Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like Last of the Mohicans as my favorite Michael Mann Movie. Wes Studi owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Arc Hammer posted:

No wrong answers in the Mann filmography, except maybe Blackhat. Even that had some good scenes though.

Loved Wes Studi in Heat too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Collateral was dope

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Oh, so you like Lindsay's intelligent deep dives into theater and film presented with professional editing and clips but don't care for Jenny prattling on vlogging style about hotels and direct to video children's cartoons while just dead-eyed staring into a camera

You loving sexist piece of poo poo. I hope you get drafted into the cock and ball torture wars.

I feel like I'd be equally annoyed as a woman content creator for goobers rushing to my defense that no criticism is valid, I'm perfect and it's my boobs they're angry at vs actual misogynist dorks.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Doing some random searches for something that reminded me of Starship and I found this gem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5EY-_kkhgM

Solar Force. AKA "Lunarcop". Wait... That's the alt title?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Pre Rec Bloc decided the winner :3:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Sagebrush posted:

who are you?

Ah, the classic "I'm a pretty big deal on the forums, unlike you" self owning offence.

I'll tell you who I am motherfucker, I'm the gingerbread munching, piss fingered, human growth homunculus that's here to kick your rear end and watch rlm videos. And I'm almost ALWAYS out of rlm videos

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I think it’s my least favourite Mann, I found it shockingly boring.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

iiit stinks!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Everyone knows Waterworld is Kevin Costner's greatest role, but realtalk, what's runner up? That Robin Hood movie bores me to fuckin tears as well.

Field of Dreams?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Everyone knows Waterworld is Kevin Costner's greatest role, but realtalk, what's runner up? That Robin Hood movie bores me to fuckin tears as well.

Field of Dreams?

Bull Durham

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Field of Dreams?

Man of Steel

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

tin cup

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kingo Ligma posted:

Ah, the classic "I'm a pretty big deal on the forums, unlike you" self owning offence.

I'll tell you who I am motherfucker, I'm the gingerbread munching, piss fingered, human growth homunculus that's here to kick your rear end and watch rlm videos. And I'm almost ALWAYS out of rlm videos

go back to 2004

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Red Rocket is so pathetic and grim. Really good

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Field of Dreams?

Open Range

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Kingo Ligma posted:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
why did they call the movie 'scream' anyways? really would have been more precise to call it 'Aaauuugh!!!'

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Last of the Mohicans owns

The soundtrack owns

That final fight with old dude just obliterating the bad guy loving seriously owns

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Mozi posted:

why did they call the movie 'scream' anyways? really would have been more precise to call it 'Aaauuugh!!!'

Oof : the bludgeoning

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Trollologist posted:

I skipped the "Extreme Clickbait Darth Vader's Suit!" Video for the longest time because I didn't want another long winded star wars discussion.

That was a huge mistake. It's probably one of if not my most favorite things RLM has ever done.

Trust in the power of the WooDoo hide.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

the S2 finale of Hannibal somehow managed to blend together disgust, triumph, relief, revulsion and physical attraction all together into one weird emotion

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spencer is very good. as a monarchy-hater I can appreciate the craft. looks amazing and K-Stew is excellent

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had no idea Hannibal got into the movies. That's a silly choice.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

In my bad-movie hunting, I recently stumbled onto something I remembered from watching USA's Up All Night when I was a kid in the 90s...

Dr. Alien (aka: I Was a Teenage Sex Mutant)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkdrzvjqRbQ

The plot is that aliens give a shot to this nerd which turn him into a super-stud (in the most cheesy, 80s-movie way possible). It also causes him to grow a forehead protrusion that makes him irresistible to women. This movie feels like someone saw From Beyond and thought to themselves "I bet I could make this a boner comedy"

Guess who directed this intensely weird movie...

Fuckin' David DeCoteau.

It's on Tubi right now, because apparently Tubi is the true home of all trash cinema.

https://tubitv.com/movies/469617/dr-alien

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

priznat posted:

I re-watched Manhunter (1986) today and I am convinced now it is my favourite Michael Mann film, which surprised me because I loving love Heat. It seems like an art movie with some just awesome shots, and a surprising number of dolly-in shots and pans etc. It's just so loving good and looks incredible. The editing is wild too with the weird abrupt cuts in the middle of a shootout makes it seem even more chaotic. The cast is just perfect, especially Noonan. Love the soundtrack too, with Prime Movers, Shriekback and of course Iron Butterfly.

Augh I just had to gush about it a bit.

I hate doing "My top 10 movies" or whatever because there's a lot of amazing films and ranking them is dumb. But I break my rule for Manhunter. It's my absolute favorite movie. All the stuff you mentioned is just amazing. I love it so loving much.

priznat posted:

Miami Vice is probably the Mann film that comes closest in feel with whole "dream" feeling of it. It's really underrated.

