Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

How are u posted:

Why wouldn't The Guardian be allowed? They're an excellent, reputable newspaper.

They’re extremely left liberal biased. Not CSPAM levels but enough to be an unreliable source at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

No kvass?

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Saint Celestine posted:

I thought the big advantage of Javelin/NLAW is that they are fire and forget and don't need constant sight on target?

Yes, those static ATGMs like Kornet etc need constant line of sight. Doesn't really work when there are trees all around the road or there's some rolling hills on the highway. Maybe if there is some fields and farmland around the road they are of use.

With low end stuff like RPGs and Javelin, NLAW you can just pop out of cover, shoot the poo poo and pop back where you come from without them having time to realize what's going on.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

D34THROW posted:

Now part of me is wondering if the Ukraine invasion is some sort of play to distract from uber-authoritarian fascist bullshit going into effect in Russia that's just not going to go away.

Almost surprised there hasn't been some sort of "Ukrainian" terror response inside Russia's borders to further play on the narrative :tinfoil:

My Russian friend is offering me extremely good odds against, I am not taking him on the bet.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Bet the milk powder tastes good

Expiration dates is only a recommendation. Not an actual limit. I mean its only 7 years old.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but US is expelling RUS spies from UN. https://twitter.com/USUNSpox/status/1498395166272634890

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Randarkman posted:

Again no, that's very likely not true. Not at this point, not with the limited size of the Russian invasion force.

Pre-invasion, it was the largest force amassed on the border of another country in modern history. Post-invasion, it's of limited size and likely to fizzle out shortly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

I see they received the rations from Finland already.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

javi posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but US is expelling RUS spies from UN. https://twitter.com/USUNSpox/status/1498395166272634890
Excellent work Biden Admin!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

They’re extremely left liberal biased. Not CSPAM levels but enough to be an unreliable source at times.

The Guardian is a standard newspaper of record in the UK, akin to the Los Angeles Times, Le Monde, or Der Spiegel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper_of_record

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Cross posting from the GBS thread because I'm looking for actual information and that may be the wrong place to get it

The big point that pro-Russia people keep coming back to is that Ukraine bombed and killed 200 children in Donbas in 2014. My Google searches show nothing about this, most of them return back with Ukrainian children that were killed by Russia in the last week.

So my question is basically a.) Did this actually happen or is this pure propaganda and b.) Is this more nuanced than just Ukrainians slaughtered children

I'm pro-Ukraine and this seems like a propaganda talking point so thanks for any clarification

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rapulum_Dei posted:

As already said, their opinion articles are horrendous dogshit but the foreign reporting is pretty good. And I'm saying that as someone who had a Guardian subscription as a college lib and cancelled it during the start of the Iraq War.

See also: the Financial Times

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Upgrade posted:

Prior to this how was the Russian military regarded by experts?

No idea about experts, but as a historian in Michigan I have sat through endless amounts of Mil Nerd chuds telling me how badass they are and how the weak Soy-boi US would get destroyed in a battle with the Great MANLY MAN army, so I think this whole thing is darkly loving hilarious, besides all the unnecessary young lives thrown in the dumpster for some demented old Russian boomer's dying brain fantasies. :smith:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Upgrade posted:

Prior to this how was the Russian military regarded by experts?

Fine, it was well respected as one of the strongest at land-based combat. Trashy at urban warfare, best in the world indirect fire (artillery, air defence), okay air force, clown navy, pretty good at WW2 poo poo with tank files rolling through a European steppe.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Pre-invasion, it was the largest force amassed on the border of another country in modern history. Post-invasion, it's of limited size and likely to fizzle out shortly.

The US + UK had more against Iraq. Ukraine is huge, has not been crippled by a decade of sanctions, has a large army and borders countries through which aid can be received.

This may not have been enough.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

javi posted:

So the entire Trump clan?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Would steve1989 eat Russian rations expired in 2015?

