Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
that said, regarding the second part of your question, if you're not in a rush, it might be a good idea to wait. prices seem to be getting better, and the next generation of gpus might be out later this.

though who knows how this stuff looks in half a year. the sanctions against russia might have knock on effects too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I have an RTX 3070 on the way now :toot: Guess it's time to start contemplating upgrading from my Core i5-4590.

Is there a good reason to get a Ryzen 5 5600X over a Core i5-12600K now, or would it be worth the extra cash for the Intel? Another limitation I have is the motherboard must be mATX or mini-ITX.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
you would get significantly better performance with the 12600k even on a budget 12th gen board, if you're doing a fresh build there's virtually no reason to go with amd at the moment, most boards have a micro-atx variant so that wouldn't be a problem.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 27, 2022

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Okay. I don't know if this is quite right for this thread so feel free to shoo me elsewhere.

I am not particularly 'good' at computer poo poo. Upgrading is a nightmare to me. I installed an SSD and managed to lose the screws so it's just sort of hanging in there. figuring out how to install a GPU was similarly awful. A friend built my computer for me originally but he isn't in the area anymore.

I've been thinking about upgrading my computer CPU- I have an AMD Ryzen 5 1400. The specific issue at this moment is that elden ring is running terribly- i don't mean the frame drops people are talking about, i mean frequent second long hitches. I called a local computer store because I can't be hosed to put parts in myself and the fee would be worth the hassle- but I was told my bottlenecks probably aren't actually because of my CPU, but because while the game is on my SSD, my operating system is on a hard drive- and it would be more prudent to do a full re-install of that, first.

For reference:
My graphics card is a NVIDIA Titan X
My motherboard is a b350 Gaming Pro and i've been told i'd probably need to upgrade that/basically rebuild the computer to actually upgrade my CPU
I have 16 gigs of ram.

So, questions:

Does that sound right? Is it really not that my CPU is bottlenecking me here? I'm leaning towards 'probably' since the guy didn't try to sell me on anything and they, you know, aren't making money off of telling me to go do this myself.

If I do have to upgrade my CPU, what the gently caress CPU is A: compatible, B: Good here. It's impossible to tell for me what's actually compatible or not with my CPU.

What's the easiest way to move windows from my hard drive to my SSD, ideally without deleting everything on it? my hard drive is 1tb and my SSD is only 500 gigs, so i'd prefer to just install the OS There instead of moving everything. as a sidenote, my windows install is mildly hosed so a fresh install would not hurt.

Nea fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 27, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nea posted:

Okay. I don't know if this is quite right for this thread so feel free to shoo me elsewhere.

I am not particularly 'good' at computer poo poo. Upgrading is a nightmare to me. I installed an SSD and managed to lose the screws so it's just sort of hanging in there. figuring out how to install a GPU was similarly awful. A friend built my computer for me originally but he isn't in the area anymore.

I've been thinking about upgrading my computer CPU- I have an AMD Ryzen 5 1400. The specific issue at this moment is that elden ring is running terribly- i don't mean the frame drops people are talking about, i mean frequent second long hitches. I called a local computer store because I can't be hosed to put parts in myself and the fee would be worth the hassle- but I was told my bottlenecks probably aren't actually because of my CPU, but because while the game is on my SSD, my operating system is on a hard drive- and it would be more prudent to do a full re-install of that, first.

For reference:
My graphics card is a NVIDIA Titan X
My motherboard is a b350 Gaming Pro and i've been told i'd probably need to upgrade that/basically rebuild the computer to actually upgrade my CPU
I have 16 gigs of ram.

So, questions:

Does that sound right? Is it really not that my CPU is bottlenecking me here? I'm leaning towards 'probably' since the guy didn't try to sell me on anything and they, you know, aren't making money off of telling me to go do this myself.

If I do have to upgrade my CPU, what the gently caress CPU is A: compatible, B: Good here. It's impossible to tell for me what's actually compatible or not with my CPU.

What's the easiest way to move windows from my hard drive to my SSD, ideally without deleting everything on it? my hard drive is 1tb and my SSD is only 500 gigs, so i'd prefer to just install the OS There instead of moving everything. as a sidenote, my windows install is mildly hosed so a fresh install would not hurt.

