T-Mobile and their signal barely reaches our house, so it falls back on wifi calling a lot, and she sees all sorts of weirdness with texts when at home.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

lol imagine being so delusional you've convinced yourself that everyone you know, especially iphone users, is going to adopt some new separate app taking up space on their homescreen just to communicate with YOU specifically bc you have an android?

the real answer is: get used to it bc it's never going to change/go away until apple releases imessage for android, which is never going to happen

the best i've been able to do is convince most of my nearly-40 friends to use facebook messenger. it's actually a fully featured robust messaging app and everyone i know has a facebook account. i talk to the younger people i know via instagram. we text for basic communication and i have to remind them every time they send me a video that they should send it on IG bc it came through looking like it was recorded on a moto razr.

the one thing i really haven't been able to (or bothered to) figure out is why some iphone users receive and send photos without any loss of quality and some always just look like absolute poo poo. like there's almost a solution there but it's hit or miss.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

lol imagine being so delusional you've convinced yourself that everyone you know, especially iphone users, is going to adopt some new separate app taking up space on their homescreen just to communicate with YOU specifically bc you have an android?

the real answer is: get used to it bc it's never going to change/go away until apple releases imessage for android, which is never going to happen

the best i've been able to do is convince most of my nearly-40 friends to use facebook messenger. it's actually a fully featured robust messaging app and everyone i know has a facebook account. i talk to the younger people i know via instagram. we text for basic communication and i have to remind them every time they send me a video that they should send it on IG bc it came through looking like it was recorded on a moto razr.

the one thing i really haven't been able to (or bothered to) figure out is why some iphone users receive and send photos without any loss of quality and some always just look like absolute poo poo. like there's almost a solution there but it's hit or miss.

People download dozens of lovely apps for lesser reasons, so convincing people to use Signal hasn't been difficult. Not to mention the loads of people leaving Facebook. At least for people I know, imessage isn't the behemoth it once was.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Inconveniencing people with iPhones is a categorical good.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i have been fighting this battle since switching around 5 years ago. iphone users (who i know) are incredibly stubborn. i am happy for (and jealous of) anyone who has a circle of friends willing to use anything other than what they already use.

the barrier for most, i think, is that even if they download a plethora of dumb, weirdly-specific apps for like coupons at the grocery store or whatever, it's to satisfy some personal need. conversely, dpwnloading a separate messaging app requiring a signup and username/handle/whatever just to satisfy someone ELSE'S specifications is a step too far.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
All the incompatible messengers really piss me off. Always hated having half a dozen accoutns just to keep in touch with people back in the day, at least then you could use Trillian to have everything in one place. Now everyone locked down their poo poo so tight, only the CIA can get in. Apparently google enabled RCS or whatever the gently caress it's called in their latest app but with their track recod I'm not counting on it taking off.

Thankfully most people here seem to use Whatsapp which sucks thanks to FB but at least you only really need one piece of spyware installed.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
On the Pixel 6 Pro I have to tell it to open Twitter links with Flamingo over and over, it never seems to "stick". Has anyone else experienced this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Incessant Excess posted:

On the Pixel 6 Pro I have to tell it to open Twitter links with Flamingo over and over, it never seems to "stick". Has anyone else experienced this?

Quoting myself from earlier on this page:

hooah posted:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
My associations have never reset after numerous app and security updates. Not negating your experience but it's definitely not the intended one IMO.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Weird to see that Twitter doesn't play nice with 120hz at all? I'm using Flamingo but I wouldn't be against just using the official app if it didn't stutter or anything.

Edit: Looking into it and it seems like an Android 12 issue because some folks are saying on 11 it wasn't a problem.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 27, 2022

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

withoutclass posted:

My associations have never reset after numerous app and security updates. Not negating your experience but it's definitely not the intended one IMO.

This is specifically 3rd-party applications (so not Twitter's app, for example) and only Android 12 or higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

hooah posted:

This is specifically 3rd-party applications (so not Twitter's app, for example) and only Android 12 or higher.

Yes right. I use Boost for Reddit for example and have never seen this issue. I have a Pixel 6 on the latest patch.