Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I thought Belarus was already involved. Wasn't one of the Ka-35s Ka-52s downed on the first day Belarusian?

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
Hahaha holy gently caress. You know boys, the last two times we tried to drop paratroopers the transports got smoked with all hands aboard, but they say the third time's the charm.

If I was a Belorussian paratrooper I'd be paying someone to break my ankle.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jokers Gamble posted:

Hahaha holy gently caress. You know boys, the last two times we tried to drop paratroopers the transports got smoked with all hands aboard, but they say the third time's the charm.

You joke, but in the days of imperial Russia they were actually people in the villages that would do that as a service, to hobble someone, to prevent them from being conscripted.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Third time is gonna go real well, especially now that Ukraine has a bunch of new(to them) fighters donated from other countries. Its gonna go down like Gandalf and the riders of rohirrim.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

You joke, but in the days of imperial Russia they were actually people in the villages that would do that as a service, to hobble someone, to prevent them from being conscripted.

Sure beats the gently caress out of getting turned into flaming wreckage in some Ukrainian field.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1498023662695419910

It's probably not what it appears to be at first glance, but I would die laughing if there was a spree of Ukrainian farmers just hitching Russian armor up to their tractors and loving off down the road with them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jokers Gamble posted:

"At least they're not our guys this time, so we can tell people that Glorious :ussr: not suffer any casualties!"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jokers Gamble posted:

Sure beats the gently caress out of getting turned into flaming wreckage in some Ukrainian field.

Plus in those days a term of service was 25 years. Families held fake funerals when their kids were leaving because they never expected to see them again.

https://twitter.com/inteldoge/status/1498136793488805890?s=21

The Anti-Disinformation Center confirms that Ukrainians at French Foreign Legion will go to Ukraine with full ammunition.

French Foreign Legion, which consists of highly qualified soldiers, lets Ukrainians that want to protect their motherland come back to Ukraine. They will be able to take their full ammunition.

The President of Ukraine also informed that Ukraine would form an additional territorial defense battalion for international soldiers.

https://t.me/verkhovnaradaofukraine/258

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 28, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Vernon, Florida had an economy based around dozens of people mutilating themselves to remove limbs. Except that was an insurance fraud scheme rather than to evade the draft.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/farnazfassihi/status/1498142258226470916?t=pVyheFB5M7k6DcMkYBjQNg&s=19

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Vernon, Florida had an economy based around dozens of people mutilating themselves to remove limbs. Except that was an insurance fraud scheme rather than to evade the draft.

That seems very very on brand for Florida.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Confirmed: Ukraine bags one Slavic Crime Yacht.... in Mallorca!

https://twitter.com/iguardans/status/1497982822736437254

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1498137793003929601?s=21

Rest in piss ruble

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Having been to Vernon several times, none of this is surprising. Always seemed to be a burned out gas station or two on that back way from Albany to PCB. I mean when you make Chipley look civilized...

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

[url]

The Anti-Disinformation Center confirms that Ukrainians at French Foreign Legion will go to Ukraine with full ammunition.

French Foreign Legion, which consists of highly qualified soldiers, lets Ukrainians that want to protect their motherland come back to Ukraine. They will be able to take their full ammunition.

The President of Ukraine also informed that Ukraine would form an additional territorial defense battalion for international soldiers.

https://t.me/verkhovnaradaofukraine/258

https://twitter.com/armeedeterre/status/1497899285731586051?s=21

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 28, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Discussion Quorum posted:

I thought Belarus was already involved. Wasn't one of the Ka-35s Ka-52s downed on the first day Belarusian?

Yea I thought they were involved since day 1 with the northern attacks from Russia, but maybe not after all.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
How much rubles can I get for ISK?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perhaps there’s a miscommunication between Ukraine and France.

In further news about how hosed Russia’s economy is going to be in a little while.

https://twitter.com/howardjshatz/status/1498146942005690373?s=21

Russia’s gonna have to use loving gold or Yuan to buy poo poo soon.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Thread with arguments as to why Russia gon' lose dis:
https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1497993363076915204

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Hey, I'll be the first person to put my hand up and say that, a week ago, I thought that the Russians were going to roll over Ukraine in a matter of days. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong and I hope to continue to be in this regard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It seems hard to believe they could lose (the invasion, not counting the insurgency driving them out which seems certain if they stayed to occupy) with how much of a numerical superiority they have. But it sure does seem like their army sucks rear end.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Naked Bear posted:

Hey, I'll be the first person to put my hand up and say that, a week ago, I thought that the Russians were going to roll over Ukraine in a matter of days. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong and I hope to continue to be in this regard.

I'm pretty sure everyone in gip did.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone in gip did.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

I didn’t think their weather was going to be raining javelins, or that they were going to successfully repel Russian airfield seizures.

