Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

El Grillo posted:

FYI twitter says this is from 2021 and is by a Russian tiktock'er.

I'm interested that there's no blackout in the major cities. Is that not a thing that's done in modern warfare due to IR tech or whatever?

The blackout is more of an older war thing where finding the city is hard, and as your goal is to bomb "the city."
Now, the russian Air Force knows precisely the coordinates, and can find, each building it wants and looks for, and it certainly isn't struggling to find Kyiv from the sky, if that makes sense.

So blackout doesn't really offer anything, but keeping lights on helps defence and organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Both maybe?

That’s fair, I guess we can speculate that this is what Su-34 were brought in for.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Telsa Cola posted:

Both maybe?

The Russians don’t actually have much in the way of “smart bombs”; and they’ve likely blown through 90% of the smart munitions they do have.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

The Russians don’t actually have much in the way of “smart bombs”; and they’ve likely blown through 90% of the smart munitions they do have.

Source?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

El Grillo posted:

FYI twitter says this is from 2021 and is by a Russian tiktock'er.

I'm interested that there's no blackout in the major cities. Is that not a thing that's done in modern warfare due to IR tech or whatever?

apparently russians are using loving cell phones to communicate with each other so disabling power would hurt them as much as the ukranians

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

apparently russians are using loving cell phones to communicate with each other so disabling power would hurt them as much as the ukranians

...Wouldn't their movements be easy as gently caress the track?

What

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Aramis posted:

If a Russian financial institution goes under, what happens to States-side collateral of its debtors? Asking for a... friend...

In normal times the debt would get bought up by a different financial institution during bankruptcy proceedings and you would just owe money to the new bank. Now that Russia is effectively cut off from the rest of the world's financial institutions, that debt could only realistically be bought up by another Russian bank. However, that other Russian bank would have no way to collect international collateral if you defaulted on the debt.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend you stop paying your debts (assuming you have Rubles to pay it) since there's still a chance things normalize in a few months/years, in which case you could potentially be on the hook and have your collateral called.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can’t think of a single time sanctions for regime change have worked. People often cite South Africa as an example but that still feels wrong to me for some reason.

I'd say the difference is that the Apartheid regime was fundamentally illegitimate to the vast majority of South Africans so sanctions hurt since it stymied the regime's ability to prop itself up against its own population by doing things like maintaining a powerful enough army to head off unrest. Like the biggest fear of the Apartheid leaders was always a large scale civil war where they would never have an advantage in numbers, so they mostly relied on better weaponry, more money and pure brutality instead.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can’t think of a single time sanctions for regime change have worked. People often cite South Africa as an example but that still feels wrong to me for some reason.

Yeah, there are a lot of qualifiers on the case for sanctions making a difference. Here's a good paper from Yale on the subject. The conclusion is basically, "Ehhhhh...if sanctions helped, they did so indirectly":

quote:

The sanctions signaled the extent to which South Africa was isolated in the international community. While cultural sanctions played the same role, perhaps the greater cost of imposing trade sanctions sent a stronger signal. Although sanctions of one form or another had been in place for a long time, the ones of the mid-1980s included key South African allies such as the United States in a non-trivial way. While there was a substantial lag between the imposition of sanctions and the change of regime, it may have been unrealistic to expect instantaneous change.

So who knows, maybe that bodes well for these sanctions against Russia. Maybe not. We'll see.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

What

It would be, which is why it’s a very stupid thing to do! That’s how we could use Google Maps to monitor Russian convoys until Google disabled that feature earlier today - many vehicles had people actively using Android phones connected to cell network.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

What

their movements are easy as gently caress to track, how do you think NATO knows literally everything

Dont need super spy poo poo when the oppposing forces just yell everything out loud

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How would Russia retaliate against Trukey for closing the Bosporus straits? Would they really?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

How would Russia retaliate against Trukey for closing the Bosporus straits? Would they really?

They wouldn’t, it’s a NATO member that holds all their major ports, unaffected by permafrost, by the balls.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Not likely.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's not at WW2 levels where the Allies could decrypt German communications faster than their field commanders could, but we effectively have Marco Rubio providing real time commentary on the orders being given to Russian commanders.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Notahippie posted:

See also: Brexit and Northern Ireland. The EU approach gets less attention than the UK because it's the result of a bunch of extremely long and boring meetings rather than one or two main characters, but while the Brexit guys were drumming up populism, the EU quietly developed a very firm line on Northern Ireland and then stuck to it throughout come hell or high water.

Nearly all of us here in Northern Ireland are sincerely grateful for the E.U. sticking to their guns, we might have been dragged out of the E.U. due to Brexit but we know where we wish to be.

They are methodical in their work. :)

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Orban trying to ride two horses with one rear end. Can't we just once take the good side in a conflict...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It would be, which is why it’s a very stupid thing to do! That’s how we could use Google Maps to monitor Russian convoys until Google disabled that feature earlier today - many vehicles had people actively using Android phones connected to cell network.

And to think this era of Russian military is considered much improved from the 90's.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

They are methodical in their work. :)

Yeah this is basically the core superpower of EU bureaucratic apparatus. It can be slow and clunky, but once it commits to something you’ll have to crash an asteroid into Brussels to stop that from happening.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

TulliusCicero posted:

What

Yes. I posted something a few days ago, but in the 2014 war Russia jammed the military communications for a couple Ukrainian tank battalions. When the tank crews started calling each other with their cell phones, the Russians used that to get their locations. Then they dropped GLONASS-guided artillery on them. Basically deleted two tank battalions in a couple of minutes. The US Dept of Defense was apparently watching it in real-time via SIGINT and satellite and had an "oh, gently caress" moment, realizing that US formations would do the exact same thing as the Ukrainians.

