Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020
Looks like they are nerfing everything.

https://forums.playlostark.com/t/regarding-guardian-raid-and-abyss-dungeon-difficulty/220010

quote:

Difficulty is a hot topic when it comes to Lost Ark’s endgame content, and we’ve seen a lot of feedback around specific raids and dungeons that have left players feeling like they are more tedious than fun. In response to this feedback, we’ll be adjusting the difficulty of the following T1 and T2 content to make things a bit easier.

Guardian Raids

Vertus
Nacrasena
Flame Fox Yoho
Tytalos
Achates
Alberhastic
Abyss Dungeons

Necromancer’s Origin
Hall of the twisted Warlord
Hilderbrandt Palace
Sea of Indolence
This change will take place during our weekly update, and we’ll have more details to come once those patch notes are shared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
What I've found is that due to the T1 and T2 island mats being available, players have a tendency to vastly outgear the first several fights of each T1 and T2. And for guardian raids, this pretty much means you can't die even if you eat a ton of mechanics because your HP/defenses are just so high, with Tytalos being a notable exception that players who don't understand the mechanic just get frustrated on.

I know at least for me, the second I got into T2 I was able to instantly get to ilvl 940 and just kinda curbstomped the first three T2 Guardians through matchmaking and the first two Abyssal Dungeons were a cakewalk as well.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I find also that people are already becoming resistant to the very idea of learning a fight as well. Like today I was looking at party finder groups for the fox boss and it was full of people either directly asking for carries, offering carries, or asking for well above the ilvl needed for the fight. With it like that it's no wonder these fights are getting nerfed.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Fox specifically has a mechanic that requires specific class comps to do it efficiently which is kind of a bummer with random matchmaking. Collecting the orbs or standing in the ring to get the buff I see people do (even if like 3 people stand in the ring and take unnecessary damage) but I've never seen a person stand in the fire breath let alone have a shielder pay attention to shield for the fire breath specifically.

Although, I did read that some of these fights have like 50% more HP compared to the KR version due to beta tester feedback or something.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Are you kidding me? Thats the only thing that was keeping me playing

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I dunno man, have any of you done those guardians at exactly item level with a group that is also exactly at item level? I've been in what felt like strongly competent teams doing the mechanics and it takes AGES

If 'nerfing' the fights here just means a reduction in the bloated HP values I'm all for it. That honestly doesn't change the difficulty for me, just the tedium

EDIT: in particular I felt like vertus/tatylos had fat hp

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kaedric posted:

I dunno man, have any of you done those guardians at exactly item level with a group that is also exactly at item level? I've been in what felt like strongly competent teams doing the mechanics and it takes AGES

If 'nerfing' the fights here just means a reduction in the bloated HP values I'm all for it. That honestly doesn't change the difficulty for me, just the tedium

As someone who has complained about the bosses having bad patterns, I hope the nerfs don't make the guardian and abyss stuff into Chaos Dungeon. I would just like some of the bosses not to do some weird attack patterns that make them go offscreen and then hit you offscreen or have patterns that more or less guarantee one-hit especially in the early tier 1.

In my opinion, Elden Ring bosses have fairer attack patterns than what some of these guardians and abyss boss basic attacks do.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

The big problem with the difficulty is the lack of any sort of middle tier. You go from the almost impossible-to-fail story and chaos dungeons to the inexplicably brutal Guardians and Abyss dungeons with absolutely no warning.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hyper Inferno posted:

Fox specifically has a mechanic that requires specific class comps to do it efficiently which is kind of a bummer with random matchmaking. Collecting the orbs or standing in the ring to get the buff I see people do (even if like 3 people stand in the ring and take unnecessary damage) but I've never seen a person stand in the fire breath let alone have a shielder pay attention to shield for the fire breath specifically.

Although, I did read that some of these fights have like 50% more HP compared to the KR version due to beta tester feedback or something.

They have the same HP as KR version did originally, but was nerfed down over time.

I'm guessing those nerfs had more to do with people being frustrated by how long alt/re-kills took than difficulty.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Kaedric posted:

Yea, I ran them all as soon as I could. Yea, vertus did take us a number of tries but it wasn't /that/ hard. I wish they would just add a difficulty setting instead.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

admanb posted:

They have the same HP as KR version did originally, but was nerfed down over time.

