Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
https://newatlas.com/energy/quaise-deep-geothermal-millimeter-wave-drill/

Standard crazy nonsense, or viable method?

The capital costs are probably crazy, what with amounts to a science-fiction-esque energy beam doing the work, but if it's only a third as effective at drilling as they claim, that's still a little amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ionicpsycho posted:

The capital costs are probably crazy, what with amounts to a science-fiction-esque energy beam doing the work, but if it's only a third as effective at drilling as they claim, that's still a little amazing.

there's a number of these sorts of projects that aim to take advantage of the power distribution/generation hardware of pre-existing fossil stations, so that part, at least, is feasible. will their magic laser drill work? well, we won't know until we know, but it's worth paying attention to

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

They really don't have any choice at this moment. And the ironic part: Anybody could've predicted this like 10 years ago.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I dont trust Germany to not backpaddle if the the war ends just as fast. or even try to do it if it drags on.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Here is a classic

https://twitter.com/KaplanBen_Fr/status/1497663247071203333

only thing is everyone else does it too..

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Ionicpsycho posted:

Wow it’s a meltagun

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in re the capital costs on that, 100 days of supplying a megawatt of energy in each location you're going to install this is probably not going to be cheap

minimal in comparison, one assumes, to the energy you'll get back out, but

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

mediaphage posted:

in re the capital costs on that, 100 days of supplying a megawatt of energy in each location you're going to install this is probably not going to be cheap

minimal in comparison, one assumes, to the energy you'll get back out, but

It will totally depend on if they have to haul a generator on site, or if they can tie in to the grid to power these drills. If they really are going to drill at a fossil power plant, it shouldn’t be to hard to get a wholesale power rates. At that point, $30-80 per MWh is going to give a range of $72,000 to $192,000. Peanuts compared to what it is going to cost to set up the rig and cabling to go so deep.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sure, all of the setup is minimal in comparison to future production, like i said, if it works as intended

anyway, it's a wild idea, and it would be awesome if it actually works. unlike actual fusion, i suppose we'll find out in the next five.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1498321143899598856?s=20&t=H6XL-fI0RkB3pYYae7fDaw

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That energy beam drilling thing sounds amazing, but incredibly optimistic considering it doesn't seem to have been practically demonstrated at all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

That energy beam drilling thing sounds amazing, but incredibly optimistic considering it doesn't seem to have been practically demonstrated at all.

yeah it'll be interesting to see whether it scales as deeply as quickly as they're hoping. really curious to see what sort of tests they've conducted so far, but i think it's more reasonable to think it might be feasible in the short term versus, say, fusion, some sort of other renewable breakthrough, an unbelievable advance in storage, etc. and they're suggesting proof of concepts by 2026, so it won't even be that long before we know.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Orvin posted:

If they really are going to drill at a fossil power plant, it shouldn’t be to hard to get a wholesale power rates.

There are a ton of decommissioned power plants out there where they keep the switchyard active, there is a lot of existing infrastructure that would have to be changed if they don't usually. Power availability and cost is nothing in the grand scheme.

What matters is the condition of the turbine, generator, and GSU. It becomes a lot less appealing to retrofit an old plant when you need to throw $100 million to catch up on the deferred maintenance in fossil plants that have a shutdown date in the next few years.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/POLITICOEurope/status/1499429284879998976

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"Just burn more coal" I say as a Green Leader.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Theres a churchhill quote about trying everything before we try the correct thing, I hope we try and stick to the right thing soon.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

SpeedFreek posted:

There are a ton of decommissioned power plants out there where they keep the switchyard active, there is a lot of existing infrastructure that would have to be changed if they don't usually. Power availability and cost is nothing in the grand scheme.

What matters is the condition of the turbine, generator, and GSU. It becomes a lot less appealing to retrofit an old plant when you need to throw $100 million to catch up on the deferred maintenance in fossil plants that have a shutdown date in the next few years.

I didn’t think about that part of the process. Unless they attempted this at a steam plant that was just shut down, it is pretty safe to assume that anything left of the old generation station is useless junk. Once the generation station stops operations, things fall apart incredibly fast. The turbine bows and becomes useless unless it is kept spinning at all times. Without water in it and maintenance, the boiler starts to rust apart pretty quickly. Even the concrete foundations start heaving and cracking from temperature changes without the constant heat at all times (this is probably location dependent).

While it might still be advantageous to use a former generation site to attempt this drilling scheme, it’s probably more due to the fact that there is ample transmission connections available, and the land will be vacant/cheap due to all the toxic crap that leached into the ground. Not because they can just retrofit an old steam unit. There may be a few that are in good enough repair to prototype the system, but that will definitely be the exception.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think their whole idea is to capture those plants as they're shuttered, not reopen already-closed ones (though i suppose those would also work, equipment condition depending).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Finland will seek to extend the life of the current reactors in Loviisa until 2050. To make them not reliant on russian technology and just because we need them to keep going.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

Finland will seek to extend the life of the current reactors in Loviisa until 2050. To make them not reliant on russian technology and just because we need them to keep going.

Should be easy to do, thankfully studies are showing Neutron Embrittlement has not been as much of an issue as was predicted, same thing is happening in the US with old reactors.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
this is probably better to post in The War thread, but hearing local radio news say "another Chernobyl was adverted" wrt to Russian capturing control of a nuclear power plant is depressing.

like it a nanometer of progress is threaten to fallback lightyears because of Putin's tiny dick problems.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

this is probably better to post in The War thread, but hearing local radio news say "another Chernobyl was adverted" wrt to Russian capturing control of a nuclear power plant is depressing.

like it a nanometer of progress is threaten to fallback lightyears because of Putin's tiny dick problems.