What is the specific motherboard you have? In all likelihood you could throw a Ryzen 3600 on there and get a huge uplift for relatively little money. The main thing you may need to do is update your BIOS, hence the need to know exactly which motherboard you have.

While you definitely do want your boot drive as an SSD, I don't think that CPU is doing you any favors. I'm strongly biased against spinning metal at this point, and have gotten rid of all HDDs in my machines. If you can replace the HDD with an SSD that would be good, and if the new SSD is the same size or bigger than the existing HDD cloning it over it is pretty simple.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 27, 2022

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What is the specific motherboard you have? In all likelihood you could throw a Ryzen 3600 on there and get a huge uplift for relatively little money. The main thing you may need to do is update your BIOS, hence the need to know exactly which motherboard you have.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b350m-gaming-pro this one should be it.

And while we're at it, is it true that not having my OS on my SSD would be hampering my gaming? I don't mind the minute boots (though at some point i do need to do a clean install), and i did notice massive improvements between games installed on my SSD and the same game installed on an HDD, so i'm not sure.

Nea fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 27, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nea posted:

While full second-long hitches happening with regularity seems worse than a lot of other people are getting, this IS the same issue. A better CPU could possibly help here since it would theoretically be better at shader compilation, but you're not going to get rid of it entirely. The only way that will happen is if From Software patches the game to fix the issue at its core.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nea posted:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b350m-gaming-pro this one should be it.

And while we're at it, is it true that not having my OS on my SSD would be hampering my gaming? I don't mind the minute boots (though at some point i do need to do a clean install), and i did notice massive improvements between games installed on my SSD and the same game installed on an HDD, so i'm not sure.

According to their compatibility list you could run a 3600 using the newest BIOS, so that appears possible.

Running the OS from an HDD could cause hiccups, particularly if the drive is heavily fragmented or flat out going bad. HDDs are slow at the best of times, and if they are failing they can cause painful slowness. If your system is using the page file while playing then on an HDD it is much more likely to cause hitches because HDDs are just so goddamn slow. Modern games are often memory-hungry, so you might be hitting swap on the HDD and then having a performance drop.

Like I said, though, I am almost pathologically biased against HDDs now so hesitate to say just being on an HDD is a sufficient explanation for what you're seeing.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

If I can do that then i might update the BIOS ( which i should be able to do before I swap out my CPU?), order a CPU and a 1 TB SSD, and take it to a computer store and ask them to pretty please figure out the installation once I have money next month. As best I can tell my hard drive isn't fragmented at all, at least according to windows tools. I have it set to automatically defrag every 2 weeks. Does that all sound right as next steps? Should hopefully cost less than 500 between the CPU, SSD, and the fees for the store.

Nea fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 28, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm upgrading my cpu for the first time in like 10 years, so i need to buy a new motherboard - going for an lga1700 socket and figured i'd stick with an asus brand since it's been pretty good for my current motherboard but how the gently caress do you shop for new motherboards? even narrowing it down to that and ddr4 there's like four different asus 'brands' each with multiple model numbers that seem to have identical features but hundreds of dollars of price difference.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nea posted:

If I can do that then i might update the BIOS ( which i should be able to do before I swap out my CPU?), order a CPU and a 1 TB SSD, and take it to a computer store and ask them to pretty please figure out the installation once I have money next month. As best I can tell my hard drive isn't fragmented at all, at least according to windows tools. I have it set to automatically defrag every 2 weeks. Does that all sound right as next steps? Should hopefully cost less than 500 between the CPU, SSD, and the fees for the store.

In your situation, I think I would suggest getting the SSD and have them clone your boot drive to it, then see how things work. You could still consider the CPU upgrade after that.

Otherwise you are getting close to the line of having to evaluate the cost/benefit ratio of upgrading versus replacing. The 3600 is a good processor, but is a generation back and your motherboard won't run anything newer. The AM4 socket is nearing end of life, with maybe one more significant processor supposed to be released for it, and your motherboard couldn't run it.

The SSD can be moved to your next machine, whereas the CPU is something of a dead-end. If you intend to keep your current machine for a couple more years then the CPU upgrade could still make sense, but needs to be weighed against the value of just jumping to a new motherboard and processor.

