Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Fart Car '97 posted:

This is my first wipe and I really wish people had emphasized more how important it is to just bum rush quests and finish raids until you get to 15 /the flea because the game's completely different once you get access to it

That's because a lot of the people who've played multiple wipes enjoy that part of the game where everything is limited and hard to get. As the wipe goes on more and more people will start clamoring for a new one so they can return to the struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

AlternateAccount posted:

Is cheating much of a thing in this game? I know I am bad, but last night I was sitting perfectly still in a bush and watching this guy move perpendicular to me about 50m away along a wall. Suddenly he stops, snaps right to me and kills me in about 1.5 seconds with a headshot.

Feels spurious.

If it was a player that is incredibly sus. If it was an AI that's normal.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Charles 1998 posted:

If it was a player that is incredibly sus. If it was an AI that's normal.

I had the report /!\ flag next to their name, so I assume player?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Is cheating much of a thing in this game? I know I am bad, but last night I was sitting perfectly still in a bush and watching this guy move perpendicular to me about 50m away along a wall. Suddenly he stops, snaps right to me and kills me in about 1.5 seconds with a headshot.

Feels spurious.

edit: but my friend did manage to win a close quarters gun fight in the gas station on customs. Him with a garbage SKS he looted off a scav five minutes before vs. some try hard funny guy with FOUR lasers on this full auto M4. Just hyper aggression and trigger mashing.

Lot's of people complain about cheaters in Tarkov, but it doesn't seem more common than any other FPS I've played. I think some sort of killcam/playback feature would help with the hackusations.

I know I have done lots of bullshit that will have gotten me reported. Like a few days ago I killed a guy in the Interchange power station. From his POV some guy ran full sprint out of nowhere and pre-fired him while he was crouched in the corner of the locker room.

Truth is I heard a jacket rustle and there was only one possible spot left once I got to his doorway.

Edit: TBF your bush thing does sound weird if you 100% weren't in his peripheral and you weren't wearing bright colours like a Pilgrim.

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 23, 2022

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Nah I was PMC and dressed appropriately.

We also had one guy headshot three of us within the span of about 3 seconds while we were moving, so maybe it's just a thing. Seems to be proportional with the value of the kit I am wearing, so I may just schlub it up with a Sam's Choice shotgun and thrift store vest for a while.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
e: thanks internet for double post

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 23, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Why bother having helmets then?
be a bit less likely to die?

I'm not saying you would fall over instantly from getting tapped in the head with a pistol round, I'm saying the blunt force damage should be more than 1. Ought to be at least kind of a threat to HP and probably have worse debuffs associated with it.

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Why? Conservation of momentum says they shouldn’t feel much more than the shooter did (less by the numbers, but obviously the dome is a bit leveraged). Why would that do more than it does now?
That's not really how it works. In real life, skull fractures and brain injuries on soldiers wearing bulletproof helmets are pretty common. And there is significant energy transfer from just pistol rounds hitting helmets.

There's a different medical paper I can't read because it's paywalled and also in german, but it contains the following fun abstract:

quote:

With respect to wound ballistics, the situation is different if the person wearing a military helmet suffers head injuries from a bullet. The mechanisms of injury were investigated in four experimental series and supplemented by a case history. The study showed surprising results: in the majority of cases, the helmet does not protect the wearer, but instead intensifies the damage caused by the bullet. The reasons for this phenomena are changes in the stability of the projectile and deformation of or damage to the bullet. All of these mechanisms result in the bullet striking the tissue with higher energy. In this investigation, Kevlar helmets were also tested, which are not penetrated by 9 X 19 mm parabellum bullets. Even so, however, severe injuries of the skull and brain can occur because the projectile causes intensified impressions on the skull under the helmet and, in addition, an acceleration of the head.
You're not a-ok just because a round didn't penetrate your helmet, it's a lot more complicated than that.

