Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
But confused by their manifesto. They want ordinary people and not the elites to survive but also want members with deep pockets and dirigibles.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Stevie Lee posted:

birds are cool as hell. still waiting on the blackbirds to make it back up to maine, they should be here in a few weeks to mark the arrival of spring.

i got a (bad) video of a bluejay making that hawk call in portland a couple months back. i was also startled:
https://i.imgur.com/ztOsjzo.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJpj4ybIubA

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Marenghi posted:

But confused by their manifesto. They want ordinary people and not the elites to survive but also want members with deep pockets and dirigibles.

maybe it's a trap so they can confiscate the wealth and use the dirigibles to drop bombs on factories and mansions

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Stevie Lee posted:

the culprit:

every bird photo makes it look like they're up to something, nervously giving you the side eye

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

blatman posted:

every bird photo makes it look like they're up to something

they are

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

South-east Queensland hit by severe weather, heavy rain and flood warnings issued

i just had close to 200mm of rain overnight. that’s over 350mm in 2 days in my area.

flood warnings, dams being emptied because they’re too full and heaps of roads cut. people staying overnight on the roof of their houses because of the water level. but this isn’t climate related though. no no no. this happens all the time. it’s just one of these things.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

well it is now

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

blatman posted:

every bird photo makes it look like they're up to something, nervously giving you the side eye

blue jays especially are always up to something

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

toggle posted:

South-east Queensland hit by severe weather, heavy rain and flood warnings issued

i just had close to 200mm of rain overnight. that’s over 350mm in 2 days in my area.

flood warnings, dams being emptied because they’re too full and heaps of roads cut. people staying overnight on the roof of their houses because of the water level. but this isn’t climate related though. no no no. this happens all the time. it’s just one of these things.

Salt Fish posted:

I heard that global warming would be a time of increasingly overlapping crises, for example droughts, wars, resource shortages, and diseases. Anyway, whenever that starts to happen its going to really suck.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

simply accepting everything that is happening and will happen is pretty relaxing ngl

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.climatechangenews.com/2022/02/24/us-seeks-to-remove-losses-and-damages-from-scientific-report-on-climate-impacts/

quote:

US seeks to remove ‘losses and damages’ from scientific report on climate impacts

The US has repeatedly blocked demands from developing countries to provide specific funding to recover from the losses caused by climate disasters

The US is pushing back against the use of the term “losses and damages” in a leading scientific report on climate impacts, sources close to the negotiations have told Climate Home News.

The 18-chapter report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, due to be published on Monday, focuses on the impacts of global heating on human and natural systems and the options and limits to adapt to them.

It grapples with the “losses and damages” that might result when emissions cuts and adaptation measures are not enough to prevent the destruction of lives, livelihoods, infrastructure and biodiversity.

Over the past 10 days, government representatives have been discussing the findings of a “summary for policymakers” line by line to approve it.

A draft, obtained by Climate Home News, states that human-induced climate change has already “caused widespread losses and damages to nature and people, despite adaptation efforts”.

But, during a virtual meeting of national delegates this week, the US pushed for the term “losses and damages” to be replaced with the word “impacts”.

One source told Climate Home the US had been “playing hard ball” on the issue. “The US is pushing very hard to obscure the underlying science and keep it out of the summary for policymakers,” which it is “trying to shape to its interest”.

Discussions on ‘loss and damage’ have been extremely contentious at the UN climate talks.

Under the Paris Agreement, countries agreed to help victims of climate change recover after extreme weather events or slower-onset climate disasters such as sea-level rise.

But wealthy nations have fiercely resisted providing specific finance for these losses and refused to accept any liability or compensation claims for their historic responsibility in causing climate change.

The issue rose to the top of the political agenda at the Cop26 climate talks. Developing countries put forward a proposal for a funding facility dedicated to loss and damage, which was blocked by the US and the EU.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Stevie Lee posted:

birds are cool as hell. still waiting on the blackbirds to make it back up to maine, they should be here in a few weeks to mark the arrival of spring.

i got a (bad) video of a bluejay making that hawk call in portland a couple months back. i was also startled:
https://i.imgur.com/ztOsjzo.mp4

the culprit:

Sick blue Jay, I've never seen one in person before. I've got a loy of stellar jays near me. Last year they even decided to give me the honor of procreating on my property :)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

rainwater saucers getting occasional business

i forgot to say but this is cool and excellent

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

i finally got some azolla to put in my saucers and the bugs love it

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

that's cool, any other animals gonna feed on it or mostly bugs hanging out?

just used last of my collected rain (buckets till i can get a barrel/cistern thing going) so its time to fix the leaky well pump or use city water. spring gets real dry here before summer storms start

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

The Wisest Moron posted:

Sick blue Jay, I've never seen one in person before. I've got a loy of stellar jays near me. Last year they even decided to give me the honor of procreating on my property :)

