Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Spoke to friend who owned my favorite cafe in my town in Western Ukraine.
He sent his wife and daughter to Prague.

He returned to the cafe to make the best coffee and sweets and that "We are strong because God is with us."
He also said, "You no want come to us?" and I broke down completely.

I made it all the way through this thread without the need to comment, but this absolutely tore at my heart.

So many good people just trying to live their lives.

Edit: sorry about the snipe. Here's a great OSI list as penance. Focused on aviation but also covering everything else.

https://twitter.com/i/lists/1490427245097148423?s=20

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mokotow posted:

It probably means the GPS data has been disabled for this video. In the olden times you’d have to blur the data, now you can export the video without the data.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We have OSINT on Russian military GPS jammer deployments in the theatre.

Good to know, thank you both!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Looks like a bunch of rolling Molotov targets if you ask me.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Spoke to friend who owned my favorite cafe in my town in Western Ukraine.
He sent his wife and daughter to Prague.

He returned to the cafe to make the best coffee and sweets and that "We are strong because God is with us."
He also said, "You no want come to us?" and I broke down completely.

I'm so sorry.:smith: I'm glad his wife and daughter are safe.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1497264309960773634

fringe shitfuck assholes will always back this kinda poo poo.

What? Ukraine should not have allowed a democratically elected "colorful figure" to lead the country?

loving garbage-rear end humans. Tell me you mean "Jew" without saying "Jew", rear end in a top hat.

(edit: apologies, somehow I got jumped a long way back just to see this--but no apologies to Glenn Greenwald, who can eat the peanuts out of my poo poo)

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 27, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

UN Security Council emergency meeting stream is up. Should be starting soon. The last one was spicy and Russia is still presiding.

https://www.rferl.org/a/united-nations-russia-ukraine-security-council/31726020.html

Livestream link: https://youtu.be/RbIrkc5GIEs

Quoting for the new page. The Council is now in session.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ethanol posted:

Looks like a bunch of rolling Molotov targets if you ask me.

Throwing molotovs on an armoured vehicle is probably worse for the thrower than the truck, to be honest.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

KitConstantine posted:

UN Security Council emergency meeting stream is up. Should be starting soon. The last one was spicy and Russia is still presiding.

https://www.rferl.org/a/united-nations-russia-ukraine-security-council/31726020.html

Livestream link: https://youtu.be/RbIrkc5GIEs

I look forward to the UN doing absolutely nothing

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nazzadan posted:

Another goon alerted me to your post, so here you go if it wasn't already fulfilled

God drat. Even the facial expressions.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

tracecomplete posted:

What? Ukraine should not have allowed a democratically elected "colorful figure" to lead the country?

loving garbage-rear end humans. Tell me you mean "Jew" without saying "Jew", rear end in a top hat.

I think he means a guy who kept to his moderate mandate: normalizing relations with Russia.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

TheRat posted:

Throwing molotovs on an armoured vehicle is probably worse for the thrower than the truck, to be honest.

If there's one thrower, yes. Not when the entire civilian population is throwing many, though.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Are they falling out of the sky or just deploying flares?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Sounds pretty bad. I think Russia can still important off-the-shelf stuff through middlemen in other countries like China (but at a huge markup), so it's not like they won't be able to buy office computers. But losing access to custom developed asic stuff is huge. It's going to be very hard to impossible to replace these components in production.

Used to work in a factory making capacitors for cars, satellites & military hardware, if you want stuff that's military grade off the shelf you will suffer. :stonk:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

And nuclear reactors don't heat homes.

How not?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/27/putin-nuclear-warning-requires-west-to-tread-extremely-carefully i agree with this mostly.:

quote:

The challenge for the Nato allies now is maintaining the support Ukraine needs for its survival while making clear Putin has a way out of the crisis, rather than climbing up the escalation ladder to the point where it takes on a logic of its own.