If Russian formations are actually using insecure communications in TYOOL 2022, it speaks of a far less prepared Russian army than the West feared.

poo poo is still very bad for Ukraine, though. Numbers have a quality all their own, if it's not too gauche to paraphrase that saying in this context.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

Closing the straits is their prerogative according to a treaty to which Russia is a party.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

This just seems so unreal https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1498368499776901127

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Turkey has some sort of treaty-granted authority to do it; they're well within their rights. I don't see what Russia can really do but go along with it aside from maybe some passive aggressive cyberattack poo poo they could pretend they weren't behind. They're in no position to leverage any economic retribution, and they certainly won't engage militarily.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

And to think this era of Russian military is considered much improved from the 90's.

A major hubris source in 2008 Georgia war was unreliable comms technology, with commanders resorting to using their own phones or asking for journalist phones for battle comms. They explicitly noted that, and made reforms and tech investment to fix that, and now that has evaporated somewhere?

I sincerely can’t say that I get it. I can only assume that this all the Russian MIC grift floating belly up, like a dead fish.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah this is basically the core superpower of EU bureaucratic apparatus. It can be slow and clunky, but once it commits to something you’ll have to crash an asteroid into Brussels to stop that from happening.

the clancychat has gone too far

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s fair, I guess we can speculate that this is what Su-34 were brought in for.

The psychological effect(s) of sustained bombing can be valuable to an attacker; at this point, whittling away at morale and driving people out is a valuable strategy.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Also, the common reaction of the ultra-Orthodox Jewish community (as opposed to the rest of us who are all in the gently caress Putin camp), at least in the US, has been either "both sides have been awful to Jews, let them fight it out" or "Putin hasn't been as bad to the Jews and he says he's going to take out neo-Nazis, let him win"" but actually targeting a fleeing Israeli civilian might shift the sentiment.

Someone should tell them about the rocket attack on Uman, I suppose.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Any one of us would probably do the same thing but it's so wild that there are all these cases of people running out with AT rockets and apparently assigning one of their fellows to record them like they were recording a skateboarding tape. How does that conversation go down? "Hey, Peter, I'm going to go blow that tank up, get your phone out"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I remember doing this in Just Cause 2

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russians retreating from Sumy on foot, after abandoning their vehicles
https://twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/status/1498330052009807880

Ugh, what an awful march discipline. They are walking literally next to each other in a war zone. One of the very first things that you are taught in the army is that you have to keep distances. One unexpected mortar shell or machinegun burst would decapacitate the whole squad. These don't look like wartime soldiers but like a flock of clueless tourists.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Any one of us would probably do the same thing but it's so wild that there are all these cases of people running out with AT rockets and apparently assigning one of their fellows to record them like they were recording a skateboarding tape. How does that conversation go down? "Hey, Peter, I'm going to go blow that tank up, get your phone out"

Not enough Southern accent and "hold my beer"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Good luck to the Russian wannabe occupation government, if it materialises.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

A major hubris source in 2008 Georgia war was unreliable comms technology, with commanders resorting to using their own phones or asking for journalist phones for battle comms. They explicitly noted that, and made reforms and tech investment to fix that, and now that has evaporated somewhere?

I sincerely can’t say that I get it. I can only assume that this all the Russian MIC grift floating belly up, like a dead fish.

The tech reform money went to a comms company owned by some oligarch that took 80% of that money to buy yachts and condos in London. Only 20% of the promised equipment made it to a general, and then 50% of that was sold on the black market so that the general can buy a new apt in Moscow and a few BMWs. Whatever made it to the army did not have enough spare parts due to not having any extras, and also came without a budget for maintenance.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 28, 2022

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my completely unsubstantiated belief is that the units with actual stuff like training and secure comms are kept on a short leash by Putin in event of a palace coup.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Majorian posted:

We'll see.

Not to attack you, but have you reviewed any of you old positions in this thread? I just went back and looked at a few and you were arguing passionately that putin wasnt crazy enough to invade and that there wasn't a political will inside nato to make putin pay. Neither of those were bad assumptions (and I thought along the same lines) but they were both completely wrong. Things change and we have to change with them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Rednecks around the globe. Makes me happy.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

khwarezm posted:

If major military action ceases but the Russians and Ukrainians can't come to an agreement over Crimea or the Donbas with the Russians still essentially staying in those places like they have been for years will that be reason enough to maintain sanctions and the other economic measures we've seen? Because, while I think Ukraine's territorial integrity should be respected, especially in Luhansk and Donetsk, I don't think it would justify such stringent measures that damages the lives of the average Russian like that at that point.

As long as Russia violates Ukrainian sovereignty full sanctions should be applied, I don't think they will, but they should. And honestly, gently caress the average Russian while their military is indiscriminately bombing Ukrainian cities.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
:nms:

People have been asking a lot about drone stuff. Here you go.

Content warning that this footage of drone strikes so yeah you know what to expect

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1498371944055455753?s=21

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 28, 2022

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rad Russian posted:

The tech reform money went to a comms company owned by some oligarch that took 80% of that money to buy yachts and condos in London.

And with the rest they just went on Alibaba and bought a load of off-the-shelf Baofengs, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

the clancychat has gone too far

But I haven’t even posted about my federalist vision of EU 2030. :(