Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In russias defense (lol) this is a reevaluation of current doctrine war Like railroads in us civil war or Calvary in ww1 because it’s looking like tanks are p obsolete with how much anti tank tech has advanced

Not really, they're just using tanks in the absolute worst way possible, which is on clearly defined paths via roads and with little to no air cover or infantry protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Can’t believe the threat to steal all the money in Russia was a bluff. Sorry guys looks like Lupin the 3rds’s sitting this one out!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Just Chamber posted:

If Russian does "win" and occupy a good chunk Ukraine it's just going to be so easy for partisan groups to operate. All of that captured Russian equipment, uniforms etc on top of the fact that unlike say the middle east, the occupied people look exactly like the occupiers and many of them speak the same language, it's going to be a nightmare for the Russians when it comes to insurgency attacks on their troops. Of course this will likely have the horrible effect of those Russians being a lot more trigger happy around anyone that acts even a little shady.

There's absolutely no way Russia has the resources to fully occupy country the size of Ukraine given that they do not and will not have the support of the local army ever in our life time.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dog Friday posted:

Are you just fully dead if you are one of those little pixel guys walking around the convoy?

Probably safe to say, if you're within some 30ft from the vehicle that gets hit.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In russias defense (lol) this is a reevaluation of current doctrine war Like railroads in us civil war or Calvary in ww1 because it’s looking like tanks are p obsolete with how much anti tank tech has advanced

TBH they're using tanks like clowns. If you look how other countries deploy that (excl. Israel in some cases), there's always infantry support to prevent these random RPG shots from the side, at which point the tank becomes something with a cannon that is accurate up to a few kilometres, more machine gun firepower than a squad can carry on itself, and an impenetrable infantry cover in urban combat.

Israel caveat was because they frequently put active rocket defences on Merkavas, which would just maim or kill any infantry around when triggering.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, this is a thing that happens?

Military dudes stealing/selling equipment to the locals is literally a tale as old as time.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So how many of those "major explosions" we saw have been Russian fuel convoys fragged by drones? :stare:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shes Not Impressed posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498383515997585408?s=20&t=DPc2V3KhUh7RaG4g0Vo72Q

Hey there's always a chance anonymous has developed quantum computing to reverse prime primes!

Deleted tweet.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Deleted tweet.

They corrected it as a fake.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also, I think its good to remind ourselves that these Russian soldiers deserve some sympathy as they are being led to death by tyrant. It's just sad all around.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tweet has already been deleted, and Anon have denied this being an aim. Plus I don't even think its possible unless you are like Mr Robot or someone.

https://twitter.com/LiteMods/status/1498382081222713354

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hackers empty several million bank accounts simultaneously all the time that’s why youre always waking up and hearing about how belgiums on the barter system now

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, this is a thing that happens?

Zerkalo.by even made a tally of how many times it was promised, there was at least a dozen from various senior officials such as embassador to the UN and Lavrov himself, they never promised there won't be a special operation though!

E: oh I got it. Yes, at least in Belarus they were selling various crap to buy vodka

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1498381975022940167?s=20&t=Nu22yNIfCCRf5JEB91wBqQ
a decent analysis afaict from someone knowledgeable on the topic

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Hackers empty several million bank accounts simultaneously all the time that’s why youre always waking up and hearing about how belgiums on the barter system now

I'd live in a society where waffles were the currency of exchange.:yum:

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is why I have no money and must scream

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

If Russian does "win" and occupy a good chunk Ukraine it's just going to be so easy for partisan groups to operate. All of that captured Russian equipment, uniforms etc on top of the fact that unlike say the middle east, the occupied people look exactly like the occupiers and many of them speak the same language, it's going to be a nightmare for the Russians when it comes to insurgency attacks on their troops. Of course this will likely have the horrible effect of those Russians being a lot more trigger happy around anyone that acts even a little shady.

