Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh Brother Where Art Thou is a loving amazing take on the Odyssey.

My gf and I were watching it and she was getting annoyed with me because I kept pausing the movie to explain the Odyssey references. She's never read it and could not have cared less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Coens were probably lying when they said they'd never read The Odyssey, but it was a fantastic bit either way.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I do not wish to work I wish to play Elden Ring

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Every time I watch No Country, I fall in love all over again.

Then I when I get to what I think is the end of the movie I remember that there’s like an extra 15 minutes that I then immediately forget after watching the film.

The last 15 minutes of No Country is some type of Sunshine Spotless Mind magick.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Congrats on the new job!

lol, trying not to count chickens, but it definitely does seem like a good sign. Regardless, I'll be spending most of the next 48 hours looking at the job description for my applicable experience and digging into everything on their website..

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Raising Arizona's chase scene might be my favorite in any film and I love me some chase scenes.

Point Break’s foot chase is :discourse:

General Dog posted:

The Coens were probably lying when they said they'd never read The Odyssey, but it was a fantastic bit either way.

I mean they kept up the lie about Fargo being based on real events for a long time too. It tracks.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

General Dog posted:

Raising Arizona is clean enough family viewing, certainly by 80s standards.

Really? I'll have to go back and watch it again at some point. I was just assuming it was full of violence because Coens.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Kalli posted:

Burn After Reading is probably not their best work, but it's my favorite.

God, I don't know how I could pick between Raising Arizona / Fargo / No Country / O Brother for #2

It has my favorite somewhat meta reveal of all time, where George Clooney shows the lady the dildo chair that is his life’s work, revealing that yes, he is yet again playing a Coen Brothers Idiot.

JK Simmons’ whole “what did we learn” bit is so painfully similar to many after action reviews I’ve done.

Brad Pitt’s dumb goofy face. Even him getting caught in the closet before getting murked, look at his face

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I'm trying to be productive this year more than I have been and one of the ways is I want to learn to cook. Since I'm not in Louisiana anymore, I want to make homemade Gumbo. I know we have some great cooks in here so I wanted to see what recipe you use if you cook it? If not I saw serious eats has one and I think that's a site other people have used before for other recipes.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SundayMoney posted:

I'm trying to be productive this year more than I have been and one of the ways is I want to learn to cook. Since I'm not in Louisiana anymore, I want to make homemade Gumbo. I know we have some great cooks in here so I wanted to see what recipe you use if you cook it? If not I saw serious eats has one and I think that's a site other people have used before for other recipes.

I won’t claim great skill or authenticity, but my family’s traditional Christmas dinner was Cajun chef Paul Prudhomme’s seafood gumbo and I like it lots! This is the adjusted version without livers or gizzards because I’m weak like that.

3 cups onions, chopped
2 1/4 cups green bell peppers, chopped
1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
1 1/8 cups vegetable oil
1 1/8 cups all purpose flour

2 2/3 tbs Seafood Magic
OR
2 tbs Blackened Redfish Magic
OR
1 1/2 tbs Meat Magic and 1 1/2 tbs Poultry Magic

1 1/2 tbs garlic, minced
8 1/4 cups seafood stock
1 1/2 lbs andouille sausage, chopped
1 1/2 lbs peeled medium shrimp
1 1/4 lbs crabmeat

Combine veggies and set aside. Make roux by heating oil in a large, heavy skillet over high until it begins to smoke, about 5 minutes, then gradually whisking in flour. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the roux is dark red-brown, about 2-4 minutes, but don't let it scorch.

Immediately add half veggies and stir well for 1 minute, then add remainder and cook for 2 minutes. Add seasoning and continue stirring for another 2 minutes.

Add garlic, stir well, and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat.

Bring stock to boil in large pot. Add roux by spoonfuls to stock, stirring until dissolved between additions. Bring to boil again, add sausage, and return again to boil. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.

Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add shrimp and crab, and return to high heat until boiling, stirring. Remove from heat and skim off any oil.

Edit: it’s all in the roux, learn to toast that flour well since for better or worse it defines the dish

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

GD_American posted:

It has my favorite somewhat meta reveal of all time, where George Clooney shows the lady the dildo chair that is his life’s work, revealing that yes, he is yet again playing a Coen Brothers Idiot.

JK Simmons’ whole “what did we learn” bit is so painfully similar to many after action reviews I’ve done.

