Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Blurred posted:

Confirmation of civilian casualties in the recent bombardment of Kharkiv:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1498266082536312839

There's some grisly videos out there of dead civilians from Kharkiv shelling :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

StarBegotten posted:

One thing that's surprised me so far is how quiet Joe Biden has been in all of this, you might have thought as "Leader of the free world" and America's major role in NATO that he would become the state figurehead in all this.

Biden did the Lords work leadidng up to the invasion. Jesus that was ice cold going out day after, basically saying the same things.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Willing to drink svedka

The greatest sacrifice.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

StarBegotten posted:

One thing that's surprised me so far is how quiet Joe Biden has been in all of this, you might have thought as "Leader of the free world" and America's major role in NATO that he would become the state figurehead in all this.

He doesn't want to make this a USA vs Russia war, keep it the World vs Russia.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If this conflict did go nuclear, what's the most likely way that would occur? Tactical strike in Ukraine? What would NATO's response be? We couldn't charge in, because that would get us nuked too, right? Just keep doing what we're doing?

All the ICBMs in the world would be launched at your home in particular, they've all heard about your bad posts, I'm sorry.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

StarBegotten posted:

But so far the EU, and in particular Ursula von der Leyen, seems to have been stealing all the limelight and be seen to be making all the big decisions.

Dont get me wrong, I think that a good thing, but I find it striking none the less.

Zelenskyy is a far more effective moral/rallying face for this thing and NATO acting as a unified force rather than Biden unilaterally seeming like he's telling them what to do is good optics (and honestly you really want to keep any mention of or notion of the US escalating anything). Europe taking point on this changes the narrative to Europe aiding a fellow European nation from invasion.

Also Biden and Rubio at the very least seem to have worked out a deal where he's the guy that's supposed to bring some of the chuds around. Not the worst plan.

Rubio is loathable in many senses but using his vehement existential fear/ hatred of the Russian state to sell to Republicans is good strategy.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 28, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's (or was) like a thousand bottles of Smirnoff (probably for dumb tourists) a year.

e: Well, less, as the figure also includes other beverages, spirits, and vinegar.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 28, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's always Diageo's Smirnoff Black. Or 20 other countries that do decent Vodka, you can even go OG Polish, Baltic or Ukrainian. I was suprised how poo poo Finlandia become, it was my go to higher class one many years ago.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's (or was) like a thousand bottles of Smirnoff (probably for dumb tourists) a year.

Russian Standard too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Some powerfully poo poo on-the-ground reportage from the NYT podcast today:

NYT: "Hello UKR soldier, why are you digging a trench?"

Soldier: "Because ...I don't want die"

NYT: "OK"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KitConstantine posted:

Edited, thank you.

The account I'm posting has been tracking equipment losses throughout the war so far, so I'm guessing he knows what he's talking about with this.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498085568726683648?t=2tRIKFhjIwnnQKJAmS5dlQ&s=19

Seems like Ukraine still has some cards left to play. Where are they?

It bears reminding that Ukrainians know better than to post about the movements of their army. That would only help the enemy. The less we know, the less GRU knows.

That being said, Russians still haven't committed all of their forces into battle. Ukraine has to keep a strong reserve ready to counter any surprise threats, such as an attack on Lviv, or to save the capital if Russian pincers close around Kyiv.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497931328322514947

I reckon I don't know much about landmines, but this seems ballsy as gently caress to just move it like that while smoking as if he's carrying a turtle that was crossing the road.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

slowdave posted:

Russian Standard too.

Just putting the number in perspective.

theghostpt posted:

I reckon I don't know much about landmines, but this seems ballsy as gently caress to just move it like that while smoking as if he's carrying a turtle that was crossing the road.

It's an anti-vehicle mine. Unless they've developed a lot since the late 1990s, there's no great danger.

e: Or is it anti-vehicle? Maybe Russian/Ukrainian anti-personnel mines are just HUGE!?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If this conflict did go nuclear, what's the most likely way that would occur? Tactical strike in Ukraine? What would NATO's response be? We couldn't charge in, because that would get us nuked too, right? Just keep doing what we're doing?

