Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

yeah it has real One Weird Trick energy, when I last checked most of the Professional Diplomat Types online are like "you know, it's an interesting argument and international law is really complicated, but..."

yeah. like with international politics when you "dare" and do something like russia is doing, you either run the table or eat poo poo and your hosed internationally. russia has been the weird backwards rear end in a top hat kid at nations of the worlds school and now he has gone and hosed up to far. he can't be expelled per say but he is gonna get sent to the fuckhead class now and treated as such,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TheSpamalope posted:

The Ukrainian ambassador to the UN owns.

He put a summary of his feelings on Twitter

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1498329407034900481?t=T1ZzCnBQeNHVYF7usSqyCQ&s=19

(Fixed the tags, translation below)

Edit:

Dwesa posted:

probably this one, allegedly from the phone of some Russian POW

rough transcript

This is loving heartbreaking. They're just scared kids.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 28, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Option C is probably two failed states: Ukraine and Russia both. The world doesn't rely *that* much on any one nation. Not even America or China, much less Russia. The EU *can* transition to other sources of power rather than Russian oil and gas, and it looks like they will if they have to.

The best result regarding that is turning back to nuclear power. Obviously.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

former child star of Silver Spoons, lead of Arrested development, has a fairly successful career now as a comic movie actor. was the voice of the fox in zootopia. hes in ozark too. hes p talented actually, not a lot of good straight men in comedy nowadays and honestly its a harder role than the clown.

Is comedy suffering from a dearth of straight men or something? Kinda weird thing to write

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like with international politics when you "dare" and do something like russia is doing, you either run the table or eat poo poo and your hosed internationally. russia has been the weird backwards rear end in a top hat kid at nations of the worlds school and now he has gone and hosed up to far. he can't be expelled per say but he is gonna get sent to the fuckhead class now and treated as such,

Just worrisome that the obvious/only pathway forward for Russia under Putin's grip is to embrace full isolationism (which is essentially economic suicide), and therefor be forced to rely entirely on the threat of nuclear provocation for any actions/influence in the world henceforth.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dwesa posted:

rough transcript

that shits genuinely depressing. its a bunch of kids pushed into some hosed up conscription hell and now he is being sent into a war zone green as basic canon fodder for some backwards fuckhead who is starting to sound like he stepped out of a call of duty game.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
So what they are going to fast track EU membership for Ukraine and then we head to a major war in europe?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Option C is probably two failed states: Ukraine and Russia both. The world doesn't rely *that* much on any one nation. Not even America or China, much less Russia. The EU *can* transition to other sources of power rather than Russian oil and gas, and it looks like they will if they have to.

germans had apparently a big nostalgia for Russian reliability when it came to russian gas since they kept it coming even during the worst days of the cold war.

Now russia has committed the worst crime you can commit in germany: being erratic and unreliable.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

CPColin posted:

Guessing they called the number on the NOTAM (mentioned in the replies), because AFL111 is minutes away from the end of Maine now and hasn't diverted. I bet they'll make exceptions for any plane that left Russia before the NOTAM so they can return.

Looks like they didn't call. Oopsie.

CBC News posted:

Russian airline Aeroflot on Sunday violated a ban on aircraft from the country using Canadian airspace, Transport Canada said, on the same day the restriction was imposed in response to Moscow's invasion of Ukraine.

"We are aware that Aeroflot Flight 111 violated the prohibition put in place earlier today on Russian flights using Canadian airspace," Transport Canada said in a tweet late on Sunday.

Flight 111 travels from Miami to Moscow and took off at 3:12 p.m. ET, according to FlightRadar24.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

TipTow posted:

Is comedy suffering from a dearth of straight men or something? Kinda weird thing to write

Not a lot of Martin and Lewis duos around these days.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TipTow posted:

Is this a joke? If so, ha ha. If not, straight men, not straight men.

