Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

invasions the single most interesting thing about Dark Souls from either end of the interaction and Fromsoft's gradual realization that they'll sell more games by being boring is a testament to how terrified gamers are of being taken out of their comfort zone

Invasions are like someone knocking on your front door while you're having sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Invasions are like someone knocking on your front door while you're having sex.

an interesting surprise? and potentially another sex guest.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
How MUCH harder if the game if you roll a naked wretch? I generally love rolling wretches because it makes every single bit of item discovery noteworthy: you're ecstatic when you first find any sort of pants, any sort of gloves, literally any weapon beyond a club, etc. But the game is pretty stingy when it comes to handing out souls... clearing out a full dungeon, including the boss, only lets me level up once or twice. I've cleared out most of the starting area and can probably head towards margit, but i'm looking at my pathetic little hp bar and thinking "hmm. i might be in trouble"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

No Wave posted:

or 1 on 1 PVP is just not something most people enjoy?

i don't see how that's any different from what i said

like the fact that it's asymmetric PvP where the opposing player is an obstacle to progression instead of an honorabu duel is the thing that makes it fun. there are literally a billion games out there with character action gameplay that don't have anything like it. but make one series where it's part of the core pitch and people act like you came into their house and hornet ring parried their dog, rather than the reality that gamers at large basically came into invasions' house and then bitched about there being invasions

Polo-Rican posted:

How MUCH harder if the game if you roll a naked wretch? I generally love rolling wretches because it makes every single bit of item discovery noteworthy: you're ecstatic when you first find any sort of pants, any sort of gloves, literally any weapon beyond a club, etc. But the game is pretty stingy when it comes to handing out souls... clearing out a full dungeon, including the boss, only lets me level up once or twice... and i'm looking at my tiny little hp bar like "hmm. i might be in trouble"

the super-early game will be a little tougher but it evens out really quick. being a few levels "behind" a more optimal class for your build matters less and less the more levels you have

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 28, 2022

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I like the Confessor but I'm not sure I'm really feeling trying this hybrid build before I know where anything is. Thinkin of rerollingas a Vegabond and just be a big tanky gently caress with my sword and halberd and heavy as gently caress armor. Only need to worry about 4 stats.

EDIT: Invasions could be fun if the games had better netcode, but something around 70% of all my PVP interactions are being randomly teleport backstabbed into a completely different part of the map that I haven't even been to yet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

How MUCH harder if the game if you roll a naked wretch? I generally love rolling wretches because it makes every single bit of item discovery noteworthy: you're ecstatic when you first find any sort of pants, any sort of gloves, literally any weapon beyond a club, etc. But the game is pretty stingy when it comes to handing out souls... clearing out a full dungeon, including the boss, only lets me level up once or twice... and i'm looking at my tiny little hp bar like "hmm. i might be in trouble"

IDK how much harder with no frame of reference, but I often regret rolling Wretch just because I'm aware of how gimped my stats are whenever I pick a new item and I need to put 4 more levels into a random stat that most starting classes had already

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

imagining an all boss speedrun lol

it would be like one of those big traveling salesman problems and would require multiple supercomputers to plan the best route

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

where can i get that crossbowman's summon sign, dude looks like he could beat the game for me

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

actionjackson posted:

imagining an all boss speedrun lol

it would be like one of those big traveling salesman problems and would require multiple supercomputers to plan the best route

Can’t for that one dude to start doing a new no-hit-run-of-every-souls-game but now it also includes ER.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

the pizza cutter is fukken sick!!!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the super-early game will be a little tougher but it evens out really quick. being a few levels "behind" a more optimal class for your build matters less and less the more levels you have to begin with

this adds up, thanks, just making sure I wasn't setting myself up for a 100-hour difficulty spike

Khanstant posted:

IDK how much harder with no frame of reference, but I often regret rolling Wretch just because I'm aware of how gimped my stats are whenever I pick a new item and I need to put 4 more levels into a random stat that most starting classes had already

this is currently where I'm at. Had to waste a ton of souls just to be able to use literally any weapon besides a club, and haven't been able to put anything into endurance or vigor. I guess it's not really "wasting" souls but it sure feels like it!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Polo-Rican posted:

It winds up feeling the same, minus any cool iconic armor you start with (no idea if those sets are available in the game world.) The only guy you fight naked with your club is the tutorial boss, if you even do that. Right outside the starter area are all the weapons and armor you need to move forward. As was explained to me earlier in the thread, in the end the only thing it hurts is if you're going extreme PVP min-max build, those few points for otherwise unused stats that wretch starts with a 10 in can't be used somewhere else.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I went Wretch because I wanted to find everything and was going to try to go 25/25/25/25 or 40/40/40/40 depending on what was reasonable

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sages cave has a really cool bossfight that two resurrecting skeleboys cheese the living poo poo out of.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Polo-Rican posted:

How MUCH harder if the game if you roll a naked wretch? I generally love rolling wretches because it makes every single bit of item discovery noteworthy: you're ecstatic when you first find any sort of pants, any sort of gloves, literally any weapon beyond a club, etc. But the game is pretty stingy when it comes to handing out souls... clearing out a full dungeon, including the boss, only lets me level up once or twice. I've cleared out most of the starting area and can probably head towards margit, but i'm looking at my pathetic little hp bar and thinking "hmm. i might be in trouble"

It was really rough on me for the first 8hrs, and I don't really have any way to engage with miracles yet either. I wouldn't recommend it.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I absolutely love this game but yeah I would say the status of invasions is a little bit of a downgrade from the previous titles. Being invaded and it creating these dynamic asymmetric multiplayer situations is brilliant and one of the reasons why these games have so much replay value for me. I haven't found the unlimited use invasion item yet but every time I've invaded anybody it's been a group of three. At least we got the taunters tongue, so we can be invaded if we want to without an army of backup.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Polo-Rican posted:

The first few hours of the game as Wretch are some of the most fun and atmospheric I've ever had in a video game. You're just dropped into this gigantic dreamy Götterdämmerung landscape with nothing but a loincloth and a club, and you can very naturalistically figure out the sort of character you want to be.

you have to be down for the bit of extra work it takes to start at level 1 though.

edit: i'm a weirdo who did a level 1 run of dark souls 1 so ymmv

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I went Wretch because I wanted to find everything and was going to try to go 25/25/25/25 or 40/40/40/40 depending on what was reasonable

yeah this is the real reason to have a wretch, and to keep the save file around for later. greater for respeccing and testing out different builds (at least until someone makes an Honest Merchant mod for Elden Ring, if it ever happens given the presence of anti-cheat)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How are you liking that halberd?

I started as a Confessor but haven't actually raised Faith much. I got Str/Dex high enough to use a cool curved greatsword but now I need to decide if I'm going to focus on Str or Dex from here, and the Golden Halberd is making Str tempting.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Cowcaster posted:

hey i know you're using the meteorite catalyst because it's got s scaling but you realize staves that are upgradeable can go up to +25 right have you considered they might have better magic damage in the long run between that and their natural scaling

Yup, I have the catalyst from the same boss soul (duped) but I don't have the stones to bypass the meteorite one. Working on that now, since I think it'll be the highest scaling one that isn't one of the two spends-more-FP ones. Give me more stoooooones.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You pay a premium to get the damage right now instead of 3 casts from now.

Yup, and that's Cometshard for me. I have like six slots I think and only Pebble and Cometshard equipped. At this (frankly stupid) amount of Int I can burn down most things before I burn through ~24 casts of it. Anything I can't, due to ridiculous HP or jumping around dodging spells, gets the pebble treatment. What makes Full Moon (and several other spells) so comically stupid is that they don't even fit the "kill it NOW" bill - they're slower as well.

Verisimilidude posted:

I could be totally wrong on this but I used pebble because people said it's more efficient, and decided to try swift shard on a whim and it feels much, much better.

Swift (like several other spells) pretty much got discounted for me because of range. With 21 Vigor and 3-4 heals being close isn't really an option. Carian Slicer is amazing but I have to be right up in something's rear end for that to work.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

btw capitalization matters for multiplayer group passwords, so "LLJK" and "lljk" are apparently different passwords, so add both :v:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

algebra testes posted:

Am I the only one that sells the boss drops for like 20,000 souls each time?

this is late but ya'll know you can duplicate the boss drops right?

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 28, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barudak posted:

Sages cave has a really cool bossfight that two resurrecting skeleboys cheese the living poo poo out of.

I wonder if I need to level them up because just like skeletons in the game, if they get hit in between res they stay dead. They sound great in idea but I've rarely have them actually survive.

Spekaing of summons has there been any consensus on which ones are worth leveling up or how muuch of an impact leveling a summon actually provides?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Galaga Galaxian posted:

btw capitalization matters for multiplayer group passwords, so "LLJK" and "lljk" are apparently different passwords, so add both :v:

It also doesn't seem to set the group to highest priority, I had a third one with some friends and we didn't see each other guaranteed until setting the standard multiplayer password instead.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quick question about a Remembrance: These are one-off items from specific boss battles, correct? And I have to choose between two options right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Artelier posted:

Quick question about a Remembrance: These are one-off items from specific boss battles, correct? And I have to choose between two options right?

Correct. However, there is a way to duplicate them this time. There are a limited number of opportunities to do this so you should still think carefully about what to use remembrances for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder if I need to level them up because just like skeletons in the game, if they get hit in between res they stay dead. They sound great in idea but I've rarely have them actually survive.

