Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does come to mind how a lot of tech media was underwhelmed by the iPhone being all 'Well it doesn't do anything new' and not really getting that actually putting those things into a nice form factor and easy UI compared to everything else suddenly gave it mainstream appeal. Similar to how the iPod may have been overpriced and a walled garden by MP3 player standards of the time, but unlike most at the time it actually worked reliably and was easy to use, and tied in with a convenient way to actually buy digital music. (Breaking the RIAA's back was kind of a key thing there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

FFT posted:

Have you internalized the "snake people" -> "snake people" extension to the point that you're doing it unintentionally like newbies used to throw around "gently caress"

No, I just have the extension because I'm too lazy to get rid of it and it keeps changing my posts. From inside the thread, etc etc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nottherealaborn posted:

In fact, around the time of iPhone 3, maybe, I distinctly remember many smartphones were made water resistant, and they actively chose not to make the iPhone water resistant because it forced more people to buy an iPhone more often when it got dropped in the toilet, etc.
See also the MagSafe power cords, which have been a discardable part for at least a decade because they fray easily. Never fixed, because replacement cords are a profit center.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not anymore, they just reintroduced them after being inexplicably gone for years, and now it's a flexible braided cable that detaches from the power brick so replacing it is cheap now.

Had to get rid of Jony Ive too for that to come back :buddy:

E: It's funny because the entire, loudly touted point of MagSafe when it was a brand-new feature was to reduce repair costs that arise from your cable not quick-detaching from the computer, i.e. making the power cord a cheap breakaway part. But then they made this cheap breakaway part an $80 unitary power brick with a rubbery cable that frayed easily and you had to buy like four of them over the computer's lifetime :psyduck: It's so weird and dumb it feels like it could not have been intentional

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Feb 28, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Had to get rid of Jony Ive too for that to come back :buddy:

Again with the having a stroke but no apparently there is a person called "Jony Ive"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does come to mind how a lot of tech media was underwhelmed by the iPhone being all 'Well it doesn't do anything new' and not really getting that actually putting those things into a nice form factor and easy UI compared to everything else suddenly gave it mainstream appeal. Similar to how the iPod may have been overpriced and a walled garden by MP3 player standards of the time, but unlike most at the time it actually worked reliably and was easy to use, and tied in with a convenient way to actually buy digital music. (Breaking the RIAA's back was kind of a key thing there)

Yeah credit where it's due, the iPhone defined smartphones as they exist today

Android technically already existed but at that point they were ripping off the Blackberry and pivoted to ripping off the iPhone later

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

Again with the having a stroke but no apparently there is a person called "Jony Ive"

Jony
We're sory
Won't you come on home
We're woried

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

That being said, he's also saying what a lot of people subconsciously believe. There's definitely not this much global attention when countries that aren't majority white go to war.

Followup on this, here are a lot of news people basically saying the same thing as the prager u racist:

https://twitter.com/non_philosophy/status/1498000420815396872

https://twitter.com/non_philosophy/status/1498000462548766732

https://twitter.com/non_philosophy/status/1498000526142812162

https://twitter.com/non_philosophy/status/1498000593302003713

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Fister Roboto posted:

Followup on this, here are a lot of news people basically saying the same thing as the prager u racist:

RW parties in Belgium are using the same track but are a little less quiet about the quiet part - supporting ukrainian refugees while saying "See we're not opposed to immigration, not like these Afghanis, Pakistani and bangladeshi we keep importing". I know this not because I sought it out but because they feel so strongly about it that they used a clip of them saying it on a talkshow as a youtube ad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something something Rainbow Dash in the photo

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ishikabibble posted:

There was also a lot of effort put into making things more complicated than they needed to be :v:

Jobs' slavish insistence to really tacky skeumorphism that never really came off well and aged even worse, tons of examples of weird form over function design (sunflower Mac, hockey puck mouse), etc.

His genius really was more as a hypeman than a designer/manager/'influencer'/whatever in convincing people that the stuff he was hawking really was The Best.

To throw in some OC IoSM; I think Steve Jobs suffers/is effected by the fact that he was an incredible hypeman in an industry sector that likes to pretend it doesn't have or need hypemen. So you either get the "Steve was just a hypeman and therefore useless" take, or the "Steve had to be more than a hypeman because his schtick worked on me" take.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Data Graham posted:

Something something Rainbow Dash in the photo

Yeah it's literally the same phenomenon

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/jcenters/status/1498335479628017666

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

just try to survive when your precious blockchain gets blown up you rear end penis

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I'm not convinced his profile pic isn't AI generated which is interesting because why would you pick that one

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Survive a nuclear blast with these 3 Easy Steps!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slather yourself in coconut oil so that you become delicious when the nuke hits.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

old bean factory posted:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

OwlFancier posted:

Slather yourself in coconut oil so that you become delicious when the nuke hits.

The searing really seals in the juices.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol what happen to all the food people panic bought in 2020.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

PhazonLink posted:

lol what happen to all the food people panic bought in 2020.

Stress ate it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Went bad two months later

... Oh, we were supposed to buy non-perishables?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This guy looks like he couldn't survive a day without his mommy to wipe his rear end

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zil posted:

Stress ate it.

drat no wonder people needed TP, all them beans.

(Also I still have all some of dry beans I originally bought.)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol. The Nuke prep guy is taking some poo poo in the comments and is really posting through it

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/ign/status/1497383667919949826?s=21
https://twitter.com/timsweeneyepic/status/1497468348828995584?s=21

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/Kokainum1/status/1497611172241149954

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m confused why would crypto decrease the revenue sharing?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Are you feeling depressed after 250 days in your fallout shelter? Just smile!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Envy the dead from the comfort of your own home.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

1stGear posted:

Envy the dead from the comfort of your own home.

That's just a friday night

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/conor64/status/1498420941235183616

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PhazonLink posted:

it also shits itself with strange gases, like tiny trace amounts of helium.

lol i forgot about that happening

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pfft. I've already got a book about that.

Thank you to whichever (probably) goon sent me this like ten years ago. As wise as when it was written.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Valve is doing a good thing but did you know they're only doing it because of largely unrelated lovely thing they do? Checkmate. :smug: "

Not the brand-building he seems to think.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
BREAKING: they're absolutely roasting putin's rear end in the QRTs

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Devs have been able to collect direct payments for ages, plenty of indie games sell on both steam and their own pages or via some bundle that give out steam keys.
People that claim to own competing storefronts that still lack shopping carts or the ability to purchase multiple items at once shouldn't throw stones. Epic launcher is such a piece of garbage and if Unreal engine wasn't tied to it I'd never use it, and it's not because of some loyalty to Steam.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

old bean factory posted:

OPPENHEIMER HATES HIM! Find out the ONE WEIRD TRICK this man used to survive a direct 400kt detonation!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fishstick posted:

Devs have been able to collect direct payments for ages, plenty of indie games sell on both steam and their own pages or via some bundle that give out steam keys.
People that claim to own competing storefronts that still lack shopping carts or the ability to purchase multiple items at once shouldn't throw stones. Epic launcher is such a piece of garbage and if Unreal engine wasn't tied to it I'd never use it, and it's not because of some loyalty to Steam.

Tim isn't making any sense but the epic store has a cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

:stonk:

Wow.