Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang when was the last time a weapon from Luxembourg's arsenal was fired in anger in a European war? At this rate we're gonna have Irish coast guard ships sinking transports in the Black Sea by the end of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1498384041044844545

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/civmilair/status/1498385694020063240?s=21

This one trick allows you to get excellent firing data. Putin hates it!

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
https://twitter.com/OSINTNS/status/1498359109095239686
What was miles long on that same highway?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cythereal posted:

I'm only listing nations I've seen an official announcement for. I've seen chatter but no official source for Portugal, Romania, Australia, Turkey, and Italy all supposedly either sending stuff already or are in the process of setting up such.

I believe Australia has sanctioned Russia but I don't remember the exact details, I'll look it up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lmao, I was waiting for that to happen

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Twitter thread says the Russian column was on a different highway so it’s not that.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Here's a little thought exercise. What's the probability of the Russian Army Chief of Staff, that just got fired, having decided when Putin came up with this plan, to just go "nope, not starting WWIII for this idiot" and actually actively working out a plan that he knew could not succeed?

I understand there's a huge staff in these cases and the chances are incredibly small but would it even be feasible?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I doubt it, top commanders aren't deep enough in the weeds to cause the kind of extremely basic fuckups at the individual and platoon level that we've been seeing over and over.

This is the product of decades of institutional rot plain and simple.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

In 10 years time as one of his final works Armando Iannucci will do "Death of Stalin 2: Putin on the Ritz"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Let's check in on NBC News Chief Foreign Correspondent
https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1498381591306981379

The trolley problem except one track provokes nuclear retaliation and he thinks it is the moral option.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My unserious reaction to seeing that convoy is "how fast can we get the Ukrainians an A-10?"

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Soylent Pudding posted:

My unserious reaction to seeing that convoy is "how fast can we get the Ukrainians an A-10?"

Why can't we do what Regan was going to do to help out the English during the Falklands war?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I mean this is a huge danger. Imagine what you're feeling as in increasingly stressed out Putin or general as you watch a cargo plane or truck convoy full of stingers/javs trundle in.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soylent Pudding posted:

Okay that’s weird I was just about to post the same thing.

Can we sell them for like a dollar or donate them or transfer and then Ukrainians can hire contractors? wink wink

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
My serious reaction is that it's a mistake the Russians will only make once (or maybe not!!), so I hope the Ukrainians are capitalizing on it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Quick question to those with military experience: Are there special rules for just putting out indirect fire into an urban area? Say general prohibitions on indiscriminate shelling of a major urban center?

I know this was already somewhat answered but I wanted to add something. Generally speaking the Law of Armed Conflict (LOAC) can be boiled down to three over-arching ideas:

1) Don't intentionally target civilians
2) You must make as much of an effort as military necessity allows to avoid hitting/killing civilians
3) Any action taken which knowingly kills/harms civilians through collateral damage must provide a specific military advantage proportional to the risk/harm

Targeting civilian infrastructure such as powerplants, bridges, etc falls under rule 3) because the infrastructure itself is a valid target because of it's dual-use. So this is why killing a couple janitors in a strike on a powerplant is not a war-crime, but if the only way you can do it is also leveling a couple city blocks it very well might be.

Leveling an apartment building that an enemy force has occupied as a fighting position is not a war crime, even if there may still be civilians in it, as long as you're not doing something like dropping a building full of people because of a single sniper. It's all very squishy and outside clear, intentional war crimes it basically comes down to did the military did a reasonable enough job not killing/endangering more people than they absolutely had to get the job done.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Let's check in on NBC News Chief Foreign Correspondent
https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1498381591306981379

The trolley problem except one track provokes nuclear retaliation and he thinks it is the moral option.