I'm assuming you have a decent PSU if you're running a Titan, and the machine runs well aside from seeing hitches in games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

i'm upgrading my cpu for the first time in like 10 years, so i need to buy a new motherboard - going for an lga1700 socket and figured i'd stick with an asus brand since it's been pretty good for my current motherboard but how the gently caress do you shop for new motherboards? even narrowing it down to that and ddr4 there's like four different asus 'brands' each with multiple model numbers that seem to have identical features but hundreds of dollars of price difference.

A lot of the differences will come down to poo poo that doesn't matter to 99% of users傭eefier VRMs and arcane memory topology poo poo that extreme overclockers like, random features like an on-board power and reset button, troubleshooting features that can be nice but most people will never use like post codes, etc.

But the basic rule of thumb is that if you're getting a non-K CPU, get a B660 motherboard. If you're getting a K CPU, get a Z690 motherboard. (K CPUs can overclock, non-K ones can't.) Then look at the I/O of each motherboard and pick whichever one seems nicest for your use case. There can be some secondary concern for PCIe and m.2 slot arrangements, but that's about all you need to worry about. Don't overspend on other random features unless you're sure you need them. edit: some b660 boards support PCIe 5.0 while others only support 4.0, which is another thing that may be worth considering for future-proofing purposes (there are no 5.0 devices on the market yet). This seems unlikely to actually matter in the lifespan of the board though since x16 4.0 bandwidth will likely be more than enough for the next couple generations of GPU, but if you plan on holding onto the board for another decade then maaaybe 5.0 will matter more (but at that point you're probably running into CPU bottlenecks more than bandwidth bottlenecks).

I think you should look at MSI's boards too. They are pretty competitive when it comes to pricing and features right now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 28, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm checking the pricing at Newegg, and AMD pricing is coming down a little bit. The 6700XT was around $950 - $1000 for a while, but the Gigabyte Gaming OC model is $875 on newegg right now after discount, or $850 for the XFX Speedster SWFT309. These are still not worth it next to the $925 EVGA 3070 FTW3 + 850W PSU I posted earlier though, if you're building a new system and need a new PSU. I think 3070 owners are gonna be happy to have tensor cores that can do DLSS over the coming years.

From my email just now:

There's also an ASRock model now for $800. Still not a good price, but these cards are getting cheaper, little by little. Here's hoping the trend continues.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 28, 2022

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In your situation, I think I would suggest getting the SSD and have them clone your boot drive to it, then see how things work. You could still consider the CPU upgrade after that.

Otherwise you are getting close to the line of having to evaluate the cost/benefit ratio of upgrading versus replacing. The 3600 is a good processor, but is a generation back and your motherboard won't run anything newer. The AM4 socket is nearing end of life, with maybe one more significant processor supposed to be released for it, and your motherboard couldn't run it.

The SSD can be moved to your next machine, whereas the CPU is something of a dead-end. If you intend to keep your current machine for a couple more years then the CPU upgrade could still make sense, but needs to be weighed against the value of just jumping to a new motherboard and processor.

I'm assuming you have a decent PSU if you're running a Titan, and the machine runs well aside from seeing hitches in games.

Yeah. Hm. Maybe it would be worth it to get a new CPU, motherboard and just have them essentially rebuild the machine. i've got a perfectly good case/graphics card/ram so it's not like it'll be nearly as expensive as when my friend first built this for me.

Re, the PSU: it's a SeaSonic 620w setup. I /think/ that's sufficient for what I have and more but I'm not 100% sure how the power draw works in watts. It is just wattage of every component added together, right? So until that number hits 620w that's good? I know electrical measurements are weird so i'm not confident in that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nea posted:

Yeah. Hm. Maybe it would be worth it to get a new CPU, motherboard and just have them essentially rebuild the machine. i've got a perfectly good case/graphics card/ram so it's not like it'll be nearly as expensive as when my friend first built this for me.

Re, the PSU: it's a SeaSonic 620w setup. I /think/ that's sufficient for what I have and more but I'm not 100% sure how the power draw works in watts. It is just wattage of every component added together, right? So until that number hits 620w that's good? I know electrical measurements are weird so i'm not confident in that.