He has a more discerning palate, a 1995 vintage would be his thing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Squiggly posted:

Cross posting from the GBS thread because I'm looking for actual information and that may be the wrong place to get it

The big point that pro-Russia people keep coming back to is that Ukraine bombed and killed 200 children in Donbas in 2014. My Google searches show nothing about this, most of them return back with Ukrainian children that were killed by Russia in the last week.

So my question is basically a.) Did this actually happen or is this pure propaganda and b.) Is this more nuanced than just Ukrainians slaughtered children

I'm pro-Ukraine and this seems like a propaganda talking point so thanks for any clarification

There's probably a pretty good reason you can't find anything about it on Google, if you think about it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

My Russian friend is offering me extremely good odds against, I am not taking him on the bet.

Wait, what is your friend saying?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Randarkman posted:

Again no, that's very likely not true. Not at this point, not with the limited size of the Russian invasion force.

I mean to say the currently committed troops outnumber the Ukranian ones and appear to be able to maintain a wide front while the Ukranians have to pick their fights.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Zephro posted:

What about things like the NLAW? Minimal backblast so you can fire it from inside a building without cooking yourself, which makes it easier to hide / not draw attention; it's fire-and-forget so no need for constant line of sight; it's very light (12kg) so no need for tripods or anything like that; it's designed to do top-down attacks on much weaker turret armour. The main disadvantage vs bigger heavier stuff is a shorter range but that doesn't really matter in a city.

I don't think even a current-generation Western tank could survive a top-down hit on the turret, right? So all you're left with is trying to shoot the rocket down, and I don't know how practical that really is. Would be interested to know more, though!

Current-gen, the crew has a decent chance of surviving. Also depends on things like reactive armor. And yeah, you can still destroy tanks in the modern age with the right soldier, equipment, and tactics, but I'm kind of shadowboxing with anyone who goes into hysterics every time they see a burning tank on the news, declaring the MBT to be dead when I don't see the same sentiments every time a chopper gets clipped with an RPG-7.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Squiggly posted:

Google is hinting already that it's a completely fictional point.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Randarkman posted:

The US + UK had more against Iraq. Ukraine is huge, has not been crippled by a decade of sanctions, has a large army and borders countries through which aid can be received.

And Ukraine already has 8 years experience in land and urban warfare against this very opponent, and a lot more national cohesion than Iraq. War is still less than a week old, we all expected it to be a mess, but from the combat results, immediate economic fallout and unrest back in Russia, this is going south for Putin real quick.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Squiggly posted:

There is a memorial to children killed in Donbas in Donetsk with ~150 names. It's not from one singular event.

[edit:]

To the others who replied, you know, even though it's a misrepresentation of events, you might want to check yourselves on your biases if you just instantly dismiss it instead of looking into it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 28, 2022

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Fine, it was well respected as one of the strongest at land-based combat. Trashy at urban warfare, best in the world indirect fire (artillery, air defence), okay air force, clown navy, pretty good at WW2 poo poo with tank files rolling through a European steppe.

To add to this: the Russian air force while viewed as competent also didn't have the experience or training for more dynamic ground attack and SEAD operations which they need now in Ukraine after obliterating Ukrainian static AA and radars.

They're still a competent force with weaknesses that you can see on display here.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There are like 500 pages since I checked this thread last night, so this one might've been posted already, but what do people think about this thread? It feels like an interesting analysis, and a more sober one than most I've been seeing.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Deteriorata posted:

There's probably a pretty good reason you can't find anything about it on Google, if you think about it.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Google is hinting already that it's a completely fictional point.

Thanks for the speedy responses, kind of figured but also due diligence and such

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

They forgot to say "in Europe", which is how this was talked about in the lead up to it.

Also, about the aid - I wonder if this tweet is of significance
https://twitter.com/OSINTNS/status/1498359109095239686

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m seeing something that probably is normal in times like this, but worrying - the emergence of urban legends.

