Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hild built a threshing machine several centuries before our timeline...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

...so I'm not the only one who thinks hild kinda looks like The Boss, right?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Hild built a threshing machine several centuries before our timeline...?
Just as a courtesy, it would be nice to have spoilers for a new chapter indicated as such, especially when the new chapter hasn't been mentioned or linked in the thread yet.

On that note: New chapter of Vinland Saga!

Hild holding on to her anger for all this time to the extent that she has felt like a bit much, but drat if I wasn't moved by Thorfinn's reaction anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus that was another incredibly powerful moment from this series. Kinda sucker punched me, I got lulled into the mostly slice of life aspect of the series recently.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Eiba posted:

Just as a courtesy, it would be nice to have spoilers for a new chapter indicated as such, especially when the new chapter hasn't been mentioned or linked in the thread yet.

On that note: New chapter of Vinland Saga!

Hild holding on to her anger for all this time to the extent that she has felt like a bit much, but drat if I wasn't moved by Thorfinn's reaction anyway.

Absolutely loved how the whole thing was done. There was no big dramatic act from Thorfinn, or last final trial he had to overcome. It was just him being consistently decent person that tries to make the world a better place, while Hild (re)builds a life of her own and realizes that her anger and hatred really does not have any point. Despite Hild forgiveness being a really big deal for Throfinn, it came from Hild's own character development and not from something specific he did.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
If you had told me years ago when I was reading the hard war manga Vinland Saga that in 2022 I would be cheering harder for a moment of emotional growth and forgiveness than I ever did for any fight scene, I would’ve said, “who are you, old man? Get out of my room!”

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Had a good cry at that moment in this chapter. Forgiveness can be a really powerful thing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
While I enjoyed re-reading it all, I'm glad that the horse race in Otoyomegatari is finally over. Good times all around even when Behke pulls her loving sword

This face screams peak smug.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Great finish. I like how all the steppe people were like "Oh hell yeah, NOW it's a party!" and the city slickers were totally lost.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
for some reason the last few chapters of otoyo and vinland saga never made it onto my radar, super glad to have something to binge

something i'm wondering about after the latest chapter of vinland i'm pretty sure the native peoples even in the northeast coast had at least some level of agriculture? seems a little suspect that in the most recent chapter the tribe they've encountered seems to be subsistence hunting based. i know that the mississipian culture had fairly complex agricultural society centuries before the manga takes place, though pretty well to the south. now i'm curious which population tended to have a more stable supply of calories, a native of the northeast or a nordic peasant.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It would heavily depend on tribe.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

for some reason the last few chapters of otoyo and vinland saga never made it onto my radar, super glad to have something to binge

something i'm wondering about after the latest chapter of vinland i'm pretty sure the native peoples even in the northeast coast had at least some level of agriculture? seems a little suspect that in the most recent chapter the tribe they've encountered seems to be subsistence hunting based. i know that the mississipian culture had fairly complex agricultural society centuries before the manga takes place, though pretty well to the south. now i'm curious which population tended to have a more stable supply of calories, a native of the northeast or a nordic peasant.

Pretty sure the natives are Mi'kmaq, who were hunter-gatherers before the European arrival.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Didn't the author take multiple breaks to do research? It'd be cool if they really were dedicated to accurate portrayal (beyond the animeisms like punching a horse airborne etc)

That said it looks like we are headed straight for the historical scenario, no alt history for us

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Captain Invictus posted:

Didn't the author take multiple breaks to do research? It'd be cool if they really were dedicated to accurate portrayal (beyond the animeisms like punching a horse airborne etc)

That said it looks like we are headed straight for the historical scenario, no alt history for us

which historical scenario, though? different sagas describe the way it went down differently. some of them have ghosts, in others one of leif's sisters gets extremely jealous about a boat for reasons unrelated to the natives and murders like 30 people with an axe. and there's always the possibility that the actual history is that they gave up on nordic homesteading and peacefully assimilated.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 30, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

which historical scenario, though? different sagas describe the way it went down differently. some of them have ghosts, in others one of leif's sisters gets extremely jealous about a boat and murders like 30 people with an axe. and there's always the possibility that the actual history is that they gave up on nordic homesteading and peacefully assimilated.