I'm guessing those nerfs had more to do with people being frustrated by how long alt/re-kills took than difficulty.

That makes sense actually. When they were current content, there probably wasn't as much time to farm them on multiple alts right away. But as time went on and they became lower level alt-gear stuff, running them is more of a chore than a challenge and lower HP helps with that. And since western release is getting this right away, we're skipping the "current" content part of that content.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 1, 2022

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Guardians are weird because those t1/t2 guardians have absurd HP for their item level entry requirements. Meanwhile armor scorpion in t3 which is the only one I have enough ilvl to even attempt goes down like a chump in around 4-5 minutes unless people completely ignore the adds and gently caress everything else up

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The NA/EU guardians have 50% more hp in T1/T2 than in KR/RU. So nerfing their hp is great. Nerfing guardian hp: good. The fights really drag on in pugs and the mechanics don't get any more difficult the 20th time you do them in the same fight.

Nerfing vertus: good.

Nerfing abyss: what??? Please don't. Abyss raids have like 1/4 the hp of guardian fights, very fair mechanics compared to guardians, and only one or two mechanics to know (except for one or two t2 fights where things get crazy, but they aren't even nerfing those.)

I feel like even if you have a really bad time in abyss but eventually beat the boss it feels rewarding. Fighting vertus at the minimum ilvl doesn't feel rewarding -- it feels stupid and like "well, I'm coming back with better gear".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 1, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Khorne posted:

Nerfing guardian hp: good. The fights really drag on in pugs and the mechanics don't get any more difficult the 20th time you do them in the same fight.

Nerfing vertus: good.

Nerfing abyss: what??? Please don't. Abyss raids have like 1/4 the hp of guardian fights, very fair mechanics compared to guardians, and only one or two mechanics to know (except for one or two t2 fights where things get crazy, but they aren't even nerfing those.)

yeah that one weirds me out. I've only done the first three Abyss Dungeons, but none of those fights do any damage (with the notable exception of the very first one -- that jump that does a circle then a donut kills so many people) outside of their one-shot mechanics, and if you nerf the one-shot mechanics they stop being fights entirely

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

It's probably because most people are terrible at video games so having them all matchmake and fail in T1 abyssals is turning them off from lost ark. Why do you guys care if they nerf poo poo you aren't even doing anymore?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's probably because most people are terrible at video games so having them all matchmake and fail in T1 abyssals is turning them off from lost ark. Why do you guys care if they nerf poo poo you aren't even doing anymore?
I ran T1 abyss 5 times this week on alts & T2 abyss 3 times.

The current T3 content is also pretty easy. Arguably easier than the t2 wings they aren't nerfing.

I am also not sure how they can meaningfully nerf the abyss raids mentioned. Sea of Indolence in particular has a normalized first fight in scuba gear and the second fight is "everyone run to the one safety zone that spawns on one of the 8 people in the raid then grab some air after" with no other notable mechanics.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 1, 2022

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Khorne posted:

I ran T1 abyss 5 times this week on alts & T2 abyss 3 times.

I still haven't done the T3 abyss yet because I mostly play controller and that typing mechanic on the last boss scares me. I have no idea if I'm going to need to drop my controller quick and type or if it's going to throw a huge controller quicktime event on my screen when it happens and I'm 100% going to wipe the raid the first time.

definitely going to just bite the bullet and do it before reset tho

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

I still haven't done the T3 abyss yet because I mostly play controller and that typing mechanic on the last boss scares me. I have no idea if I'm going to need to drop my controller quick and type or if it's going to throw a huge controller quicktime event on my screen when it happens and I'm 100% going to wipe the raid the first time.

definitely going to just bite the bullet and do it before reset tho
I haven't done T3 abyss yet. I am going to do it on wednesday probably. Even the extra chaos mats aren't bound in T3 so I've been selling everything I can get my hands on while prices are sky high. I definitely want to do it before lockout though.

