Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ultraviolence123 posted:

Grabbed the Arrow 4k for Phenomena from Grindhouse Video. I wanted it to match the other Argento 4ks I have versus the Synapse edition, which has cover art that I don't like as much, and also isn't out for another month versus Arrow's set.

Very cool! Dario is the king. I dig that one, and what a soundtrack, Goblin, Motorhead, Maiden, you name it. I love that era of 80s Argento and co. where they'd throw badass fun metal music on there with the carnage. It's like a delightful celebration of evil, I'm into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Kino's putting out a Night of the Hunter 4k

I’m betting it’s a Love/Hate affair.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
If the CDC is saying COVID is over, can someone let best buy know to bring back the $6 bins of random B-tier blu rays?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sniep posted:

i know you were speaking tongue-in-cheek, but ill reply earnestly anyway -

I purchase physical media because it's a license to the content for personal use, which i then (still pseudo-illegal in the US because ... reasons?) rip them to my NAS for my home movie server.

I store the films in their original quality 1:1 as off the bluray. Once ripped they go into storage containers like these off amazon:

and then into a storage unit like this:

So that's why i don't care about slip covers and just toss them out. Everything is on my home plex and i never touch a disc more than once in case i need to rerip (it does happen) ((e: if you're trying to guess the quantity of films based on those cases, a) that's not all of them and b) it's currently 2,138 films)

I put my movies on a shelf by my TV

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Gripweed posted:

I put my movies on a shelf by my TV

that works for a while!!!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sniep posted:

that works for a while!!!!

you can always get more shelf

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I only buy things I really like, or at least interest me. Still have one completely side on my media tower, and one side is filled with old game jewel cases so those could always go somewhere else. I doubt I’m filling it completely anytime soon.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

does the Young Girls of Rochefort have a new title/opening credits on the criterion disc? they look lovely and temporary/digital compared to other text overlays in the film / youtube has a different font (aka "not loving Arial" lol)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I used to have these really tall bookshelves from Ikea that I bought extra shelves for to store my once massive physical movie collection. Eventually I realized I was just buying any movie that I even kind of liked, even if I never watched it again, and decided that wasn't a good use of my money and space, plus streaming makes it easier to find things, and if I can't, since I didn't absolutely love those movies, I won't be upset if I can't see them again easily. Over the years I've slowly dwindled my collection down where I didn't need the large shelves anymore. Recently I got a new entertainment console from Ikea with drawers deep enough where I'm able to put my collection in spine up. It's great, I love it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I used to have these really tall bookshelves from Ikea that I bought extra shelves for to store my once massive physical movie collection. Eventually I realized I was just buying any movie that I even kind of liked, even if I never watched it again, and decided that wasn't a good use of my money and space, plus streaming makes it easier to find things, and if I can't, since I didn't absolutely love those movies, I won't be upset if I can't see them again easily. Over the years I've slowly dwindled my collection down where I didn't need the large shelves anymore. Recently I got a new entertainment console from Ikea with drawers deep enough where I'm able to put my collection in spine up. It's great, I love it.

When DVDs were king I had a ton and decided to do this.

I got back into blurays slowly at first, picking up mostly Criterions, then I found Shout, VinSyn, and Severin and my collection really took off. I'm fine with that though.

Sniep posted:

If I could just (carefully i guess) throw them into a box and then give them to someone else to sell and give me half the income, then great, but i'm not gonna sit and try and ebay these shits for $1.99 a piece i just cannot fathom doing that

Tbh I posted that link because I thought someone taking the time to take 3-5 photos of every actual slipcover they were selling and individually pricing them (they have some slips for $15!) to be a bit silly. I wouldn't go out of my way to sell them either, but I also like keeping mine.

I'm curious, do you keep any? Like Vinegar Syndrome has a line called VSA where they're all limited runs and on the slip they hand write the number your movie is from that run, would you throw that out too?