It was also overblown. While there was risk to damaging the reactors, it was nowhere near as bad and was unlikely to end up being a Chernobyl event. The firefight was actually the opposite direction of the reactors anyways.

Also, the VVER series has a proper containment building which is designed to handle impact of an aircraft, sure a shell could damage it, but you'd need to really try to damage the core enough to cause enough coolant loss for a meltdown, or damage the Emergency Cooling systems generators.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

It was also overblown. While there was risk to damaging the reactors, it was nowhere near as bad and was unlikely to end up being a Chernobyl event. The firefight was actually the opposite direction of the reactors anyways.

Also, the VVER series has a proper containment building which is designed to handle impact of an aircraft, sure a shell could damage it, but you'd need to really try to damage the core enough to cause enough coolant loss for a meltdown, or damage the Emergency Cooling systems generators.

According to Wikipedia the VVER design doesn’t have the positive void coefficient problems of the RBMK so the worst that would possibly happen is a meltdown. Whilst this would be a nuclear catastrophe, it’s not a power excursion, core explosion, and raging graphite fire. Media loves to use Chernobyl as a benchmark but it really was an inherently dangerous design run in an inherently dangerous fashion under a regime that didn’t tolerate dissension. That’s my take anyway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Capt.Whorebags posted:

…but it really was an inherently dangerous design run in an inherently dangerous fashion under a regime that didn’t tolerate dissension. That’s my take anyway.

And even with all the problems inherent to the design, I remain unconvinced that it would have been run that way if its positive void coefficient was known to the planners and operators. Chernobyl #4 is one of the best examples of the Swiss cheese model we have.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

And even with all the problems inherent to the design, I remain unconvinced that it would have been run that way if its positive void coefficient was known to the planners and operators. Chernobyl #4 is one of the best examples of the Swiss cheese model we have.

Long and sort: Don't let an idiot like Dyatlov convince you to run the reactor recklessly. If you can't get power, turn the reactor off. The entire thing was because they tried to force power out of a stalled reactor by directly doing exactly what you should not do with a reactor, any reactor.

Yeah, its a super good example of the human element of the swiss cheese model.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What's the Swiss Cheese model? Because normally in anything involving engineering I'd associate "Swiss" with "intricately engineered to overperfection and quality". I.e watches, chocolates, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

What's the Swiss Cheese model? Because normally in anything involving engineering I'd associate "Swiss" with "intricately engineered to overperfection and quality". I.e watches, chocolates, etc.

Its a Risk Management model:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese_model

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

CommieGIR posted:

or damage the Emergency Cooling systems generators.

This was the thing that I was worried about while watching it unfold. I had heard that most of the reactors had already been shut down, and I would assume the rest would be once the firefight broke out.

But that means that the power for cooling either came from external sources (the city that some Russian troops had just come thru) or external diesel generators. And I don't know where those generators, or their fuel sources, were in relation to the fighting.

Also I doubt that whoever planned the site had an active firefight between large scale forces as a high priority during the facility design.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SporkChan posted:

This was the thing that I was worried about while watching it unfold. I had heard that most of the reactors had already been shut down, and I would assume the rest would be once the firefight broke out.

But that means that the power for cooling either came from external sources (the city that some Russian troops had just come thru) or external diesel generators. And I don't know where those generators, or their fuel sources, were in relation to the fighting.

Also I doubt that whoever planned the site had an active firefight between large scale forces as a high priority during the facility design.

The EDGs only need to be run during the cooldown period or while the reactors are active, once the reactor is cold shutdown after 2-3 days, its easier to lose electricity. Ideally, you never want to lose it, but the cooldown period is what is important to cover.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Despite being a dense solid block, Swiss cheese has holes.

Look at a thin slice of Swiss cheese and there will be holes that allow something to move from one side to another. Now stack it next to another slice and some holes will be blocked, while others may line up. The more slices you add, the less chance there is of something being able to make it through from one side to another.

In risk management it's used as an analogy for different layers of protection. Equipment, training, processes, checks, all add an extra layer which while they may have holes are less likely to line up with a hole in all the other layers of protection.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That seems to ignore that the locations of the holes on adjacent pieces of Swiss cheese are highly correlated.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It is a metaphor.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

As is the response. A big part of designing appropriate defense in depth for risk management controls is making sure that the blind spots don't overlap too much, and it's a step that's often missed.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That seems to ignore that the locations of the holes on adjacent pieces of Swiss cheese are highly correlated.

Not if you rotate each piece differently.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Google Trends shows a very sharp growth in interest in electric and hybrid cars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As is the response. A big part of designing appropriate defense in depth for risk management controls is making sure that the blind spots don't overlap too much, and it's a step that's often missed.

The analogy doesn't involve slicing a block, it's taking random slices. And even then the Swiss cheese name is just shorthand for a plane with holes in it rather than intended to be too literal.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ShadowHawk posted:

Google Trends shows a very sharp growth in interest in electric and hybrid cars.

Boss man tried to buy a Prius like 8 hours away and it sold before he could get on the road.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ShadowHawk posted:

This is great news. For decades the most popular vehicles have been heavy, luxurious, and gas-guzzling trucks, despite the fairly high upfront sticker prices (the average Ford F-150 sells for $47,000 new, which is more than a Tesla Model 3). I think it’s pretty clear that highly-subsidized gas prices have been discouraging people from particularly valuing gasoline efficiency or exploring greener options. Hopefully this change in consumer spending continues and doesn’t get blunted by Republican attempts to double down on gas subsidies, deregulation, and fuel tax cuts. Creating the conditions for systematic investment in green tech is the surest path forward.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

The Finnish new reactor Olkiluoto 3 is finally connected to the national grid and is producing electricity :science:

https://yle.fi/news/3-12356596

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
does it get rid of waste heat via cooling finns