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPttsh0Alc

I agree with you, it's a stupid loving idea and I've really started to lose patience with all of the "let's start a no-fly zone!/let the special forces go in!/send some A-10s!" takes that seem to ignore the whole part about it essentially kicking off WW3

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPttsh0Alc

I agree with you, it's a stupid loving idea and I've really started to lose patience with all of the "let's start a no-fly zone!/let the special forces go in!/send some A-10s!" takes that seem to ignore the whole part about it essentially kicking off WW3

Counterpoint to that counterpoint, I kind of want to call his bluff. It's the fatalistic nihilist in me, but I want to see if the Russian staff would refuse to carry out the orders if pooty was to try and order a strike.

Edit: Also I'd love to see what China's reaction to this escalation is, I'd like to hope that they're telling Russia to turn it the gently caress down.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Norway [probably] joins the dogpile.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1498391416074125315

I think more ATGMs have been pledged than Russia has tanks.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I keep thinking maybe the guys with the javelins didn't want to walk that far and they're still waiting in the woods.

I cannot fathom this not being THE target for the entirety of UA's military.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1498389128806899720?t=fH5PGUHLzhnMUBsGc4Lvjg&s=19

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

I keep thinking maybe the guys with the javelins didn't want to walk that far and they're still waiting in the woods.

I cannot fathom this not being THE target for the entirety of UA's military.

It's too bad some HIMARS or MLRS of our own can't just wander onto the border for the Ukranians to mysteriously find.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

:flashfap:

quote:

Ever since the Georgia invasion I've just been spamming this clip at all the "we should send a carrier, do a not fly zone, etc hot takes." https://youtu.be/rY7v21Zy1yE

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Soylent Pudding posted:

Aren't A-10's incredibly susceptible to any sort of modern MADPAD or SAM? Like great in an uncontested environment where the dirt doesn't shoot back, but these days I imagine 'fat and slow' to be asking to be killed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/2948793/senior-defense-official-holds-an-off-camera-press-briefing/

tl;dr, Russia still making forward progress but slow, Mauripol and Kharkiv at most risk of falling and potentially cutting off UKR forces in the East, airspace still contested, cannot confirm Chechen or Belorussian activation, cannot assess whether any of the observed Russian damage to civilians is deliberate or incidental to war, just under 75% commitment of forces pre-staged into Ukraine, no further mobilization observed in Russia.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's very strange to me that A-10s could potentially operate as designed, against the Russian loving Army without getting immediately blotted out of the sky by, you know, the world class IADS the Russians are supposed to possess.

Yet here we are watching Ukrainian drones dunk on armored columns repeatedly.

M_Gargantua posted:

Aren't A-10's incredibly susceptible to any sort of modern MADPAD or SAM? Like great in an uncontested environment where the dirt doesn't shoot back, but these days I imagine 'fat and slow' to be asking to be killed.

Oh yes, absolutely. See: Desert Storm and the restrictions placed on them to keep them out of harms way. However, Russian air defense seems to be a clownshow at the moment.... You just know some pilot somewhere saw that convoy packed 3 or 4 trucks wide across the road, a mile long, and got all giddy.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 28, 2022

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

M_Gargantua posted:

very, but then again literally no one on the Russian side seems to be doing any sort of anti-air?

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Ukraine MoD just claimed 96 tanks, 20 Grad MLRS & 8 fuel trucks on a hit on a fuel dump in the east of Kyiv.
This isn't tonight's convoy but a pretty big win if true. Probably video in a few hours.
https://twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/status/1498381064565317638

Auto translate
'96 enemy tanks, 20 grads, and 8 gasoline tankers were burned by artillery and precise strikes of the Bayraktars near Lebedin.
It was a Russian refueling base.
The positions of the "Grad" were also taken down.'

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

aphid_licker posted:

I mean this is a huge danger. Imagine what you're feeling as in increasingly stressed out Putin or general as you watch a cargo plane or truck convoy full of stingers/javs trundle in.

Putin always has the option of packing it in and going home. The choice is his alone.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Arrath posted:

It's very strange to me that A-10s could potential operate as designed, against the Russian loving Army without getting immediately blotted out of the sky by, you know, the world class IADS the Russians are supposed to possess.