I dig the ripping everything to plex approach that's pretty cool.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://www.thehdroom.com/bluray/lawrence-of-arabia-4k-release-date-152175/

FINALLY

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I will say, I do keep slipcovers if the art on the case doesn't work by itself. Like the non-steelbook Ultraman blurays. they don't even have the title on the cases so I keep the slipcovers for those.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The protection for the plastic on the case is the main thing I keep slipcovers for. I have my movies packed tightly enough together on the shelf that if a case doesn't have a slip cover the plastic gets all warped, which isn't a huge deal but if I can prevent it why not?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I hope there's not a huge difference between this and the columbia set release :ohdear:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I hope there's not a huge difference between this and the columbia set release :ohdear:

I can't imagine there would be, I'm pretty sure the columbia release just used a 4k transfer that had existed for a few years already, but it hadn't been released on 4k disc yet. I'm sure this one will use that same transfer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can exclusively reveal that the disc will be Lawrence of Arabia: Black and Chrome. Finally rid of all that pesky color!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

gently caress, it’s about time. Seems like the Blu-ray took forever to come out to despite being perfect for the format.

With a new added feature. If you have ATMOS height speakers you get to hear the disembodied voice of Peter O’Toole wishing he was drunk right now throughout the entire runtime. Just as Lean intended.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

gently caress, it’s about time. Seems like the Blu-ray took forever to come out to despite being perfect for the format.

With a new added feature. If you have ATMOS height speakers you get to hear the disembodied voice of Peter O’Toole wishing he was drunk right now throughout the entire runtime. Just as Lean intended.

Excellent! I just ordered an ATMOS soundbar, because my current speaker setup is starting to fail :rip:

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

Brexit the Frog posted:

does the Young Girls of Rochefort have a new title/opening credits on the criterion disc? they look lovely and temporary/digital compared to other text overlays in the film / youtube has a different font (aka "not loving Arial" lol)

Yeah it does. Not sure why the restoration team Varda/Demy’s people used didn’t try to match them closer (aside from $). It’s a bummer cuz that’s my favorite one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/Scream_Factory/status/1498350695942139917

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Candyman 4k has been announced. Shout Factory's blu ray from 3 or 4 years ago looks drat good so I think I'll wait and read some reviews of the UHD before upgrading. Still, that Shout Factory blu ray was on sale when I bought it for like $10 and it's one of my all time favorite movies so if the UHD is good I'll definitely get it at some point.

And Lifeforce 4k, holy poo poo

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Scream / Shout also announced The Ghost and the Darkness and DePalma's Femme Fatale.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Candyman 4k has been announced. Shout Factory's blu ray from 3 or 4 years ago looks drat good so I think I'll wait and read some reviews of the UHD before upgrading. Still, that Shout Factory blu ray was on sale when I bought it for like $10 and it's one of my all time favorite movies so if the UHD is good I'll definitely get it at some point.

And Lifeforce 4k, holy poo poo

I'm going to wait for sales on Candyman uhd and Lifeforce, but those are cool releases

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the thing with Shout Factory is that I've been buying their stuff for like 10 years already so the majority of the UHDs they're releasing now would be double-dipping and I really don't like to do that unless it's an all-time favorite like Candyman. Obviously is they released From Beyond on UHD I'd grab that immediately, but I think they lost the rights to it so I doubt we'll be seeing From Beyond 4k any time soon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I own most of Carpenter’s stuff on Shout steelbooks already. But it’s Carpenter so I don’t really mind double dipping and just keeping all of them. Kind of annoyed that they didn’t do steelbooks for Vampires or Starman.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to run into the problem of having nothing to do with my blu-rays for things getting 4k UHD upgrades. I'm not keeping old copies of things, but my friends aren't big into physical media and also don't want horror movies laying around for their kids to find, and I'm not taking a $30-$50 blu-ray collector's edition to 2nd & Charles for $5 in-store credit.

