Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Vassal-focussed N'Kari definitely felt like herding cats and the campaign really ought to feature about 20 hours less busywork dealing rebellions that can't be autoresolved but having enough treaties with elector counts made Miao Ying friendly enough to offer me a pile of money and a trade agreement despite outnumbering my armies 3:1 and closing in on 50 provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Any tips for beating Be'lakor as Cathay? Went into the battle last night with mostly Celestial Guards, Crossbow, Jade Warriors and a couple Terracotta with a fire rain and mostly did fine but by the last zone was mostly running out of fumes and got demolished.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

VietCampo posted:

Any tips for beating Be'lakor as Cathay? Went into the battle last night with mostly Celestial Guards, Crossbow, Jade Warriors and a couple Terracotta with a fire rain and mostly did fine but by the last zone was mostly running out of fumes and got demolished.

Ditch your ranged, don't care about harmony for the final battle, just have celestial guard and terracotta and you will stomp the final battle.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Marin Karin posted:

There sure are a lot of attrition campaign mechanics (Ursun invocation, Nurgle's entire existence) for a game that makes attrition damage essentially non-existent for the AI.

It's pretty funny. One of the Tzeentch faction abilities is to cause 25% attrition to an enemy army for one turn, no matter where they are. I used it on a Cathay army that was standing in the chaos wastes, and with both chaos wastes attrition, 100% Tzeentch corruption attrition, and the ability active, their army lost a whooping 2 models on their 68 model units.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm having a hard time with siege defense on those small settlements. People are like 'just build towers' but it's the tier 2+ ones that are actually worth a drat and they don't always get a good clear shot. Leadership plays a big part, a small garrison really cannot afford to route with many units at a time. If you turtle up in the middle they'll just take out your supply zones and the towers with them.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Eimi posted:

Ditch your ranged, don't care about harmony for the final battle, just have celestial guard and terracotta and you will stomp the final battle.

I don't think you need to ditch ranged, Miao's fully upgraded celestial crossbows are obscenely powerful and will melt a soul grinder in a single volley if you can get 3+ shooting at the same target. I had 8 in her army and it made everything go much quicker than just waiting for all the waves to slowly grind themselves to death on nothing but halberds and sentinels. I would recommend going in with a solid core of crossbows at full veterancy to be your damage dealers, and then just summon as reinforcements the halberds and sentinels since they just need to be a tarpit anyways and it doesn't matter if they die. So you can swarm the enemy with poo poo while you micro your crossbows around to get off volleys and snipe all the SEMs one by one. I like actually having something to do rather than just putting on fast-forward and watching a blob hack at each other for 40 minutes.

Artillery and any ranged that are picky about line of sight (iron hail, crane gunners) are definitely worthless though.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

I don't think you need to ditch ranged, Miao's fully upgraded celestial crossbows are obscenely powerful and will melt a soul grinder in a single volley if you can get 3+ shooting at the same target. I had 8 in her army and it made everything go much quicker than just waiting for all the waves to slowly grind themselves to death on nothing but halberds and sentinels. I would recommend going in with a solid core of crossbows at full veterancy to be your damage dealers, and then just summon as reinforcements the halberds and sentinels since they just need to be a tarpit anyways and it doesn't matter if they die. So you can swarm the enemy with poo poo while you micro your crossbows around to get off volleys and snipe all the SEMs one by one. I like actually having something to do rather than just putting on fast-forward and watching a blob hack at each other for 40 minutes.

Artillery and any ranged that are picky about line of sight (iron hail, crane gunners) are definitely worthless though.

Sorry should've included that i'm not the favorite daughter.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Panfilo posted:

I'm having a hard time with siege defense on those small settlements. People are like 'just build towers' but it's the tier 2+ ones that are actually worth a drat and they don't always get a good clear shot. Leadership plays a big part, a small garrison really cannot afford to route with many units at a time. If you turtle up in the middle they'll just take out your supply zones and the towers with them.

Don't upgrade the towers in the other supply zones.

If you have a victory point, barricade up there and upgrade your tower. If you have walls you can probably poo poo on the enemies on one section of the wall and then pull back the the centre before the enemies get there, use the cav to interrupt the enemy if it looks like they'll get there before you.

That should buy you enough time to get a t4 tower and some barricades (the ones that give you bonuses or gently caress up the enemies stats are better than walled ones, imo).

