Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How do you get the item that's on the cliff right behind where you start? I've seen a couple other people ask, and the responses have been like it's in a cave on the beach or somewhere around there. I've found the coastal cave on the west beach, but that just leads to the nearby island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Any flail users here? I want to like em but their scaling and base damage are kinda eh. Chainlink may go dece with str builds?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

to elaborate, i had to fight some crystal boomerang boss dipshit in a mine where my longsword +9 was doing single digit damage and all it took was me pulling a +0 wooden poo poo club out of my inventory and a few jumping attacks to plunge the guy directly into the toilet

I get that, you can break their armor with guard breaks, regular heavy attacks, and forward downed enemy stabs, but not back stabs. This only really matters for the secret cave in Sellia where you fight three of them with one being a caster and all their attacks inflicting curserot.

If you are strength weapon focused its a breeze.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

I'm going to guess since it's hard to get aggroed by bosses without actually hitting, there may be some value to a large, chunky single hit spell. Doubly so if it does stance damage.

And since we now have probably 5+ sources of bonus damage (talisman, flask, rune, catalyst, offhand, garments), odds are that dedicated casters can in true Souls style put down some fairly delayed but absolutely shitfuck large numbers.
This spell reduces magic resist and absorbs nearby spellcasts, so it's got some uses, but the casting animation is you literally doing a magical-girl transformation sequence pirouette into a moon. It's completely impractical, but I'm still happy I took it because I enjoy dropping the moon on some fools.

There's even delayed-casting spells, so you can set up some hilarious alpha-strikes with the right combo of casts.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Here's my mage guide 40 hours in with the game pretty much done putting up a fight:

Get the meteorite staff, get rock sling, get a spirit summon with a shield and level it up. Then you win, any bonuses you can stack on top just pile on overkill

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If I have any criticism of this game it’s that there’s no dungeon synth soundtrack. Also the physical copy didn’t come with a physical map.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Here's my mage guide 40 hours in with the game pretty much done putting up a fight:

Get the meteorite staff, get rock sling, get a spirit summon with a shield and level it up. Then you win, any bonuses you can stack on top just pile on overkill

I did all this except the shield because I literally never use it. Oh NM you're saying get a tanky summons.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 28, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey someone posted in the thread earlier that there was an extended story trailer of the opening cutscene that explained things a bit better but i lost it. my friend is interested in the lore so i was going to pass it along to him. anyone have it in their back pocket?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Cowcaster posted:

hey someone posted in the thread earlier that there was an extended story trailer of the opening cutscene that explained things a bit better but i lost it. my friend is interested in the lore so i was going to pass it along to him. anyone have it in their back pocket?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_03kFqWfqs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

How do you get the item that's on the cliff right behind where you start? I've seen a couple other people ask, and the responses have been like it's in a cave on the beach or somewhere around there. I've found the coastal cave on the west beach, but that just leads to the nearby island.

there's a stretch of beach to the west of the seaside ruins bonfire that you need to parkour down to on the local ruined pillars. there's a guy with a weapon art there and a cave that leads to the item

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I did all this except the shield because I literally never use it. Oh NM you're saying get a tanky summons.

Yeah in my experience it makes a big difference in how well they survive to hold aggro so you can spam more boulders. A horde of guys summon might work too but I wasn't very impressed with them in the early game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

danke

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
As someone new to Souls games, is there a good resource for me to get up to speed on how the various stats/enhancements/weapons work and do? Kind of just blindly throwing my points into Vigor, End, Str, and Dex as a confessor and not sure why. I've read people on here mentioning that certain weapons 'scale' for certain attributes and just concluded I have no clue how their stat system works and need to get educated!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TraderStav posted:

As someone new to Souls games, is there a good resource for me to get up to speed on how the various stats/enhancements/weapons work and do? Kind of just blindly throwing my points into Vigor, End, Str, and Dex as a confessor and not sure why. I've read people on here mentioning that certain weapons 'scale' for certain attributes and just concluded I have no clue how their stat system works and need to get educated!

Pick a weapon. Look what stats scale with it. Level those stats.

E: the stats are graded from A to E. A scales better than E. It’s like riiiight in the middle of the stay screen towards the bottom.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 28, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well I got to Caelid

No thanks

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Well I got to Caelid

No thanks

Its so loving scary I love it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was a post a few pages back on from soft stat strategy that’s been true for a bunch of games

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I have really mixed feelings about the amount of teleport points on the map, they kind of mess up the exploration experience since the answer to 'how do I get to X interesting place' is very often 'teleport from some completely other, often nonsequitir location'. But the one that sends you into caelid and forces you to escape goes a long way in making up for it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deviant posted:

So uh what is it?

From the Farum Greatbridge grace, head south across the bridge then east once you’re off the bridge to find a mage tower (Lenne’s Rise). It’s tricky getting to it since it’s a bit of a drop but you can get there with some effort. Once you have the grace point, you’re set.