Spekaing of summons has there been any consensus on which ones are worth leveling up or how muuch of an impact leveling a summon actually provides?

summoning is insanely strong. after initially thinking it was worthless i've found i really like the jellyfish summon -- it's stationary, but has a super long-range projectile attack that debuffs enemy damage, and it also has a shitload of health, so either a situation where you tank for your jellyfish or where your jellyfish draws aggro for you is equally good

i also recently got an elite summon of a perfumer lady who applies a damage shield (or did when she was a boss fight, anyways), but i don't have enough FP to actually summon her lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

No Wave posted:

or 1 on 1 PVP is just not something most people enjoy?

One on one pvp is cool. I think it's just safe to say at this point that most people aren't jazzed when it's forced on them, and it's their progress and currency at stake while the other guy is doing it because lmao he gets to make other people upset and that's real cool and even if he loses, he's lost literally nothing. And it's not like invasions were ever especially cool. Dark Souls 1 was full of people who just hacked in having infinite humanities so you'd hit them once, they'd run behind some enemies, heal to full, and keep doing that poo poo. Invaders have always been the shittiest part of actually playing the Souls games and somehow they've convinced themselves they're integral to the experience.

Polo-Rican posted:

That's what I rolled, though I did upgrade from the club to a greatsword asap. I went for Margit right away and it was hard because they'd two-shot me but it wasn't too bad. I started putting on armor around Stormveil because a lot of the enemies there hit really hard and were doing most, if not all, of my tiny untouched health bar in one poke (and enemies in other locations like Liurnia and Caelid absolutely floored me). So, basically, it's only harder imo if you don't put points into HP. This game is hilariously generous with its flasks, as long as you aren't being one shot it's incredibly easy to bounce back.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Pro tip: the rune items sell for the same amount they're worth, so no need to menu out of a merchant (still have to menu out to level up tho).

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Anyone got a handle on parry? Just blocking and R2 seems to be the way to go, parry is really hard in this game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

summoning is insanely strong. after initially thinking it was worthless i've found i really like the jellyfish summon -- it's stationary, but has a super long-range projectile attack that debuffs enemy damage, and it also has a shitload of health, so either a situation where you tank for your jellyfish or where your jellyfish draws aggro for you is equally good

i also recently got an elite summon of a perfumer lady who applies a damage shield (or did when she was a boss fight, anyways), but i don't have enough FP to actually summon her lol

Ya I think I'm gonna put some points into mind to use some of these summons.

Also the wolves helped trivialize the Raya lucaria boss.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nuebot posted:

One on one pvp is cool. I think it's just safe to say at this point that most people aren't jazzed when it's forced on them, and it's their progress and currency at stake while the other guy is doing it because lmao he gets to make other people upset and that's real cool and even if he loses, he's lost literally nothing. And it's not like invasions were ever especially cool. Dark Souls 1 was full of people who just hacked in having infinite humanities so you'd hit them once, they'd run behind some enemies, heal to full, and keep doing that poo poo. Invaders have always been the shittiest part of actually playing the Souls games and somehow they've convinced themselves they're integral to the experience.

it's not "forced" on you, you decided to buy and play a Fromsoft game

hackers are trash but not really relevant to the actual design of the game. it's like complaining that poker is a bad game because someone was mad about losing a hand and whipped out a gun and shot you

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

thehoodie posted:

Pro tip: the rune items sell for the same amount they're worth, so no need to menu out of a merchant (still have to menu out to level up tho).

I was worried about this and for some reason never decided to test it after almost 50 hours of gameplay.

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.
Finally got to Margit after hearing how hard he is and somehow beat him on my third try. Is the gold summoning by his door OP, or was I overleveled (I was level 21-22ish). I'm trash at this game and expected to spend a loooong time on that boss.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

thehoodie posted:

On another pro-tip, the balloons floating around the Liurnia region seem to always drop a level 6 golden rune when you kill them, so make sure you take that bow out for them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Also the wolves helped trivialize the Raya lucaria boss.

i tried that for a couple runs but really, that boss fight is disturbing enough without "oh yeah, i loosed a pack of wolves on a bunch of congenitally disabled children" :v:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

totempoleman posted:

Finally got to Margit after hearing how hard he is and somehow beat him on my third try. Is the gold summoning by his door OP, or was I overleveled (I was level 21-22ish). I'm trash at this game and expected to spend a loooong time on that boss.

The npc summon helped me a lot on that fight too. I think you were probably a higher level than the majority of ppl who spent a long time on him. I'm trying to recall what level I was but I'm pretty sure I wasn't quite level 20.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Relentlessboredomm posted:

this is late but ya'll know you can duplicate the boss drops right?

I haven't dared it yet, it wasn't too clear what the limitation was. can you duplicate each boss soul once per mausoleum? or is it each mausoleum can only do a single duplication?.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's not "forced" on you, you decided to buy and play a Fromsoft game
drat that's a galaxy brain take

Invasions were cool in Dark Souls because it was the risk you took by being human and thus being able to summon. If you didn't want to be invaded, you just didn't go human. If you literally could not stop people from coming into your game and griefing you when you're just trying to get through an area, then that would be extremely stupid.