Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wasn't expecting high-level incantations to need so much intelligence and arcane. Is that typical in these games? The preview video I watched called those dump stats for a faith build, but not really...

The level curve on Elden Ring is shaping up to be way higher than previous From games where most people ended up at like 80-120 by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Orv posted:

The level curve on Elden Ring is shaping up to be way higher than previous From games where most people ended up at like 80-120 by the end.

Cool, I was wondering if this was the case. That sounds good for hybrid stuff.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

my major complaint so far is that i'm 24 hours in and still using my starting armor and broadsword. this may have been a consequence of trying to go STR - i want to keep to medium weight but even with the equipment load talisman i'm not able to use anything really worthwhile, and the rest of my skills are languishing as i try to build up my stamina. getting pretty tired of all the really cool kit i find being DEX-based

some of these prizes are lackluster too. i brought down that terrifying bastard at the weaponmaster's shack and the reward is letting me buy bones? i've already got bones for days

I am a STR build, and yeah i've been running tissue armor. I did just use a regular sword for a while and tested out all my heavy armor that i collected and it didn't seem to do much? Hard to say.

If i could do it over again, i'd probably run two setups. One weapon that upgrades with smithing stones, one weapon that upgrades with somber smithing stones (the halbred from that early mounted boss is pretty good). One is a fast-swinging light weight STR weapon like a mace or hand axe, the other being a big bruiser greatsword or hammer. For the smaller weapon I'd use a greatshield with it as they own a lot of smaller enemies. I don't see any real point in upgrading shields if they aren't upgrading the guarding (whatever they're calling stability this go-round)

As far as faith goes with my str/faith i find that I'm not using it too much. more of a utility of having a ranged fireball, or extra heals, or poison cure, because I'm finding its much more beneficial to increase vigor/endurance/str. haven't really found any must-have faith spells but that is probably a consequence of being around 18 faith.

One thing about this game is it really lets you stack buffs. I eat the + damage meat, pop a flame liver, turtle neck, drink my flask, use my halbred buff, cast my long-lasting heal, as well as another elemental protection, plus the balderin (sp?) blessing thing from hugging that chick. Pretty sure they're staring to wear off once i'm done with it all :D

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Some people were wondering if there were cool Dex weapons in the game. Figured I'd share this timestamp in a video of unique weapon arts if you'd like to see a pretty sick one.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Uh um a new door opened up in the roundtable and now there is a new all red npc who looks like death and smells bad and he's surrounded by dead rotting bodies and he posts on reddit about age of consent laws

I got the strong impression if I keep talking to him he's gonna attack me, but I've played other souls games... what are my options fellow tarnished. I got the impression from another npc he'll go hostile
if I handle this poorly.

Even our girl Roderika doesn't like his stench I think

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 28, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Commander O'Neil can eat my entire rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Commander O'Neil can eat my entire rear end.

Horse.

Edit: He's also completely optional, the only purpose to him is to do a sidequest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Some people were wondering if there were cool Dex weapons in the game. Figured I'd share this timestamp in a video of unique weapon arts if you'd like to see a pretty sick one.

Also this one

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

but hole

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

do mid-bosses have drop rates? For instance I killed one of (very early game mid-boss) the Nights Calvary and several of the Pumpkin head guys and no weapon or armour drops. very few of these fools are giving me their stuff except for the foot soldiers.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Fort,
Night

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

MechaSeinfeld posted:

do mid-bosses have drop rates? For instance I killed one of (very early game mid-boss) the Nights Calvary and several of the Pumpkin head guys and no weapon or armour drops. very few of these fools are giving me their stuff except for the foot soldiers.

along these lines is there a gold or silver covetous serpent ring equivalent anyones found

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Barudak posted:

See the correction above, some overworld bosses allow it, but yes its a boss fight thing. Think of it as from making sure you always have an AI buddy available for any bossfight.

You can use it in a large amount of non-boss fight encounters in the overworld - they are great for the camps full of soldiers and similar groups as well. When you are in an area that ashes are usable, there's an icon on the left hand side of the screen, looks like a glowing grave or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good lord fighting anything that flies is bad, I need to use a Crossbow or something don't I?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sigher posted:

Good lord fighting anything that flies is bad, I need to use a Crossbow or something don't I?