I've definitely slowed down my purchases over this problem.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

I'm starting to run into the problem of having nothing to do with my blu-rays for things getting 4k UHD upgrades. I'm not keeping old copies of things, but my friends aren't big into physical media and also don't want horror movies laying around for their kids to find, and I'm not taking a $30-$50 blu-ray collector's edition to 2nd & Charles for $5 in-store credit.

You should leave horror movies laying around for their kids to find.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“My friend’s kids found the Vinegar Syndrome Blu-rays I gave them when I upgraded and now they won’t talk to me”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I have a blu ray set that has nicer packaging like a collectors edition or something, I usually figure out a way to get the UHD disc in there so that I can keep the nicer packaging on the shelf. Depending on the situation I might just swap standard blu ray out for the UHD, or sometimes there's a spot in the case because there's a disc of extras that I don't care about so I'll take that disc out. Then the duplicate stuff gets put into a plastic bin in my closet.

For instance when I bought The Matrix UHD, I already had a standard blu ray steelbook so I literally just swapped the two discs and kept the steelbook on the shelf with the UHD in it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’ll get Lawrence day 1 as a regular UHD, I really like the Steelbook I got w my Blu-ray. Although that one is kinda nice..

I’ve never seen either Escape from.. movies but Carpenter’s releases continue to kick my rear end with how good they are. I’ll day 1 that as well.

What a great day. gently caress YES

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

“My friend’s kids found the Vinegar Syndrome Blu-rays I gave them when I upgraded and now they won’t talk to me”

Don't give them to your friend's kids, just drive down the street and toss them at porches like a horror paper boy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Obviously not the most important thing but Carpenter's opening credits always impress right away on a UHD. That lettering he uses has a lot more color stability and depth compared to a regular blu ray.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Day 1 on Night of the Hunter. I bought the criterion Blu ray a few months ago but no problems double dipping on that, one of the best films ever made imo.

I also just bought the Eagle Pictures Italian 4K of EFNY so of course that immediately gets the domestic release, haha. No worries, I can't imagine it could look any better.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Also, on the acquisition question: I do my best to not get everything I like somewhat. I’ve become more discerning, relatively, but there’s also interesting movies on UHD/BD that I never touched before. Think Arrow and Shout.

I also feel like… if this is the last hurrah of physical media. Then I’ll get what I can!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I have a friend who just got a PS5 which is also his first Blu-ray player. I've just been offloading all my dupes and upgraded copies to him. It's such a relief because I hate the hassle of selling stuff, especially niche stuff where you have to just wait around for the right person to snag them.

Do you have a local library you could donate them to, by chance?

Gripweed posted:

You should leave horror movies laying around for their kids to find.

Or this :sickos:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

It's four discs, just like the Columbia Classics set, inclusive of the supplemental disc that combines the two discs of the 50th anniversary gift set. I'd be surprised if there's any difference at all.

Brexit the Frog posted:

I wondered about that since I've seen frame grabs of the old masters and they're originally white in a font similar to Umbrellas of Cherbourg. And that film has re-created credits as well, except they're exactly like the original opticals. I'm guessing that the restoration had them as placeholders and nobody ever checked it.

Perhaps we can hope at least those two films get a UHD eventually since I'd imagine HDR would look amazing on them.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Egbert Souse posted:

I wondered about that since I've seen frame grabs of the old masters and they're originally white in a font similar to Umbrellas of Cherbourg. And that film has re-created credits as well, except they're exactly like the original opticals. I'm guessing that the restoration had them as placeholders and nobody ever checked it.

Perhaps we can hope at least those two films get a UHD eventually since I'd imagine HDR would look amazing on them.

Umbrellas would look dope as hell in 4K

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Anyone with discs they're looking to get rid of should consider donating them to Beyond Video in Baltimore.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loathe seeing recreated title sequences that are too static and lack grain compared to the film around them. Granted it usually happens on old serial bootlegs and public domain releases and other such nonofficial discs, but put a modicum of effort in please! A little fake grain and wiggle in After Effects is better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Escape from New York was already on the 4K Carpenter pack. Is this new release a different scan or something? Or more features?