Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
After a few months if looking at gretsches, and a few weeks of trying to coordinate looking at this, it finally panned out. I originally wanted a 5622t electromatic but the new ones don't come with actual filtertrons and centerblock etc. So I started looking at the 5422tg (filtertrons and hollow body) but as a person who never liked gold hardware, the white falcon look is growing on me a lot. It's practically new, Korean, made in 2020. The guy got it as a gift from an ex, never really played it and came with the case for the cost of a new streamliner. The neck is fast and easy to play and action is perfect right away. So I guess I need to grease up a pompadour now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Verman posted:

After a few months if looking at gretsches, and a few weeks of trying to coordinate looking at this, it finally panned out. I originally wanted a 5622t electromatic but the new ones don't come with actual filtertrons and centerblock etc. So I started looking at the 5422tg (filtertrons and hollow body) but as a person who never liked gold hardware, the white falcon look is growing on me a lot. It's practically new, Korean, made in 2020. The guy got it as a gift from an ex, never really played it and came with the case for the cost of a new streamliner. The neck is fast and easy to play and action is perfect right away. So I guess I need to grease up a pompadour now.

That’s a loving beaut. *chef’s kiss*

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Verman posted:

I'm insanely jealous of both the guitar and the amp behind it. Beautiful!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The sovtek, I bought that brand new for ... $199 with free shipping.

Musicians Friend back in 1998. I was in 8th grade and had my mom order it from their printed catalog. No YouTube reviews. No idea what it sounded like. Total gamble. I wish I had a 50 but the window of opportunity on those had passed as they're boutique pricey now. I'll never sell it. It's too loud but it's got clean headroom for miles on the low input and it's incredibly loud and heavy on the high if you want it.

I recall having a few pots replaced and the bias adjusted around 2002 and the tech at the time offered to buy it from me on the spot. I heard him playing it through two 4x12 cabs from inside my car when I pulled up to the shop. I need to buy an attentuator but never got around to it.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Verman posted:

The sovtek, I bought that brand new for ... $199 with free shipping.

Musicians Friend back in 1998. I was in 8th grade and had my mom order it from their printed catalog. No YouTube reviews. No idea what it sounded like. Total gamble. I wish I had a 50 but the window of opportunity on those had passed as they're boutique pricey now. I'll never sell it. It's too loud but it's got clean headroom for miles on the low input and it's incredibly loud and heavy on the high if you want it.

I recall having a few pots replaced and the bias adjusted around 2002 and the tech at the time offered to buy it from me on the spot. I heard him playing it through two 4x12 cabs from inside my car when I pulled up to the shop. I need to buy an attentuator but never got around to it.

I love you and hate you at the same time. Well done.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Verman posted:

Cool rig, I would play the poo poo out of this. Great pieces individually and I bet the combination is unreal. Thanks for the story about the amp, too.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Bought more stuff

Harmony H82CR Strat copy

I already have one of these, but this is an earlier version with an even shittier bridge with fine tuners, no locking nut, and a Fender-shaped headstock.

Also bought a box of tubes from Goodwill's auction site

Only wanted the 12AT7s. NOS, all dated 1962, and the 12AT7s test good. The Orange Valve Tester I have doesn't do any of the others, though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

New gear, Browne amplification protein dual over drive. Left blue side is a blues breaker. Right green side is a nobles ODR1. You can pay each one independently or stacked. Sounds great, found it used for a good price on Michigan and had my step brother pick it up and send it out.

**Edit***

... And I just bought this today. Fender player telecaster in blonde. Basically new. I'll be selling my squier vintage modified 72 Telecaster custom thinline to fund it.

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 28, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Some new pedals for me. Couple delays, multi modulation pedal, an envelope filter, and an overdrive.
The memory boy and qtron both have send and return of their own, so I've been having lots of fun trying out different permutations. More patching! Oh, and I fortunately thought to get a new power supply for the pedals. Bit surprised to see the Qtron takes 24V.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

Bit surprised to see the Qtron takes 24V.

Lotta EHX stuff, especially before the past couple years when they started standardizing, have weird power (lotta 18/24v and weird barrels). OG Big Muffs still use the 1/8th inch TS.

How do you like the Qtron? I looked right past it and ended up grabbing a Meatball clone but I keep hearing that it's basically that and cheaper than anything else on the market in that ball park

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It's a great addition. I wanted another filter without having to dive into eurorack, and I got the version with its own send and return for maximum patching possibilities. Nesting fx within fx for fun. I don't have a regular guitar though. I've been using these for synths and I did try running a bass guitar through them for shits and giggles.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 8, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm working towards a pedalboard for ambient stuff. Recently got an Ebow, a Mel9, and a Zoia.

Both pedals are a lot of fun, but the setup of the Mel9 is kinda ridiculous for a guitar pedal, and really only works with my setup inside of an FX loop. I'm going to get a Boss MS-3, a Lekato looper, and a pedal board to stick it all to over the next few weeks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crossposting here from the small questions thread. I promise to post pics if I pull the trigger.