In Lingrave on the small beach there's a guy who gives a weapon art that casts a gravity spell that flops anything flying to the ground

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone actually gotten invaded or called in as a counter-invader yet?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

N-n-no...

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

RBA Starblade posted:

Has anyone actually gotten invaded or called in as a counter-invader yet?

invaded yes, but the blue counter invade ring has never popped a single time yet

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The worst!! I hate when this happens

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

goferchan posted:

In Lingrave on the small beach there's a guy who gives a weapon art that casts a gravity spell that flops anything flying to the ground

God bless. Thanks.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

South Limgrave (Weeping Peninsula) is underrated imo and totally the natural progression after West/newbie Limgrave, although it's not obvious except for one Grace pointing hint. Highly recommend checking it out before the first big non-optional boss, lots of good enemies and loot.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

omg i just now realized that talismans are like "rings"

i thought they were for miracles like in the other games so I ignored them haha

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

re: input delay, i wonder if the lag from content streaming + the random FPS drops are part of the issue. the fight with the erdtree avatar was chugging a fair bit for me, and it felt like a complete gamble whether my dodge rolls would actually go through or not

it'd also explain why none of from's previous games seemed to have this issue for most people, since none of them were dealing with something on the sheer technical scale of elden ring

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dusting off one of my old favorites

Oxxidation posted:

tfw your opponent's Posture meter is near full and flashing red and you've got a sliver of life and no heals left and a wicked little devil in your brain is going "choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE"

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I started power stancing greatswords mostly as a gimmick but I ended up liking the moveset more than I expected. 1h r1 is relatively quick and is good for multiple enemies, power stance l1 does a ton of damage if you get a good opening, and 2h r1 is a good damage/speed compromise between the two (and is also good for narrow corridors). I'm sure there's many more practical weapons I could be using but I think I'll stick with this for a while since I'm having fun with it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

punch drunk posted:

I'm pretty sure this is from the path in the area with the little pot dudes and the broken floor that leads further down the main path of the dungeon. On the left side of the broken floor theres a dead body - run past that and hop from the wooden platform to a stone lip. You'll go along a path that eventually brings you above the pots and around the outside of the castle. The area in the picture was fine but below that theres another area where I got smoked. Might be for later since that area has the door that opens right to the Liftside Chamber.

Thanks! Can't believe I missed the ledge above the pots, complete with an item to catch my attention.

Next question, how do I get here:

Map for reference:

There's a stuck elevator at the 1 marker that I assume connects to that ledge, but I've looked all over and can't find any way down there.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Barudak posted:

Horse.

Edit: He's also completely optional, the only purpose to him is to do a sidequest.

Yeah immediately after I complained I won. :v:

I mean I emptied an entire quiver of arrows into his face from a distance like a complete coward but it worked!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, talisman pouches, thing I didn't know existed.

Are they like "plunge in the depths of hell and earn" or are they like the sacred tears just sitting out in some location.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The Grumbles posted:

Quick q - if both my weapon and shield have weapon arts, it seems to default to the shield's one. Is there a way to toggle to the weapon's ability without having to put the shield away?

a kitten posted:

Those dudes right at the start have been my main source after i burned through all mine, i kind of just got bored with looking at them though.

Is there any way to increase the block power of 2 handed weapons? Or parry with them for that matter? Bloodborne and Sekiro made me swear off shields, but without BBs rally system or Sekiro's super powerful block, i eat too much damage and then end up chugging all my potions. I should probably look around for a parrying off-hand and get better at switching between 1 and 2 hand modes and also get way better at dodging poo poo if not, and i suspect the answer is indeed "no".

There is an ash of war called something like 'none' or 'no ash of war' which you equip on your offhand shield or weapon, and it will let you use the mainhand ash of war while you have an offhand weapon equipped without needing to 2 hand equip the main hand. I bought it from the Warmaster in Limgrave but I think there is another vendor. Unfortunately it looks like you can't use two different Ashes of War on a main hand and offhand without going into 2H equip mode.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I like to mount on the run, so flipping to the horse and hitting X is easier than stopping to take both my thumbs off the sticks to hit Y+Dpad

I save pouch slots for things i can stand still for and don't need in the heat of combat