If that doesn't win you the battle, you probably weren't going to win the battle.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has anyone noticed if Nurgle plagues always cause attrition and stop replenishment or does it require any of the specific "deals attrition" affects?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Are bonus starting supplies bugged? I have Kislev tech to give +500 supplies for siege defense yet I only start with 1000 regardless.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Messed up that getting an agent wounded in an assassination attempt will fick up your harmony. Guess all of mine are gonna form gank squads to take out chaos agents before they get taken out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Are bonus starting supplies bugged? I have Kislev tech to give +500 supplies for siege defense yet I only start with 1000 regardless.

Oh gently caress I want that tech when/if it works.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

How do I Khorne? Is it worth occupying settlements, or are my skulls better off being FedEx'd to the Skull Throne and let the ruin colonization events happen on their own?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

How do I Khorne? Is it worth occupying settlements, or are my skulls better off being FedEx'd to the Skull Throne and let the ruin colonization events happen on their own?

I usually took the capital city and burned everything else in a region

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Panfilo posted:

It gives +500 for every turn you've been besieged. If they attack right away, you get nothing from it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Multiplayer team campaigns are super fun, settlements take on a whole new dimension when you have organized two minds on 2+ fronts dissecting the AI. If you both take a 20 stack to the same settlement you can have a wonderful, funderful time.

VietCampo posted:

Sorry should've included that i'm not the favorite daughter.

I'll forgive you. Don't forget to set up a reasonable defensive choke on point 1. I did it with the reinforcements jades and leaving 2-3 of my Terracottas behind.

The last point lets you burn reinforcements on more Terracotta, Terracotta should beat a soul grinder in a 1v1. I ground out the last wave with a roided out defensive dragon LL and 8+ Terracotta and earthblood spam. Leave a big, fortified defensive block on point 2(i.e. celestial halberds holding the choke points, celestial crossbows angled at the spawn points, 6 units minimum, you can put the T2 reinforcement Crane Gunners here too or if you've got skyjunks park them here) and either grind the 3rd point down with an absolutely roided out Dragon LL(level 40-50, great gear) and 5+ Terracotta, or fall back and spawn Terracotta and pull grinders into your kill zone, having multiple Terracotta + your LL rush down isolated Nurgle/Tzeentch grinders if they stand at range and fire.

It's not intuitive(I didn't see it until this battle!) but in the bottom right corner there are more ways to spend your resources. Select a unit, or multiple units(costs will scale per unit selected) and check those options once you have nice towers up. Give your LL gold weapon and armor buffs. Give your Terracottas gold stuff. Heal and replenish ammo on crossbows. Etc. You're going to reach a point fast where you have T4 towers at points 1 and 2 and keep getting supply bux. Let point 3 fall and don't build anything, you won't lose access to the reinforcements.

The Longma Riders require a lot of micro for a battle where you'll be running on fumes by the end but they're excellent cavalry and also available after you cap the T3 point. Spawn them at your T2 and you can try to engage Be'lakor in the air, if your dragon is roided enough those 2 + the dragon can take him.

Also the soul grinder flood is not actually infinite, the bar at the top isn't Be'lakor's health.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 28, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hargrimm posted:

Honestly you're probably right, but by the time I got there I just wanted the campaign's extra nonsense to end and I read it was all soulgrinders so I want in with the most mindless army to just end it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The slaanesh cultist spam can get pretty silly (as the player). By just starting with 1 cultist that I sent down to the Empire and using the cult building that spawns new cultists, I've basically established cults everywhere and everything has 100% slaanesh corruption. I'll also end up vassalizing The Empire, Kislev and Miao Ying's faction soon enough.

Edit: woops, just ran into the bug (feature?) where all the chaos factions on the map declare war on you if you vassalize a human faction. Guess I'll leave a Slaanesh playthrough for a later date.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 28, 2022

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Eimi posted:

Having now beaten the campaign, that ending has the most "That's it?!" energy of any game I've played in a long time. Underwhelming doesn't even begin to cover it. Of course all the quest battles were really awful too, fortunately I was playing Cathay so soul grinders stood no chance against a wall of sentinels. I really love Cathay as a race but I don't think I'll ever touch this campaign without mods again. Overall wh3 is a bunch of qol changes with some really baffling decisions. Super punishing autoresolve if you play on anything over normal, settlement battles, the AI is back to being a chickenshit, those god drat campaigned quest battle slogs. :psyduck:

Yup, for whatever reason they decided that 3 is actually the first plotwise in the series going 3->2->1, so it's an anti-climactic end, followed by a loving NOTHING conclusion because 1 had a non-existent plot even by the consideration of Total Warhammer plot.