Right now, it feels like the Russians were overestimated while the Ukrainians were underestimated. They’re also seemingly only playing to their advantages, and have a strong grasp of OPSEC. Like I said earlier, we haven’t heard poo poo about where their army is, all we see is evidence that some vengeful fire-spirits absolutely tore through multiple Russian and Chechen convoys.

they bagged a loving Chechen general ffs, then sent his buddies home crying

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Also, I'm not religious, but I'm pretty sure I'm subconsciouly praying for today's peace talks being fruitful, and the reason for the stopped advance on Kyiv.

Because the other two possible explanations I do not like very much at all.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

There's also a lot of historical precedent of a dedicated populace wreaking all kinds of havoc on an invader. A lot of that precedent comes from THIS invader, when they were on the defence, ffs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, I'm not religious, but I'm pretty sure I'm subconsciouly praying for today's peace talks being fruitful, and the reason for the stopped advance on Kyiv.

Because the other two possible explanations I do not like very much at all.

There's also the other possibility of troops declaring wholesale "gently caress this, we're out," though I don't know how likely this is.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I had faith that even if Russia did win the war they would lose the occupation. Turns out they most likely going to lose the war.

Good.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Are there any open source estimates of how much of Ukraine's military forces got taken out during that initial opening blitz, and the subsequent fighting? Without trying to be too ghoulish about it, I'm just wondering if this level of resistance is them fighting at, say, 75%, or something more like 10%. With the talk of being lent more fighter jets I'm assuming at least a decent chunk of what they had got blown up on the ground but I haven't seen any real info on that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

For sure, especially with the image of their army being built to overrun Western Europe against full strength NATO resistance it seemed trivial that they could go 100km. Add in news stories about all the modernization they’ve been doing and seemed like an odd bet they wouldn’t swat aside local forces. Except I’m guessing that when invading west Germany their leaders would not have pretended it was a training exercise.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Just watched German chancellor Scholz address to the Bundestag in full, about doubling their defense budget, sending lethal aid to Ukraine and clamping down in every conceivable way to ensure that Russia is as isolated as possible in every way possible. Complete 180 from a week or two ago (I think? Things are moving so fast I'm losing track of time) when Nord Stream 2 was still very much a thing that was going to happen. Also got the vibe that he kinda sorta telegraphed that everyone should brace for what could be a very long and ugly conflict. He kinda looked like he had just seen a ghost.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Just watched German chancellor Scholz address to the Bundestag in full, about doubling their defense budget, sending lethal aid to Ukraine and clamping down in every conceivable way to ensure that Russia is as isolated as possible in every way possible. Complete 180 from a week or two ago (I think? Things are moving so fast I'm losing track of time) when Nord Stream 2 was still very much a thing that was going to happen. Also got the vibe that he kinda sorta telegraphed that everyone should brace for what could be a very long and ugly conflict. He kinda looked like he had just seen a ghost.

I mean, it's a shame he had to do a 180 at all, but at least he's doing it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This is the picture of the Ukraine war. This is what I want everyone to remember and see in their mind years from now. I wish I had a social media presence capable of disseminating it, because there’s really no better picture.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Naked Bear posted:

Fully loving agreed.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, it's a shame he had to do a 180 at all, but at least he's doing it.

The fact so many across the world are actually DOING things for once because of all this is mindblowing.
poo poo its not even been a week yet.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/02/25/tucker-carlson-russia-ukraine-putin/

Looks like the payments stopped coming once SWIFT got cut off. God I hate Tucker, little loving weasel.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

How nice of the trash to come in their own dumpster.

Now here's a good molotov target.

The info isn’t included in that tweet but the main WaPo story has a caption for the photo “ Ukrainians are driven to the front line to fight in Kharkiv on Saturday. (Salwan Georges/The Post).” So let’s wish them safe inferno free travels.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is the picture of the Ukraine war. This is what I want everyone to remember and see in their mind years from now. I wish I had a social media presence capable of disseminating it, because there’s really no better picture.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Naked Bear posted:

I have zero military experience, just a history hobby.

I was extremely uncertain how this would turn out. In my wildest dreams, I was hoping for at least a Winter War 2, where Ukraine would be able to bloody Russia's nose enough that they might get a livable compromise - but Ukraine's terrain seemed far too open for any kind of similar performance against a superior modern army.
It did seem like Russia didn't bring enough troops to besiege cities.
For a few days before things kicked off, I had the notion it was brinksmanship and misdirection, so the world would sigh with relief when Putin "merely" announced that Belarus would be reintegration with Russia.

But this, this is absolutely unreal. Potemkin's Army.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This section in future history books will be known as the Great Idiotic War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The info isn’t included in that tweet but the main WaPo story has a caption for the photo “ Ukrainians are driven to the front line to fight in Kharkiv on Saturday. (Salwan Georges/The Post).” So let’s wish them safe inferno free travels.

Well poo poo. Pretty stupid picture choice to tack on to the article.