Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

He’s also a very poor analyst who is convinced Russia is holding back secret capabilities they’re ready to unleash because he can’t fathom their paper strength and propaganda being lies.

I read nothing he wrote, just figured the pics thread might find some of the pics/video interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chitoryu12 posted:

He’s also a very poor analyst who is convinced Russia is holding back secret capabilities they’re ready to unleash because he can’t fathom their paper strength and propaganda being lies.

Don't knock it, it's a time tested strategy. First they throw the demoralized conscripts at you, then progressively stronger enemies, then at the end you fight Robo-Putin.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/odessa8436/status/1498361642811371523?s=21

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/RALee85

this guy is just basically a series of pics/video of weapons and vehicles in the area

He is a great source along with the Ukraine weapon tracker account.

That said if you really want to see fresh things as they happen I can post a list of telegram channels I’ve been following if people are interested.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gives new meaning to the term drive by.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slava Ukraini!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Slava Ukraini!

:ukraine:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

what a weird trick

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1498367647125319681

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Does fire like this really damage a pure metal machine like a tank? I’d think it was pretty much fire proof from something that’s burning out pretty quickly.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/946364097925120110/948143610975649842/video_2022-03-01_09-03-19.mp4

brains
May 12, 2004

the chalk behind the one that gets shot down got distracted and actually flies into the water before recovering :stare: :stare:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
At first he was like “I’ll be extra tricky and fly super low so not missiles will get me” and then he bounced off the water

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Does fire like this really damage a pure metal machine like a tank? I’d think it was pretty much fire proof from something that’s burning out pretty quickly.

The goal isn't to melt metal with some gas. Covering a vehicle in fire can damage its engine, tires, blind the drivers, melt other equipment, if you're lucky it can make its way into the crew compartment via tiny cracks (much like water, that is on fire).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Russians have also been demonstrating such low morale lately that they’re abandoning vehicles over nothing.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Also loaded up vehicles sometimes have extra ammo/fuel outside.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm reasonably certain there's also a video filmed from behind that one, and you can see the fire burn out almost immediately, so Imma go with no.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ASAPI posted:

The goal isn't to melt metal with some gas. Covering a vehicle in fire can damage its engine, tires, blind the drivers, melt other equipment, if you're lucky it can make its way into the crew compartment via tiny cracks (much like water, that is on fire).

If the hit is well-placed it can also starve the engine intakes, no?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Fire tells the invaders to go home. Even if it does nothing it’s got to be demoralizing to know that even the civies are willing to throw fire and gas at you

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

please god no just go read the last 20+ pages of the TFR airpower thread and don't relitigate armor vs molotov here

it's worse than airplane on a treadmill

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Blind Rasputin posted:

no, and it was also towed

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

it's worse than airplane on a treadmill

ChubbyChecker posted:

no, and it was also towed

…What if the airplane on the treadmill is towing a burning tank?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Please do not start the molotovs vs tanks conversation in here, thanks.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1499018436269248513

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/neilphauer/status/1498959367906807808?s=21

Definitely a tactic of a winning military.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I swear these guys were just told to watch some Seagal movies, Black Hawk Down, and maybe the Hurt Locker in place of "training".

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Having never been in close proximity to explosives detonating, is that the normal blast radius of antipersonnel submunitions? I would have thought even a hand grenade going off at that distance would have spiderwebbed his windscreen

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Having never been in close proximity to explosives detonating, is that the normal blast radius of antipersonnel submunitions? I would have thought even a hand grenade going off at that distance would have spiderwebbed his windscreen

That’s something that has surprised me in many of these vids — I see these things land a few feet from cars and it appears nothing happens to them unless they hit directly. Hell, that tv tower took a direct missile strike and remained unscathed.

I mean, I’m sure this stuff is lethal, but it sure doesn’t look like it.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Those weren't anti-personnel in the sense that they were loaded with shrapnel. They were definitely close enough to break the windshield if they had shrapnel in them.

To me, it looked like maybe mortars going off, possibly smallish artillery.

This "feels" similar to previous experiences I have had.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Trolling Thunder posted:

That’s something that has surprised me in many of these vids — I see these things land a few feet from cars and it appears nothing happens to them unless they hit directly. Hell, that tv tower took a direct missile strike and remained unscathed.

The broadcast tower is an impressive image. From what I have read, it was built well, that is why it still stands.

Explosions are strange. We see images of craters and think that is most explosions. Those craters are formed by huge bombs, think hundreds of pounds of explosives. A grenade is less than one pound of explosives. So there is a huge sliding scale of destruction when dealing with explosives. This will often skew our perception of videos like this.

I assure you, he felt those explosions and his rear end in a top hat was very puckered.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ASAPI posted:

Those weren't anti-personnel in the sense that they were loaded with shrapnel. They were definitely close enough to break the windshield if they had shrapnel in them.

To me, it looked like maybe mortars going off, possibly smallish artillery.

This "feels" similar to previous experiences I have had.

Even mortars and small artillery should be doing damage at those distances.

A quick Google tells me the "oh poo poo" radius of a 60mm mortar round is 10-15 meters which is like 33 to 50 feet. Those blasts definitely look to be at least that close and that car looks like it got away unscathed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Trolling Thunder posted:

Depending on the rounds, they might not have the concussive effect, or shrapnel payload, necessary to do that. As for the TV tower, yeah it took a direct hit, but the construction of the tower is robust. If anything, you can see the inherent strength in those towers in that the pressure and explosive capacity of the bomb vents "harmlessly" out the open slots.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Trolling Thunder posted:

air flows where there's the least pressure

israel found out that casualty numbers from bombs in busses dropped if you kept some windows open

so unless the car gets hit from fragments, it requires a big bomb or a very close hit to shatter the windows

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Is it possible there's also just something straight up faulty with Russian munitions at a large scale? Not enough that they're unable to level apartment blocks when they want, but more than just a handful of duds? It'd have sounded ridiculous to me a week ago, but given some of what we've seen and the corrupt and rotten nature of their military, it seems plausible.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 2, 2022

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
If the thing goes straight in and embeds itself to some degree before igniting, could that have a limiting effect?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cugel the Clever posted:

Is it possible there's also just something straight up faulty with Russian munitions at a large scale? Not enough that they're unable to level apartment blocks when they want, but more than just a handful of dudes? It'd have sounded ridiculous to me a week ago, but given some of what we've seen and the corrupt and rotten nature of their military, it seems plausible.

i think that it's this:

Natty Ninefingers posted:

If the thing goes straight in and embeds itself to some degree before igniting, could that have a limiting effect?

instead of munitions problem

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Time for a new pair of drawers

https://twitter.com/coupsure/status/1498706479058235392?s=21

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

ChubbyChecker posted:

i think that it's this:

instead of munitions problem

I don't think so on concrete roads like that, wouldn't leap to faulty munitions either, that's reading a hell of a lot into one very short video. i think it's at least partly down to people expecting any sort of explosive to make a big fireball like in the movies, which just isn't the case.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ASAPI posted:

Explosions are strange. We see images of craters and think that is most explosions. Those craters are formed by huge bombs, think hundreds of pounds of explosives. A grenade is less than one pound of explosives. So there is a huge sliding scale of destruction when dealing with explosives. This will often skew our perception of videos like this.

Blast also falls off with the cube of the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1499429718281625601?s=21