Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Blastedhellscape posted:

Though...uh...it seems like predicting that Russia would invade Ukraine was always a pretty safe bet. Serious question: historically has there ever been a case where an army amassed on the boarder of another country, made all the signs that they were poised to invade, and then instead packed everything up and went home?

The US does it constantly. Every year the yankee menace practices war games around decapitating the north korean leadership just south of their border, Able Archer is a fun google. And the Russians did this build up every year as well. You can go back ten years and see articles about, are the russians about to invade? There are troops massing on the border! The build up was bigger this year and had non insane people questioning would you have this many mooks massing if you weren't going to do anything? I think it will be pretty interesting in like 10 years if we find out the invasion was planned and committed to a year in advance or if they just said gently caress these people, we're going in like a month ago.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Goofballs posted:

The US does it constantly. Every year the yankee menace practices war games around decapitating the north korean leadership just south of their border, Able Archer is a fun google. And the Russians did this build up every year as well. You can go back ten years and see articles about, are the russians about to invade? There are troops massing on the border! The build up was bigger this year and had non insane people questioning would you have this many mooks massing if you weren't going to do anything? I think it will be pretty interesting in like 10 years if we find out the invasion was planned and committed to a year in advance or if they just said gently caress these people, we're going in like a month ago.

Yeah this is CSPAM.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MadJackal posted:

Yeah this is CSPAM.

what's cspam

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Felix should do a this is sus episode with Nick.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clip-On Fedora posted:

No I’m sorry Chapo Traphouse has been defeated forever now go back to watching Steven Colbert and SNL please thank you

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1497794056147161088

Hilarious!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MadJackal posted:

Yeah this is CSPAM.

:wrong:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MadJackal posted:

Yeah this is CSPAM.

CSPAM is often right, though.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

MadJackal posted:

Yeah this is CSPAM.

MadJackal posted:

Happy Thanksgiving.

Just a bookmark for later: Matt predicted that Bernie is going to win Iowa and New Hampshire, then Obama is going to "talk some sense into people." It is impossible for him to consider that Obama will endorse the final Democratic candidate, regardless of their positions.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I honestly do not care if predictions made on Chapo Trap House are right or wrong, the episode that got me and basically everyone else into the show was them talking about their extremely wrong prediction of who would win the general election for president in 2016.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MadJackal posted:

Yeah this is CSPAM.

What is your end goal? Who’s patreon do you see us all leaving Chapo’s for once we realize how wrong we’ve been?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MadJackal posted:

Yeah this is CSPAM.

Ukraine is doing international brigades. Fyi if you want to become Caro 2.0.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Blastedhellscape posted:

Though...uh...it seems like predicting that Russia would invade Ukraine was always a pretty safe bet. Serious question: historically has there ever been a case where an army amassed on the boarder of another country, made all the signs that they were poised to invade, and then instead packed everything up and went home? I guess at some points during the cold war, and in an idyllic world deescalating and standing down would be a common thing, but it seems like even if you start out amassing the army for strategic intimidation reasons there comes a tipping point where you feel like you're forced to start a war or just eat a huge loss of money and resources with nothing to show for it, so war becomes inevitable.

Everyone was expecting them to annex the pro-Russia breakaway regions not necessarily occupy the rest of Ukraine.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

net work error posted:

Me too OP. Feel free to post spoilers

Spoiler: there will be a goon in the front row in a track suit laughing at all the jokes.

Also: people are not going to realize they need a vaccine or negative test to get in the venue and are going to be very upset

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Live show was very funny. Hateful Eight of Georgia political figures, some show and tell of pictures from the tour so far, and a spec script for an episode of Justified. As live podcasts go, they don't get much better.

Really enjoyed the music DJd by Chris before the show. He's got really good taste.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

NienNunb posted:

What is your end goal? Who’s patreon do you see us all leaving Chapo’s for once we realize how wrong we’ve been?

The crew royally hosed up a prediction about a historical event. Doubled down, smug pricked this for a few episodes and then were proven wrong yet again.