KillHour posted:

What do people think about the Intech Grid stuff?

https://intech.studio/

I'm specifically curious about build quality / support / if the company is going to continue to make new stuff or go under.

I'm probably not a typical user for this because I'm not actually going to make music with it or use it to control a DAW. I'm going to use it as custom inputs for my own personal software development, so I'm going to be hooking into it at a pretty low level. I like that everything is customizable with Lua and that it can both do MIDI and keyboard/mouse emulation.

I looked at more mainstream stuff like the Launch Control XL or the XONE:K2 but I like the idea of being able to swap stuff around and expand, since I'll probably use it for all kinds of different projects. I also looked at the really customizable stuff like the Specialwaves Mine but that is getting into :shepspends: territory for me.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have a new shiny guitar coming this week (hopefully)

I am excited about having a new shiny member of the family.

That is all.

SuperiorToaster
Jul 22, 2004
Inferior
Fun Shoe
my SOMA Cosmos just arrived recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB-mZH1T-L8

DrChu
May 14, 2002

First time getting a pedal that isn't some kind of drive in a while

Pendulum by Mantic

I got it to use as an envelope whatever pedal, but it does a few more things than that. Basically throw some other pedals into its loop and the intensity of your playing can cause them to blend in (or the opposite, the harder you play the more they get removed).

It can also do volume swell/Slow Gear type stuff, tremolo, a patterned tremolo, and some side chaining and MIDI stuff I'll probably never use. I only got to play with it a little bit so far and its going to take so tweaking to get things set up just right, all the ports being on one side makes things a little cramped, and unfortunately some functions are hidden behind that shift button so its not completely intuitive. Also the whole package smells like cigarettes which is always a surprise when that hits you in the face.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CatBlack posted:

The plants are actually just fake plastic leafy vines. Got them on amazon for like 12 bucks and clamped them to the back of my rack.

I have these literally everywhere in my home office. Everything green I touches dies so this was a safe bet, and really changes the vibe of a blank white room.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

some kinda jackal posted:

I have these literally everywhere in my home office. Everything green I touches dies so this was a safe bet, and really changes the vibe of a blank white room.

spray paint them cool colors.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I leave them be long enough they turn grey

from the thick layer of dust

grey is a cool colour right?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
yeeeeeeeeeaaaah boyyyyyyy

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CatBlack posted:

yeeeeeeeeeaaaah boyyyyyyy

Im a guitar amp dude whose always had an interest in synths, that looks loving awesome! Are you using an amplifier? Or going direct into a PA/DAW?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Kvlt! posted:

Im a guitar amp dude whose always had an interest in synths, that looks loving awesome! Are you using an amplifier? Or going direct into a PA/DAW?

Synth (warning, ships from germany). I have a really lovely tiny amp but I don't use it, I record in audacity via mixer usb.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So since I'm a gigantic wanker (and I'm learning how to make decent-quality videos for YouTube...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEUkUh1fbXE

Here is my new shiny.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Snagged a blue Epi Wilshire Pro, just a hair over 5.5 lbs which is why I like these.

Now I just need the white and sunburst from this series

Then a black Worn '66 Reissue, the two Frank Iero Phant-o-matics, and maybe start buying the Made in Japan ones. I could go for the current '62 Reissues, but I don't much care for the symmetrical ones. Beyond that lay real 60s guitars and way more money than I would spend. Kinda hurt to pay $900 for my '67 Olympic, but that one was worth it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alright, I promised I'd post some video of me playing with the Intech Grid. Here it is.

[Warning - flashing lights]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBgs5xijXg

I'm still getting used to it, and I just got it all working in a basic way today, so I'm sure I can make some better looking stuff in the future, but hopefully at least some of it is cool.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Ooooh neat! I've actually been using my Launchstation Pro to sequence visual synth stuff in VS, basically just using MIDI to turn layers on and off and recording/looping that as with audio MIDI clips. It's a lot of fun but not particularly flexible. Until recently that is - you can add custom elements as of the latest updates but I haven't really messed with that yet. I should dive back into it soon.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Ooooh neat! I've actually been using my Launchstation Pro to sequence visual synth stuff in VS, basically just using MIDI to turn layers on and off and recording/looping that as with audio MIDI clips. It's a lot of fun but not particularly flexible. Until recently that is - you can add custom elements as of the latest updates but I haven't really messed with that yet. I should dive back into it soon.

It turns out making super flexible software where anything can plug into anything else is really drat hard. I'm going to be working on this until I die or more likely get bored

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And of course I stumble on something really cool as soon as I stop recording.

[Flashing lights]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxKOpaVcq18

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

And of course I stumble on something really cool as soon as I stop recording.

[Flashing lights]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxKOpaVcq18

That is cool. I'm enjoying mine, too, but just doing basic daw control stuff with it so far. Now I need to figure out how to switch banks and get that setup so I can control visual stuff like you've done.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

havelock posted:

That is cool. I'm enjoying mine, too, but just doing basic daw control stuff with it so far. Now I need to figure out how to switch banks and get that setup so I can control visual stuff like you've done.