Oh yes, absolutely. See: Desert Storm and the restrictions placed on them to keep them out of harms way. However, Russian air defense seems to be a clownshow at the moment....

And these are almost all Turkish Baykar Bayraktar TB2s being used by the Ukrainians. As a fairly affordable UAV, they are not that fast and their service ceiling is not that high. They are definitely more vulnerable than A-10s.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

1940-1945, actually.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mmtt posted:

Ukraine MoD just claimed 96 tanks, 20 Grad MLRS & 8 fuel trucks on a hit on a fuel dump in the east of Kyiv.
This isn't tonight's convoy but a pretty big win if true. Probably video in a few hours.

Auto translate
'96 enemy tanks, 20 grads, and 8 gasoline tankers were burned by artillery and precise strikes of the Bayraktars near Lebedin.

loving hell.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Edit: Also I'd love to see what China's reaction to this escalation is, I'd like to hope that they're telling Russia to turn it the gently caress down.

From all the tea leaves reading I've seen, the impression seems to be two things.

One, China is a *tad* annoyed with part of Russia's justification for invading Ukraine, namely the whole recognizing two Ukrainian provinces declaring independence and Russia swooping in to recognize them. Cause China would prefer that maybe great powers don't start giving precedent to other countries that they can start recognizing territory as independent states that other states feel are rightfully theirs for whatever reason. Had Russia left that part out of their reasoning as to why they were invading, it's probable China would be far less neutral then they are right now.

The other, is China is pretty confident in itself that they are the ascending great power, and there is zero upside for them to jump into this on Russia's behalf when they can just continue to let things play out and reap the rewards. If Russia want's to tank their economy and give China more openings for foreign investment and what not, no skin off their back.

Arrath posted:

It's very strange to me that A-10s could potentially operate as designed, against the Russian loving Army without getting immediately blotted out of the sky by, you know, the world class IADS the Russians are supposed to possess.

It's like having Jordan being benched for reasons beyond your control, but you're watching Muggsy Bogues just score dunk after dunk despite feeling like it shouldn't even be possible.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

very, but then again literally no one on the Russian side seems to be doing any sort of anti-air?

Maybe they left their AA at home because they didn't think they'd need it after D+1

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

From all the tea leaves reading I've seen, the impression seems to be two things.

One, China is a *tad* annoyed with part of Russia's justification for invading Ukraine, namely the whole recognizing two Ukrainian provinces declaring independence and Russia swooping in to recognize them. Cause China would prefer that maybe great powers don't start giving precedent to other countries that they can start recognizing territory that other states feel are rightfully theirs for whatever reason.

The other, is China is pretty confident in itself that they are the ascending great power, and there is zero upside for them to jump into this on Russia's behalf when they can just continue to let things play out and reap the rewards. If Russia want's to tank their economy and give China more openings for foreign investment and what not, no skin off their back.

It's like having Jordan being benched for reasons beyond your control, but you're watching Muggsy Bogues just score dunk after dunk despite feeling like it shouldn't even be possible.

I should have specified, but I was meaning more Russia's nuclear threats and if China is taking them seriously. If they are taking the threats seriously, then I'd love to know just what they're telling Russia.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mmtt posted:

Auto translate

When did the JSTARS get on station? :thunk:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

mmtt posted:

Auto translate

Wow if that's accurate (hell even half that number), that's just insane.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I should have specified, but I was meaning more Russia's nuclear threats and if China is taking them seriously. If they are taking the threats seriously, then I'd love to know just what they're telling Russia.

Ah gotcha. I can't imagine it's joyful enthusiasm.

mmtt posted:

Auto translate

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bees everywhere posted:

Maybe they left their AA at home because they didn't think they'd need it after D+1

Whats hosed up is we know its there, as drones keep hitting it. They just arent using it because ????