Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

It looked like "commiseration" and clarification to me, plus some of the usual regional banter. I did not detect an "argument".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I visited San Antonio once. It was fine.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

docbeard posted:

I visited San Antonio once. It was fine.

Edgy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I tell it like it is

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

I don't even know how or why people remember who posted anything online. Like, each person on SA is just one part of a single collective entity to me. Every person on any given Discord server registers to me as an expression of the personality of the server itself. Other than the people on my own server, of course, who are my actual real-life friends and whose existences therefore have some outside context.

People bring up stuff about me or that I've said on here sometimes, and I'm like "who are you? why do you know who I am? What's wrong with you that you remember specific things about people from the internet?"

In fairness, you often have memorable opinions about stuff, Tiggum.

The fact you think Shock Treatment is better than Rocky Horror has stuck with me and seems to explain everything.

(Full disclosure, I kind of agree. I think the songs are more consistent, and Duel Duet is always getting stuck in my head.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

doverhog posted:

I believe you, person with 23746 posts, that you remember nothing about posters on SA.

Sure, and if that actually was true it would be more disturbing.

If I look to the left of your post, I say a name and a picture. I recognise that I've seen them before, so I know I've seen your posts before. That's all the information I have. I don't know how or why I would remember any of the opinions you've expressed (or anything else you've posted). I don't know you. You're just one of the voices that live inside my computer. I don't keep a a database (mental or otherwise) linking usernames or avatars to a catalogue of posts. It seems utterly crazy to me that anyone does. There are far too many people using these forums for that to ever be practical or worthwhile.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

:confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ed Guy? :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cien años de soledad isn't just Marquez's worst book, it just sucks in general.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You’ve probably got a bad translation, try reading it in its original language

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I find that some of the best prose I've ever read comes from books translated from Spanish. I know Marquez gets a lot of praise for his prose, but how much of that actually comes through the translation?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

It looked like "commiseration" and clarification to me, plus some of the usual regional banter. I did not detect an "argument".

idk

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You're putting words in my mouth. [...]

Since you're putting words in my mouth, let me take a guess: next is the part where you tell me to move there to be the change.

Edit: the post I responded to was literally about what was and wasn't okay for someone moving to Texas. Do you not think the state government's hostility is relevant?

Atticus_1354 posted:

Nah. Please stay away. We don't want you.

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc. etc.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If there is a nuclear war, I would greatly prefer to live through it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

oldpainless posted:

You’ve probably got a bad translation, try reading it in its original language

Iirc Márquez thought one of the English translations was amazing and I doubt there are that many, they might just not like it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Cien años de soledad isn't just Marquez's worst book, it just sucks in general.

its a science fiction book what do you expect

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

alexandriao posted:

its a science fiction book what do you expect

A big dismayed-looking robot with huge erect nipples. (Atorox is my measure for all sci-fi.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wish people who give out red texts would tell you why.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I liked my little robot.

Plus I'd prefer to know who dislikes me enough to do this.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Mar 2, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Josef bugman posted:

I liked my little robot.

Plus I'd prefer to know who dislikes me enough to do this.

Who was the last person to try to explain to you that nazis are bad?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm gonna assume you bought yourself that red text as a way to throw us off the trail of you actually being a space alien.

Prove you're not an alien! Name every kind of pizza there is!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There are two kinds of pizza:
1) American pizza
2) Good pizza

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There are two kinds of pizza:
1) American pizza
2) Good pizza

Incorrect, second potential spaceman. The exhaustive list is:

1. Pizza Hut’s Bigfoot Pizza
2. Everything else

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Pizza hut pizza is decent but the highlight is the salad bar

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Pizza hut pizza is decent but the highlight is the salad bar

LIFE HACK: Go to Golden Rax Pizzabuffet, eat the salad, don't eat the pizza, leave.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

LIFE HACK: Go to Golden Rax Pizzabuffet, eat the salad, don't eat the pizza, leave.