It's probably okay, although that also depends on age and wear and tear and such. PSUs are one of those items where it's generally best to err on the side of safety, and my personal preference is to overshoot the wattage I figure I need by around 100w. The Titan X doesn't appear to be anywhere as power-hungry as newer GPUs, so 620w should still leave you headroom. If the PSU is more than like 5 years old, though, you should probably consider replacing it.

Also, I have a personal quirk of liking to have at least one old PSU knocking around in case I need it for troubleshooting purposes or to use as a stopgap in case my current PSU fails. Replacing a PSU while it is still working means you have a spare around just in case.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nea posted:

More or less. You also want to have spare wattage since 620 doesn't mean it's actually consistently able to deliver 620. You can use this to get an estimate of the max wattage your computer can draw: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator You want your PSU to be over that. I've had issues with this before so I like a lot of overhead, but I'd say like 100 watts over the maximum is probably good. Also if you plug your phone or a tablet or something into the computer, that's drawing power too so it's another reason to have extra.

E: I agree with the above too, if it's old I'd strongly consider replacing it. The PSU is one part that can gently caress up the entire system and being risky/cheap with it is a bad idea.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Got my rebate from Seasonic (in the form of a prepaid card; I'm not sure if I can transfer the money to my bank account). I applied almost three months ago, in case anyone was wondering how long these take to get processed. Feels like an eternity ago.

Enermax was a month quicker.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rinkles posted:

Got my rebate from Seasonic (in the form of a prepaid card; I'm not sure if I can transfer the money to my bank account). I applied almost three months ago, in case anyone was wondering how long these take to get processed. Feels like an eternity ago.

Prepaid cards suck, so if I get one I usually add it to my amazon account and then buy myself a gift card with it for the exact value. If you use amazon it prevents the whole prepaid maintenance fees scam from creeping in after 6 months or a year or whatever and just sits in your amazon account gift card balance. Some banks support draining them to a bank account but mine never has.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rexxed posted:

Prepaid cards suck, so if I get one I usually add it to my amazon account and then buy myself a gift card with it for the exact value. If you use amazon it prevents the whole prepaid maintenance fees scam from creeping in after 6 months or a year or whatever and just sits in your amazon account gift card balance. Some banks support draining them to a bank account but mine never has.

I'll probably just spend it on food. Enermax sent me money over Venmo, which ended up being much more convenient.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Ugh, should not have started that nvme device self test, taking forever

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Is a 10700k strictly better than a 3900x for gaming, or do they trade off depending on the title?

Also, which of these would likely be easier to sell?

i7-10700k + HP OEM Z490 motherboard
or
Ryzen 3900x + Asus X470

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well after some issues with getting Windows activated (was using the Windows 10 key, instead of my original Windows 7 Pro key) got it all working. Pretty good going from 4 to 12 cores! Thanks for all the help, thread.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I just finished building a new PC and Time Spy used to be my go to for stress testing the new build to make sure it doesn't fall over but it looks like that's not free anymore. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I just finished building a new PC and Time Spy used to be my go to for stress testing the new build to make sure it doesn't fall over but it looks like that's not free anymore. Does anyone have a suggestion?

For GPUs, I've seen the Unigine Heaven Benchmark brought up a lot of times, especially for testing undervolts/overclocks. The nice thing is it loops without interruption between runs.

I haven't bothered with it, but Cinebench seems to be the CPU benchmark everyone uses.

And, just fyi, 3DMark is only $5 when it's on sale, which appears to be every couple of weeks.

If you want a game that pushes both GPU and CPU, Cyberpunk is among the most demanding I've played. In the densely populated parts of the city the bottleneck will switch between GPU and CPU all the time, on my PC. Background tasks with moderate to high CPU usage cost me a lot of frames (like 20fps and up). It's the one game that can give my 11600K a real work out.

e:And being CPU bound sucks. Based on my experience, being GPU limited just means you're not gonna get more frames. When it's the CPU that's at its limit, you're more likely to get hitches and uneven frame times.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 1, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Boat Stuck posted:

Is a 10700k strictly better than a 3900x for gaming, or do they trade off depending on the title?

Also, which of these would likely be easier to sell?

i7-10700k + HP OEM Z490 motherboard
or
Ryzen 3900x + Asus X470

The 10700k is better in every benchmark I'm seeing. As for which system would be easier to sell, I'd assume the ryzen one just because it doesn't have a lovely OEM motherboard (HP's motherboards suuuuck).