I was doing this at first, but I quickly found that I could use my index fingers for the pouch without taking thumbs off the sticks. This has been very useful for bosses that can knock you off the mount and require you to get back on immediately (the guys in front of the minor Erd Trees for example). My mount binding is triangle + dpad up, and i've been able to use this to do stuff like sprint away from a fight while changing weapons and spells as an astrologer, without losing control of the camera.

https://i.imgur.com/LA5son2.mp4

One thing that is definitely annoying though, is that when you have the telescope equipped, there is no 'cancel' button that I'm aware of - when you are mounted, the Circle button on the DS4 is 'sprint', but when you are on foot, it makes you take a step backwards! So have to be careful when standing on the edge of a cliff and thinking "Ok, I'm done here, I'll just press the button to get out of telescope mode and LAUNCH MYSELF OFF THE EDGE?!"

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 28, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tatsuta Age posted:

invaded yes, but the blue counter invade ring has never popped a single time yet

Shame

Also lol the ulcerated tree spirit. It's Bloodborne again! Broken hitboxes, broken arena, broken ai :thumbsup:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Are they like "plunge in the depths of hell and earn" or are they like the sacred tears just sitting out in some location.

I just got my first one from margit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

Ive only got two bonus so far, one from Margit and one for getting two runes

You bet your rear end its stamina items.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im getting a bit tired of the scimitars can anyone recommend some good dex weapons accessible fairly early on?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So, I've realized something about the combat and stance breaking that has kind of broken the game for me.

To set the stage, I am using a Lordsworn's Greatsword currently upgraded to +7 but this has been working pretty much the entire game regardless of upgrade level.

Almost every single enemy in the entire game, including many of the bosses, can be permanently stunlocked/flinched by doing something very, very simple:

Stand still, press A to jump, press R2. Then repeat.

No need for movement, no need for any other attacks. I have not found any non-boss/miniboss enemy that this does not work against so far, and it works against most minibosses and some bosses. Almost everything in the game flinches in a single jumping R2 from the Lordsworn's Greatsword and that jumping R2 is faster to come out than almost any enemy attack in the entire game.

It works with a lot of other weapons too, the LSG is hardly unique in this regard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Earwicker posted:

im getting a bit tired of the scimitars can anyone recommend some good dex weapons accessible fairly early on?

Depends what you mean early. The great epee has been my weapon for the entire game, as its one of the few weapons you can attack with from behind a shield. Its found near a half bowl shrine near agheel lake site of grace.

Edit: Neutral jump attacks are how I've cleared huge swaths of the game, they're very good. Some of the enemy invaders do neutral empty jumps too, mostly to piss you off so the designers knew they were good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Earwicker posted:

After suffering from using it as my main for ~12 hours, I finally learned that a rapier is an excellent critical hit dex weapon, not so good on horseback, group combat, or against flying creatures. It will absolutely wreck human enemies in a 1v1 scenario though.

So, there's really no way to prevent poison/death/petrify is there? I loaded up on immunity, and all I got was a larger bar that fills up before I get poisoned. I was really hoping there was some "protects against X" effect stuff that gave you some kind of hard resistance.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 28, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

this game's surprised me with the open world design a lot so far, but i don't think anything's topping sending me directly to the royal capital at the base of the erdtree to fight one of the stone golems on a precarious ledge

it turns out they're actually comically easy with the right weapon, though: two fully charged heavy attacks from the battleaxe to their shins will completely guard break them, and you can repeat the timing on their shin as they get up to stunlock them. i legit had to interrupt it only because i knocked him down so many times that he glitched into the stairs and couldn't be crit anymore

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

deep dish peat moss posted:

So, I've realized something about the combat and stance breaking that has kind of broken the game for me.

Yeah I have been punching way above my weight with the same move lol. Don't really mind though, I guess I found my personal easy mode.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so has anyone done some research into how the multiplayer scaling stuff works? i took my character with a +9 lordsworn longsword into my neophyte friend's game with no weapon upgrades to his name fresh out of the tutorial hole and my sword was taking three hits to kill the regular foot soldiers around the place instead of the now typical instagib. i assume it scales your weapons down to match the host's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't get it, how is this game even possible? I don't even think I have enough years left to finish it. I'm infiltrating Stormveil and it's literally the size of a whole god drat Soulsborne from what I can see? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but this is insane, I can't comprehend where to go next, I'm just winging my direction constantly and making progress and seeing new things.