Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls 2 changed how they work (for only that game iirc!) such that you had to press the interact button on many illusory walls to slide them aside with no prompt like you're Doomguy or something, and messages in front of said walls which were genuine would open it upon interaction. No need to stand on top of the message and then toggle the prompt to not read it such that you could open the wall, which was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

My favorite Elden Ring thing so far is that poo poo’s extremely dangerous if I veer even slightly off the telegrapher path but I have a magic ghost horse that functions as a “nope nope nope nope getting the gently caress out of dodge” button. Like when i fought a weak soldier and it turned into a giant loving bear after killing it that nearly mauled me even with my horse.

It’s cool that From just made “running from everything” into a dedicated gameplay option.

It's a real good videogame horse too:
- Summon it out of thin air at will, no need to keep track of where you left it
- Pick up loot while mounted
- Decently responsive controls instead of controlling like poo poo for no reason
- Doesn't get stuck on a pebble in the road and come to a complete stop
- Passable mounted combat
- Double jump (??)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So is Elden Rings a good choice for someone who sucked too hard at DS and Sekiro and bounced off them?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Opopanax posted:

So is Elden Rings a good choice for someone who sucked too hard at DS and Sekiro and bounced off them?

I say yes, while I find it easier than Sekiro and Bloodborne, its still hard and very challenging. Also gives you an incredible sense of reward when you finally take that big boss fucker down

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I think Ring on the whole is a little more difficult than the other Soulsborne games, but at the same time gives you way more ability to overcome those difficulties. Some of the summon spirits are strong as gently caress, co-op is easier than ever, and once the guidemakers start digging in I'm guessing they're going to find some broken as gently caress builds and items even just in Limgrave.

Full disclosure: I started as a Wretch so that may have made things more difficult as well. Samurai is a real strong starting class apparently.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that kind of helps is that it is easier to make it feel like you're progressing because if you get stuck somewhere it is a lot easier to go do something else instead. Since now you can teleport to any bonfire equivalent from anywhere. The important bosses feel more difficult but there are also minor bosses which are a little easier to beat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

With this Ring I am dead

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

muscles like this! posted:

Since now you can teleport to any bonfire equivalent from anywhere.

Wasn't that already a thing in DS2?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

CJacobs posted:

Dark Souls 2 changed how they work (for only that game iirc!) such that you had to press the interact button on many illusory walls to slide them aside with no prompt like you're Doomguy or something, and messages in front of said walls which were genuine would open it upon interaction. No need to stand on top of the message and then toggle the prompt to not read it such that you could open the wall, which was nice.

Except, of course, for the few walls that you did have to smash to open

:darksouls:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

1stGear posted:

I think Ring on the whole is a little more difficult than the other Soulsborne games, but at the same time gives you way more ability to overcome those difficulties. Some of the summon spirits are strong as gently caress, co-op is easier than ever, and once the guidemakers start digging in I'm guessing they're going to find some broken as gently caress builds and items even just in Limgrave.

Full disclosure: I started as a Wretch so that may have made things more difficult as well. Samurai is a real strong starting class apparently.

Yeah, I think Wretch is giving you a harder time. I went samurai and outside of the first boss or obviously late-game areas the bosses have been comparatively much easier than other From games.

Normal enemies can still gently caress you up though, they've not lost that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hel posted:

Wasn't that already a thing in DS2?

only from bonfire to bonfire, not from anywhere, although it wasn't too hard to have enough homeward bones to approximate the same thing

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I super love that I can just teleport whenever I want outside of battle.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TontoCorazon posted:

I say yes, while I find it easier than Sekiro and Bloodborne, its still hard and very challenging. Also gives you an incredible sense of reward when you finally take that big boss fucker down

I got to a point where the game telegraphed "go this way to follow the golden path and the intended starter experience" and I walked the opposite direction until I ended up taking elevator that brought me to an underground city made of stars and then I found another elevator that took me to a valley full of red poison and I had skipped something like two thirds of the map and the game just said " you know what? You're ready for the next plot point even though we meant for you to do that in an entirely different place."

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

I got to a point where the game telegraphed "go this way to follow the golden path and the intended starter experience" and I walked the opposite direction until I ended up taking elevator that brought me to an underground city made of stars and then I found another elevator that took me to a valley full of red poison and I had skipped something like two thirds of the map and the game just said " you know what? You're ready for the next plot point even though we meant for you to do that in an entirely different place."

I found that underground city too because of that poo poo head Patches.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So has anyone found a goatse reference in the game yet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Last Celebration posted:

My favorite Elden Ring thing so far is that poo poo’s extremely dangerous if I veer even slightly off the telegrapher path but I have a magic ghost horse that functions as a “nope nope nope nope getting the gently caress out of dodge” button. Like when i fought a weak soldier and it turned into a giant loving bear after killing it that nearly mauled me even with my horse.

It’s cool that From just made “running from everything” into a dedicated gameplay option.

Actually being able to disengage from encounters is one of the things that makes the open-world trend more bearable. Way too many games lock you into encounters where you either have to restart or tediously wait to die because there's no way you can win without the right setup.

