Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Really hard to get a feel for how the community is feeling about this game so far. For every 5 posts about how someone is getting actually stonewalled and they’re loving over it there is maybe 1 person that drops in to say “this game is a sublime epic masterpiece unlike anything before”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Appoda posted:

In case no one has gotten to you already, You're in the ballpark. What you're looking for is definitely worth finding.

In short, try below

Aaargh I'm still not getting it! I'm super dumb, you might need to spell it out for me.

Just took torrent for a little ride west after getting to the second main area, and I have no idea how a game like this is possible. It's astonishingly big.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's in the ruin/guard camp right before the castle gate that the gold light leads you to. There are two wagons that each have a chest. The flail is in one and there's a greatsword in the other.

Dang I thought I cleared that camp. Thanks.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

hobbez posted:

Really hard to get a feel for how the community is feeling about this game so far. For every 5 posts about how someone is getting actually stonewalled and they’re loving over it there is maybe 1 person that drops in to say “this game is a sublime epic masterpiece unlike anything before”.

It's shaping up to be the best game Ive ever played FWIW, but I'm playing the ps4 version on ps5 which appears to be the smoothest and least buggy way to play.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Danger posted:

So found a side quest that seems pretty important to the story and is incredibly easy to miss, classic from soft.

Any hints on what this is?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hobbez posted:

thats the souls experience

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to summon anyone near the summoning pools in the castle walls/castle on PC. Is it network bugginess or are coop partners just getting swooped up that fast?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity where about is this in Stormveil? I wanna see it for myself but I haven't seen any giant pits there.

Rampart tower bonfire, if you go to the top of the area with the super long elevator, it opens onto a roof with some red guys, hop off the sandbags you see from the doorway

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hobbez posted:

I’d make more posts about how much I adore this game but I’m too busy playing the game

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

hobbez posted:

This is every single dark souls game ever

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I've played all da souls games to completion. No master or epic gamer at them. But goddamn, this magit fight loving sucks.

As for the usual tips about exploring a bit first?

I did explore, I've cleared at least 5 optional caverns. I have reinforced the long sword. I am summoning spirits and npc. Why do I have .5 seconds to hit him between 5-6 chain giant sweeping combos

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I saw people ITT talk about how they summoned a spirit ash but also had another NPC helping them at the same time. How do you do that?

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

hobbez posted:

Every Souls youtuber I can think of is calling it the best in the series, in addition to all the 10/10 reviews, my friends opinions on it, and my own. I already posted my thoughts but Im definitely in the "this game is a sublime epic masterpiece unlike anything before" camp. A lot of the stonewalled posts are confusing to me because there hasn't been a single time I've gotten stuck on something without having the option to go spend several hours making progress in another direction or location. The difficulty is more user friendly then it's ever been before just in terms of options available to you alone, both in terms of what you're doing at any given moment plus stuff like the spirit summons. I tried Margit when I first got to him, got my rear end kicked, came back 10 hours later having seen a broad spectrum of content and gone from Level 8 with a +2 weapon to Level 30 with a +7 and mopped the floor with him. You can grab your dropped Runes / bloodstain on horseback even, so it's a cinch to recover them while speeding by. I haven't lost any as a result.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Big Bizness posted:

Every Souls youtuber I can think of is calling it the best in the series, in addition to all the 10/10 reviews, my friends opinions on it, and my own. I already posted my thoughts but Im definitely in the "this game is a sublime epic masterpiece unlike anything before" camp. A lot of the stonewalled posts are confusing to me because there hasn't been a single time I've gotten stuck on something without having the option to go spend several hours making progress in another direction or location. The difficulty is more user friendly then it's ever been before just in terms of options available to you alone, both in terms of what you're doing at any given moment plus stuff like the spirit summons. I tried Margit when I first got to him, got my rear end kicked, came back 10 hours later having seen a broad spectrum of content and gone from Level 8 with a +2 weapon to Level 30 with a +7 and mopped the floor with him. You can grab your dropped Runes / bloodstain on horseback even, so it's a cinch to recover them while speeding by. I haven't lost any as a result.

Pretty much my experience too, I spent around 12 hours before even seeing margit and he wasn't too bad, went down first try. If you want to beeline the story I imagine he's extremely tough.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I think Ulcerated Tree Spirit is bugged. After landing 2 criticals it simply stopped attacking. Literally frozen in place while I wail on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Every single spoiler I've read sounds fake

I love it

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I've found maybe 4 weapon upgrade parts. 2 were rng drops afaik 2 where chests. :(

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Big Bizness posted:

Word. Having not played any souls games at launch I was suspecting that it is typical to have a lot of vocal criticism while series vets are too busy playing!

