Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I love that they were so stupid that they thought that young guns thing would work. I can't believe they nailed every episode of this season. This is Danny McBride's magnum opus

They saw it happen in Young Guns. A chest was tossed out of a building and Emilio Estevez pops out and shoots people. Except, that's not a thing that can happen in real life, so instead she's disoriented from falling off the balcony in a box and can't figure out where to shoot.

They tossed a couple throw pillows off the balcony to cushion the box :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

His sling injury getting more grotesquely swollen had me cracking up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The best part is that they could have won that fight if they weren't childish idiots.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

I completely lost it at Jesse's panic decision to "hide" the body on the beach.

yes, incredible visual gag in the smash cut to eric andre face down in the sand with various nearby garbage heaped on him

just that whole sequence - running to tackle jesse, "you gonna tell!!!", choking with sand, jesse finding a rock, "you carry a fuckin sling?!" AND the sling is gemstone branded - simply amazing how the big showdown of the season comes off like a comedic farce where two morons in conflict becomes a thriller to see which one fucks up least

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 28, 2022

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Props to Eric Andre for taking a whole loving mouth full of sand for the bit. I feel like you wouldn’t be able to eat without biting sand for the next week.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The revelation in the beginning with Lyle leading his mean to confront Thaniel had me busting. Lyle was just as loving stupid and incompetent as Jesse, just willing to go a couple degrees more evil. I swear when Jesse was discussing with his men heading to Memphis they talked about using grenades.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
So, was there actual dirt on Amy Leigh? I feel like the reporter was just fishing at that point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

They saw it happen in Young Guns. A chest was tossed out of a building and Emilio Estevez pops out and shoots people. Except, that's not a thing that can happen in real life, so instead she's disoriented from falling off the balcony in a box and can't figure out where to shoot.

I can't believe I didn't make that connection. That makes it so much funnier.

bobkatt013 posted:

He told the truth manscaping accident

Oh ok I totally thought he was lying, then forgot about that part.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

resident posted:

Props to Eric Andre for taking a whole loving mouth full of sand for the bit. I feel like you wouldn’t be able to eat without biting sand for the next week.

It had to have been cornmeal or something. Then again it's eric andre so who knows.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

I can't believe I didn't make that connection. That makes it so much funnier.

They actually show the exact scene they're referencing moments before, it's the movie the Lisson's are watching before the motorcycle ninja's show up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zr-B5aIEvE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The World Inferno posted:

They actually show the exact scene they're referencing moments before, it's the movie the Lisson's are watching before the motorcycle ninja's show up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zr-B5aIEvE

Man, it's a shame she couldn't watch the rest of it; looks like everyone fuckin dies.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol, they still had frag and concussion grenades on the bed in the last scene

yeah that fight could have gone way differently

also the snowmobiler with the sniper rifle had red curly hair and the lisson is running away is very similar to the jesse butt shot in season 1...

actually on second look that might not be her but it would be Cool

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vulture.com%2Farticle%2Fdanny-mcbride-righteous-gemstones-season-2-interview.html

great interview. McBride is so loving smart

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Did the Gemstones absorb the entire Lisson's operation? They have the time share and the biker ninjas so that does make some sense.

edit: I totally forgot to mention John Amos. loving perfect casting. In that interview, McBride is right. I would absolutely love to see the story of him and his family.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 28, 2022

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Eric Andre really took a mouthful of sand huh lmao

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Big Godfather 1 energy in the last 5 minutes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laughed out loud reading the words "we really want to see what Walton is going to do with this, so we have to leave it in".

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

Big Godfather 1 energy in the last 5 minutes

That interview posted above is good and yea it was definitely the inspiration for that whole scene.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

moist turtleneck posted:

also the snowmobiler with the sniper rifle had red curly hair and the lisson is running away is very similar to the jesse butt shot in season 1...

actually on second look that might not be her but it would be Cool

I noticed that too and felt it was heavily implied to be her on account of that in addition to the fact that we know she is an excellent marksman and the fact that Eli seems to trust people that are "family" rather than blood relations most of all (Martin, Junior).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I imagine with both the principles having fled the country and their other rep being someone who hates them, negotiating for the rest of Zions‘s landing was easy. The Jonas brothers still have a huge stake I bet.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
Excellent episode. Everything came together perfectly. HBO should let McBride make at least 10 seasons. I hope Junior becomes a series regular.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’m sad that Jonas theory wasnt true but absolutely everything else was great. Also possibly a macaulay culkin cameo in future seasons based on him being around in the final scene.

Technically The Jonas Brother WAS involved, I bet his cash went on some of the guns and bikes.

resident posted:

Eric Andre is dedicated as gently caress so him getting a mouth full of sand is totally realistic.

https://larecord.com/archive/2016/10/25/eric-andre-interview

"making GBS threads Christ Kelvin, don't use the word groom!"

WonkyBob fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 28, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hoisting a neonate out of a portapotty by the umbilical is a new sentence in the English language that I just wrote.

AV Club has been giving this show straight A/A-s all season, but gave this one a B?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

zoux posted:

Hoisting a neonate out of a portapotty by the umbilical is a new sentence in the English language that I just wrote.

AV Club has been giving this show straight A/A-s all season, but gave this one a B?

Hasn't AV club been poo poo for a while?

WonkyBob posted:

Excellent episode. Everything came together perfectly. HBO should let McBride make at least 10 seasons. I hope Junior becomes a series regular.