I live in Scotland so all the lovely sounding American places don't exist

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
To be quite honest, you made me look. Tuna and corn pizza? Well if those are the ingredients you have on hand. But to be equally honest, I couldn't eat pizza in half of these countries because of all the olive oil bases (allergic).

I can't imagine the hate that will be directed at Icelandic ham and pineapple and banana.

ps

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I live in Scotland so all the lovely sounding American places don't exist
Can you tell us (stupid Americans, at least me), what is popular pizza there? :angel: I won't make fun of you. (Though I don't vouche for the others.)

Myself, I generally only get pizza after "earning it", and usually it gets loaded up with a few pounds of meat. No squishy vegetables for me, though I have done bell peppers and onions in the past.

PhantomOfTheCopier has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Mar 2, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Can you tell us (stupid Americans, at least me), what is popular pizza there? :angel: I won't make fun of you. (Though I don't vouche for the others.)

Probably the 2 biggest pizza chains here are Pizza Hut and Pizza Express although Pizza Hut closed a lot of outlets during covid.

Honestly, Scotland's enough of a melting pot that you'll find decent pizza places in the big cities but where I am in the arse end of the highlands its only shitey 6 quid pizzas from Kebab shops

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Who was the last person to try to explain to you that nazis are bad?

I haven't! I just ask questions as it is a good way to learn about the world. The robot was a gift from I think this thread and it makes me sad that it is gone. For now anyway. Planning on getting it back when I start at me new job!

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Mar 2, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

buying red text is for mad bitches

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

gangtags are also for bitches

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gangtags are just sad

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Spending real money to post on a deceased homosexual Internet forum should be embarrassing enough to dissuade you from spending more, particularly on delivering damp inconsequential 'owns' to strangers. I should be clear that I consider myself an extremely embarrassing person.

I would agree with Tiggum that you shouldn't waste brainspace having strong opinions on anyone, chances are nobody has strong opinions on you

The Wicked ZOGA has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Mar 2, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I wish the big social media cesspools had the same feature. Someone can spend ten bucks to label someone a bitch and the target has to spend more money to deny that they are a bitch

I don't use social media but I'm sure it would be a good show

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There was a streamer I followed a bit on Twitch like a decade ago who had a great system set up where you could donate a certain amount of money to become a mod for his stream. You could also donate to de-mod someone else in the stream, and you could donate again to give yourself a protection pass to stop someone else from de-modding you one time.

It made his chat a glorious clusterfuck but it was kind of hilarious watching all the donation pop-ups from people going to war with each other over mod positions. Dude had a good grift going and I have to give him credit for it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I miss skeuomorphism.

The GUIs of the 1990s had the perfect balance of skeumorphism and flatness and the next UI trend should bring back the aesthetics of Windows 95 and Motif with modern functionality.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Remember when Apple Macintosh computer systems had stylish graphical user interfaces?

Yeah I'm old too.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Woolie Wool posted:

The GUIs of the 1990s had the perfect balance of skeumorphism and flatness and the next UI trend should bring back the aesthetics of Windows 95 and Motif with modern functionality.

I don't disagree. But "with modern functionality" seems to imply that we have more things available in GUIs now than we did in the 90s? The only things I can think of are instant search (which honestly needs to die) and maybe better graphs or something. Am I missing something?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Variable DPI, GPU compositing, and similar under the hood stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

alexandriao posted:

I don't disagree. But "with modern functionality" seems to imply that we have more things available in GUIs now than we did in the 90s? The only things I can think of are instant search (which honestly needs to die) and maybe better graphs or something. Am I missing something?
I'd rather they start by focusing on browser improvements. For the past five years, most sites provide the same experience as a 1990s mail bomb. Twenty three popup/under/over/inlines later, you get around 200x200 for content.

The lack of competition and assumption of uniformity prevents most UI advance.

Those wanting UI control can still use Unix/Linux. (Where I use a text browser to avoid all the popup and formatting issues.)