Brad Pitt’s dumb goofy face. Even him getting caught in the closet before getting murked, look at his face

His line “you think that’s a Schwinn?!” before getting punched in the face by John Malkovich is really funny

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Joey Freshwater posted:

My gf and I were watching it and she was getting annoyed with me because I kept pausing the movie to explain the Odyssey references. She's never read it and could not have cared less

I'd be annoyed too lol why would you do that

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I won’t claim great skill or authenticity, but my family’s traditional Christmas dinner was Cajun chef Paul Prudhomme’s seafood gumbo and I like it lots! This is the adjusted version without livers or gizzards because I’m weak like that.

3 cups onions, chopped
2 1/4 cups green bell peppers, chopped
1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
1 1/8 cups vegetable oil
1 1/8 cups all purpose flour

2 2/3 tbs Seafood Magic
OR
2 tbs Blackened Redfish Magic
OR
1 1/2 tbs Meat Magic and 1 1/2 tbs Poultry Magic

1 1/2 tbs garlic, minced
8 1/4 cups seafood stock
1 1/2 lbs andouille sausage, chopped
1 1/2 lbs peeled medium shrimp
1 1/4 lbs crabmeat

Combine veggies and set aside. Make roux by heating oil in a large, heavy skillet over high until it begins to smoke, about 5 minutes, then gradually whisking in flour. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the roux is dark red-brown, about 2-4 minutes, but don't let it scorch.

Immediately add half veggies and stir well for 1 minute, then add remainder and cook for 2 minutes. Add seasoning and continue stirring for another 2 minutes.

Add garlic, stir well, and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat.

Bring stock to boil in large pot. Add roux by spoonfuls to stock, stirring until dissolved between additions. Bring to boil again, add sausage, and return again to boil. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.

Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add shrimp and crab, and return to high heat until boiling, stirring. Remove from heat and skim off any oil.

Edit: it’s all in the roux, learn to toast that flour well since for better or worse it defines the dish

I don’t know how the laws of physics work in that kitchen but you aren’t getting a dark brown roux in 2-4 minutes. More like an hour.

Unless you got some magic roux that I don’t know about that’s not even close to enough time to get a dark roux for gumbo.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Braksgirl posted:

I don’t know how the laws of physics work in that kitchen but you aren’t getting a dark brown roux in 2-4 minutes. More like an hour.

Unless you got some magic roux that I don’t know about that’s not even close to enough time to get a dark roux for gumbo.

Er, I dunno what voodoo’s at work but it’s always been pretty straightforward, cooking flour in hot oil? Or is there more to it than my rouxdimentary understanding?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

Every day
Every single loving day

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What did we learn Palmer?

I don't know sir

I don't loving know either. I guess we learned not to do it again

Yes sir

I'm hosed if I know what we did

Yes sir, it's uh, hard to say

Jesus loving Christ.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Er, I dunno what voodoo’s at work but it’s always been pretty straightforward, cooking flour in hot oil? Or is there more to it than my rouxdimentary understanding?

It just takes a while to get the roux nice and dark. From the description, it sounds like it will be ready in 2-4 minutes when it will take longer than that.

And I see what you did there.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I'd be annoyed too lol why would you do that

It was more teasing than anything else but it’s my job as bf to annoy the poo poo out of her

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

:golfclap:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Found it, just to get an idea of how long it takes, here’s a roux for a gumbo that took over an hour to make (starts at 4:35)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLnkE3nqL0

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Boux this man! BOUX!!!

Silly Burrito posted:

Found it, just to get an idea of how long it takes, here’s a roux for a gumbo that took over an hour to make (starts at 4:35)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLnkE3nqL0
I've heard that there's a way to make a roux in the oven so the cook doesn't have to stand and stir the thing all the time.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CannonFodder posted:

Boux this man! BOUX!!!

I've heard that there's a way to make a roux in the oven so the cook doesn't have to stand and stir the thing all the time.

Probably so. There’s also instant roux, and powdered gumbo mix, whatever works for you is best.

