Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

KitConstantine posted:

Looks like some Iof the alleged 400 mercenaries sent to kill Zelensky had a secondary mission, and failed.

https://twitter.com/KatyaYushchenko/status/1498271695634935809?t=fIkq_WywB2eCxuAuD4WjCw&s=19

i know its a different culture but epifany sounds like a stripper name and thats a hilarious name for the head of your religion to have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

MLRS strike on downtown Kharkiv, horrible atrocity.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Alchenar posted:

Possible reason for Russia going harder on Kharkiv: it's one thing to want to bypass cities, but it might well be a logistical reality that you can't march on Dnirpo without having that road net clear. If a Russian aim is to get to the Dniper there and cut off Ukrainian forces in the East of the country then having the north pincer stalled at a day one objective could be causing a lot of stress.

It took a month to bombard Grozny into submission, they could be stuck at Kharkiv for a while. Especially if it’s the hornets nest of Javelins and NLAWs it’s rumoured to be.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It’s also considered a good thing to have a fresh, clear cut victory while in the middle of negotiations. Even if they likely aren’t expecting much from the talks, if they can put pressure on Ukraine by clinching their second city, they’d likely to try.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

For some reason Roman Abramovich takes part in peace negotiations https://news.sky.com/story/roman-abramovich-chelsea-owner-trying-to-find-peaceful-resolution-to-ukraine-invasion-spokesman-says-12553990

ReticulatingSpline
Oct 10, 2012

He is was at least really close to Putin, i believe he personally interviewed every member of Putin's first cabinet. Hopefully he is willing to actually do something to help rather than just running some PR.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

gay picnic defence posted:

It took a month to bombard Grozny into submission, they could be stuck at Kharkiv for a while. Especially if it’s the hornets nest of Javelins and NLAWs it’s rumoured to be.

The Chechens made Grozny a horrible mess with mainly unguided anti tank weapons like RPGs. The state of the art has improved considerably since then and the balance has shifted further in favor of defending infantry, since countermeasures haven’t improved much at all. The Ukrainians have state of the art equipment. It could very well make Grozny look tame. I hope for everyone’s sake that the talks go well and the Russians come to their senses.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Possible reason for Russia going harder on Kharkiv: it's one thing to want to bypass cities, but it might well be a logistical reality that you can't march on Dnirpo without having that road net clear. If a Russian aim is to get to the Dniper there and cut off Ukrainian forces in the East of the country then having the north pincer stalled at a day one objective could be causing a lot of stress.

you're overthinking it imo. putin wants kharkiv or kyiv captured by today. kharkiv is the weaker target. failure means sugoy is fired or should be scared of balconies. therefore take kharkiv at all costs./

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Mason Mount to CSKA Moscow and we go back to the pre-2014 borders?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Not sure if this has been addressed yet so let me ask a serious question, and forgive me if this is ignorant as I don’t have a grasp on general internecine ethnic relations in Russia.

Re: the Chechen groups of the Russian army. If you’re a Chechen why would you go to bat to invade another country for a government that not too long ago was leveling your home and generally loving up your way of life? People mentioned conscription, so I get that to a degree, but are there Chechens who just flat out refuse to participate in this? For example, there were plenty of people who refused to be drafted in Vietnam, but also currently joining the army right now is seen as a possible means for Black Americans to be more upwardly mobile due to the GI bill and assumed respect one gets for serving. Is it the same for Chechens in Russia?

I mean for example (and this is 100% anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt) I have a friend who studied abroad in Russia for a semester and he was talking about how when he got there he heard about if someone knew he was from the US while out drinking or something, there was a possibility of getting into a fight. So he asked a Russian friend about it who told him, “Well you don’t look Chechen so probably no one will pick a fight with you unless you try to start something.”

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
It's possible they simply do not have the military capacity to forcefully capture any sizable city - the only option is to force a surrender by atrocity in that case. Otoh they might not be capable of conventionally razing any cities in any promt way either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Welp, Twitter is full of videos of blown up city blocks, streets littered with dead civilians and shocked survivors aimlessly walking around. I don't know how this piece of human garbage expect to ever occupy this country after what he has done to its people.

Read a piece with commentary from a former general major in intelligence (aptly named Toveri, i.e. Comrade) and the general consensus seems to be that they can't. Putin should also know this by now but he seems mighty stupid so who knows. His generals certainly know it.

e: to clarify, the situation now is such that they can't hold Ukraina even by putting their own puppets in power there which is what they've always wanted.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/ilya_shepelin/status/1498279645904523267?t=SrPDiXcHNLJEDaPWGKtzNw&s=19

Normal table

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

An aspect I haven't even considered is that if Ukraine ends up under occupation, Russia will neither have the interest nor the funds to rebuild the country and under Russian control Ukraine won't be able to do it itself. Seems like their only hope to escape generations of crippling poverty and living in ruins is through winning this war and keeping independence. I guess that's another thing people are fighting for now.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i know its a different culture but epifany sounds like a stripper name and thats a hilarious name for the head of your religion to have

If 'Epifany' makes you think 'Tiffany', perhaps you will find this video interesting

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My understanding is that the chechen units being sent in are not draftees, but volunteers.