It's not going nuclear unless NATO forces are on the ground in Ukraine, Belarus, or Russia. And even then, the only way those nukes would fly outside the combat zone is if Moscow is surrounded and the Generals between Putin and the launch codes believe all is lost (NATO wouldn't push it this far).

EDIT: Also, if Russia used a tactical nuke that would probably be a step too far for China. Russia NEEDS China right now as a market for their goods. If China turns against them, Russia isn't going back to the 1990s, it's going back to the 1790s.

Old James fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 28, 2022

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
If you have access to and don't drink Tom of Finland vodka then you loving suck

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah the US has played this immensely well. The last couple of months Germany has been under intense and very public pressure not to go through with Nordstream 2 and was visibly very uncomfortable with it all.
Then the public pressure goes off for a week and Germany has a once in a generation pan-political spectrum realignment that is being framed as a purely German decision.

Biden understands when to talk and when to be quiet. Also it's not like he hasn't been giving near-daily press conferences.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just putting the number in perspective.

Yeah, we're talking very small numbers here. There aren't that many consumer products exported from Russia to Finland anyway. Off the top of my head the taxi service Yango and Teboil come to mind.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The only way this war turns nuclear is if NATO decides to storm St Petersburg and give it to Ukraine, and if that happens I will go outside and bend away from Russia so a nuke can fly directly into my rear end in a top hat

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Honestly, I don't think NATO would want to get involved if Russia used a tactical nuke in Ukraine to avoid nuclear war.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

slowdave posted:

Yeah, we're talking very small numbers here. There aren't that many consumer products exported from Russia to Finland anyway. Off the top of my head the taxi service Yango and Teboil come to mind.

The corresponding number the other way was four million euros in 2020, apparently.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

slowdave posted:

The large food store chain S-ryhmä has decided today to stop selling Russian products in their stores too, and the number was something like 50 different products would be removed. The amount of Russian consumer products imported to Finland was pretty pathetic even before this war.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/IVSIVS7/status/1498230176567730183

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

Russia getting bodied on the social media front is especially confusing given that Putin and the global right/reactionaries absolutely understands the power of memes/social engagement.

A few social media trolls can't work effectively if the public at large across pretty much the whole political spectrum (with some exceptions, like our local "leftist" discussion forum), are on Ukraine's side.

Amplifying moronic right-wing talking points by people that already believe in them is easier than getting people to justify a war of aggression.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The only way this war turns nuclear is if NATO decides to storm St Petersburg and give it to Ukraine, and if that happens I will go outside and bend away from Russia so a nuke can fly directly into my rear end in a top hat

Willo567 posted:

Honestly, I don't think NATO would want to get involved if Russia used a tactical nuke in Ukraine to avoid nuclear war.

Thanks. Sorry all, this has been digging at me more than I would like to admit ever since Rubio's tweet. It made me realize the situation may be even more tense behind the scenes, and living in a major US city, it's weird wondering if things will escalate at night and I won't wake up. I know it's unlikely as hell, but drat, these are unprecedented times.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
If you want to play around with trade data, this is a great site:

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/rus

You can get visual breakdowns by export destination, product category, etc.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

StarBegotten posted:

Part of being a leader is knowing when to just shut up and let others do their jobs.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Russia was attempting to sow disunity in NATO by humiliating France and Germany at the Normandy format talks (by poking at sore points re: the dominance of the United States in that alliance) not all that long ago

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/nourhaydar/status/1498229444255043585

:finland::respek::australia:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Welp, Twitter is full of videos of blown up city blocks, streets littered with dead civilians and shocked survivors aimlessly walking around. I don't know how this piece of human garbage expect to ever occupy this country after what he has done to its people.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
USA should gift Ukraine 5 reaper drones as military aid, then just fly them from nevada as usual and go on a hunt.

