Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That's pretty excellent. Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Always wanted to do that for my DR but :effort: Great work, it looks perfect. Man I want a DR650 Sumo :sigh:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

That looks aero as gently caress and ready for the TT. How do you see past?

With my eyes ya ding dong

It's actually not quite as far up into my sight line as it looks. I probably lose 6 feet of visibility in front of me? Maybe a little more. But it's narrow enough that just moving my head out of line a little bit either side gives me enough visibility. Standing up, I can see my tire, so that's good. My original template was quite a bit taller, so I trimmed incrementally until it was out of the way for standing up. I'm considering it a work in progress, so if it turns out the lost visibility while seated is annoying or a danger, I've got no compunctions about taking the cutting wheel to it again to shorten it. This stuff is actually really nice material to work with, it just takes time.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That looks more like a KLR accessory.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well there's a reason I put more effort into my post about it in the dadbike thread.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Added RG Racing frame sliders, new Power 5s, a lithium battery, and Termi slip ons to the Monster 1200. A good day in the shop.

Protecting the main radiator which sticks WAY out

Pre-blue sticker pull

Video with sound here:
https://imgur.com/tkYgymU

Also added the fender plate with the divot for Ohlins with the reservoir. Got a take off from a 1200S and will be installing it as soon as it's rebuild is done. :getin:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beautiful aside from the sliders, but that's just personal taste.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Drove 11 hours to pick it up from Detroit.

Finally got one of my dream bikes thanks to the replacement Tuono being a giant sack of poo poo and is in the shop for the second time after less than 10 hours of riding.

Streetfighter 1098s with custom paint, midnight purple

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Razzled posted:

Finally got one of my dream bikes thanks to the replacement Tuono being a giant sack of poo poo and is in the shop for the second time after less than 10 hours of riding.

Got drat

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Razzled posted:

Holy gently caress. This is amazing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

gently caress yeah

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm going to need more pictures of that paint for scientific purposes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Razzled posted:

I'm not usually one for streetfighters but jesus f'in christ that is HOT

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Razzled posted:

Oh wow :allears:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It is very pretty.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

took it for a ride at my usual illegal haunts to make sure I put everything back together correctly. I did. except I forgot to tighten my handlebars (had to pull the scotts to pull the tank) all the way so when I jumped it off a pretty small dirt ledge my handlebars moved themselves :D

e: fixed pic

right arm fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 5, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

bottom end looks a little more like a bottom end again

Clutch and everything still out but I’ll assemble that when it’s back in the frame. Maybe top end today too, I guess we’ll see how brave I feel.

This has been a fairly straightforward process. Only complaint I have is that since I’m basically transplanting into a donor engine I’m forever having to second guess whether the part that’s lying around is a spare from my old wreck or whether it’s something I just forgot to put in.

But I guess better to check twice than forget something.

E: OK I’m like 99% sure that this is the case, and partzilla’s diagram seems to back that up, but when assembling a DRZ400S cylinder onto the bottom end, are there only two locator pins on the left side of the engine?

Just feels weird to me that only one side has the locating pins but whatever. The other holes are smaller so yeah..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 6, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

some kinda jackal posted:

E: OK I’m like 99% sure that this is the case, and partzilla’s diagram seems to back that up, but when assembling a DRZ400S cylinder onto the bottom end, are there only two locator pins on the left side of the engine?

Just feels weird to me that only one side has the locating pins but whatever. The other holes are smaller so yeah..

Yes it only uses two and they're both on oneside. Allows for *some* misalignment with the other case half without binding on the cylinder body or causing weird fitment issues wrt to the crank/its bearings/piston/jug and the individual assembling it all.

shot from the one I had:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I finally got around to putting the engine for my blue tenere back together. had the cylinder shipped out to be bored after faffing about with it myself.
Hopefully it uses less than 1.4Liters of oil for 1000km now..

Things I've learned:
gently caress boring/honing yourself, just find a shop that does it and offload it straight away.
Wait to order the new piston head until its back from the shop, as I'm stuck with a 95.25 head when the shop found that 95.25 was not enough and needed to go to 95.50..
Double check doubious timing marks when setting cam shaft/timing chain especially if you are tired, so you dont have to do it twice.
If its factory to use gasket sealant you need way less than you think.
I also found that a local shop is real slow with getting exhausts from arrow even if they're an importer. next time i'll just straight away buy it directly from someone on ebay that has it in stock in stead.

Still got some stuff left, but all easy non inside the engine stuff that I've done before.
Install carb and air box. Put on new tires, new brake lines, the side pannier luggage rack, new exhaust, new mirrors, new bulbs.

