Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

I love how psyched Marcus is when he finds another of those metal yu gi oh cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

wooger posted:

Huh, Ragnar is like half the show and his blessed/cursed ascent to power is incredible.

I find him completely flat and uninteresting on any level, just an abusive dad type. Just a manipulative rear end to religious zealots, which I also find uninteresting. That's why I laughed out loud when Vrille killed a lot of them.

(I don't dislike villains because they're villains, every second of screen time with Darth Vader, the T-1000, Jang Han-seok and many others is fantastic.)

Fortunately, the show has so many other redeeming qualities in its characters and plot that I can see past him.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 27, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

Things happened in other episodes but they felt like complete nonsense. Things in this episode felt like they sort of made some sense and that the things that happened were connected to something else and not just made up on the spot while writing the episode.

Yeah, this episode was a bit of a let down let's hope the next one won't repeat this mostake

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, ok, agreed, but what is happening?

It's not very complicated at all, outside prestige's TV typical use of gratuitous characterization to 'play with the audience's sympathies'. Y'know, that soap-operatic stuff.

The story is simply that last remaining humans have gotten caught up in a conflict between the Ancient Aliens who helped found Rome and what appears to be a snake-themed enemy faction. This latest episode has 'revealed' to us - though not to any characters - that the creatures wandering around are probably alien snakists cursed with lycanthropy by "Sol".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I don't think Sol cursed them with snake lycanthrope. I think the snake lycanthrope comes from the Atheist's patron, Grandpa Campion maybe. We see Romulus's tooth give off a spore attack like Mouse did, but it doesn't turn the vampire into a snake; it turns him into a morlock like we saw in season 1.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hopefully if there’s a season 3, we find a Dracula region of Kepler-22b.

Where the Draculas reign.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In season 4 we'll get a werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky scary.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

In season 4 we'll get a werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky scary.

Boys becoming Men. Men becoming Wolves.

OH poo poo THE SHOW’S ULTIMATE GOAL HAS BEEN THERE IN THE TITLE THE WHOLE TIME

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Absolutely loving the Prometheus vibes from the last episode :woop:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterWeller posted:

but it doesn't turn the vampire into a snake; it turns him into a morlock like we saw in season 1.

Right; the 'morlockification' is what I'm referring to as lycanthropy, since the land-creatures read as canine. Based on the tooth, I believe "Sol" is behind that, while there's a different (snake-related) force manipulating the oblivious Atheists.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right; the 'morlockification' is what I'm referring to as lycanthropy, since the land-creatures read as canine. Based on the tooth, I believe "Sol" is behind that, while there's a different (snake-related) force manipulating the oblivious Atheists.

This doesn't track. Sol influences Paul to shoot Mary so as to keep her out of the way when the snake baby is born. They're the same force.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

we don't know what's going on outside of heavily generalized statements

and hopefully we will never know

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's not very complicated at all, outside prestige's TV typical use of gratuitous characterization to 'play with the audience's sympathies'. Y'know, that soap-operatic stuff.

The story is simply that last remaining humans have gotten caught up in a conflict between the Ancient Aliens who helped found Rome and what appears to be a snake-themed enemy faction. This latest episode has 'revealed' to us - though not to any characters - that the creatures wandering around are probably alien snakists cursed with lycanthropy by "Sol".

Hmm, ok, ok ... I see your point. :hmmyes: And the snakists were capturing necromancers(which are Sol tech) and trap them in dodecahedron cages to give birth to the holy necromancer-hybrid snakes.

Maybe the Mithraism conflict on earth parallels what happened on Kepler? Sol was the AI leading the Kepler atheist anti-snake faction.

The bioweapon that the Trust used was very similar to what was in Romulus' tooth. If the teeth were really mass produced, they were intended to be worn for protection if someone ever comes into contact with a snakeist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

Hopefully if there’s a season 3, we find a Dracula region of Kepler-22b.

Where the Draculas reign.

Guest directed by Gregg Turkington

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I don't think Sol cursed them with snake lycanthrope. I think the snake lycanthrope comes from the Atheist's patron, Grandpa Campion maybe. We see Romulus's tooth give off a spore attack like Mouse did, but it doesn't turn the vampire into a snake; it turns him into a morlock like we saw in season 1.

but romulus' tooth is from earth so how the hell can it give off spores that are meant for people on kepler
it's also funny how mithraics can even have "relics", the religion isn't that old (on earth)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Doctor Jeep posted:

but romulus' tooth is from earth so how the hell can it give off spores that are meant for people on kepler
it's also funny how mithraics can even have "relics", the religion isn't that old (on earth)

I presume it's not a real relic; it's manufactured just like the one character said, and it's made via the same technological inspiration/exchange that gave them the murder androids.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

snakes against god

so do we think the glowing figure and the veiled ancient android are one and the same or are there 2 weirdos wandering around

also I feel bad for all those mithraic’s in Marcus’ group! they somehow survive s1, lose their funky space crusader armor, then get done in by a faceless damaged child in s2 with just a few more episodes to go!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I stopped watching with the S1 finale, does the show make any lick of sense now? I'd assume it doesn't.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I stopped watching with the S1 finale, does the show make any lick of sense now? I'd assume it doesn't.