And so much of the plot is overlapped between factions, like every faction getting loving Be'lakor as their 'reward' which is nonsensical. It's just supremely stupid.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Did I accidentally turn on legendary battle mode? Why does the map disappear and I can’t use slow motion?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Did I accidentally turn on legendary battle mode? Why does the map disappear and I can’t use slow motion?

You might have clicked "battle realism mode", check the game settings you should be able to turn it on/off at will.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ngl I would pay for the blood DLC again if it added some really over the top stuff like that. I wanna see ogres literally pick up a guy and chow down for a finisher.

It does already in Warhams 2. Giants will pick guys up and bite them in half and chuck the remains. There are a lot of custom gory kills, it's just hard to really look at and notice them in hectic battles.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yes! Big rpfm update. WH3 support added. What to do what to do?

E: Huh. Does anyone know how to enable mods without the mod manager or how to enable the mod manager in the launcher? Just putting the pack file in data directory won't do it. There's a text file called "used_mods" in wh2 that lists active mods but putting a similar file in wh3 with my mod listed won't do it. :shrug:

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 28, 2022

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I hope everyone else realized faster than me that there's little buttons in survival battles that let you use supplies to refill your winds of magic and ammo

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Dramicus posted:

The slaanesh cultist spam can get pretty silly (as the player). By just starting with 1 cultist that I sent down to the Empire and using the cult building that spawns new cultists, I've basically established cults everywhere and everything has 100% slaanesh corruption. I'll also end up vassalizing The Empire, Kislev and Miao Ying's faction soon enough.

Edit: woops, just ran into the bug (feature?) where all the chaos factions on the map declare war on you if you vassalize a human faction. Guess I'll leave a Slaanesh playthrough for a later date.

I did the same, and turns out there is an undocumented fun feature: you can't vassalize playable factions with that mechanic. No, it doesn't tell you. The button just stays gray forever.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

kujeger posted:

I did the same, and turns out there is an undocumented fun feature: you can't vassalize playable factions with that mechanic. No, it doesn't tell you. The button just stays gray forever.

It does, but in a lovely way.

There are tool tips for the four cardinal direction markers on the vassalisation icon and one for the actual gauge. On the northern marker, it explains it to you.

A similar thing can be found in the winds of magic gauge.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Dramicus posted:

They do not declare war because you vassalise a human faction. At least not norsca.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 28, 2022

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A couple days ago, I posted about a trick I discovered that allows Khorne to draw out city garrisons and armies. You encircle a city, use the Eternal War manifestation to attack yourself, and the city garrison will join the battle as reinforcements. You have to fight more guys, but not that much more due to the puniness of the summoned armies, and you get to fight on more even ground without towers and stuff. Since the garrison fights as reinforcements, they don't get to set up in a good position. Since AFAIK the reinforcement locations are based on where the armies are positioned on the campaign map, the garrison will always appear behind your starting location, making it easy for you to intercept them right as they arrive. If they're undead or demons, the city will be deserted or near deserted afterwards!

However, I found one thing you have to watch out for: Don't win too quickly, which is a real possibility with the summoned army being puny and Skarbrand being a one-model doomstack. If you do before the reinforcements arrive, the battle will end and reinforcement arrival timers will stop.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It does feel a bit weird that factions vassalized through Slaanesh shenanigans can just unilaterally decide to un-vassalize themselves for no particular reason.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Ogres are so powerful man. Do they have a single bad unit in their roster?

Like, their artillery and ranged power is crazy on top of having a really really THICC frontline of troops. The gnoblar scrap launcher is a super fast and mobile artillery piece that shreds infantry. Then you get a more powerful version of it with the Ironblaster :psyduck:

The ogre faction feels so much more fleshed out compared to the demon factions

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

As my Papa campaign goes to turn 150 I switch to autoresolve more. With some fights (Ogres) it's likely autoresolve gives me similar results to what I'd do, but at least it mostly spreads the damage equally.
Also looks like Sylvania will stay forever at 70 Vampiric Corruption, I have no heroes that could make it lower, so any of my armies crossing that province either jump from city to city or eat some attrition. Definitely running out of steam, not much fun in chasing Ogres through mountains while occasional Dorf slayer + rangers stack sack something. Screw Ungrim..

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Can't you overpower it by high amounts of your own corruption? Most corruption also has an 'all other corruption -2' or something.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So far I've found alliances and settlement trading to be great tools in WH3, just toss all the crappiest settlements to your buddies to act as a buffer while you keep stretching yourself thin with further conquest.