(Insert Cajun My Cousin Vinny and how no true Louisianaian uses instant roux)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Seconded.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
It seems to me that beyond the basic roux-making guidelines and onion/pepper/celery, gumbo has a ton of variance based on personal preference. I use Donald Link 's recipe which is chicken and sausage-based (I can't eat shrimp). The fun tip he gave is to use skin-on chicken pieces, lightly dust them with flour, and fry them for a bit in the oil before making the roux with the same oil. That way you get that extra bit of golden-brown fried goodness in the soup.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

opposable thumbs.db posted:

It seems to me that beyond the basic roux-making guidelines and onion/pepper/celery, gumbo has a ton of variance based on personal preference. I use Donald Link 's recipe which is chicken and sausage-based (I can't eat shrimp). The fun tip he gave is to use skin-on chicken pieces, lightly dust them with flour, and fry them for a bit in the oil before making the roux with the same oil. That way you get that extra bit of golden-brown fried goodness in the soup.

D-Link has a gumbo recipe?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

No that’s how you do it, I just don’t understand how you’re getting it done so quickly.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I heard there's also an amazing flavor boost if you put a smoked turkey leg in there while it's cooking. It's like putting smoked ham hocks in pintos or collard greens.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's how I make a roux (almost always for turkey gravy):
1. start with the pan drippings from roasting the turkey
2. get it hot on the stove, start spooning in flour and whisking until all the flour is mixed in.
3. It's already dark brown from all the scorched drippings
4. Add turkey broth, chopped giblets, a bit at a time till it's encorporated

done

Obviously I've been fooling myself that this is "good roux" but I honestly thought the brown color from the drippings was sufficiently brown? Everyone seems to like the gravy, but then again we're just white californians so we're undoubtedly doing it wrong.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater posted:

It was more teasing than anything else but it’s my job as bf to annoy the poo poo out of her

You annoy the poo poo out of your kids, not your spouse!

(Actually unsure on this, people with kids, c/d)

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

You annoy the poo poo out of your kids, not your spouse!

(Actually unsure on this, people with kids, c/d)

you do both, within reason

edit: have been trolling my son with the song from carousel of progress. teeing it up and singing it when he's not expecting it to great effect

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 1, 2022

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Braksgirl posted:

No that’s how you do it, I just don’t understand how you’re getting it done so quickly.

It depends on the oil you are working with. If it browns easily or is naturally darker it will get that deep brown a lot faster.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Leperflesh posted:

Here's how I make a roux (almost always for turkey gravy):
1. start with the pan drippings from roasting the turkey
2. get it hot on the stove, start spooning in flour and whisking until all the flour is mixed in.
3. It's already dark brown from all the scorched drippings
4. Add turkey broth, chopped giblets, a bit at a time till it's encorporated

done

Obviously I've been fooling myself that this is "good roux" but I honestly thought the brown color from the drippings was sufficiently brown? Everyone seems to like the gravy, but then again we're just white californians so we're undoubtedly doing it wrong.

Yes, you are getting flavor from the drippings and it would turn it brown, but that's not a traditional roux. That's just gravy, not that there's anything wrong with it. Gravy is the bomb. But a dark brown roux has to happen very slow or otherwise you're just scorching flour. The brown color comes from cooking the flour.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I saw a ROYKENT license plate on the way home, it was cool.

E: oh hey Braks I made more macarons this weekend and my strictly vegan friend knowingly and willingly killed like three of them she loved them so much :coolfish:

T-Square fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 1, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

lol of course

https://twitter.com/Alexruoff/status/1498441164709670917

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I've literally never heard of making roux with oil. You guys are weird. Roux is butter and flour.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right, and butter turns brown from cooking pretty quickly (lit. make "brown butter" sometimes), so probably the other five times I've made a roux it was with butter and it turned brown in a few minutes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah, that sounds really annoying.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MrLogan posted:

I've literally never heard of making roux with oil. You guys are weird. Roux is butter and flour.

In theory any fat would work I guess. I've also always done butter. And it does take a long time to make an actual dark roux with butter without burning it

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Leperflesh posted:

Right, and butter turns brown from cooking pretty quickly (lit. make "brown butter" sometimes), so probably the other five times I've made a roux it was with butter and it turned brown in a few minutes.

But you want a nice dark brown which takes about an hour to achieve without burning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've made roux using different fats and each has their own strengths/weaknesses. Butter has the nice feature of getting the nutty flavor but you gotta take it slow lest you burn the milk solids. Oil doesn't have that burn issue as much but you lose that distinctive flavor. Schmaltz is nice if you're using chicken (bonus if you got it from cooking the chickens earlier) and duck fat is rich AF if you are feeling fancy. Lard works similarly to oil but can accentuate the flavor of sausages you got in it. Beef tallow is… :chloe:.