Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

So Ukraine isn't just getting planes, they're getting to stage out of Poland, so have planes parked where Russia *shouldn't* hit them.

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1498409887205937155?t=KmiQnYdItWlCfCfGq1k1lw&s=19

Poland is really pissed huh

Uh this seems like a major escalation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

CommieGIR posted:

If Russia hits Poland at this point, frankly, I suspect most of the EU is fed up with Russia.

Oh okay, is every country willing to sacrifice 50% of its population?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

KitConstantine posted:

So Ukraine isn't just getting planes, they're getting to stage out of Poland, so have planes parked where Russia *shouldn't* hit them.

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1498409887205937155?t=KmiQnYdItWlCfCfGq1k1lw&s=19

This seems like a grey area. They aren't attacking Russia with these planes from Poland, they are flying them over their own country. But that's such a stretch that I really wonder if this is another mistranslation.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, I am gonna wait for official sources on this one. To be fair, Poland is the one country I could see doing this

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

If Russia hits Poland at this point, frankly, I suspect most of the EU is fed up with Russia.

If military attacks come out of Poland and Russia retaliates, that is absolutely on Poland

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dominoeffect posted:

Wow... I almost had to check because time flies. Almost 7-year-old MREs?!

I noticed that guy's gun has a sight which I haven't seen all soldiers have. Does anyone know how typical it is for front line soldiers to have attachments like these? I'm assuming they're reserved for more experienced / specialized infantry?

Normal in well-funded / equipped militaries. He's certainly not a guy who got issued a rifle yesterday, but he's not necessarily some high-speed low-drag Operator

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Charliegrs posted:

Uh this seems like a major escalation...

think its just fake news tbh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

This seems...bad

Like, isn't Poland dangerously close to escalation here?

Could be, if true. Seeing conflicting country reports brought up, I begin to doubt the veracity of that.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

TheRat posted:

This seems like a loving massive escalation that might end badly

Yeah it only takes 1 stray rocket to get Poland Article 5'd.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

I don't buy it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xarn posted:

Yeah, I am gonna wait for official sources on this one. To be fair, Poland is the one country I could see doing this

Yeah, this seems implausible. I could see using Poland as a temporary staging point before moving them into Ukraine proper, but flying combat missions directly from Poland seems rather unlikely.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

KitConstantine posted:

Yeah, Poland is pretty pissed. But thats also really scary and could lead to escalation. What happens when air battles start taking place over Poland?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FishBulbia posted:

think its just fake news tbh

Yeah they hate Russia but it's a bit much.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

is there actually confirmation from bulgaria, poland and slovakia about this?

e:fb

like you've also got for eg bulgarian english-language news calling it bs

https://www.novinite.com/articles/214004/PM%3A+Reports+of+Bulgaria+Giving+Away+its+Fighter+Jets+to+Ukraine+are+Absurd%21

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

They have nukes

Dog is all bark, no bite... but it does have rabies. :stonklol:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

KitConstantine posted:

That seems extremely unlikely to be true.

Unrelated: Germany is sending Tornados on missions over the Baltic sea now.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Bringing them up implies you think they'll be used, which is straight Clancychat. No one's going to use them, so they're irrelevant.

Out of genuine curiosity, if nukes are completely irrelevant what is holding the west from directly providing military assistance at this stage?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

Yeah, doesn't seem likely. I'm not sure the reliability of that news source, either (not saying it's not reliable, just don't know what I'm looking at).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

boofhead posted:

is there actually confirmation from bulgaria, poland and slovakia about this?

Slovakia and Bulgaria have def already denied it. Don't know about Poland.

story with Bulgaria denying it in the feed here https://www.politico.eu/article/live-blog-ukraine-invasion-putin-donetsk-luhansk/#1287339

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

tractor fanatic posted:

If military attacks come out of Poland and Russia retaliates, that is absolutely on Poland

I don't think Russia would have the balls. If I'm Poland I call their bluff here.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

This seems like a grey area. They aren't attacking Russia with these planes from Poland, they are flying them over their own country. But that's such a stretch that I really wonder if this is another mistranslation.

There's nothing gray about it, it would 100% be an aggressive move on Polands part

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Dog Friday posted:

Out of genuine curiosity, if nukes are completely irrelevant what is holding the west from directly providing military assistance at this stage?