The threat of a no-fly zone over parts of Ukraine implies Nato is willing to shoot down Russian planes, and would represent a dramatic escalation, while hints at regime change in Moscow are likely to deepen Putin’s paranoia.

Laura Kennedy, an expert on disarmament and a former US deputy assistant secretary of state, said there was “no need or sense in mirroring Putin’s reckless nuclear threats, which should be universally condemned”.

“I think it’s in everyone’s interests for the west to spell out that the most punishing sanctions … will be lifted when the status quo ante is restored,” said James Acton, the co-director of the nuclear policy program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

But he added that off-ramps only work as long as Putin can see them, and wants to take them. That is in question if the Russian leader has come to see the subjugation of Ukraine as essential to his political survival at home.

“It’s difficult for the west to create an de-escalation pathway,” Acton said. “Much presumably depends on how Putin views the domestic consequences of his backing down – something over which the west has no control.”

a few pages back i said i think it's dangerous to expect regime change from within, it's about as likely to happen as it is in north korea, russians don't love this war but the threshold at which they'll turn on putin i think is still higher than people here like to imagine. ukraine should be defended but there should be some sort of plan for ending the crisis on negotiations and returning to some sort of normal state of affairs, i don't really see that anywhere

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tracecomplete posted:

The useful idiots have rallied I see

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Pook Good Mook posted:

God drat. Even the facial expressions.

Nazz is a genuinely talented memesmith and every one is a winner.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I look forward to the UN doing absolutely nothing

Russia vetoed the attempt to bring a resolution condemning the Ukraine invasion to the General Assembly, but this meeting is operating under a different protocol in which vetoes cannot be used, all that's needed to pass the measure are the nine of the 15 Security Council members voting yes. Considering that 11 of them voted in favor of the resolution that Russia vetoed, passage seems assured.

Edit: The UN General Assembly can also do things like stripping Russia of it's Security Council seat, so depending on what they will vote on, this is can be more than just useless posturing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TheRat posted:

Yeah except that column I’m talking about looks to be almost entirely canvas topped troop and or supply carriers with distinctly unarmored cabs

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Torrannor posted:

Russia vetoed the attempt to bring a resolution condemning the Ukraine invasion to the General Assembly, but this meeting is operating under a different protocol in which vetoes cannot be used, all that's needed to pass the measure are the nine of the 15 Security Council members voting yes. Considering that 11 of them voted in favor of the resolution that Russia vetoed, passage seems assured.

Does a UN condemnation mean anything other than a strongly worded letter?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Warbadger posted:

Like, I don't think Russia "created" Trump in a meaningful way or won the election for him but it's true that they definitely supported him and Trump definitely fellated Putin at every possible turn while in office.

The question I will always ask is, what could Trump have done differently that would indicate he was more a Russian asset with any more amount of deniability?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Yeah I don't understand. Here the temps are worst than in germany and I think most heating is from electricity provided by dams.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

I am here from Vancouver, Canada to tell you that electricity can and does heat homes, and the equipment is incredibly cheap and easy to install.

It's also stupid inefficient, but that's a separate matter.

In Finland we use electricity (nuclear and other) to run heatpumps to heat homes. More expensive than direct electricity but not inefficient. Would work even better in warmer climates.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

It does in the sense that it makes it easier, politically, for various countries to impose sanctions on Russia.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Shibawanko posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/27/putin-nuclear-warning-requires-west-to-tread-extremely-carefully i agree with this mostly.:

a few pages back i said i think it's dangerous to expect regime change from within, it's about as likely to happen as it is in north korea, russians don't love this war but the threshold at which they'll turn on putin i think is still higher than people here like to imagine. ukraine should be defended but there should be some sort of plan for ending the crisis on negotiations and returning to some sort of normal state of affairs, i don't really see that anywhere

Is there any incentive for the average politician to support an off-ramp? The media will just say they're 'weak on Putin'

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

See my edit. An UN General Assembly session stripped Taiwan of it's Security Council seat and gave that seat to communist China, so depending on what they vote on, it absolutely can mean more. And the Ukrainian ambassador to the UN has argued that Russia just assumed the Soviet Union's permanent seat on the Security Council by default, it was never officially ratified. So crazy poo poo is absolutely possible.