Then the tenere is done and the summer project can start when its not freezing outside. A heated workshop with room for a side car had been nice.

The summer/when its not freezing outside project:

The gt550 is a much better sidecar candidate than the tenere ever was. Shaft drive for less rust with the ice and salt it will encounter. Drum rear brake to easier fashion a split to the drum brake on the sidecar, less suspension travel for dive with the extra side car weight and classic frame for easier mounting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome awesome awesome, thanks @cursedshitbox.

I got the top end fitted and it's going really well. I didn't button it up and torque it down yet because I want to pull it apart one more time once the circlips I ordered from suzuki for the piston arrive. Call me paranoid but I'm going to feel really stupid if I put all this time into the engine and it's for nothing because an old circlip from a 40k+ km piston fails.

I also found a killer deal on an OEM exhaust locally and picked it up. I have the Yoshimura I can put back on but I'll go stock for a while. I'm 100% sure I'm not going to miss whatever extra "power" the Yoshi gave me, and if it's a little quieter then awesome. Just need to remember to order a few new exhaust gaskets.

I dunno gang, I think this is going really well. The only part I guess I should still do while the top end is apart is to do a valve clearance check.

I'm nervous as gently caress about riding an engine I'm basically putting together from .. well, not scratch, but putting together myself, but I said the same thing about being nervous as gently caress about riding on brakes I did myself, or on a swingarm I replaced the bearings on myself, or the fork stem I did myself, and those worked out well. I mean this is a little more delicate with a little more room for error, but so far I'm just going to keep checking torque, making sure I'm not missing pieces, and asking questions. I learned my lesson from the kickstarter where if I have a "huh this doesn't seem right" moment it's probably a good indication I should stop and ask a question so that's my immediate philosophy right now.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Supradog posted:

The gt550 is a much better sidecar candidate than the tenere ever was. Shaft drive for less rust with the ice and salt it will encounter. Drum rear brake to easier fashion a split to the drum brake on the sidecar, less suspension travel for dive with the extra side car weight and classic frame for easier mounting.

Getting the brake set appropriately on the sidecar may be entertaining. When I was doing sidecar research, it seemed like most of the sidecar grognards said they weren't really worth the hassle unless the sidecar rig itself was gigantic, and it was mostly due to the linkage being a pain in the rear end to tune appropriately, so you're getting some stopping power out of it without it being so aggressive the entire setup yanks hard to the right every time you touch the rear brake

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those grognards need to try the front brakes of a gs550 with an extra 100kg attached. The drum brake will be the most effective braking system on the outfit.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It refused to start one day, so I ordered a new carburetor. Cheap Chinese Mikuni copies @ $26 each... irresistible. I'd done this before and the one I got worked right out of the box. Not this time!

Settings seem all wrong. Air pilot screw was like 7 turns out, who knows where the needle clip is set (bogs on anything over 1/4 throttle; top speed effectively 38 mph after an acceleration crawl). The experience is so different from my first purchase that I thought the problem was something else: the old and slightly distorted airbox-to-carburetor boot. (Back in 2012, when I bought this, I experimented with removing the airbox intake horn which restricts airflow, and it was bogging down hard just like it is now. Instant lean condition.)

Today, I tried something different. I'd already tried opening the choke at full throttle, and it just kept bogging. What if it isn't lean, but... rich? Remembering ten years ago, I removed the airbox airhorn again before riding home from work tonight...

Wow, instant improvement. It actually has acceleration up to half throttle, and top speed went up by about 5 mph. Not stock performance, thought, which I'd like to get back. (The uncovered intake is also really noisy.) Will have to play with the needle clip now, in the opposite direction that I thought that I had to move it.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Razzled posted:

sweet frame design

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NeuralSpark posted:

Added RG Racing frame sliders, new Power 5s, a lithium battery, and Termi slip ons to the Monster 1200. A good day in the shop.

Protecting the main radiator which sticks WAY out

Pre-blue sticker pull

Video with sound here:
https://imgur.com/tkYgymU

Also added the fender plate with the divot for Ohlins with the reservoir. Got a take off from a 1200S and will be installing it as soon as it's rebuild is done. :getin:

nice frame :smileyfrog:

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this one has a cool frame design too

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cursedshitbox posted:

Yes it only uses two and they're both on oneside. Allows for *some* misalignment with the other case half without binding on the cylinder body or causing weird fitment issues wrt to the crank/its bearings/piston/jug and the individual assembling it all.

shot from the one I had:

chinese steel...nice...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

chinese steel...nice...