The idea of not making them relevant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Poland is probably staging, doing some mx, and gassing up the planes for the Ukranians to come pick up and fly out of Poland, but I'll be shocked if they're generating combat sorties out of Poland. That seems like a provocation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I don't think it needed a separate tweet, I think it need one clause saying "a nearby highway"

It does say that if you read both tweets together, i.e. my post and TheRat's reply to it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dog Friday posted:

Because direct military assistance will make using nukes an option and, therefore, relevant.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Again that tweet is wrong and not true, it's been denied by all three of the governments mentioned already.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Going straight from "we need to support Ukraine" to "we have to take a maximalist approach, Saving Ukraine is worth sacrificing our own country" is really insane and not productive.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Imagine if Soviet fighter pilots were based across the Yalu and kept engaging US fighter jets while pretending to be Korean, that'd be crazy surely

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It does say that if you read both tweets together, i.e. my post and TheRat's reply to it.

Yes, when called out about it he said "oh yeah I knew that." The original tweet is still very bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mendrian posted:

I think that one of the things this whole experience has showcased is that the whole concept of 'super powers' might be outdated. It's obviously still possible that Russia might win this conflict over a long enough scale but the conventional calculus of soldiers, munitions, and overwhelming force just isn't what it used to be.

As an American I've been indoctrinated from birth to believe any world superpower can end a conflict in hours if they want to. Iraq obviously damaged that image but seeing it in a European country is surreal.

Obviously this doesn't tell us anything specific about America or China, but now I find myself questioning the whole brand of super powers. I actually find that compelling, and kind of hopeful.

don't you think it's more likely that it's not telling you much about superpowers conceptually and it's more telling you something about Russia's status as a superpower?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Just casually dismissing direct military confrontation between Russia and NATO

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The guy's credentials say former Russia correspondent, so maybe a guy with some contacts?

Possible it's a really bad mistranslation?

Dog Friday posted:

Besides the possible end of all human life on Earth, yeah nukes are irrelevant

No nuclear weapons are not irrelevant in this: that's why NATO refuses to intervene directly with military action

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I edited the tweet out of the original post and put a direct link to the article instead. It matched the tweet when I posted, but I clicked through again and it's been updated significantly walking back the claims

EDIT: IT WAS BULLSHIT PLEASE STOP YELLING ABOUT IT

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 1, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Calibanibal posted:

I don't think Russia would have the balls. If I'm Poland I call their bluff here.

No you're most certainly not.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

tractor fanatic posted:

If you're having anxiety about a nuclear attack please take a break from reading about the war and relax.
Take care of yourself.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I can't imagine Poland allowing for flights from the country to Ukraine, because if there's sorties that start to intrude into Polish airspace that's a gigantic risk that I'm not sure Poland will want to take (nor would NATO probably let them to be honest).

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 28, 2022

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Pre-invasion, it was the largest force amassed on the border of another country in modern history. Post-invasion, it's of limited size and likely to fizzle out shortly.

I have memories of this but cannot find a single thing about it on Google now with searches containing more recent events but during the Syrian war, wasn't there a brief period where Turkey amassed a huge coalition force (significantly larger than Putin's invasion force prior to entering Ukraine) with various countries and the stated intent of just steamrolling Syria? I remember Putin freaking out and threatening nukes if they attacked and Turkey and co. in turn decided to all just do joint exercises on the border while they were together.

I think it was about five different countries and there being close to a million troops? I don't recall it being reported as any type of crisis, just a coalition coming together extremely quickly and being in a good position to just roll over everything, with Putin's stance being that an invasion force of that size would leave him no choice but to resort to what he threatened.

Prior to this Turkey had shot down a Russian jet that strayed too far and a Russian diplomat was assassinated on Turkish soil on live TV in front of a lot of media. At the time Erdogan seemed to be itching to fight Russia and managed to get other countries on board to join him. I can't find news reports of it now but if my memory is correct, the stated forces preparing to go into Syria were absurdly vast and right on the border iirc.

I'm sure it was real but I can't find a single thing on Google :psyduck:

Edit: Removed reply to another post that seems to be inaccurate.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 28, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To be fair it only says so when a third party questioned it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SUNKOS posted:

I dunno, nobody has attacked Belarus yet and Poland would basically be doing the same (but without having nukes parked there which I'd think is a much greater escalation by Russia) role of providing a sort-of staging ground to help out. They're in NATO and Putin would have to be suicidal to attack them. Ukraine is holding their own, Poland and others are just providing equipment. If they were doing what Russia has with requesting military help from other countries (e.g. Chechnya) then I would see it as something to be concerned about maybe, but Polish military isn't hopping over to join in which is the only case where I think things could escalate.

Belarus is on the side of the madman that says he will use nukes if anyone interferes. Poland is not. They aren't going to join in because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tractor fanatic posted:

Russia is casually implying they intend to use nuclear weapons if they are not allowed their Lebensraum.