But to be realistic, it probably won't be more than a strongly worded letter.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The amount of damage that many men trained for 1 hour in “Turn this on, point it towards the armored thing, fire” is enough to crumble an empire.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1498025983609348102

More big, big news.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Heard a news correspondent say that those spray painted markings kept reappearing overnight. So there are probably still active saboteurs in Kyiv. But then I thought, what if they've gotten hold of some spray cans and are now placing them in areas that will steer the invaders into death traps?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Probably not really, but it does help put countries on record regarding where they stand--for example, if China were to vote in favor it would be pretty big news, even if the measure didn't achieve anything itself. Particularly if it goes to a General Assembly vote, it will be interesting to see how much support Russia has left.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

Are they falling out of the sky or just deploying flares?

Looks like flares to me. The one on the right of shot lets off three or four of them then banks left. Nothing looks like they get hit. The guy who posted the tweet is an expert in Russian/Russia-adjacent military stuff, though, so maybe he sees something I can't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tezzeract posted:

Is there any incentive for the average politician to support an off-ramp? The media will just say they're 'weak on Putin'

I have a hard time imagining what an off ramp for Putin even looks like at this point. No such thing as a "strongman" with a fuckup weak army.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/UA_BotTwitte/status/1498006072740782091?t=_q4GPb9ZXrn80FFZY_lugA&s=19

There are additional videos of Chechens flexing and gloating floating around twitter (ugh), and the terrain matches.

Sending in notoriously violent troops while claiming you want to negotiate is pretty hosed up imo

Edit: this is new, after the Bucha group got blown up.

I think you could tell the direction of the convoy by how the Chechens are facing while praying. In this case it looks like it's heading towards the west

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 27, 2022

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Can't have some sort of european aggro without the balkans, it wouldn't be right.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

They are too far away from population centers for district heating (and good luck selling that to the German populace), and millions of homes are set up with gas heating. Those need to be changed soon (to something heatpump-ish), but they aren't now. And good luck trying to get boomers who own all the property to change anything.

Plus, trying to do anything nuclear is both extremely unpopular, the companies involved don't want them, they are extremely expensive, and Germany can't produce any fuel.

The best they could do is run the few reactors even longer, but they are EOL.

It's a pipe dream, and a dumb one at that.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Looks like flares to me. The one on the right of shot lets off three or four of them then banks left. Nothing looks like they get hit. The guy who posted the tweet is an expert in Russian/Russia-adjacent military stuff, though, so maybe he sees something I can't.

I can't really tell either, but the one on the left definitely looks like it's still maneuvering at the end of the clip.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Seeing long convoy lines like this make me wish the US had sold Ukraine a few thousand A-10s.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Fragrag posted:

It's cool how the direction the Chechens are praying towards is a good indication of the convoy's heading. In this case it's heading towards the west

Which I guess would be from the Russian border towards Kyiv?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

this isn't new, kosovo has wanted nato membership for awhile. but several nato states don't recognize them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

They are too far away from population centers for district heating (and good luck selling that to the German populace), and millions of homes are set up with gas heating. Those need to be changed soon (to something heatpump-ish), but they aren't now. And good luck trying to get boomers who own all the property to change anything.

Plus, trying to do anything nuclear is both extremely unpopular, the companies involved don't want them, they are extremely expensive, and Germany can't produce any fuel.

The best they could do is run the few reactors even longer, but they are EOL.

It's a pipe dream, and a dumb one at that.

I don't think it's that impossible to start switching over to electric heating. It's pretty easy to set up, and you don't have to do it all at once for everyone.