There will never be a point in time where any of this makes sense.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It all makes perfect sense to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, same.

There are a couple of new myseries introduced this season, but it's clearly on track to resolve all of the ones introduced in the first season finale by the end of this season.

Like, I don't expect them to answer "what is the signal?" but I do expect answer to "where is the signal?" and "what's the deal with the snake?" by the end of the season, and have a pretty clear idea about the new android's loyalties and goals, if not exactly its history or purpose.

What's everyone else's expectations for this season?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I stopped watching with the S1 finale, does the show make any lick of sense now?

No, it's still good

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Not everything entertaining has to make sense. I watched a dog eat its own poo poo once and had the the time of my life but I wouldn't necessarily say it made much sense

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I remember going into season 1 hoping for a story about rebuilding humanity or something. When things were much, much more insane than just that I was a bit confused and wondering why things were so silly and I was vaguely dissatisfied. But by the finale, with everything that entailed I finally realized that this show is an amazing deadpan comedy, and the serious show I had been expecting would have been way more boring.

This season makes sense. What's going on at any moment has some understandable explanation for why it's happening happening. Some of those explanations involve huge unknowns, but even with some of the premise still mysterious, the events all follow from each other logically. It makes its own kind of sense.

But there are absurd and inexplicable scenes every episode. Every episode has made me laugh in incredulity multiple times. If you're up for that kind of nonsense, this season has been an absolutely amazing ride.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

gently caress rebuilding humanity we are a trainwreck. Let them die

I used to watch shows like this and be like “human life is sacred” nowadays it’s like…..please don’t let these parasites take root on another loving planet!

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Enjoy the ride

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harton posted:

Enjoy the ride

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

What's everyone else's expectations for this season?

Milk. And lots of it.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

If this show somehow ends with human beings going extinct and replaced by milky androids and flying snakes I will stand up and clap.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What if Sol is just an AI like us
Sending leech hallucinations
To an atheist

Trying to make his way home
To a cave underneath a dodecahedron dome

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I like the mix of subtlety and bluntness this show has sometimes. Like in the latest episode with the giant snake skeleton, there is a human looking rib cage inside the snake rib cage. It's almost comically explicit that this ancient snake did not eat pumpkins, it ate people. And yet that human rib cage is only in the foreground of an unrelated shot where Marcus is trying to shimmy over to that tunnel. No one points it out, and the camera never focuses on it.

It's like how the mermaids were introduced randomly during Campion's escape through the woods and no one ever commented on them. Or that joke where they were using tiny little nets on sticks along side all the other equipment when the community went snake hunting. A lot of stuff just happens without much focus leaving the audience to wonder what the heck they're watching.

The first leech on the glass was visible for quite a while before Sue noticed it, just something on the screen you can't quite make sense of.

It's a lot of fun.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
The ocean creatures and the creatures in the original tundra area also seem related

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like how Marcus just take everything in stride. When he sees that the android has killed someone and carved of their face he just sighs and unholsters his gun.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty drat sure that Lion's Head was in one of the shots in the most recent episode!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion%27s_Head_(Cape_Town)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This is like wandering into a marvel movie thread and asking if the political ideology behind them isn’t gross anymore.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Eiba posted:

I like the mix of subtlety and bluntness this show has sometimes. Like in the latest episode with the giant snake skeleton, there is a human looking rib cage inside the snake rib cage. It's almost comically explicit that this ancient snake did not eat pumpkins, it ate people. And yet that human rib cage is only in the foreground of an unrelated shot where Marcus is trying to shimmy over to that tunnel. No one points it out, and the camera never focuses on it.

Maybe he was the snake’s pilot.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

snake riding! the hot new way to get around kep and be carbon neutral

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I like how Marcus just take everything in stride. When he sees that the android has killed someone and carved of their face he just sighs and unholsters his gun.

Marcus isnt my favorite character but I like his child like stupidity while he stumbles through whatever the gently caress he is supposed to be doing and surviving. One day hes like hey ill do a 9/11 the next day hes a bad kisser, another day and he gets a cool tablet. Hes kinda the show personified "im going to turn off my brain and see where this goes."

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I hope he continues to wriggle out of every jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Remember when he wriggled out of a jam by snuggling down to fall asleep right next to a bottomless pit, then got up and decided this didn't feel right, and corrected the situation by tying himself to a nearby boulder?

Which was obviously the correct thing to do because he was subsequently knocked into the pit while he was sleeping but was saved by the boulderrope.