More significantly(because it doesn't require anything complicated and is just a misrepresentation of equipment), stuff like the maska/altyn can take lots of rifle rounds in tarkov just fine, requiring you to go for the pricy stuff to penetrate it, but the real thing is not at all rated to take rifle rounds and they'll just go right through it... which makes sense, because they're rated GOST 2-which means they're only considered proper protection against like, soviet era pistol cartridges.

And realism aside, just for gameplay reasons if another player manages to land multiple shots square on your head, you shouldn't be basically fine. They've outplayed you to a pretty substantial degree if they manage to unload many rounds from a full auto pistol into your head at close range.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 23, 2022

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Cheating is 100% real and even more common than in other shooters. Not only are the anti-cheat measures laughable but there is a real money market to feed, so it is a legit job for some people.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Cheating is 100% real and even more common than in other shooters. Not only are the anti-cheat measures laughable but there is a real money market to feed, so it is a legit job for some people.

I’ve played 100s of hours across multiple wipes and I can count my cheater experiences on one hand.

Cheaters are very real but the situation is overblown to laughable proportions.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Re: the sitting in a bush situation. Did you shift your view around in any major way? If you’re kitted in any major gear you’ll be heavy enough to scrape doing basically any slight adjustments that aren’t just moving your head, which someone with a good headset/trained ears can pick out real easily.

E: by which I mean their actual ears, not some in-game skill.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
No, I’d been pretty still for a good ten seconds I’d been watching him, only slight turning to keep him lined up. I felt extremely confident that he hadn’t detected me and I could watch him a bit, but if he turned I would be able to kill him quick.
Nope. Turn, headshot before I got a shot off. Wish I had saved his name.

I’ve seen some high level hyper-sweaty play on YouTube and I gotta say, the gap between people who are marginally competent and top tier is insane. Kinda wish they’d add at least a small degree of map randomization.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Nah I was PMC and dressed appropriately.

We also had one guy headshot three of us within the span of about 3 seconds while we were moving, so maybe it's just a thing. Seems to be proportional with the value of the kit I am wearing, so I may just schlub it up with a Sam's Choice shotgun and thrift store vest for a while.
Cheaters absolutely do target based on kit value. Your worn inventory has to be sent to other players for rendering purposes, but the game lazily sends your rig/pack/suitcase contents too, and cheat suites will turn that into a value in roubles that gets displayed from arbitrarily far away. If you loot something non-flea from a container like a Hexgrid, you're liable to get a cheater on your tail and they will ignore player and scav alike to take it from you.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

TJChap2840 posted:

I’ve played 100s of hours across multiple wipes and I can count my cheater experiences on one hand.

Sometimes they kill you, but it’s more profitable to speed run over to LEDX’s or whatever high value loot on the map. It is usually a business decision.

That said there are a multitude of different cheats. Some people just have texture packs, because again the anti-cheat is laughable, and know where you are ahead of time because they can see through walls.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

TJChap2840 posted:

The people who are treating it as a full time job to sell rare items for real world money are not the same cheaters who will wipe a server or no-scope people across the map.

They are the type of player that will use the cheats to avoid all other players to get the valuables for selling. It's just a job, not a game.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

How would exchanging in-game items for dollars work? I know people have been doing it for ages in like WoW and stuff, but I reckon they've got it down to a science by now

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Pharmaskittle posted:

How would exchanging in-game items for dollars work? I know people have been doing it for ages in like WoW and stuff, but I reckon they've got it down to a science by now

I think you pay and someone invites you to a raid and drops it all off.

Quick Google search of eft items found a few auction sites selling things like "5mil rubles + SICC case" for $27 with "fast 20 min delivery"

Not a bad return if it's a full time job, you could probably made back the cost of a new account after a few days of cheating.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

No, I’d been pretty still for a good ten seconds I’d been watching him, only slight turning to keep him lined up. I felt extremely confident that he hadn’t detected me and I could watch him a bit, but if he turned I would be able to kill him quick.
Nope. Turn, headshot before I got a shot off. Wish I had saved his name.