Hot rods? Lasted about 30k-mi under my abuse.
Everything broke but that engine

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Slide Hammer posted:

It refused to start one day, so I ordered a new carburetor. Cheap Chinese Mikuni copies @ $26 each... irresistible. I'd done this before and the one I got worked right out of the box. Not this time!

Settings seem all wrong. Air pilot screw was like 7 turns out, who knows where the needle clip is set (bogs on anything over 1/4 throttle; top speed effectively 38 mph after an acceleration crawl). The experience is so different from my first purchase that I thought the problem was something else: the old and slightly distorted airbox-to-carburetor boot. (Back in 2012, when I bought this, I experimented with removing the airbox intake horn which restricts airflow, and it was bogging down hard just like it is now. Instant lean condition.)

Today, I tried something different. I'd already tried opening the choke at full throttle, and it just kept bogging. What if it isn't lean, but... rich? Remembering ten years ago, I removed the airbox airhorn again before riding home from work tonight...

Wow, instant improvement. It actually has acceleration up to half throttle, and top speed went up by about 5 mph. Not stock performance, thought, which I'd like to get back. (The uncovered intake is also really noisy.) Will have to play with the needle clip now, in the opposite direction that I thought that I had to move it.

The jets in carbs are matched to the application, you can't just buy the same model and assume the default jets are right for everything it could potentially be used in

Edit: Here's stock specs so long as they never used a different carb

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 8, 2022

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Dog Case posted:

The jets in carbs are matched to the application, you can't just buy the same model and assume the default jets are right for everything it could potentially be used in

Edit: Here's stock specs so long as they never used a different carb

You're right, although, the ebay auction proudly touted the carb as a direct replacement for the GN125 (same as the prior one that I had bought). You can even see them now by searching for "GN125 carburetor" on ebay. There's a lot of them. Even if it's junk, $26 for an entire carburetor is a screaming deal. Might as well buy another as a cool paperweight.

Those carb specs are handy. Thanks. I'm wondering if this carb were put together by a new recruit or something. I set the pilot air screw to 2 turns out, and it's still not quite good (too rich), so I wonder if the pilot jet and even the main jet (for the bogging) is incorrect.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is there like a 1000 piece jet kit you can get on Aliexpress to just round out the experience of trying to sort out a Chinese mystery carburetor?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I am disappointed to report that the answer to that seems to be "no."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I didn't realize a carb that is all set up right out of the box is a thing anyone expected tbh. Especially as that's nigh-impossible with small engines anyway no matter who put the carb together out of what; individual engines vary so much.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Had a dream last night that I came home from a business trip to find both the bikes tipped over on their sides and oil leaking from the headlights.

That’s the closest I’ve come to touching the bikes since I covered them in the garage back in December.

Stupid winter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

First it's the blinker fluid, then the headlight oil.

This maintenance nightmare never ends.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dreamed this morning that I was riding a tiny motorized unicycle (wheel not much bigger than my head) on my city's main freeway and at one point I nearly got encircled by a "long boi" multi-articulated bus like it was playing a game of Snake and I was one of the apples

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

By the way, is there a good screwdriver for reaching pilot jets deep down in their recess? I mean, you can get in there with a normal small, thin screwdriver, but the jets usually have these thick slots cut into them that give a normal screwdriver's blade plenty of unwanted play, especially if you need some torque to unstick an old jet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I got a normal screwdriver with the right thickness blade, and just ground the sides down until it fits down those ~7mm holes.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slide Hammer posted:

The conclusion of this repair:

I replaced the main jet in the new, suspect carb with the one from my original carb, which was even stamped ""102.5", the correct size. I gained another 5 mph top speed, with much better throttle response all around, although there was still chugging at the last quarter of throttle travel on the highway, keeping me out of the good 60 mph zone.

Getting closer, I decided to try fiddling with the needle and needle jet, but two of the chinesium screws at the diaphragm cap stripped. At that point, I went to plan B, and disassembled the little choke lever mechanism to get at the choke plunger seal, which was something that I had noticed had cracked and was nearly crumbling on my first ebay carb, the good one. Putting it on my good ebay carb, I fitted that to the engine and it ran great. Started right up, perfect acceleration like I was used to. (When it was off of the engine, I had also taken that chance to clean the jets in the float bowl, so it was nice and refreshed.)

I'm kinda put off with how lucky I was with that first carb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just got an email from my storage place saying bike's gotta be out by April 15th unless you're getting it worked on. Nature is healing :toot: