Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is scarlet rot the new toxic, or ultra toxic or something else?
I am asking because I died before I found out.
To the poison knight in the poison pool at the end of the poison cave guarded by the poison shooting shamans with their poison flower swamp.

I am in Stillwater cave at the south of lake liurnia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I'm exclusively using the skeletal infantry spirit ash. Two spearfuckers that ressurect? Hard to beat.

Anyone find any of the other ones better?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

lite_sleepr posted:

Has anyone had any real luck with magic? Are there some bitchin' rad spells to look forward to? Would an STR/INT build work?

What is arcane, and does it affect any spells or just item discovery?

Honestly your bread and butter for the entire game is the starting pebble spell for Astrologian. It has the best FP/Damage efficiency of any spell by a ridiculous amount and is short enough in cast time to use against aggressive enemies.

Other than that there are very, very few spells worth it.

Rock Toss is solid, boosted by an early game OP staff and does physical and poise damage. It also absolutely wrecks human NPCs who dodge because they dodge the cast then it tracks and slams into them. Easily the second best spell.

Quick Glimmer is cheaper and faster than Pebble but has worse damage efficiency. Decent enough and can be an FP save against some enemies based on break points/usable against the fastest enemies

Carian Slicer is the sole spell with better damage efficiency and speed than Pebble but requires melee range. Really good at melting bosses if they have any downtime where you can get up in their face and slash away.

Glimmer Sword is the starting spell for the convict and slower but more damaging than pebble with a bit of a delay in cast time. Worth using against slower enemies

Arc Wave and Carian Greatsword have minor utility for their AoE if you're fighting a big group.

Literally everything else I've found is minor utility or absolute poo poo damage and worse than those spells in every way. Like it is insane you have these big long cast time spells that do 20% more damage than Pebble for like a 150% increase in cost and cast time. It feels like no one balanced them right. Also every staff is inferior to an unupgradable one you can get really easily until you get to +10 or above, and that staff boosts gravity spells and helps make Rock Toss good.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 27, 2022

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Stormveil Castle is goddamn huge

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Frankston posted:

Misbegotten warrior and crucible knight is everything I loathe in a boss fight. Two bosses, hyper aggressive, lovely arena with a million things to get stuck on. gently caress this.

Yeah, I just beat it myself but that’s the first fight where it felt like I needed to come back when I could win the damage race instead of learning the patterns. Misbegotten warrior wasn’t too hard to rush down before his friend joins in, but crucible knight just doesn’t seem to have any reliable openings.

I think someone else posted that you can parry a lot of his attacks, so maybe that’s the trick, but it was really miserable with a two handed weapon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I got to say the halbert is extremely powerful

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bardeh posted:

Stormveil Castle is goddamn huge

There's one bit I still haven't explored because I can't deal with a big spear knight and sword & shield knight at once and they're too fast for me to escape up the ladder lol
Dunno if there's anything major up there.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Wondering if someone can help me out by letting me know if I'm wasting my time (Stormveil castle spoilers)

so there's a section you can get to via some platforming, beginning near the jar enemies. You eventually come to a platform looking off into the distance at some buildings and stuff on what seems to be an isolated island. There's a corpse sitting cross legged looking that way, and a developer message saying something like 'what you see is closer than you think'.

Now having played all these bloody games over the years, my brain immediately went to using a gesture to teleport over there. I've tried most of the ones I have, but no luck. Dozing cross legged seems to be the closest posture to the corpse, but no dice. As that one is also obtained here, I thought i was onto something.

Anyone know if I'm barking up the wrong tree here? The developer note could be referring to the path leading down the wall, but it's not like super hard to find or anything special, so I'm confused why this specific place needed the message.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
dunno why i’m bothering to drive myself crazy trying to find stormveil depths when there’s a whole world out there. i’ll come back

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I managed to get out of Siofra river without even finding any bosses and into Caelid.

At least I think there should be bosses?

Can you do something with the huge jar guy in front of a castle in Caelid? Or enter somehow?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Captain Stalin posted:

What level are you meant to get the moonlight greatsword equivalent? I stuck into the lake area without dealing with Godrick and am making my way to where you get the quest.

I'm just curious if this is a level 80 thing that I should just do when I get to it, or is it something I could pull off around 40.

From looking it up it definitely isn’t an early game weapon. There is a pretty involved quest that requires you to progress through the main story and the required stats are pretty high.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Willfrey posted:

I'm exclusively using the skeletal infantry spirit ash. Two spearfuckers that ressurect? Hard to beat.

Anyone find any of the other ones better?

There’s a summon that is two of the marionette double bow dudes and it absolutely slaps.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is there a way to turn on invasions without co-oping? I kinda miss player invasions when randomly exploring

Orv
May 4, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I managed to get out of Siofra river without even finding any bosses and into Caelid.

At least I think there should be bosses?

Can you do something with the huge jar guy in front of a castle in Caelid? Or enter somehow?

In Siofra you light the eight monuments in the area in order to fight the boss which is up the stairs to the right when you get to the main area.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Is there a way to turn on invasions without co-oping? I kinda miss player invasions when randomly exploring

There is an item that invites random invasions to your world but as my brain is currently mush I cannot tell you more than that.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

No Wave posted:

It looks like at least one boss disappears after you take the lift of dectus (maybe other triggers too?). There's a boss in redmane castle that just gets despawned (it looked like a real bastard of a boss too so I guess I shouldn't complain) and you aren't able to do it anymore. Just a warning for people who want to do absolutely everything.
Did some searching and a reddit post says the fight isn't missable:

(Ranni's questline and a separate great rune boss)

Normally you are forced to fight the duo bosses to get to Radahn in Redmane Castle, but if you do these triggers:
- Find both halves of the Dectus Medallion
- Take the Lift of Dectus to the Atlas Peak
- Light the Grace nearby

the duo despawns and the Festival begins, which allows you to fight Radahn

edit: another trigger? because it just happened to me
- advancing far enough in Ranni's questline where Sellen tells you about Radahn's link to the stars
- visiting Redmane Castle at night?
- taking the waygate outside Redmane takes you inside Redmane and you can get right to the Festival npc

the reddit post says
"After you kill Radahn if you go back and talk to the NPC who hosted the Festival and then leave, the duo boss will return and you can fight them normally."

so fret not tarnished

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 27, 2022

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
pro tip: you can also just roll or jump into hidden walls, they're like barrels/junk.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My favourite thing is doing a jump and everything in room just disintegrates.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Orv posted:

In Siofra you light the eight monuments in the area in order to fight the boss which is up the stairs to the right when you get to the main area.

Oh, okay, I must've missed some then.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Oh, okay, I must've missed some then.

You’ll get a message once you have them all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Frankston posted:

Misbegotten warrior and crucible knight is everything I loathe in a boss fight. Two bosses, hyper aggressive, lovely arena with a million things to get stuck on. gently caress this.

This is specifically where I gave up with my mage. :negative:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

On my mage I could not beat Misbegotten solo, but then I summoned Miyamoto Musashi and not surprisingly we made short work of him. I think I used infused Estoc in that fight, but now I'm using a Crystal sword and Glintstone pebble (with Meteorite staff) as my main arsenal. Level 32 or something, still haven't found much in the sense of good spells besides the starting ones. Which is kinda boring.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 27, 2022

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I started as bandit but I've been dipping into sorcery and yall are making me think that's a mistake. I found the short sword that scales off Int and I already had a bunch of dex and strength so it seemed like a good fit. Is it not worth investing heavily in? I have a staff that needs 22 Int to use I've been working toward. Is 22 high?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm only like level 34 but I don't think dipping into sorceries is gonna hurt you because it does give you some nice utility. I've been playing a melee focused Prisoner, but magic weapon + glintstone arc are really nice to have.

Also the Night Cavalry flail looks rad as hell when it's glowing blue.