In both cases: yes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

With more of the EU coming onboard with sanctions, it's probably reasonable to think that the politics here is that having a harder time sourcing energy is preferable to having an emboldened and expansionist Russia kicking around.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TipTow posted:

They mean the "straight man" stock character. (unless that was :thejoke: in which case, whoosh!)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

foto 33

The Ukraine ambassador to the UN is loving cool.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Majorian posted:

They mean the "straight man" stock character. (unless that was :thejoke: in which case, whoosh!)

Nope, whoosh on me. Thanks, and apologies to BIG FLUFFY DOG.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

fuctifino posted:

To those who are unfamiliar, this is Liz Truss, the UK's Foreign Secretary. She's more focussed on daily photoshoots for her official instagram account than doing actual foreign policy work. She's many levels less competent than Boris, which is a scary thought given the state of things at the moment.

helmet pic has heavy mike dukakisensian vibes

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that shits genuinely depressing. its a bunch of kids pushed into some hosed up conscription hell and now he is being sent into a war zone green as basic canon fodder for some backwards fuckhead who is starting to sound like he stepped out of a call of duty game.

I am not sure how many actually are conscripts, but Novaya has an interview with a family of a POW who is professional, and it's not an unsympathetic story: kid from a town where there are basically no jobs, so signing up for military is the only career path. So he got screwed over by his country's leadership twice: first when they didn't really invest in the many depressed communities they have (Russia is still in many ways the Muscovite empire), and then when he was sent in battle for insanity.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

DandyLion posted:

Just worrisome that the obvious/only pathway forward for Russia under Putin's grip is to embrace full isolationism (which is essentially economic suicide), and therefor be forced to rely entirely on the threat of nuclear provocation for any actions/influence in the world henceforth.

Yeah, there was a clip posted yesterday (can't find it now) from one of the state media outlets where a media figure was saying something like "if the world doesn't want Russia we don't need them."

I'm not sure going full North Korea will work in Russia, though. We'll see.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Holy moly that really is just a Baofeng UV82.

A cheap Baofeng is a good piece of kit to have in a disaster or emergency (get licensed please. it's cheap and easy), but for a military superpower? Oof.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

TipTow posted:

buddy its one of the great shortages of our time. everyone wants to be the loving goofball. they think the straight man just has to be the guy who goes "Seriously?" "Wow. Okay" "I guess THIS is happening". when done with the right timing and subtlety, the straight man gets bigger laughs than the goofball. But people don't have the patience for that.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Dwesa posted:

rough transcript

Absolutely crushing; no doubt lots of Russian victims in this war too. A real shame. Poor kid.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

e: dp

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Transitioning meaningfully away from Russian energy would take years even in the best case scenario, and having to build that kind of energy infrastructure while dealing with the economic fallout of sanctions is not going to be the best case scenario. Meanwhile, Russia is also perfectly capable of transitioning to other end markets, so by the time Europe is in position to wield real long-term sanctions not only will it be way too late for Ukraine but it will also be much less effective against Russia.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Crespolini posted:

Who's that?
I assume OP meant Patrick Bateman from American Psycho, which is a pretty apt description of those loving ghouls.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Dwesa posted:

rough transcript

A kid who has apparently never texted his mom prior to that day?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Baronash posted:

Tbh I only text my parents when im doing war crimes

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Transitioning meaningfully away from Russian energy would take years even in the best case scenario, and having to build that kind of energy infrastructure while dealing with the economic fallout of sanctions is not going to be the best case scenario. Meanwhile, Russia is also perfectly capable of transitioning to other end markets, so by the time Europe is in position to wield real long-term sanctions not only will it be way too late for Ukraine but it will also be much less effective against Russia.

It'll be harder for Russia to meaningfully transition to other markets with economic sanctions in place -- switching needs money and investments, and those won't be easy to get.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

JerikTelorian posted:

Absolutely crushing; no doubt lots of Russian victims in this war too. A real shame. Poor kid.