I cheated because I wrote the software to work with the layout I have instead of the other way around. You can do some fairly complex stuff with the configuration tool but it's a huge pain the rear end - it's slow, clunky, buggy and poorly documented. The software was definitely the weakest part for me. Also, this will bite you, but the "pages" are system wide. If you change it on one module it changes it on all of them, so if you want a module to have the same functionality on multiple pages, you have to configure it the same on those pages, which is a pain.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

I cheated because I wrote the software to work with the layout I have instead of the other way around. You can do some fairly complex stuff with the configuration tool but it's a huge pain the rear end - it's slow, clunky, buggy and poorly documented. The software was definitely the weakest part for me. Also, this will bite you, but the "pages" are system wide. If you change it on one module it changes it on all of them, so if you want a module to have the same functionality on multiple pages, you have to configure it the same on those pages, which is a pain.

Agreed on the config editor - I'm a dev and I see what they were getting at, but it's pretty impenetrable from a UX perspective. I have been able to make a few changes in it and the default config is already pretty good/useful, so that helps.

Thanks for the info on pages. I'm sure that would have surprised me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For anyone else just reading and thinking I'm saying to avoid - I'm not. The hardware seems good. Everything is nice and clicky clacky (although the rotary encoders can be a bit vague for my taste) and the magnetic snapping thing is awesome and works great. It's also way cheaper than the competition. I just have a mild concern that the company may disappear one day and suddenly I have a bunch of unsupported hardware and a not-great software package for it. But that's every small company so :shrug:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
More "art" for the walls of the music room. Can you identify that guitar player?

The dangling cigarette kind of gives it away.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Down the rabbit hole

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

(pair)

My KRK VXT 6 are getting up there in age though they still pump out the sound and look drat brand new (Legend of Consumerism: A Link to the Past**) and I wanted to have a set of studio monitors with a warranty. This is actually a Guitar Center house brand, which did not entice me initially, but when I compared the MX8 directly to others in the price range of $250 and under per monitor, I simply preferred the sound & found them closest in performance with my audition material to Yamaha HS8 and others I had been looking at for a higher price. I got the protection plan mainly because 1. not very expensive to get, 2. two years of hassle free swapping out for a new one at the GC which is just down the road is enticing, and 3. I figure if they're going to eat poo poo due to some manufacturing flaw it'll probably be within that time frame, so it offers me a bit of peace of mind. Since getting them home and set up in my home studio area I'm really enjoying using them & feel I made a good choice, although part of me will always be like "... really, the GC house brand?" - just, not my ears, or my wallet, those parts are digging the decision. I had honestly expected to like the JBLs or Kalis I was auditioning more, but I just did not. :shrug:

As the images suggest I ended up getting the MX3 too because they do have a similar sound signature in some ways to the MX8, though considerably worse bass extension as you'd expect and somewhat resonant in the midbass. Spot of EQ tames that, and their overall sound and ease of setting them up for near-field stereo listening pretty much anywhere (plus their low price on sale) won me over. Got two years of the plan on them too, which was especially cheap as they're sold as a pair, so if they do have issues I'll just go swap 'em, minimal fuss. Bonus, with Guitar Center revenue going over 2 billion last year they'll probably even be around to do so if I need to! Keen!

**Reading that old post is a trip. That was a real young me on the other side of a lot of poo poo, friends, a lot of poo poo indeed. I have like 23 pages of posts in this thread from the old days, though after my medical issues cost so much in a lot of different ways, I ended up having to sell most of it to help make ends meet. I'm still kicking, though, and these days I've got my family to look after - three kiddos, holy poo poo - and in terms of gear there's new stuff around, and new musical interests I'm chasing too. I am glad to see many friendly posters from over the years too, I hope y'all are doing well.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Good score at the pawn shop today

Made in Korea Ibanez PF-10BK acoustic with hard case, $45. Guy at the counter commented that the case is worth more than that, which is true.

Dirty, but excellent shape. Good action, straight neck, bridge is where it should be and the top isn't even slightly bellied.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nice find.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

Agreed is here!
Howdy!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

widefault posted:

More "art" for the walls of the music room. Can you identify that guitar player?

The dangling cigarette kind of gives it away.
I got it, but it was a tossup for me between him and Johnny Thunders, which to be fair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hey man, glad to be back :) And also thank you for commenting so positively on one of my soundcloud tracks, that was rad :hfive:

Y'all! I got a new guitar! First one since 2011:

It's a MIM Charvel with one of the best necks I have ever used on any guitar made anywhere, couple SD pickups (neck '59/bridge trembucker JB), Floyd Rose 1000 trem system. Haven't had a floating bridge one since I had to sell the one in my avatar. I loved it when I played it in the store, played a bunch of others but kept coming back to it and now it is mine. The dog did not come with the guitar.

I already spent an hour and a half getting it back in tune after an abortive attempt to put it in my own weird tuning! Standard it is for now, holy poo poo, but man I love this thing. Strap was temporary and what I had on hand, I've got straplocks and a wonderfully gaudy bright blue and aqua pattern strap on it now.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 11, 2022