A lot of these abandoned vehicles may be conscripts who just noped out though. The guys who wandered into the local police station and asked for a fill up spring to mind.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

GABA ghoul posted:

An aspect I haven't even considered is that if Ukraine ends up under occupation, Russia will neither have the interest nor the funds to rebuild the country and under Russian control Ukraine won't be able to do it itself. Seems like their only hope to escape generations of crippling poverty and living in ruins is through winning this war and keeping independence. I guess that's another thing people are fighting for now.

Occupation is impossible anyway. They will create a desert and call it Ukraine. No Ukrainians will collaborate.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

ReticulatingSpline posted:

He is was at least really close to Putin, i believe he personally interviewed every member of Putin's first cabinet. Hopefully he is willing to actually do something to help rather than just running some PR.

Guy's probably just desperately trying to revive his dream scenario of winning the Champions League in St Petersburg.

e: just remembered Chelsea lost in the final when it was held in Moscow, heh.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

the table keeps getting longer.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Dr.Radical posted:

Not sure if this has been addressed yet so let me ask a serious question, and forgive me if this is ignorant as I don’t have a grasp on general internecine ethnic relations in Russia.

Re: the Chechen groups of the Russian army. If you’re a Chechen why would you go to bat to invade another country for a government that not too long ago was leveling your home and generally loving up your way of life? People mentioned conscription, so I get that to a degree, but are there Chechens who just flat out refuse to participate in this? For example, there were plenty of people who refused to be drafted in Vietnam, but also currently joining the army right now is seen as a possible means for Black Americans to be more upwardly mobile due to the GI bill and assumed respect one gets for serving. Is it the same for Chechens in Russia?

I mean for example (and this is 100% anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt) I have a friend who studied abroad in Russia for a semester and he was talking about how when he got there he heard about if someone knew he was from the US while out drinking or something, there was a possibility of getting into a fight. So he asked a Russian friend about it who told him, “Well you don’t look Chechen so probably no one will pick a fight with you unless you try to start something.”

I don't know how to Twitter or do a thread unroll thing but here's an interesting look at Chechens fighting for Russia

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1497612331953577991

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

What do the buttons do?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dr.Radical posted:

Chechens have big family clans, the clan in power benefits immensely from federal backing, and its members form the bulk of Kadyrovs praetorians

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pippy posted:

What do the buttons do?

Make the table longer, natch

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

you're overthinking it imo. putin wants kharkiv or kyiv captured by today. kharkiv is the weaker target. failure means sugoy is fired or should be scared of balconies. therefore take kharkiv at all costs./

Actually interesting point: for all that Putin likes looking at his military on exercises and the use of coercive measures in the real world, I don't think I've seen anyone ever suggest that he's the kind of autocratic leader who likes to get maps and chits out and play warlord. The implication has always been that Gerasimov et al. have been given pretty free hands with their war plans.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
send people into a fiery pit below the room

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Make the table longer, natch

We can't allow the Russians to take the lead in table expansion technology.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pippy posted:

What do the buttons do?

They open the trapdoors.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

pippy posted:

What do the buttons do?

Not sure, but if my experience of A/V in conference rooms is anything to go by, neither will anybody in the room. We can only assume the world will end because the IT guy won't turn up in time to show the important people how to turn the TV on.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

This is like doing a write-up about David Duke and calling him an advisor to Biden.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

pippy posted:

What do the buttons do?

Someone brings him a coke
Wait, wrong president

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pippy posted:

What do the buttons do?

Left one: broadcast piss tape
Right one: another facelift

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

theghostpt posted:

Someone brings him a coke
Wait, wrong president

A Diet Coke based on his bloat

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

A Diet Coke based on his blyat

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

putin american tablemakers have the best table tech in the world. call off the invasion and we will give you a 200 foot table.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

pippy posted:

What do the buttons do?

Opens a trap door below the chairs.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
The jokes just keep getting funnier.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

putin american tablemakers have the best table tech in the world. call off the invasion and we will give you a 200 foot table.

Is there a table making reality show?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

fatherboxx posted:

Chechens have big family clans, the clan in power benefits immensely from federal backing, and its members form the bulk of Kadyrovs praetorians
Here's a long Guardian article looking at Kadyrov 's Chechnya curca 2015.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/23/putins-closest-ally-and-his-biggest-liability

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Opens a trap door below the chairs.

Installation error. Putins chair shoots into the roof no matter which button he presses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

pippy posted:

What do the buttons do?

*smashes into the thread like the big juice jug* they open the.......... ah......... the trap door....... below the chair. Below the chairs!!!