I do think anyone just getting streamrolled by the first boss repeatedly without exploring Southern/Eastern lingrave properly is basically just doing it wrong.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Marika Stakes and refilling your flasks by killing groups of enemies are really clever changes to make the game work better as an open world game. The stakes are great because you can run into a miniboss that absolutely destroys you out in the open world but there will almost always be a stake nearby when that happens so the punishment is minimal, meaning you won’t feel discouraged to explore and throw yourself at things that might be out of your league.
The flask refills are great because you can sometimes spend a while exploring before finding your next site of grace but if you’re willing to take the risk of defeating some extra enemies, you can keep moving forward and exploring for longer instead of having to stop and go back to refresh your healing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have found the solution

"Lightning."

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

blue squares posted:

I saw people ITT talk about how they summoned a spirit ash but also had another NPC helping them at the same time. How do you do that?

You can summon spirits if a) you are playing alone, or b) you summon only an NPC, not another human player.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
To defeat the Sighba Demon shoot it in the head until it dies

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Got invaded for the first time and I absolutely murked that motherfucker.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I learned something about getting on the mount
https://i.imgur.com/4v7hIYW.mp4

And I ran into an old friend!
https://i.imgur.com/jMI3fRg.mp4

(or rather, they ran into me)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve done as much today with my warrior than I did in 2 days with my mage lol. I’m effortlessly clearing poo poo solo or with only 1 summon whereas I would be struggling to live with the mage.

Guard counter with a Zweihander is filthy. I love it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

hobbez posted:

the other masterpiece-likers are busy playing. for the stuck: remember that you can summon allies as soon as you enter an area, not just to fight the boss at the end. i went through much of stromveil with a dude carrying a FFVII sword that showed me a bunch of secrets and hidden paths. also try getting summoned before you even enter an area normally in order to learn the map without losing runes. in fact you'll gain a bunch of runes from killing enemies at exactly zero risk to your long term strategy, with the satisfaction of helping other people. the smallest bit of map knowledge can go a long way to reducing difficulty.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 27, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hobbez posted:

I've been playing the game for like 20+ hours and haven't even seen the second dungeon. It's the best game I've ever played at this point.

Orv
May 4, 2011
To whoever posted at me that elemental damage was the way to kill bosses; lmao yeah. Radahn went from "I might be underleveled for this fight" to "Didn't even phase transition" with frost damage. Interesting in that bosses have definitely been susceptible to damage types before but not like, literally hit them five times levels of damage.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Being able to "Nope" out of a path is certainly welcoming. I just place a skull icon down on the spot and go do something else.

Also, I was wrong earlier. The blackmith in the open world sells you SOMBER smithing stones. Which apparently is worthless to me.

You need to beat a mini dungeon for normal stones, which is located in a dungeon so incredibly easy to miss I'm actually impressed at the amount of gently caress you it symbolizes.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

weekly font posted:

Ok that's the one that said something about Imps but the one in South Lingrave is also down. I'll start there, thanks!

e: Asking for a friend literally - character spoiler: Does Patches appear somewhere else after you first interact with him and take the chest? He's no longer where he first appears but only in one of my friends' games. Can't figure out if bug or Souls

Once you get to the Lakes he moves there, even if you haven’t beaten Margot yet.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'll give this to from: this game has the best iteration of lightning spear out of any game they've made so far. comes out lightning (heh) fast and does pretty good damage for the cost

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

huh posted:

You can summon spirits if a) you are playing alone, or b) you summon only an NPC, not another human player.

yeah thats what I wrote. Spirit Ash plus a second NPC

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
are any faith users able to provide a few locations of spells and useful items?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Video Nasty posted:

I love my octopus helmet and I don’t think I can ever replace it.

where did you get it?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Lakbay posted:

I'm at the capital with 2 great runes, I'm not going to accidentally finish the game am I? I assume not and this is the equivalent of DS1's meeting Gwynevere

correct. i'm about two areas past that now, its definitely the anor londo equivalent from what i can tell.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Stormveil Castle is incredible. its like quintessential Souls

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Orv posted:

To whoever posted at me that elemental damage was the way to kill bosses; lmao yeah. Radahn went from "I might be underleveled for this fight" to "Didn't even phase transition" with frost damage. Interesting in that bosses have definitely been susceptible to damage types before but not like, literally hit them five times levels of damage.

Laughs in monster hunter

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Is there a reason to care about all of the crafting stuff? What is the point to all these marker things and random plants I am picking up? I have so many random flesh pieces and herbs and widgets that I have no idea what I’m supposed to use or pay attention to

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 27, 2022

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

actionjackson posted:

where did you get it?

It’s a random drop from the octopi at Limgrave beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Deciding time -- I'm definitely diggin' my squishy dex game, sneaking and stabbing where possible or dodging until my summons take aggro and dagger slashing when I need damage. Also the movement of the flail is super-satisfying, especially on horseback.

But I wanted to do some casting too, and I don't think I can pump both Int and Faith. I'm leaning toward Incantations because stalking around with a dagger and glowing hand looks badass, but I wanna make sure it's a worthy investment.

Are there good incantations for comfortable-in-1:1-melee playstyles? (Which?)

And how exactly does Darkness work? Can I just do as many backstabs as I can in X seconds or is it probably only good for one reset/escape?