Do any games let you run from bosses but make it challenging to do so?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

It's funny, I attempted to follow the "intended" path at first and got stuck, and found things way easier in the other direction. I carved my way through the forest and southern castle and whatnot at a fairly reasonable pace without too much trouble. Then, flush with levels and upgraded weapons, I went back on the main path and immediately got stuck for hours against that one unavoidable rear end in a top hat boss on the bridge.

Though it turned out that was mostly because the game expects you to summon an NPC to help you, but some dumdum put a custom message right in front of his summoning sign and so I didn't notice it for the longest time :negative:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually being able to disengage from encounters is one of the things that makes the open-world trend more bearable. Way too many games lock you into encounters where you either have to restart or tediously wait to die because there's no way you can win without the right setup.

Do any games let you run from bosses but make it challenging to do so?

AC Valhalla lets you run away from bossfights (non-story based) by just leaving the arena.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shadows of Mordor/War also come to mind where outside specific story stuff you're encouraged to leg it if a fight is too hard, and overall to fight as dirty as you can.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Shadows of Mordor/War also come to mind where outside specific story stuff you're encouraged to leg it if a fight is too hard, and overall to fight as dirty as you can.

Exploiting Orc disabilities is Talion's main superpower. Fire, spiders, poison, acrobatics, do what you can.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If you get into combat while talking on the phone in Cyberpunk, V says "gotta go!" then after combat the conversation picks up where it left off with an "As you were saying?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I love this new trend of games letting you just get back into conversations with no drama.

It used to annoy the hell out of me if you suddenly got into a fight when someone was trying to exposition at you. Sorry mate, can't read the subtitles, robots are trying to eat me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I love this new trend of games letting you just get back into conversations with no drama.

It used to annoy the hell out of me if you suddenly got into a fight when someone was trying to exposition at you. Sorry mate, can't read the subtitles, robots are trying to eat me.

Whenever I'm in an open world game and someone is giving voiced exposition while en route somewhere, I can't help but race to the destination, basically so the exposition can be cut off and I can feel annoyed that the developers didn't factor in my compulsions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you get into combat while talking on the phone in Cyberpunk, V says "gotta go!" then after combat the conversation picks up where it left off with an "As you were saying?"

Yeah, I like mechanics like this too, although it's always funny when it happens multiple times in a row. I think it was GTAV where I would sometimes get to whoever I was talking to before even finishing the call because I'd be yelling about bumping into other cars and stuff every two seconds.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there is a region in elden ring that might be the most unrelentingly horrible place I’ve seen in a game. everything there is the worst thing. like being trapped in Stephen Gammell’s nightmare diary

yes I am posting this in the correct thread

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Can’t believe Elden Ring is a stealth sequel to Bloodborne

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ability description in Total Warhammer 3.

quote:

Kislev believes that all have the right to bear arms, and the right to have their arms torn off by bears.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

there is a region in elden ring that might be the most unrelentingly horrible place I’ve seen in a game. everything there is the worst thing. like being trapped in Stephen Gammell’s nightmare diary

yes I am posting this in the correct thread

Coming out of the teleport mine, seeing how awful things were and then panning the camera to the left and seeing a horrible deformed giant skull looking over the mountains sure was an experience.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

in the souls games, dead enemies sometimes drop items to pick up, but you don't know whether they're going to drop an item until their death animation is over, meaning you sometimes need to stand around waiting for it to appear (or not). elden ring adds a particle effect flash the moment an enemy dies if they're going to drop an item, so you immediately know whether to stick around.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Don't cut me off like that, it's rude!
Anyway, here's what I was saying.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Don't cut me off like that, it's rude!
Anyway, here's what I was saying.

This happened to me in Forbidden West during a battle, resulting in a weird situation like

"Oh my god, get away that thing's going to- hey Aloy where are you going? Oh good you're back, anyway what was I saying...oh my god get away that thing's going to blow!"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Spider-Man was good about that, going so far as to record voice lines differently if you were swinging where Peter is kind of out of breath during the call.

In Elden Ring news, I get to ride my horse through basically everything in search of the next grace spot and that's a godsend when I'm real far into exploring and have 10k runes sitting on me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The newer GTA games and Red Dead Redemption 2 also have alternate dialogue for a lot of their missions, in case you die and have to restart a mission so you're not stuck sitting through the same exact conversation again. (It's generally the same general conversation, but different dialogue to it)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There’s an area in Elden Ring that just looks like the poison swamp from DS3 and the Nightmare Frontier had a baby near the Duke’s Archives and I think that’s just swell. I think someone else mentioned it but it deserves another, because what the gently caress happened, I guess I’m gonna be binging lore videos for a while.

Also this game is gonna give ymfah enough content for like a hundred shitpost challenge videos so it’s also probably gonna be my GOTY for that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Phobophilia posted:

They're really annoying. They make your weapons deflect and do surprising amounts of damage. The trick is to kick them over.

Why aren't you doing anything to help them?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

elden ring tortoise pope

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What a slowpope

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

drat, I feel he’s going to be displeased with me.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

elden ring tortoise pope

I got summoned to a boss fight in that church, and the tortoise pope was nowhere to be seen. This suggests the summoning player did something terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That's just in the game?

poo poo, I'm going to have to buy it now.