Give the ukranians a live feed and a joystick so the media think they're in control.

gay picnic defence posted:

That mud has to be a huge help to the Ukrainians. Leaving Russian units unable to maneuver across open ground and confining them to the roads would neutralise some of the numerical advantage they have, and it must be making hunting easier for the drone operators if they only have to look up and down the main roads for targets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputitsa

quote:

Rasputitsa (Russian: распу́тица, IPA: [rɐsˈputʲɪtsə]) is a Russian term for two seasons of the year, spring and autumn, when travel on unpaved roads or across country becomes difficult, owing to muddy conditions from rain or melting snow. "Rasputitsa" also refers to road conditions during both periods.[1]

Wartime

Rasputitsa seasons of Russia are well known as a great defensive advantage in wartime.[2][3] Common nicknames include General Mud and Marshal Mud. A spring thaw probably saved Novgorod from conquest and sacking during the 13th-century Mongol invasion.[4] During the French invasion of Russia in 1812, Napoleon found the mud a great hindrance.[2][3]

On the Eastern Front during the Second World War, the months-long muddy period slowed the German advance during the Battle of Moscow (October 1941 to January 1942) and may have helped save the Soviet capital from German occupation.[5] The advent of motorised warfare had the disadvantage that while tanks could operate effectively in summer or in winter, they proved less useful in spring and autumn,[6] when the functioning of an efficient railway system came into its own.[7]

Perfect timing, no russian armoured vehicles can go offroad at the moment without becoming stuck or slowed down. Keeps the convoys together and on predictable paths.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 28, 2022

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Part of being a leader is knowing when to just shut up and let others do their jobs.

Just imagine the current political situation with Trump in charge. His recent appearance was bad enough, but at least no one has to care what Trump thinks this time.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Were the sanctions on the central bank stopping them from liquidating their gold reserves?

There could be a lot of extremely mad libertarians and other chuds of the value of the gold and silver they’ve been hoarding craters because Russia dumped their reserves to buy up more of their currency.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

theghostpt posted:

I mean, he's holding it away from himself, what more do you want??

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like some Iof the alleged 400 mercenaries sent to kill Zelensky had a secondary mission, and failed.

https://twitter.com/KatyaYushchenko/status/1498271695634935809?t=fIkq_WywB2eCxuAuD4WjCw&s=19

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

You know the world has gone weird when Russians can't handle Rasputitsa . :stonklol:

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

Welp, Twitter is full of videos of blown up city blocks, streets littered with dead civilians and shocked survivors aimlessly walking around. I don't know how this piece of human garbage expect to ever occupy this country after what he has done to its people.

All part of the negotiations taking place in Belarus

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TobyVenables/status/1497916330485370880?s=20&t=LRKA08bJZzUPiLE8w5fP8w

https://twitter.com/TobyVenables/status/1497916348898361344?s=20&t=LRKA08bJZzUPiLE8w5fP8w

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Rappaport posted:

The large food store chain S-ryhmä has decided today to stop selling Russian products in their stores too, and the number was something like 50 different products would be removed. The amount of Russian consumer products imported to Finland was pretty pathetic even before this war.

Struggling to think of what those products were that weren't already readily available (and of better quality) from Estonia to begin with. Probably something for the Russian community, like authentic kvass or something?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Possible reason for Russia going harder on Kharkiv: it's one thing to want to bypass cities, but it might well be a logistical reality that you can't march on Dnirpo without having that road net clear. If a Russian aim is to get to the Dniper there and cut off Ukrainian forces in the East of the country then having the north pincer stalled at a day one objective could be causing a lot of stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/fpleitgenCNN/status/1498241235886166020

https://twitter.com/fpleitgenCNN/status/1498272648605974531

In which the CNN correspondent continues cruising around Southern Russia taking videos of military deployment

(Yes I 100% know it's militarily valueless to keep it secret in this high-tech age where a spy satellite can see it all anyway, but I just find it totally surreal)