Between EB&D, Vice Principals, and this show, they've done 8 seasons of TV for HBO. I'd say they're in that club where HBO lets them do whatever they want, like what Larry David does. If they have 10 seasons worth of stories to tell, sure why the hell not.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

zoux posted:

great ep but i did think it was the weakest of the season

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i didn't like eli being involved in the lisson's death. those kids already had it out for them, its reasonable they would've hunted them down anyways. it should've just been totally their own comeuppance. would've been a more christian ending. otherwise everything really landed i thought

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

great ep but i did think it was the weakest of the season

The portable toilet gag puts it into S tier territory.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

"I would like nothing more than to bang your played out mother pussy for the rest of my life." Is such a good line and the delivery was perfect. Each “couple” is so expertly played it’s amazing. I get why people might not like Danny McBride as a singular comedian and would be turned off by EB&D but his ensemble work is fantastic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is a pro-read, and I'll never get over the difference between irl Danny McBride and onscreen Danny McBride.

to wit:

"I would like nothing more than to bang your played out mother pussy for the rest of my life." Is such a good line and the delivery was perfect. Each “couple” is so expertly played it’s amazing. I get why people might not like Danny McBride as a singular comedian and would be turned off by EB&D but his ensemble work is fantastic.

quote:

Gemstones feels like a very generous show in that way. It’s difficult to label anybody a scene-stealer because everybody is stealing scenes all the time. I’m curious about how you maintain that as a writer and director.

I remember when I would watch studio comedies in the ’90s, there was this formula where there was only allowed to be one funny person in the movie. Or a lot of the comedy would center around one comedian who was really, really loving funny, but then it’s just a bunch of people kind of standing around — either straight men to that comedian, or just sort of paper targets. I love when it’s not that. I’ve always gravitated toward ensemble comedies because I like picking who I think is funny, as a viewer. I don’t want to be told, This is the one person you’re laughing at.

When I was a kid, I devoured The Goonies; it was like my favorite movie of all time. It was hard to pick a character that I liked more than others because I liked them all. That made the movie feel layered, it made it feel fun, it made it feel rich. So with this show, that’s what I want to do as well. I want there to be discussions about which character people like the most. I feel like that means it’s working, because everyone’s been given ample real estate to establish themselves and to flex their comedic chops. People can choose what they like the most about it.

"When we made Eastbound, that whole show just centered around Kenny Powers. I was in almost every single scene for that show except for a handful. So I think whether you liked that show or not was determined on whether you liked me as a comedian or not, which I think can limit what the audience is. Everyone gets tickled in different ways, and so I feel like embracing an ensemble and embracing these different performances and their different comedic sensibilities, it just allows for more people to show up and watch."

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 28, 2022

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i loved that.

i also really loved Jesse and Amber successfully counseling Mandy and Chad

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I highly doubt that Amber was supposed to be one of the snowmobile killers. One of the older kids that is one of the “leaders” has a wavy red mullet.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
What a great finale to a tremendous season. I was cracking up so much the entire time that I can't point to just one thing that really stood out.

Although I really loved the sudden John Amos cameo as the elder Lisson.

I was also happy for Keef that he got to sit at the table with Kelvin at church lunch.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s funny that the bikers laughed at “who are you working for, we’ll pay you“. And then not only did they try and double their price, they ended up working for that person.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Freaquency posted:

I highly doubt that Amber was supposed to be one of the snowmobile killers. One of the older kids that is one of the “leaders” has a wavy red mullet.

Yeah, they wouldn't have left us to guess on that, they would've explicitly shown it. I think it's pretty clear that Martin just tipped off the Cycle Ninjas and let nature take its course.

Lyle's post-stoning gibberish was creepy as gently caress. Flipping back and forth between that and the toilet baby saga was great, though.

"Hi, hello. Would you all please come with me? I just killed someone." is my vote for line read of the episode.

And concussed Lindy popping out of the chest at the end. And the whole explanation of the massacre that kicked off the season. I didn't expect that to tie up so neatly but the instant we saw that Lyle and his buddies are just Jesse and his buddies but somehow dumber it all clicked.

Great episode.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 28, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I used to dislike Danny McBride in stuff (first time I saw him was in This Is The End, and a few Kenny Powers clips), but once I watched The Righteous Gemstones, and then Vice Principals, and currently going through EB&D, my mind totally changed. I mean, I didn't not like the person, but his comedy felt very one-note.

Turns out, even if I no longer think that's true, I actually like that note just fine.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I have to give credit for junior responding to Eli by saying “Aye.” Subtle but wrong

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Sash! posted:

I completely lost it at Jesse's panic decision to "hide" the body on the beach.

:same:, times a thousand.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hasn't AV club been poo poo for a while?

They were sliding for ages then lost most of the decent staff last month. RIP to AVC.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Between EB&D, Vice Principals, and this show, they've done 8 seasons of TV for HBO. I'd say they're in that club where HBO lets them do whatever they want, like what Larry David does. If they have 10 seasons worth of stories to tell, sure why the hell not.

Great sitch to be in. That LD documentary they're showing this week looks interesting.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WonkyBob posted:

They were sliding for ages then lost most of the decent staff last month. RIP to AVC.

Great sitch to be in. That LD documentary they're showing this week looks interesting.

LD?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Larry David I assume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I used to dislike Danny McBride in stuff (first time I saw him was in This Is The End, and a few Kenny Powers clips), but once I watched The Righteous Gemstones, and then Vice Principals, and currently going through EB&D, my mind totally changed. I mean, I didn't not like the person, but his comedy felt very one-note.

Turns out, even if I no longer think that's true, I actually like that note just fine.

You should definitely check out The Foot Fist Way. It's ground zero for the Jody Hill/Danny McBride stuff. It's streaming on Hulu right now. Danny McBride's character in that is a Proto-Kenny.