Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Wheeee posted:

this bullshit ain’t no ww3, putin’s just a midboss on the west’s journey toward the final confrontation with xi

The West is going to have to put in more quarters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Every time some private drops a bomb on his toe, people start screeching about WW3.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Can't wait for this stupid as gently caress war to go nuclear and get me atomized because I live near a nuclear sub base hell yeah

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

Can't wait for this stupid as gently caress war to go nuclear and get me atomized because I live near a nuclear sub base hell yeah

At least you did lead a fulfilled posting life.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
in these final hours it’s important to post.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
When the nuke destroys my home, life, and body I will become death, the destroyer of worlds, and keep posting on the astral plane

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

If I die in a nuclear holocaust and I don't get to play Elden Ring because the US needed to protect an oil pipeline I'm gonna be pissed.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

maybe the real nuclear hellfire was the posting friends we made along the way

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm a few miles downwind from an air force base with a nuke wing. :stoked:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

When I'm obliterated by a thermonuclear warhead I'll become what I've always wanted to be. A beautiful pile of carbon.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

When I'm obliterated by a thermonuclear warhead I'll become what I've always wanted to be. A beautiful pile of carbon.

You already are.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I work in near Santa Monica,CA

Going to love being ash on the wind thanks to someone's Countervalue strategy.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'll probably do okay unless somebody needs to cripple America's jambalaya stockpiles

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Ardennes posted:

The West is going to have to put in more quarters

we're printing them as fast as we can

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

unwantedplatypus posted:

I'll probably do okay unless somebody needs to cripple America's jambalaya stockpiles

We cannot allow a spicy stew gap

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

perhaps having the heterodox serious internal but also public critique is a huge strength.

when compared to uh not.

:rubby:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Blackhawk Down(at a Utah ski resort)
https://twitter.com/localnews8/status/1496273737561292807?s=20
The rotor of the first helicopter struck the second. Amazingly, no one died.

i'd like to reiterate just how unlikely and miraculous this was

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1497716025604771842

Thread from a Australian major general, looks like we're not going to learn a thing about the recent Russian-Ukraine war and double down on posting wars.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
nobody dies in posting wars

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Danann posted:

Thread from a Australian major general, looks like we're not going to learn a thing about the recent Russian-Ukraine war and double down on posting wars.

That thread is every bit of cope you can see on twitter.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
When was the last time australia used tanks in war anyway?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

nobody dies in posting wars

plenty of people die from posting wars, I mean look at the schadenfreude posts in the covid thread.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bar Ran Dun posted:

plenty of people die from posting wars, I mean look at the schadenfreude posts in the covid thread.

died WITH posting

not OF posting

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

riddled with covid and russian bullets, convincing the priest I died accidentally and not from reading posts

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

this time the posting war may actually get people killed by convincing ukrainians to face down thermobaric rockets

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
- assumption that Russians are taking heavy losses. We don't know if that's true, and we don't know if it's comparable to the kinds of losses the Ukrainians are taking, but also...

- it assumes that the Russians particularly care about heavy losses, which they wouldn't both as a matter of operational doctrine, and as a political entity. It's the West/US that tends to care more about high losses as a PR exercise, but even from the view that Putin runs a fascist, totalitarian state, it doesn't matter to him because the assumption that he's a dictator also carries with it the assumption that he has no accountability. But the West keeps bringing this up because it also feeds into the narrative that Putin is going to drive his own countrymen into a revolt against him over high losses of human life (which, okay, that's not impossible, but we have no idea how likely it is)

- "the Russian campaign so far has been unimaginative and plodding" - they drove 90+ km into Kherson oblast in less than a day. They were able to get into Kiev's suburbs in less than 48 hours. Never mind the fact that "unimaginative" is a useless descriptor when talking about military operations, it's not at all accurate to describe the pace of the Russian advance as plodding.

- again, he mentions the Russians want a "low-cost victory", which is wrong from the standpoint of Russian/Soviet doctrine, but is in his interests to say because if they WANT a low-cost victory, but are GETTING high losses, then it plays into the narrative that the Russians are bad at war and are losing

- "these deep operations ... don't appear to be driven by sensible operational needs" - if the paradrop into Kiev airports worked, then the war would likely already be over. That it didn't is a palpable failure on their side, yes, but it's pretty clear that there was a "sensible operational need", i.e. to end the war quickly.