Mostly been sticking to defensive alliances unless I REALLY want a bigger outpost, are military alliances as dangerous as WH2 in terms of ally dragging you into wars with everyone else? I figure if I just stick to one like Thrott as a chaos faction it should be fiiiine.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Collapsing Farts posted:

Ogres are so powerful man. Do they have a single bad unit in their roster?

Like, their artillery and ranged power is crazy on top of having a really really THICC frontline of troops. The gnoblar scrap launcher is a super fast and mobile artillery piece that shreds infantry. Then you get a more powerful version of it with the Ironblaster :psyduck:

The ogre faction feels so much more fleshed out compared to the demon factions

Ironguts are underwhelming and get passed by in a hurry by Maneaters. They aren't necessarily bad they just don't really have a purpose atm because you pretty much always have something better available and basic bulls will still get the job done 90% of the time anyway (especially as Greasus).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

One alliance is just fine. Two is ok if they are on different sides.

Most of the time you are going to war with most people anyways so extra wars are not bad unless your allies hate each other.

But feeding cities to your allies really does wonders.

Also I still love the loving outpost system and I can not wait for warriors of chaos to no longer be bugged for global recruitment.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, the diplomacy changes and outposts are loving dope. There's a lot of QoL stuff to love here, too. Part of the reason I'm itching for the big map is to really dig in to this stuff without having to worry about being punished for expanding by the campaign mechanics.

Give me the big map, CA. I need it in my veins.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Third World Reagan posted:

It does, but in a lovely way.

There are tool tips for the four cardinal direction markers on the vassalisation icon and one for the actual gauge. On the northern marker, it explains it to you.

A similar thing can be found in the winds of magic gauge.

Then it's some other bug, because the indicator is full and it worked fine on the norsca factions

E: NM now i see it is "non-playable" and not "non-player" which i always read it as -_-

kujeger fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 28, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Had to restart my Kislev campaign because I screwed up settlement building chains too much and got too slow of a start first time 'round, also I couldn't beat that final wave in the Forge of Souls battle (Geeezzzzz). Already off to a much stronger start, defeated two factions that entered the Tzeentch world, so now they'll be behind when it comes to souls. I'll have to try to kneecap the the other two factions so that I have a shot at going through Slaanesh's plane twice to get some of those really cool items and rewards.

You really do get most of your money in this campaign from fighting chaos armies, which is kind of strange but makes sense.

Can't wait for Mortal Empires with all that news about the campaign map. Hoping they change their mind on including at least Ind and Nippon, although my guess is they don't want too many human factions in this game. I'm guessing khuresh willl be beastmen dominated.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dr Christmas posted:

A couple days ago, I posted about a trick I discovered that allows Khorne to draw out city garrisons and armies. You encircle a city, use the Eternal War manifestation to attack yourself, and the city garrison will join the battle as reinforcements. You have to fight more guys, but not that much more due to the puniness of the summoned armies, and you get to fight on more even ground without towers and stuff. Since the garrison fights as reinforcements, they don't get to set up in a good position. Since AFAIK the reinforcement locations are based on where the armies are positioned on the campaign map, the garrison will always appear behind your starting location, making it easy for you to intercept them right as they arrive. If they're undead or demons, the city will be deserted or near deserted afterwards!

However, I found one thing you have to watch out for: Don't win too quickly, which is a real possibility with the summoned army being puny and Skarbrand being a one-model doomstack. If you do before the reinforcements arrive, the battle will end and reinforcement arrival timers will stop.

Huh, it doesn't give you an option to wait around for the reinforcements? I've been able to wipe out an initial army before reinforcements arrive and it's given me a "Hang around, or end the battle now?" option to click or not. Maybe because they're from different factions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I, as N'kari, had kugath reinforce me in a battle in tzeentch's realm by surprise. I wasn't having too bad a time there since seducing two horror units and having all my fast bois just split the enemy force up meant the battles were relatively casualty free, but I realised I could completely offload this fight onto kugath.

N'kari, a unit of chariots and fiends led the enemy army around until kugath spawned while the rest of my army hid in some trees. Kugath took the full brunt of the tzeentch army and I helped thing along by casting offensive spells into his units. He won, but his army was completely wrecked and even if he beat me to the final battle there was no way he would win. As an added bonus the AI doesn't care if you kill their units when like this, so kugath just liked me more afterwards and gave me 2000 gold for military access afterwards.