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I知 starting to second guess myself now. Is a 12700k worth the extra $100 or so over the 12600k for music and video production? I do intend to do a mild OC to get the most out of it. And I値l be going with one that includes IGP as I think I can set my production software to rely on it instead of my leftover GTX970.

As far as gaming goes I値l be playing R6: Siege and maybe some new Halo, but probably only at 1080, 1440 tops.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
your 970 will be much much more of a limiting factor for halo. what you are asking is "do i need two more performance cores" and you've kind of answered your question; yes if it's a productivity machine no not really for gaming.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

CoolCab posted:

your 970 will be much much more of a limiting factor for halo. what you are asking is "do i need two more performance cores" and you've kind of answered your question; yes if it's a productivity machine no not really for gaming.

Copy that. Much obliged. My Amazon employee discount actually nets me $50 off, so I知 feeling pretty stoked about it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A lot of the differences will come down to poo poo that doesn't matter to 99% of users傭eefier VRMs and arcane memory topology poo poo that extreme overclockers like, random features like an on-board power and reset button, troubleshooting features that can be nice but most people will never use like post codes, etc.

I think you should look at MSI's boards too. They are pretty competitive when it comes to pricing and features right now.
Thanks, this helped a lot. I managed to get all the parts planned and figured out I could reuse my existing case and psu which is sweet - unexpectedly it turns out the GPU wasn't the hardest part of it to source, but the be quiet slim fan I picked has a 3 month delivery delay so I gotta measure my space and see what else I can fit in. I can almost taste the Elden Ring.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DammitJanet posted:

I’m starting to second guess myself now. Is a 12700k worth the extra $100 or so over the 12600k for music and video production? I do intend to do a mild OC to get the most out of it. And I’ll be going with one that includes IGP as I think I can set my production software to rely on it instead of my leftover GTX970.

As far as gaming goes I’ll be playing R6: Siege and maybe some new Halo, but probably only at 1080, 1440 tops.

Absolutely, if you compare total system cost and production application performance that $100 is the best spend you'll find.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

How automated can you make overclocking nowadays? I don't have a ton of time to tinker, and I'm trying to figure out if I should go for the 12400 or 12600K for gaming at 1440p on a 3070/3070 Ti.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
With my new 12600k I was able to get the Intel Extreme Performance utility or whatever it's called to do an automatic overclock which bumped it up to 4.7Ghz

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

edit: was definitely the wrong place

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thermalright released their LGA1700-compatible version of the Peerless Assassin 120, a decent-seeming dual-tower cooler using 120mm fans that goes for under $40 (after coupon): https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...568&sr=8-2&th=1

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thermalright released their LGA1700-compatible version of the Peerless Assassin 120, a decent-seeming dual-tower cooler using 120mm fans that goes for under $40 (after coupon): https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...568&sr=8-2&th=1

This seems like a no brainer versus an Arctic Freezer 34 or Hyper 212, which are in the same price range w/ the coupon, if you can fit it. I'm curious how it stacks up against the Fuma 2. On paper they're very similar.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Next build I知 thinking of going with an AIO just because, my case (phanteks enthoo evolv) can take up to a 280mm rad. Thinking the corsair h115i, any other ones I should look at? I do also want rgb :haw:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rinkles posted:

Lol I'm doing babby's first mail-in rebate for this motherboard I've ordered, and am just dumbfounded that this whole thing makes sense as a marketing ploy or is even legal. "You must paper print out your invoice and proof that you did not receive the item within ten days, as well as the label from the item, and drop your mail at a physical post office to ensure it gets a postmark to prove that you mailed it in time or we will reject your rebate", etc.

Literally the only purpose seems to be to get the item to the bottom of the sort list in pcpartspicker and similar sites.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I cannot believe we haven't figured out a better plug for the front panel stuff yet. What a pain in the rear end.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Frankly the fact that it's now a single plug and not 6 different tiny plugs is a massive improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

njsykora posted:

Frankly the fact that it's now a single plug and not 6 different tiny plugs is a massive improvement.

I posted because I just spent 20 minutes loving around with tiny plugs. Glad to hear there are cases out there that don't do that, at least.