That's one thing we can pretty much rule out, because they went back home. We've got multiple people from the expedition who went on to be significant figures in Icelandic history.

Snorri Thorfinnsson was one of the main figures responsible for the peaceful Christianization of Iceland, before dying at a ripe old age.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We got the first trailer for Vinland Saga S2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL0tEVZACiU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

:stoked:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Olympus posted:

which historical scenario, though? different sagas describe the way it went down differently. some of them have ghosts, in others one of leif's sisters gets extremely jealous about a boat for reasons unrelated to the natives and murders like 30 people with an axe. and there's always the possibility that the actual history is that they gave up on nordic homesteading and peacefully assimilated.

The one where the American natives punch horses airborne and the 2.2-meter tall Viking lady goes kyaaaaaa!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm really not looking forward to the constant complaints of "where are all the viking fights" again, but hoo boy am I excited for everything else about experiencing Farmland Saga once more. It's still probably my favorite arc in the entire story.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Lol mappa took Vinland saga from wit too?

I’m concerned how a lot of studios might approach farmland saga but mappa has been on a roll for several years so I’m mega stoked.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

this looks very good. though not sure about what looks to be a scene at least implying thorfinn was among those who burned einars village.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new vinland saga

I still wonder if we're headed for a historical branching path or if we'll stick to the way things actually went, I have a feeling we'll get a flicker of hope followed by crushing disappointment and the failure of man as everything falls apart. the author's really good at teasing that part out. I'm on the fence on which I'd rather see happen in this story.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

new vinland saga

I still wonder if we're headed for a historical branching path or if we'll stick to the way things actually went, I have a feeling we'll get a flicker of hope followed by crushing disappointment and the failure of man as everything falls apart. the author's really good at teasing that part out. I'm on the fence on which I'd rather see happen in this story.
I really hope that even if things eventually fall apart that some people get good endings. I don't want Cordelia to have to go back to Iceland.

Actually, it just occurred to me, if we have to have (history spoilers) Thorfinn go back to Iceland to be a merchant, we do have a spare Thorfinn right there in Round Eyes. The issue of his wife and kid are a bit sticky, and Round Eyes is actually the most involved with the Lnu so far, but I could see there being a twist where our Thorfinn and his friends join the natives when his community falls apart, and Roud Eyes leaves for Iceland to tell a modified version of the story that eventually becomes history. That might straddle a sad and happy ending in a satisfying way.

As for this chapter- I think it was a bit simplistic and anachronistic for things to split along gender lines. The woman encouraging her husband or brother to righteous violence is practically a stock character in the sagas. Not being encouraged to participate in violence by your society doesn't mean you're free from falling into the trap of seeing the need for it.

Admittedly the sagas were written for and about aristocrats and landholders, where violence is required to maintain a family's status, but the idea that all ordinary women think war is dumb, even defensive war in this case, doesn't really ring true for me.

I will give the author credit for emphasizing that men don't have to participate in violence, and emphasizing that the obligation of violence is something that hurts men. I would have appreciated more ordinary men on Thorfinn's side, as I think the only man actually standing with him was his buddy Einar.

I think what's being said about violence is interesting, but what's being said about gender is a bit simplistic, even if I do like elements of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder if thorfinn will reveal his history as a last-ditch effort to try to convince people.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Just finished the first volume of Otoyomegatari: God drat it's good. Thanks for recommendation goons.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Eiba posted:

I really hope that even if things eventually fall apart that some people get good endings. I don't want Cordelia to have to go back to Iceland.

Actually, it just occurred to me, if we have to have (history spoilers) Thorfinn go back to Iceland to be a merchant, we do have a spare Thorfinn right there in Round Eyes. The issue of his wife and kid are a bit sticky, and Round Eyes is actually the most involved with the Lnu so far, but I could see there being a twist where our Thorfinn and his friends join the natives when his community falls apart, and Roud Eyes leaves for Iceland to tell a modified version of the story that eventually becomes history. That might straddle a sad and happy ending in a satisfying way.