Lakbay posted:

Yeah. You have to kill that jerk in Roundtable Hold.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 27, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So the one weapon I've seen that looks like it could pop that pot out of the ground is a club that requires 22 strength. Have I just missed a dex based striking weapon somewhere?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just wish there were ... more spells, I think? I've been all over but haven't found much sorceries. I'd love some more options to try out, but the pebble is just the best there is. Or another trainer besides the starting area one. Maybe I should start moving towards Liurnia instead of outskirts of Caelid.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I dunno, I did a charged R2 attack with a greatsword and it popped em out

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I discovered something really funny about the mining dudes in the caves. if you walk up behind one that's digging away and collect the materials that he's poking at, he'll aggo on you. Whereas usually they completely ignore you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

So the one weapon I've seen that looks like it could pop that pot out of the ground is a club that requires 22 strength. Have I just missed a dex based striking weapon somewhere?

Unless I am gravely mistaken any weapon can dislodge him, just keep hitting him with smaller ones.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I did it with either an estoc or a katana. I don't think you need anything special - just a charged R2.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I just wish there were ... more spells, I think? I've been all over but haven't found much sorceries. I'd love some more options to try out, but the pebble is just the best there is. Or another trainer besides the starting area one. Maybe I should start moving towards Liurnia instead of outskirts of Caelid.

There are an absolute ton of spells compared to previous games, there are multiple vendor unlock items for all three spell types (pyro, glint, faith) and a ton of in-world found spells. Unfortunately it is somewhat loaded past the first couple zones.

Oh and dragon spells too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive been playing this game for like two days and its the most fun ive had in an open world game in a really long time

im on xbox and multiplayer was bugged until last night, i still havent invaded or summoned anyone but i think i liked things better before the world was covered in messages even if they did help me find a few hidden walls and avoid a few ambushes

game runs mostly quite well and looks great on my last gen system, only issue is when theres a ton of enemies on screen the framerate can get bad

im playing a warrior and enjoying it, though i have yet to find many new weapons or armor i can use that seem particularly interesting other than the kind of generic stuff at merchants. which is fine, i like the stuff i started with i was just expecting a bit more in the way of loot, gear, fashion etc given the size of the world

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm only like level 34 but I don't think dipping into sorceries is gonna hurt you because it does give you some nice utility. I've been playing a melee focused Prisoner, but magic weapon + glintstone arc are really nice to have.

Yeah. You have to kill that jerk in Roundtable Hold.

Thanks, I've had that for awhile, I really need to get back to reading item descriptions

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I just beat it myself but that’s the first fight where it felt like I needed to come back when I could win the damage race instead of learning the patterns. Misbegotten warrior wasn’t too hard to rush down before his friend joins in, but crucible knight just doesn’t seem to have any reliable openings.

I think someone else posted that you can parry a lot of his attacks, so maybe that’s the trick, but it was really miserable with a two handed weapon.

crucible knight actually has a hilariously exploitable opening: his shield slam will completely whiff if you strafe into his shield side sufficiently, which gives you more than enough time to get off a charged heavy attack. i dunno if the recovery frames on greatweapons are too long or not, but i was able to reliably get a full charged heavy off with the battle axe and dodge away from his retaliation after. you can usually whack his shield once if he's blocking in phase 1 and he'll almost always try to shield bash, so you can reliably push him into phase 2 easily via guard breaking

the second phase is a lot harder, but i never saw him use his tail swipe when two-handing, so that's a fairly reliable opening. his tail swipe also seems to whiff a lot if you hug his butt, even without dodge rolls, but he combo chains too much to use that to reliably punish

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there a way taking the east edge of liurnia north to get to the bellum church area? I can't figure out how to get to that section at all, as the bridge is broken right before. I tried going along the east coast to the NE corner but I ran into obstructions

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Well, I found this games indiana jones ball. It was absolutely not where I was was expecting it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Help. Playing on PC with PS5 controller. Everything was working fine but now I have a new bug. This didn't happen before: at any merchant, the cursor now goes to the bottom and stays there. If I press up, the cursor goes to the bottom row of items. I can only buy stuff from the bottom row now. D-pad down on my gamepad works fine during gameplay. I tried restarting and no dice.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

Well, I found this games indiana jones ball. It was absolutely not where I was was expecting it.

I initially thought it was illusory because you can dodge it in this one.

It is not.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Can I just say how badass it is that their is finally a flail in this game AND IT loving WORKS LIKE ONE?!

Also Cavalry combat owns: killed two boss like a Hussar and feel like a badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

🥳🥳🥳🥳