Offsite discussions of the last couple releases aren't as forgiving as SA's, and I like pointing out blind partisanship.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

MadJackal posted:

I like pointing out blind partisanship.
From the core idea on down, this statement makes you a dummy.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

MadJackal posted:

The crew royally hosed up a prediction about a historical event. Doubled down, smug pricked this for a few episodes and then were proven wrong yet again.

Offsite discussions of the last couple releases aren't as forgiving as SA's, and I like pointing out blind partisanship.

holy poo poo you’re reading multiple sites about this you loving loser?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh my god can you believe the incalculable damage done by Will Menaker guessing wrong about a political event on his podcast? He’s gotta be more responsible with his opinions, someone could get hurt!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MadJackal posted:

What the gently caress does blind partisanship mean in the context of a comedy podcast? They're not a loving political party.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Please permaban everyone who has ever posted in the Trump thread.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MadJackal posted:

Glad the offsites are holding these podcast hosts accountable

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MadJackal posted:

They didn't though. Even in the most recent episode they talk explicitly as "Assuming they don't full invade then X". the only smug pricking was the opening 5 minutes (after the 10 minute Post Script intro) where they were explicitly joking. You gotta actually listen to the eps.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

MadJackal posted:

yeah drat you know what you’re so right, we’re gonna swear off chapo and close this thread now, no need to check back in, thank you for your enlightenment

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I only listened because of peer pressure.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I enjoy this is sus a lot but Felix has some of the most myopic, cynical analysis of culture and tv I’ve ever heard

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I enjoy this is sus a lot BECAUSE Felix has some of the most myopic, cynical analysis of culture and tv I’ve ever heard

ftfy

Also he just straight has really basic tastes. I’m sorry to everyone itt, but Justified is a stupid boring show for dads and Felix thinking it’s the pinnacle of television is really funny and genuinely made me respect him and his opinions less and now Felix is my least favorite Chapo.

Just do the drat This is Sus about the dumb bird cartoon, you dingbat.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 28, 2022

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

MadJackal posted:

lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just learning this show has a political agenda. I thought it was about The Noid.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If theres one thing I despise, its blind partisanship. Now if you'll excuse me, the Ghost of Kyiv needs me on the frontlines of the posting battle

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MadJackal posted:

I just saw you in the Ukraine war thread get really pissed when someone said the morale of the average Ukrainian is probably lower than the twitter memes suggest.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Chad Jihad posted:

If theres one thing I despise, its blind partisanship. Now if you'll excuse me, the Ghost of Kyiv needs me on the frontlines of the posting battle
Virgil is the Ghost of Kyiv

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I just saw you in the Ukraine war thread get really pissed when someone said the morale of the average Ukrainian is probably lower than the twitter memes suggest.

Imagine how much higher it would be if Will was able to pinpoint exactly when the invasion would begin.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Virgil is the Ghost of Kyiv

I thought he was the ghost of bad faith?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MadJackal posted:

Are you still pretending to be a doctor so you can feign being a covid expert or did you give that up?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yestermoment posted:

I thought he was the ghost of bad faith?
You can be a ghost of multiple things

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bust Rodd posted:

ftfy

Also he just straight has really basic tastes. I’m sorry to everyone itt, but Justified is a stupid boring show for dads and Felix thinking it’s the pinnacle of television is really funny and genuinely made me respect him and his opinions less and now Felix is my least favorite Chapo.

Just do the drat This is Sus about the dumb bird cartoon, you dingbat.

It's all true.

The most entertaining bits to me are when Felix takes a thought that clearly came to him on the spot (TV began getting too self-aware in 2013) and expounds on it for half an hour with complete conviction. It's unironically good.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Are you still pretending to be a doctor so you can feign being a covid expert or did you give that up?

Now look heeyuh, those good gentle country folk died with the goat testicles I sewed into their body, not because of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It's all true.

The most entertaining bits to me are when Felix takes a thought that clearly came to him on the spot (TV began getting too self-aware in 2013) and expounds on it for half an hour with complete conviction. It's unironically good.

I think the format was better when he'd go in blind on a current popular show and just watch a few episodes. Weirdly it seemed like he often came away away with a more interesting and better-shaped thesis for those than these where he's watching full seasons and basically attempting a full series synopsis.