Miami Vice looks and feels so good. Like, I wish there was a way to inject that feel into my brain.

edit: Since we're on the Mann topic, check out LA Takedown. It's a TV movie Mann did back in 89. It's based on his same Heat screenplay so it's basically a beta version of Heat.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 28, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
maybe it's just me then but having not watched a lot of other michael mann movies i thought Manhunter was well shot and had some nice moments but was otherwise kind of unexceptional. like if you're not going 'wooooah' while watching a guy looking out a car window in the rain, it's not for you

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
This week's Family Guy was significantly less terrible than usual, much tighter writing, still woefully mediocre but not offensively bad

Lois brings Quagmire to her high school reunion because she is embarrassed of Peter and Peter and the family order a pizza even though Lois told them not to and the pizza man dies in their bathroom so they try to cover it up weekend at bernie's style.

Guest starring Mike Stoklasa
https://i.imgur.com/KXdFub3.mp4

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 28, 2022

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Squid Game is getting fresh coverage since two of the main actors won SAG awards last night. That had me scratching my head though, since I wouldn't have thought two korean actors would be in SAG. Well it turns out you don't actually have to be in SAG to win a SAG award. You would think a labor union's circle-jerk awards show would keep the circle enclosed to members only, but I guess not.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mozi posted:

maybe it's just me then but having not watched a lot of other michael mann movies i thought Manhunter was well shot and had some nice moments but was otherwise kind of unexceptional. like if you're not going 'wooooah' while watching a guy looking out a car window in the rain, it's not for you

It’s definitely a mood. It’s probably the most moodiest of Mann films which is saying a lot! The shots, music, hushed dialogue and limited exposition either pulls you in to the world he’s building or you bounce off it pretty hard. I have a lot of friends who apart from his gunfight scenes in Heat and Collateral can’t stand his stuff. The quiet bits really push my buttons too so it works for me in spades!

Bums me out he’s probably not going to have another moody crime drama. Dude is 79. Drive hit the buttons for me too but I didn’t like Winding-Refn’s other stuff.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

PostNouveau posted:

lol it's a dumbed down version of line dancing or the electric slide

Thanks disney for letting me pay $5,000 to learn the dance every since person in America already knows

Seriously, all this poo poo is literally "Renfaire with room and food included, only it's $5000 and smells a bit better"

0 rows returned posted:

between manhunter and to live and die in la, william peterson shouldve been a much more successful actor instead of disappearing until he worked on csi like 20 years later

but yeah manhunter loving rules

Nah, it was commitment to his role - after catching the Tooth Fairy, Wil Graham realizes he needs to fly under the radar, changes his name to Gil Grissom and joins the CSI team in Las Vegas, explaining why this random lab tech seems to have action movie skills. Peterson just knew nobody else could do justice to the character...

...and now I really need to track down and watch Manhunter again. It's such a great movie. Michael Mann - the guy you can credit or blame for every modern police procedural on TV.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

stillvisions posted:

...and now I really need to track down and watch Manhunter again. It's such a great movie. Michael Mann - the guy you can credit or blame for every modern police procedural on TV.

It comes off and on streaming services all the time. I think last time I looked it was on Shudder of all places (it's not there now).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Last of the Mohicans owns

The soundtrack owns

That final fight with old dude just obliterating the bad guy loving seriously owns

best footchase?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Everyone seems to like the pattman film, but I don't know if I can deal with 3 hours of paul dano

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

best footchase?

Probably Ong Bak

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

X JAKK posted:

This week's Family Guy was significantly less terrible than usual, much tighter writing, still woefully mediocre but not offensively bad

Lois brings Quagmire to her high school reunion because she is embarrassed of Peter and Peter and the family order a pizza even though Lois told them not to and the pizza man dies in their bathroom so they try to cover it up weekend at bernie's style.

Guest starring Mike Stoklasa
https://i.imgur.com/KXdFub3.mp4

Family guy is still going :stare:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Milo and POTUS posted:

best footchase?

I feel like every single Korean thriller has at least one good rear end footchase scene. The Yellow Sea came to mind first, iirc the main guy spent like half that movie in an insane foot chase with 30000 guys behind him

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I'd be lying if I said this wasn't the music that played in my head every time I'm on a long hike in the woods, or basically doing anything out in the wilderness

it's like the soundtrack to The Forest in my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3YFAOnuZCo

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Thief is another really good Mann film and is available through Criterion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Family guy is still going :stare:

theres a new episode like once a month, theyre the RLM of fox