He's dead, according to the Ukrainian UN ambassador. So, poor parents. Kid goes for training exercises and those are the last texts you get from him. That he's scared and feels like poo poo for being forced to do war crimes.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Dwesa posted:

rough transcript

This is absolutely heartbreaking. I feel so sorry for those poor kids.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Baronash posted:

To be fair I wait at least 24 hours to return my mom’s texts, and I am not fighting in a war.

Edit

Yes, I’m a terrible son. Sorry, mom!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

On the other hand, the oligarchs have been bleeding money in the order of billions of roubles for a relatively short time and they're already yelling at Putin, publicly. It's very possible Putin's grip on power is weakening, since the oligarchs essentially own Russia. That said, I'm not ready to believe Putin will be assassinated any time soon.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is this a joke? If so, ha ha. If not, straight men, not straight men.

In both cases: yes.

to be fair i do have a spreadsheet listing every comic actor's exact sexual preferences, history, and kinks but that's not relevant to the post.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Now russia has committed the worst crime you can commit in germany: being erratic and unreliable.

That is extremely correct, by the way.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

To those who are unfamiliar, this is Liz Truss, the UK's Foreign Secretary. She's more focussed on daily photoshoots for her official instagram account than doing actual foreign policy work. She's many levels less competent than Boris, which is a scary thought given the state of things at the moment.

Truss' finest moment will always be right before this war, when Lavrov asked her if the UK recognized Russia's sovereignty over Rostov and Voronezh. She said "We will never recognize it!" Which was odd, because those two regions have been part of Russia for centuries.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

JerikTelorian posted:

Im gonna go call my mom now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DandyLion posted:

same but i think there is gonna be bad internal poo poo once its obvious the economy is hosed even for the rich and putins clearly "nuts". idk what happens but i wouldnt want to be putin.

the holy poopacy posted:

I have a really hard time seeing how Ukraine comes out of this with a functional state.

Plan A was to surgically take out the government & military and occupy Ukraine more or less intact. That didn't work, they overestimated their military organization and underestimated Ukraine's resolve.

Plan B is to neutralize the military and slowly squeeze the cities until they surrender on terms harsh enough to lay the groundwork for eventual occupation. They can still do the first part, but the war effort is running on a clock due to sanctions and they're probably not going to be able to keep up operations long enough to wear down the cities.

That leaves Plan C, which is to indiscriminately wreck things until Ukraine surrenders. Leveling cities is only going to stiffen Ukrainian resistance to occupation but at this point it doesn't matter if Ukraine holds out on terms because whatever they're left with won't really be worth anything to anyone anymore, so Russia just secures the border territories and watches the ruined shell of the rest devolve into anarchy. Theoretically the threat of sanctions is supposed to prevent this scenario, but they're an unsustainable long-term solution due to reliance on Russian exports and everybody knows this.

its because none of those really work at this point. at best the last two lead to a long long insurgency and russia is made into big NK. whats funny is putin could walk away a "winner" with neutrality and crimea soverity but he wont take it because he wants zelenksy dead/crushed/whatever.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

If this is true then that really is nuts. One of the things people say that Russia did after the fiasco with 1st Gerogia war was to upgrade things like comms gear. I remember reading articles of "analysts" salivating all the gear that the Russian troops were parading around. Ohhhh they all got encrypted comms.

I'm half hoping but half skeptical.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Rappaport posted:

On the other hand, the oligarchs have been bleeding money in the order of billions of roubles for a relatively short time and they're already yelling at Putin, publicly. It's very possible Putin's grip on power is weakening, since the oligarchs essentially own Russia. That said, I'm not ready to believe Putin will be assassinated any time soon.

More likely there will be a sudden and unexplained surge of oligarch suicides rather than attempts on Putin's life in the near future....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
The name Volodymyr (which is obviously the same name as Vladimir) Zelensky as well as the Ukrainian ambassador being named Volodymyr reminds me of the times the Kremlin's official English language website published reports of calls between Zelensky and Putin. In these they referred to the former as "Vladimir Zelensky", and one can draw their conclusions as to why.