I had really, really bad upgrade rng in Tier 2.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 1, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

admanb posted:

yeah that one weirds me out. I've only done the first three Abyss Dungeons, but none of those fights do any damage (with the notable exception of the very first one -- that jump that does a circle then a donut kills so many people) outside of their one-shot mechanics, and if you nerf the one-shot mechanics they stop being fights entirely

Having Garum attack pattern do consecutive red attacks on the orb is a bad experience that I hope is removed.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Flair posted:

Having Garum attack pattern do consecutive red attacks on the orb is a bad experience that I hope is removed.
If the nerfs are like that, that's good too. In some of the T2 abyss they aren't nerfing there are random stacking of mechanics that can cause a wipe. But, you just run it again. The fights only take a few minutes which is part of why the extreme wipe mechanics and doing a few retries isn't a huge deal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Streaming more Lost Ark tonight. :3: https://www.twitch.tv/omgitsbees item level 953 and doing Chaos Dungeon grinding.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Halfway done mokoko seeds! Also halfway done all the adventure tomes in all the continents. At least as much as I can do.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Velveteen posted:

Halfway done mokoko seeds! Also halfway done all the adventure tomes in all the continents. At least as much as I can do.

Not even 7/7 arks, for shame.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This is great and will make me not quit :moonrio:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Jesus, there is already a counter thread to this.

https://forums.playlostark.com/t/stop-nerfing-content/220040

Including some claiming if they keep going, they'll go back to the kr servers. Which is odd when according to here, the mobs being nerfed had inflated hp to korea already.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

JuffoWup posted:

Jesus, there is already a counter thread to this.

https://forums.playlostark.com/t/stop-nerfing-content/220040

Including some claiming if they keep going, they'll go back to the kr servers. Which is odd when according to here, the mobs being nerfed had inflated hp to korea already.

You’re telling me an MMO forum is full of elitist self-proclaimed god gamers that don’t even know anything about the game they’re playing? Be still my heart.

But yeah that doesn’t surprise me. My guess/hope is that AGS is making this decision based on metrics rather than a particular concentration of forum posts.

I think it’s unfortunate that so much of the difficulty of Guardian Raids (and sounds like T1 especially) is based on endurance rather than interesting mechanics. Then when mechanics hit, like the Fox, you have to deal with both. That’s a bad combination for PUGing.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Today on my 400 something alt sorc during the very first t1 guardian (I just wanted to blow through it fast for mats), 2 of the pubbies used up all the resses then somehow got a quit vote to go through. There were still 2 of us alive and we could have easily killed it. After the vote it said 28% left. Wtf is wrong with people.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

admanb posted:

You’re telling me an MMO forum is full of elitist self-proclaimed god gamers that don’t even know anything about the game they’re playing? Be still my heart.

But yeah that doesn’t surprise me. My guess/hope is that AGS is making this decision based on metrics rather than a particular concentration of forum posts.

I think it’s unfortunate that so much of the difficulty of Guardian Raids (and sounds like T1 especially) is based on endurance rather than interesting mechanics. Then when mechanics hit, like the Fox, you have to deal with both. That’s a bad combination for PUGing.

Later on in that thread, one of the AGS people pops in to say that they are indeed basing these changes on content completion metrics too, which are apparently extremely low with some having only 10% of the playerbase actually clearing them.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Kaedric posted:

Everyone who loves chaos dungeons: play a first intention wardancer

You will stop loving chaos dungeons

It’s better with the other engraving, but chaos with FI isn’t too hard if you spec for max AOE with all your skills and keep moon flash and sweeping kicks for bosses/really big packs because they have decent AOE in their boss killing tripods anyway. I only just finished Rohendel though so maybe it gets tougher in higher ilvls past gear scaling?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll be honest: nerfing the content probably isn't enough to get me to actually try it. Even if it becomes easy to matchmake, the fact that it's already set up the expectation that consumables are going to be required going forward means that, at some point, I'm going to have to farm mats and level tradeskills or risk being unable to do the content, and since I'm not going to do that kind of tedious grindy stuff just to engage with the fun parts of the game then it seems wise to just peace out now and not get too invested.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'll be honest: nerfing the content probably isn't enough to get me to actually try it. Even if it becomes easy to matchmake, the fact that it's already set up the expectation that consumables are going to be required going forward means that, at some point, I'm going to have to farm mats and level tradeskills or risk being unable to do the content, and since I'm not going to do that kind of tedious grindy stuff just to engage with the fun parts of the game then it seems wise to just peace out now and not get too invested.