- "the Russians, with an air force that is vastly bigger and more capable, did not achieve air superiority before the invasion" - in the first place, air supremacy is different from air superiority. Russia might lack the former, but they certainly have the latter. Further, that Russian planes are getting shot down by SAMs is not a question of air superiority, because it's not the Ukrainian air force that's making those shoot-downs

- the call-out to Russian logistics being bad is founded on socmed posts about Russian vehicles being found on the side of the road without fuel. Those are anecdotes. And they're using it to project this WW2-level idea that "the Russians keep overextending their supply lines", which was the default excuse that Nazi generals fall back on when describing their retreats followed by their counterattacks.

- "the Russian forces are just not up to this task without resort to more traditional methods of methodical, highly destructive warfare" - as opposed to the American way of war, which just skips right ahead to highly destructive warfare without even trying, right?

- "Their Ukrainian opponents have clearly planned and wargamed their overall defensive scheme of maneuver over many years." - it's especially galling to say this when the Russians are already in Kiev, and there are no large-scale organized army formations opposing them in that area!

- "The Ukrainians have been masters in the use of strategic communications to provide transparency for the world about the Russian invasion. They have also provided inspiring stories, such as this heroic sapper, that provides the iron in the spine of soldiers & civilians." - what this actually means is that the Ukrainians have a great social media disinformation campaign that's backed by Western media, up to and including this very thread we're commenting on

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

thanks for the analysis. i gave up on that stinky thread after the fifth post. a canary would choke on the copium.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

thanks for the analysis. i gave up on that stinky thread after the fifth post. a canary would choke on the copium.

the canary is the first to die from copium!!!

(excellent post gradenko)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this time the posting war may actually get people killed by convincing ukrainians to face down thermobaric rockets

yeah I think a lot of people are going to die.

this war was a huge unforced error. just unbelievably stupid. they are looking at a well armed seriously committed insurgency in a large country without sectarian divisions.

man made horrors beyond our comprehension.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

a large country without sectarian divisions.

this doesn’t seem especially accurate given that three oblasts have seceded within the decade

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
it’s cool that nukes are on the table, really glad the world economy is so interconnected and ww3 couldn’t possibly happen

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

indigi posted:

this doesn’t seem especially accurate given that three oblasts have seceded within the decade

the reality of those as mere excuses externally manufactured vs real internal national divides would seem matter.

it would be quite dangerous to stake how an occupation might go on a romantic narrative attempting to restore a lost past.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bar Ran Dun posted:

without sectarian divisions.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I dunno about this part

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

so y’all think the gap between Russians in Ukraine and Ukrainians was say equivalent to Shia and Sunni?

maybe in Estonia or the Baltic. but lol Russian vessel crewing companies didn’t seem to think so.

done hosed it all up now though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

there are national groups one never sees mixed in vessel crewing. Turk/Greek, Japanese / S. Korean or Chinese, Indian/Pakistani. these are good shorthand for who really hates who.

But Eastern Europeans (esp Ukrainians)and Russians... always together and esp by Russian crewing companies.

lmao.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the reality of those as mere excuses externally manufactured vs real internal national divides would seem matter.

lmao. lol.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The protect of reconstructing broken origin myths...

first what broken origin myth...

code:

Let me remind you again of how modern Russian history began. First of all, it should be acknowledged, and I have spoken of this before, that the collapse of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the century. And for the Russian people, it was a real drama. Tens of millions of our citizens and fellow-countrymen found themselves outside the Russian Federation. Moreover, the epidemic of disintegration spread to Russia itself. Citizens' savings lost their value. The old ideals were destroyed. Many institutions were disbanded or simply hastily reformed. The country's integrity was disturbed by a terrorist intervention and the ensuing capitulation of Khasavyurt.

the project of restoring what was before is a revolutionary romanticism. it’s always contradictory, it cannot not be contradictory. that makes it a terrible strategic war goal.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This really seems like you're talking about political issues which are more relevant for the Ukraine war thread. I know it sounds contradictory, but this thread needs to stay focused on military matters and material conditions rather than speculating on how politics will determine the course of a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why would you use [ code ] instead of [ quote ]?