An insurgency with the backing of the population is... well it will not be nice for anyone at all. :jihad: :ohdear:

My knowledge is limited to my own upbringing in this regard.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ukraine singlehandedly trying to prop up the ruble on the forex markets, godspeed :ukraine:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Probably not. This has vibes of the Israeli war that first had anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs). Everyone said the same thing, then, but tactics evolved (spoiler: combined arms is still important). This war will likely see tactics shift, although they were already starting to as a result of the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war. Armor still has it's place: it just can't go dashing off on its own, or stack up along a road with no spacing or local security.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kofman is great and this is a particularly fantastic thread, thank you for sharing.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ukraine singlehandedly trying to prop up the ruble on the forex markets, godspeed :ukraine:

Ukraine should use the billions in aid to buy all the publically traded companies in Russia which are discounted 50-60% now. And then take over the country that way, make Russia a client state, and fire all the oligarchs.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Telsa Cola posted:

I kindaaaa buy it because it explains a lot of things.

For clarification I don't think it would be true anymore with current/newer troops.

I mean it's the Russian army. Generally there you are basically just told go to point A at 6 AM with all your gear, but you are most likely not told where you will be going or what the plan is. Just go to some point and wait for further instructions kind of thing. So the smarter private will have some gut feeling. Once you are point A you'll be told you are going to point B now. Etc

So it's plausible that the guys on the first day had not much of an idea until they obviously were kind of crossing the border and so on.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know we shouldn't take the Ukrainian numbers at face value but let's assume the 5K number is halved to 2.5k soldiers killed, isn't losing 2.5% of your operational force before you have even conquered a major city a major loss in terms of man power?

FWIW normally you can expect 1/3 of all casualties to be killed in action and 2/3 wounded in action. So if we believed the claim that 5400 Russians were KIA then total casualties would be over 16k. Or if we take the 5400 as total casualties then there would be almost 2k KIA.

Anyway if those figures are true then I think we're going to start noticing messages from Russia of military hospital personnel getting exhausted and families at home getting very angry at their sons ending dead or disabled while the media spouts just lies.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GABA ghoul posted:

An aspect I haven't even considered is that if Ukraine ends up under occupation, Russia will neither have the interest nor the funds to rebuild the country and under Russian control Ukraine won't be able to do it itself. Seems like their only hope to escape generations of crippling poverty and living in ruins is through winning this war and keeping independence. I guess that's another thing people are fighting for now.

They are fighting for their future, not just now but for every Ukrainian stretching decades if not centuries into the future. That is, legitimately, what's at stake here. And they are very aware of this.

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1498270787081547777 -non-graphic video of buildings being hit in Kharkiv. Looks loving brutal.

Looks like more cluster munitions?

TheRat posted:

I'm not sure where you're from, but as someone living in western europe I don't think you realise how little western europeans thinks of eastern europe. The anti-eastern racism is real bad.

Well the response from the people actually running the countries in question seems to suggest otherwise, to some extent at least. The prevailing opinion, and maybe partially this is more due to hatred of Russia/Putin more than total love of Ukraine, is that Ukrainians are Europeans and should be defended as such.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just in: Finland is sending 70 000 food packets to Ukraine. I guess we're on Putin's side after all :(

Sounds like food is very much needed, especially in some parts of the country (specifically parts close to Finland), actually

Upgrade posted:

Ruble?

More like rubble!

I’ll see myself out.

I think that word be best, yes

Nenonen posted:

America's president is of course Dzo Baiden, thankfully there's no ambiguity there.

From now on I will always feign complete ignorance about some 'Joe Biden' fellow.

'Oh, you mean Dzo Baiden, the president of the United States? Well OF COURSE I know who that is, why didn't you say so?'

I think it's just cheap points - scoring / Godwinning more than an actual threat

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kofman is great and this is a particularly fantastic thread, thank you for sharing.

he added a zinger to cap it out
https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1498388359437246471?s=20&t=Nu22yNIfCCRf5JEB91wBqQ

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

TLDR - Russia miscalculated, but they now have egg on their faces and are going to bring in the heavy guns and turn the major cities into rubble.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Upgrade posted:

Ruble?

More like rubble!

I’ll see myself out.

No you see, this war is very good for the Ruble because...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

One of the good points in here (there is a lot) is that Ukraine is doing a very good job publicizing their wins; they are not publicizing their losses and neither is Russia effectively publicizing its wins. As a result the picture people are getting is very distorted.

And I think I agree that people are watching a bad strategy fail and assuming it's the entire capability of the Russian army, and not a bad strategy that is going to cost them heavy losses but that they can revise and go back to basics and recover, unfortunately.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Probably not. This has vibes of the Israeli war that first had anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs). Everyone said the same thing, then, but tactics evolved (spoiler: combined arms is still important). This war will likely see tactics shift, although they were already starting to as a result of the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war. Armor still has it's place: it just can't go dashing off on its own, or stack up along a road with no spacing or local security.