Any chance you were wearing any of the sunglasses or goggles? IIRC all the glasses and goggles aside from the condors and the welding goggles still reflect light in a weird way where they light up very obviously at night.

Its a shame because it means my fav loadout is no good at night but thats tarkov. Cant have it all unfortunately.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

TheTofuShop posted:

Any chance you were wearing any of the sunglasses or goggles? IIRC all the glasses and goggles aside from the condors and the welding goggles still reflect light in a weird way where they light up very obviously at night.

Its a shame because it means my fav loadout is no good at night but thats tarkov. Cant have it all unfortunately.

Nope, but that's funny.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
https://imgur.com/gallery/XtaT6yP

Above is a summary of the glasses bug/feature

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/XtaT6yP

Above is a summary of the glasses bug/feature

I've seen that same effect on parts of my buddies gun while we were in the dark parts of interchange the other day. I suspect it's a bad LOD texture as it only happened at certain ranges and from certain angles.

There used to be a bug on one of the sniper rifles where the bipod would be bright white at specific distances but look normal when up close or far away.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh cool I didn’t know they implemented heat rays in Tarkov.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
From the hit Broadway musical, Tarkov: Turn Off The Dark

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Here Comes The Sun (to take your poo poo)

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
The gently caress? I got the reputation but nothing's changed! Oh...

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bussamove posted:

Oh cool I didn’t know they implemented heat rays in Tarkov.
He's still two short of the MPX, but more than 2x2U and you're blinding yourself too because the lighting engine is too simple.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

He's still two short of the MPX, but more than 2x2U and you're blinding yourself too because the lighting engine is too simple.

It’s not about being able to see.

It’s about sending a message.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
When the next wipe? I am really bad and feel like everyone is way ahead of me. Need a reset plz.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Probably 3 to 4 months

E - traders do mean more this wipe due to ammo and armor but after lvl 20 ammo crafts it pretty much is a level playing field.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Should not spend any money on this game or suggest others do while the Russians are attacking Ukraine and killing Ukrainians in an imperialist war of aggression

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If BSG found it hard to buy servers before... :catstare:

e: I don't think buying a Tarkov license is going to get anyone put on the entity list, but I will say that I haven't had an appetite for FPS / war games in the last week. Can't even re-play Mass Effect 3 without feeling gross.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 27, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Should not spend any money on this game or suggest others do while the Russians are attacking Ukraine and killing Ukrainians in an imperialist war of aggression

Is uh, Nikita involved in the Russian government?

Alternatively, do you refuse to buy anything from the US while we continue to bomb other countries etc etc

If you mean legally instead of ethically, I don't think vidoe game purchases are going to be an issue

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 27, 2022

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lmao the US doesn't make anything

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

lmao the US doesn't make anything

We make bombs and poo poo, I lived for a while within walking distance of a Raytheon and a Northrup grummun complex

Half of Huntsville is named after a nazi and the other half is just 'national defense' companies

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

In solidarity with the people of North Korea, I will NOT be playing any gacha titty games on my phone until the Republic of Korea ends their aggression towards their brothers to the north 🧵 (1/32)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

hakimashou posted:

Or, buy whatever you want/can and enjoy yourself before the nukes hit.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
In-game roubles are tied in some way to real-life exchange rates, right? Peacekeeper's USD are about to get a lot more pricey.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dr. Clockwork posted:

In-game roubles are tied in some way to real-life exchange rates, right? Peacekeeper's USD are about to get a lot more pricey.
I haven't heard of that one, but in-game buttcoin was supposed to reflect the price of IRL buttcoin

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Shumagorath posted:

I haven't heard of that one, but in-game buttcoin was supposed to reflect the price of IRL buttcoin

They canned that when bitcoin soared to like 800,000 roubles a wipe or two ago, and while it fluctuates I don't think it's a live 1 for 1 like it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

hakimashou posted:

Nice, just only have to wait a few more hours for Russia to declare a cease fire.