I recently found out that stellar jays are really smart, like crows. They bring me mushroom gifts and leave them in my empty feeders. Will trade seeds for boomers. I also see one that has no tail that hangs around my yard. Its All rear end

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I recently found out that stellar jays are really smart, like crows. They bring me mushroom gifts and leave them in my empty feeders. Will trade seeds for boomers. I also see one that has no tail that hangs around my yard. Its All rear end

ya all corvids own

blue and stellar jays love peanuts and they cache them around like squirrels. get a big bag of peanuts and train them to sit in your hand and attack your enemies

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
A warming event begins for the Polar Vortex in the stratosphere, powered by the strong cross-polar ridging, as we head into the 2022 Spring season

Tl;Dr: Something extremely fucky is going to happen to the polar vortex in the next few weeks.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ok but what if we nuke the planet first?

:agesilaus:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

blatman posted:

yeah that's odin loving with you :milk:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

it fine

planet get both hot and cold

it cold now but get hot sometime so that fine

Quit worry about hot, cold. What next? Worry about light?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress yeah

my body is ready

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

150mm of rain overnight. well, maybe more because it overflowed my rain gauge. it hasn’t stopped raining since tuesday. the 2 dams in the catchment areas are at 150% capacity. both were at 40/50% on monday. my missus’s parents house is near the river and the water is creeping up very quickly

they’re looking at opening the dams to let some water out but that may bugger everyone down stream

lmao

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Apparently south-east Queensland has had roughly 6 months worth of rainfall in the last 48 hours.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

yes, and there’s still more coming

how good are warmer oceans?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

toggle posted:

yes, and there’s still more coming

how good are warmer oceans?

.....not

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Koirhor posted:

ok but what if we nuke the planet first?

:agesilaus:

Wow, didn't realize Putin has joined Fridays For Future with such zeal!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

toggle posted:

holy gently caress

our annual rainfall is like 350 - 500 mm (when we're not in a megadrought)

good luck with your tiny apocalypse

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

yeah its kicking off now. partner’s parents have been asked to evacuate. their house was flooded in the 2011 brisbane floods and they’re predicting it to be at that same level again either tonight or tomorrow. we can’t get there to help (they’re an hour drive away) as parts of the freeway are cut off

brisbane and surrounding areas may have sewerage in the water supply lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
An interesting speculation from another thread:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mentioned it before but Ukraine has some of the most fertile land in the world, and is likely to be mostly immune to climate change for quite a while (sandwiched between the Med and the Caucuses, it's going to have pretty reliable rain and sun even while everything else goes to poo poo). It's entirely possible that future historians will recognise this as the first climate change-driven war even if that's not anywhere near the top of the list of Russian priorities.

(There's the optimist in me, assuming there's going to be anyone able to write this poo poo down in a hundred years)

Knowing what Putin's said about Ukraine I don't for a moment think this is accurate but I enjoyed the conjecture, and didn't know that about Ukraine's resilience.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I believe syria is already recognized as the first general climate change driven conflict

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

An interesting speculation from another thread:

Knowing what Putin's said about Ukraine I don't for a moment think this is accurate but I enjoyed the conjecture, and didn't know that about Ukraine's resilience.

I’m not sure that I would buy the idea that Ukraine is resilient to climate change. They’re already seeing massive rainfall shortages

quote:

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/climate-change-threatens-the-ukrainian-breadbasket/

Water supply is probably the most crucial aspect of climate change in Ukraine. Freshwater reserves are in decline and expected to grow even scarcer in the coming years as droughts become more frequent. In 2019, the country saw 25% less precipitation than average, while the incidence of droughts has nearly doubled in the last 20 years. At the same time, the absence of a seasonal snow cover in much of Ukraine poses threats to winter crops.
If current trends continue, up to 70% of Ukrainian agricultural lands may soon require additional irrigation, which is over one-third more than today’s total requirement. In addition, certain areas in southern Ukraine are at risk of desertification. During the hot summer months, some agricultural regions in the south and west of Ukraine are already obliged to import additional freshwater supplies.

(Apologizes for the Atlantic council link but there’s no reason to assume they’d be exaggerating)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/energybants/status/1498005296299622408

thank you mr. putin

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

putin is still looking not just 50 but 200 years into the past. he went for crimea thinking it was the verdant paradise of the early 1800s, but lol no it's a desert fringed with trashy resort towns. now he will totally destroy ukraine in the process of trying to seize it, all that fertile soil will wash away and poison the black sea, and the unburied bones of my family will rise to the surface and strike russia down with plague

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

so help me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

putin took crimea cause its where half his navy is based

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

no poo poo you dumb loving morons

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It rained heavily almost non-stop for 4-5 days here in South East Queensland in Australia and while it has barely impacted my home directly, I'm just here thinking this could happen again any time for no reason. There's no real"reason" it started this time :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Real hurthling! posted:

putin took crimea cause its where half his navy is based
well that too i guess