The thing that's somewhat weird about it is that much of this seems to have been known already--I'm not sure it's really a matter of tactics shifting, or it shouldn't be. A modern military like the Russian military should not really be surprised by it.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
So, completely off the wall hypothetical

Say Russia is using outdated conventional tank warfare strategy and bad tactics that they take such heavy losses they can't stay in an unlosable fight long enough to win does a massive unexpected loss like that lead to a civil war or something? What happens to their nuclear stockpile if Putin shatters the country against a weaker opponent because they didn't account for mud, fuel or 21st century anti armor munitions?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

This is incredibly generous, where is Ukraine getting all this money? From what I can tell, the average annual income of a Russian is about 600,000 rubles. A private in the Russian army makes about 360,000 rubles a year.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

poo poo, now we gone and gave all our helmets away

knowing German defense industry, we gonna use the the 100 billion extra to buy 1000 new helmets, 500 of which work. But they will have spotify.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rectal Death Adept posted:

So, completely off the wall hypothetical

Say Russia is using outdated conventional tank warfare strategy and bad tactics that they take such heavy losses they can't stay in an unlosable fight long enough to win does a massive unexpected loss like that lead to a civil war or something? What happens to their nuclear stockpile if Putin shatters the country against a weaker opponent because they didn't account for mud, fuel or 21st century anti armor munitions?

in the rainbows and unicorns world where putin is overthrown because of this, the fighting is palace coups, not regions raising armies. whoever gets control of enough of the security services to have their enemies shot and not get shot themselves wins.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

evilweasel posted:

And I think I agree that people are watching a bad strategy fail and assuming it's the entire capability of the Russian army, and not a bad strategy that is going to cost them heavy losses but that they can revise and go back to basics and recover, unfortunately.

That's true, but the degree to which the people calling the shots completely miscalculated what "invading Ukraine" would actually look like suggests that there may be internal problems complicating efforts to readjust and move forward. I'm basically picturing the entire head office of a mid-sized American corporation trying to get the CEO to think the steps needed to get out of a self-made mess were, in fact, his idea all along.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

evilweasel posted:

One of the good points in here (there is a lot) is that Ukraine is doing a very good job publicizing their wins; they are not publicizing their losses and neither is Russia effectively publicizing its wins. As a result the picture people are getting is very distorted.

I think the Russian economy collapsing and no way to pay/ supply troops effectively very much changes the calculus to me.

Like Russia can level cities with their mass artillery sure but you need payed guys to commit war crimes.

Ukraine just has to hold out until something snaps in Russia and they sue for peace and pull back

The increasing saber rattling by the demented old man tells me the sanctions are working.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

William Bear posted:

This is incredibly generous, where is Ukraine getting all this money? From what I can tell, the average annual income of a Russian is about 600,000 rubles. A private in the Russian army makes about 360,000 rubles a year.

The limitless money of the West.

evilweasel posted:

The issue is we're also seeing bad basics: battalion tactical groups not coordinating within themselves, exposed supply convoys, sub-par performance by special forces.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Thinking about cashing out my life savings and buying up huge chunks of the Russian economy on the cheap, becoming a Russian oligarch

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Haramstufe Rot posted:

poo poo, now we gone and gave all our helmets away

knowing German defense industry, we gonna use the the 100 billion extra to buy 1000 new helmets, 500 of which work. But they will have spotify.

Germany used its defense budget to make flying Tigers, the 100 billions should be enough to add a McKinsey consultant to every tank.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

surf rock posted:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1498366362540032001

As always, caveat that a bunch of videos have been misattributed to this war, but jesus christ

That looks like one of the grand theft APC's that was lifted by one of the farmers blue tractors [ you can see the tractor at the end of the video]

/edit beaten, this thread moves fast

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

GABA ghoul posted:

Thinking about cashing out my life savings and buying up huge chunks of the Russian economy on the cheap, becoming a Russian oligarch

As soon as putin is out it would be smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

GABA ghoul posted:

Pros: near-limitless wealth, proximity to power, almost total lack of accountability
Cons: wealth can only be spent on the tackiest possible poo poo, proximity to deranged dictator, accountable to accidental falls