You could also swipe your card to buy that stuff but I admire your willpower. I’m just not rushing it and if I quit after leveling I will have got my 14.99 founders pack worth to be honest

Estel
May 4, 2010

admanb posted:

This is not on the announcement but in a different thread about it:

quote:

I posted this in another thread, but current success rates for some of these contents is less than 10%. I understand there are a lot of skilled and hardcore players that are concerned about content nerfs in the future, but right now dealing with early game content there needs to be a balance between…

People really underestimate how bad are people when playing videogames. If you think you are just a decent player i can assure you you are better than 75% of the people playing Lost Ark right now.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Estel posted:

This is not on the announcement but in a different thread about it:

People really underestimate how bad are people when playing videogames. If you think you are just a decent player i can assure you you are better than 75% of the people playing Lost Ark right now.

Yup, that is why I was laughing. I've got a long history with world of tanks and world of warships, and it is just mind boggling how bad the playerbase can be. In those games, hitting a 50% win rate put you head and shoulders above like, 70% or more of the player base. Just breaking even. And there are players with tens of thousands of games sitting at 40% win rates and still actively playing.

But like I said when I linked it, I was mostly amused by these hardcore players moaning about it being easier when this was basically going to come eventually. The director as smilegate had already interviewed to say they wanted to had code parity between the east and west launch over the course of this year. So if the t1 bosses have inflated hp, then I can see those being brought down. I mean, smilegate had already figured this out with their kur/ru playerbase, but here we have ags learning how bad players are generally all over again.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 1, 2022

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

The T1 guardians just feel like they have huge health pools when you attempt them at the same ilvl. T2 guardians do not even take close to as long at the minimum ilvl (caveat being Achates murdering my pugs).

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
What server are the NE guilds on?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yea I got vertus done for the first time last night, team had an average ilvl of 500 and it still took almost 10 minutes to kill. We did have a gunlancer/bard duo tho, but still. The 20 minute timer should be to stop weird bullshit or people just loving around, not as the fail state for the boss.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

QuantaStarFire posted:

You can buy mats on the marketplace and you get a bunch of gold just doing the fun parts and selling stuff that isn't bound. You also get 6+ months worth of boxes. I think for most things converting gold -> crystals and buying the boxes on maris is cheaper still.

Most t1/t2/current t3 abyssals and guardians don't take consumables beyond flares which the game showers you with for just playing & NA/EU have a rude meta where 1 doesn't flare first and someone who is annoyed with the rest of the group not doing it will. Bringing some hp pots helps, but you don't need them most of the time in guardians or abyss (except the 8 man kinda, but bringing green hp pots and using ~2 is enough to not die).

also you can do tradeskills in your stronghold it takes no time at all to energy dump if all you want is personal consumables, or you can do them while doing other content if you want.

As long as you aren't impatient with enhance materials that aren't bound you'll have more crystals & gold than you know what to do with without even touching lifeskills. Consumables aren't a concern in any current content. With the real difficult abyss stuff they haven't released maybe it will be, but I don't expect most people to do those.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 1, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Damnit I traded in my gold for gems yesterday and immediately needed more gold today for stronghold updates than I had :saddowns:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

explosivo posted:

Damnit I traded in my gold for gems yesterday and immediately needed more gold today for stronghold updates than I had :saddowns:
Sell leapstones from guardian raids and/or tradable shard bags, tradable upgrade stones from chaos rifts. If you're in t2/t3 you can also sell a bunch more stuff like guardian & weapon stones but in t1 that's not worth it.

If you have rift shards use them in t1 towns (vern & rohendel I think) to buy the most expensive t1 map box and run those maps. They are big gold at the moment to the point that I am running them in T3 still.

also you can then trade gold -> crystals and get 3x+ more leapstones/shards than you sold from mari's shop which is real funny imo

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I clear an easy 300g a day or so from doing chaos dungeons, my favorite content.