Currently one of the myths is that people proposing on the border to give a lift to women are brothel owners looking to kidnap them. This is extra sad, as if that thing was commonly shared in Friday, when I happened to give a lift to three young girls from the border, I’d probably be beaten up or arrested for even trying.

Another story comes from Ukraine - apparently many villages are devoid of men, leaving mostly older women to fend for themselves. There’s gossip of packs of men traveling between villages to rape and steal.

None if these stories have been corroborated, yet they’re mindlessly repeated by people.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

There are like 500 pages since I checked this thread last night, so this one might've been posted already, but what do people think about this thread? It feels like an interesting analysis, and a more sober one than most I've been seeing.

I think it got laughed at 20-30 pages ago.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I'll be rude and answer my own question, I came across a Guardian article (I hope Guardian is allowed :ohdear:) that paints a pretty bleak picture of the Russian people's reaction today (Monday). A lot of redundant information for people who follow this thread, but here's some quotes from "ordinary people":
The effects of the sanctions on the "normal" industry in Russia will take some time to develop, but it will be crippling and devastating. With the banks closed off, no spare parts, maintenance support, machinery, etc. will be delivered to Russia. Modern manufacturing is an extremely complex process involving hundreds of machines, processes, etc dependent on so many tiny things (sensors, actors, PLCs, etc.). Those will be difficult to replace.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Flesnolk posted:

With 100x the casualties or something to do it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zephro posted:

https://twitter.com/FedorovMykhailo/status/1498392515262746630

Is interesting. If you were going to run a guerilla insurgency then having an internet connection that Russia can't really monitor or disconnect could be pretty useful.

I am beyond shocked they that Musk actually came through in a timely manner.

It is completely out of character, but a fantastic development.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Flesnolk posted:

I think that waging a war on the other side of the planet vs rolling your military into your neighbor isn't comparable

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Outside of some doctrinal issues either active duty or military scientists would get excited about, comparing these two conflicts side by side is pointless, to put it mildly.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Mokotow posted:

I’m seeing something that probably is normal in times like this, but worrying - the emergence of urban legends.

Currently one of the myths is that people proposing on the border to give a lift to women are brothel owners looking to kidnap them. This is extra sad, as if that thing was commonly shared in Friday, when I happened to give a lift to three young girls from the border, I’d probably be beaten up or arrested for even trying.

Another story comes from Ukraine - apparently many villages are devoid of men, leaving mostly older women to fend for themselves. There’s gossip of packs of men traveling between villages to rape and steal.

None if these stories have been corroborated, yet they’re mindlessly repeated by people.

There’s always wild tales spread during times of crisis and war.

At the onset of WWI, Germany, for instance had untold number of crazy stories circling the country, like “Russian spies tried to murder the kaiser!” Or “a French armoured car filled with gold is speeding through Germany on its way to Russia, causing mayhem wherever it goes!”

These stories you mention are likely not founded in reality, unpleasant though they are.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Flesnolk posted:

Uses the bad pro Russian misleading map. Distances involved are widely exaggerated and as early as last night Kharkiv was getting new NLAWs and Javelins.

The Russians don’t have full control of what it claims.

Other then that; sure it might be over for the conventional forces in the east.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Can someone explain to me how we can just openly supply Ukraine with weapons and aid the way we are doing? How is it not a major escalation and provocation? Yeah, it was done in all the proxy wars in the past but was it this flagrant?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They forgot to say "in Europe", which is how this was talked about in the lead up to it.

Also, about the aid - I wonder if this tweet is of significance
https://twitter.com/OSINTNS/status/1498359109095239686

https://twitter.com/OSINTNS/status/1498363196343832576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean frankly I'm shocked it took them this long to say this out loud. I would have expected this two days ago when countries started committing actual arms and equipment to Ukraine, or whenever that first started.

But I don't know, maybe they thought it would be some scary words or something?