Spoiling the actual process / farm to be safe: get on your horse and take the road west that goes under the bridge. Right before you reach the bridge a giant ball will appear behind you and chase you. Simply move to the cliff face on your right when it does, avoid it, and let it fall (keep your camera on the ball as it falls). You get 1900 souls for it. Fast travel back to the grace, repeat. Takes about 10-15 seconds from the grace spot to getting the experience.

If you do it at night there’s a chance the ball itself is a variant that gives you 10k runes instead.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I have really mixed feelings about the amount of teleport points on the map, they kind of mess up the exploration experience since the answer to 'how do I get to X interesting place' is very often 'teleport from some completely other, often nonsequitir location'. But the one that sends you into caelid and forces you to escape goes a long way in making up for it

You don’t have to use them.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

BabelFish posted:

I managed to hit 70 int for what I believe is the highest intelligence-required spell in the game... It's amazing to look at, but also does less dps than Glintstone Pebble.

This is why I generally think that spells have been bugged this whole time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo the Academy Crystal Cave can gently caress right off

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vermain posted:

there's a stretch of beach to the west of the seaside ruins bonfire that you need to parkour down to on the local ruined pillars. there's a guy with a weapon art there and a cave that leads to the item

Is it the guy with the gravity weapon art? I searched all over that beach and didn't see any caves.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Where do you get a spirit summon with a shield? I'm generally still using Jellyfish or the pack of wolves.

I'm also curious if the meteorite staff stays great because it doesn't level up at all, but it's pretty amazing out of the box.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

horse ai ftw against a certain general :getin:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This is why I generally think that spells have been bugged this whole time

it's pretty standard practice for all sorceries in all souls games

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

roomtone posted:

this game is extremely stingy with runes

it's like they forgot to scale the amount you get up

There's an extremely easy and safe grinding spot right outside of the Beast Sanctum .

Just exit and ride straight into the field. There's a bunch of small black clad dude worth over 1k each. They hit hard but also are easily killed especially on horseback. There's also a site of grace nearby so it's real safe .

I get about 8,000 runes for three minutes of work and they're frail enough you can immediately do this early game.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Alright, found the coolest sword in the game (Marais Executioner's Sword, aka the red drill sword used by Not-Darth Vader), but it requires Arcane. gently caress. I might have to respec just to dick around with it. I've killed so many dragons I can surely buy some cool abilities for such a build, too. Unfortunately, I started Vagabond, the one class that minimizes Arcane more than any other, lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anybody who thinks the telporting ruins the exploration go have a run through the labyrinth that is west atlus and the mountains.

I mean, its optional, but its also basically the entire zone

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I respecced to INT to gently caress around with spells and stuff and (I’m sure I’m not the only one to say this) they need to rebalance spells, there’s virtually no reason to use anything other than pebble, the damage it does for the FP it costs is absurd and nothing else even comes close.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Darke GBF posted:

Alright, found the coolest sword in the game, but it requires Arcane. gently caress. I might have to respec just to dick around with it. I've killed so many dragons I can surely buy some cool abilities for such a build, too. Unfortunately, I started Vagabond, the one class that minimizes Arcane more than any other, lol

Where?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Really not a fan of how this area's boss has a 100% required damage type in a game where upgrade materials aren't exactly raining from the sky, with a boss run-back that's just insanely aggravating to do.

I guess I'll come back when I have the mountain of smithing stones required to upgrade a blunt weapon enough for this single a single boss encounter.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Dropped in a place called the Shaded Castle. It's on Altus Plateau.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

guys the last time from did a balance pass on spells doing a ton of damage for little investment it was to make them all lovely and leave all the high tier lovely spells exactly as lovely as they started

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Harrow posted:

Is that the place with a crysral boss? That poo poo was amazing.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Substandard posted:

Where do you get a spirit summon with a shield? I'm generally still using Jellyfish or the pack of wolves.

I'm also curious if the meteorite staff stays great because it doesn't level up at all, but it's pretty amazing out of the box.

I think the earliest one is in a catacomb in the south island of the first area tombsward catacombs. I've been using a similar guy from the third area sainted hero's grave. Be advised they cost north of 100 FP so you may need to level up mind a bit to prepare if you've just been pumping int.

Meteorite staff stays great in my experience, considering the double synergy with rock spam

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
oh drat

An easy way to get almost 100k souls in Caleid:

From the Fort Fartoh checkpoint, head west right at that giant dragon. There is a safe spot in a divot near its left armpit. Park your rear end there on torrent and start wailing on it. its going to take a while, i used a +14 claymore. if you're lower level maybe use bleed?

Right before it dies pop one of those chicken feet things that increase rune acquisition. You'll get around 97k souls, and a dragon heart

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Fister Roboto posted:

Is it the guy with the gravity weapon art? I searched all over that beach and didn't see any caves.

Cave is near the waterfall area. The small ruined arch where you fight that dude is pointing straight at the entrance if you go under it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is that the place with a crysral boss? That poo poo was amazing.

I honestly found it kind of hilarious until I got to the boss, at which point I learned that a) I will need to upgrade a whole new weapon just for this fight, and b) no, there isn't a closer respawn point and yes, I will have to go through all those sorcerers again whenever I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fort farto