As for this chapter- I think it was a bit simplistic and anachronistic for things to split along gender lines. The woman encouraging her husband or brother to righteous violence is practically a stock character in the sagas. Not being encouraged to participate in violence by your society doesn't mean you're free from falling into the trap of seeing the need for it.

Admittedly the sagas were written for and about aristocrats and landholders, where violence is required to maintain a family's status, but the idea that all ordinary women think war is dumb, even defensive war in this case, doesn't really ring true for me.

I will give the author credit for emphasizing that men don't have to participate in violence, and emphasizing that the obligation of violence is something that hurts men. I would have appreciated more ordinary men on Thorfinn's side, as I think the only man actually standing with him was his buddy Einar.

I think what's being said about violence is interesting, but what's being said about gender is a bit simplistic, even if I do like elements of it.

I think it will eventually become a closer vote but still side on the arm ourselves outcome. Despite everything you can't escape the cycle of violence is one of the pillars of the story. Thorifinn might get a personal happy ending but it has been foreshadowed long and hard that violence is coming. Also this panel is great:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

everydayfalls posted:

Also this panel is great:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

New A Bride's Tale
In which Amir spends multiple pages nerding-out about horses.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 10, 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

My Brother, My Brother and Me throughout the ages

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
NEW VINLAND SAGA.

I KNEW IT WAS COMING, BUT. gently caress, poo poo

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Surprisingly Sophisticated.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

NEW VINLAND SAGA.

I KNEW IT WAS COMING, BUT. gently caress, poo poo

:smith:

It's tragic, but a good story. In this tenuous situation there were people on both sides who didn't want peace, even if they had very different reasons. I wonder how this is going to play out, and what kind of conclusion everyone is going to take from it. It's too nihilistic for this to just be the end of Thorfinn's dream, especially since we saw how close it was to working out. But I can't see how anything will work out after this.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I do think it could theoretically be salvaged since the shaman broke the Miꞌkmaq's own parley rites in front of them, but probably not

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
either all hell breaks loose or Thorfinn immediately and efficiently murders Eyvar right this second. this will not happen unless he's going to forsake his vow of pacifism, and so all hell is about to break loose.

although, I've kind of been expecting a moment where he has to reveal his bloody past to everyone, and since everyone is standing right here right at this instant...

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

either all hell breaks loose or Thorfinn immediately and efficiently murders Eyvar right this second. this will not happen unless he's going to forsake his vow of pacifism, and so all hell is about to break loose.

although, I've kind of been expecting a moment where he has to reveal his bloody past to everyone, and since everyone is standing right here right at this instant...

My guess has always been that the mission falls apart but thorafinn finds peace in Vinland. Maybe he goes wandering meeting new people, maybe he settles near the natives by "himself". But a large majority of the other Vikings are going to head back to Iceland without him.

I think a hand for a hand would be appropriate here, which is justice not murder

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's kind of a coin toss, because on one hand it's an elder of the tribe, and on the other he's breaking their sacred rules and traditions. It's gonna depend 100% of if he's got the backing of enough people to push for violence.

Also, despite the Lnu tribe saying they didn't do it, and correctly saying there are a shitload of other tribes with completely different languages and values, Thorfinn is still like "no we don't need a fort" like lmao dude the natives just told you there's a ton of unknowns they can't even be sure of.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://mangadex.org/chapter/11f07cf1-d89f-4838-8a68-5cb7c7d1d410/1

No one linked the new chapter.

Things are not great, but better than I expected. I feel Thorfinn needs to kick Ivar's rear end just to get a message across.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/11f07cf1-d89f-4838-8a68-5cb7c7d1d410/1

No one linked the new chapter.

Things are not great, but better than I expected. I feel Thorfinn needs to kick Ivar's rear end just to get a message across.

While a hand for a hand would be the probable reaction, beating the sword into a plow would be more thematically appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

New Otoyomegatari and it's a very sweet end to the horse race arc with the cruel reminder that Russia is going to ruin a good thing for everyone.