Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Donovan Trip posted:

I think smart contracts are really exciting

My hot take for the day is that some things are supposed to be boring, and if the mechanism of a contract is ever "exciting", it is generally because something has gone hilariously wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Donavan here is another proof that crypto is at its core, 3 types of people:

"I have drunken the koolaid. The potential of this technology is immeasurable, and despite knowing nothing about it, I will proclaim from the mountains of my knowledge. All can be solved by this and those who doubt me are luddites in the filth."

"Look at all these rubes. This "technology" is bullshit on the highest level, and people keep buying into it. I'm making so much money off these idiots. Hahaha loving dolts."

"I am hosed by the system, and instead of questioning my own failings or the systematic faults of an existing system that is loving me, I have hope this 'technology' will save me and give me all my dreams I was promised."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

nullEntityRNG posted:

"Look at all these rubes. This "technology" is bullshit on the highest level, and people keep buying into it. I'm making so much money off these idiots. Hahaha loving dolts."

The 4th option of saying this loudly and in public to save face after losing massively is always an option

Especially if it's Seraph (it's Seraph)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Hi all,

I'm not going to say how I know this, but Donovan Trip is not seraph.

Whether or not it's wise for them to post this in the Bitcoin thread, that's a matter for debate. I don't generally police this thread much because y'all do a good job keeping this on track. If it becomes too much of a distraction, let me know and we'll take it from there, but from what I see it's just him popping in saying crypto is awesome and you all responding "lol u dumb", which is a valid response!

Keep on posting, pals :)

As a sidenote, I don't know poo poo about crypto, I just know that it sucks and it's funny when it plummets.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Donovan Trip posted:

AI, Automation and IOT sensors will replace a lot of human work, yes

Saying this shows how deluded you are.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Seth Pecksniff posted:

As a sidenote, I don't know poo poo about crypto, I just know that it sucks and it's funny when it plummets.

You know the important parts

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

How do you think the carbon credits system discussed at G7 will work?
That's some impressively irrelevant whataboutism. Yes, carbon credits are bullshit. That is still not a point in crypto's favor.

It's funny to me how a lot of cryptobros will correctly point out issues with our current financial systems, but instead of joining the real fight against those systems they go "What if we recreated the same systems but worse, and I'm on top?"

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

quote:

chainlinks decentralized oracle network are the backbone to a greener more verifiable future. Corporations have made it clear that they cannot police themselves and do anything outside the interest of their bottom line.

This and the article are just cryptobabble word salad. Explain it to me like I'm 5

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
This dude not being Seraph is actually a lot funnier for two completely independent reasons

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Sigh.

I will check back in another two years and let you know how it went, <3

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Donovan Trip posted:

AI, Automation and IOT sensors will replace a lot of human work, yes

Oh for the love of god, this is the same conceit that Ayn Rand had to use in her novels, magic hyper-steel and a literal perpetual motion machine, to even begin to kludge together a workable hypothetical society.

Perfect, error-free and self-correcting AI and automation that never makes a mistake and spots problems before they happen, can see the future to anticipate new inputs, and is loving PSYCHIC in order to detect bad actors is the software equivalent of a perpetual motion machine.

It doesn't exist, and it's a fantasy to expect that it or something like it will solve the problems you have.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Donovan Trip has no idea how computers work. it's not discrete voltages passing through logic gates in a predetermined, precise manner - it's MAGIC!!!!!

i, the Monopoly Man, have spoken.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
it's easy to assume it's that person when someone kramers into this thread and treats it like a serious crypto discussion, the way that that person used to. it is not, and never has been, dating back over a decade, a serious crypto discussion.

this is the thread where we say buttcoin. there's not really much serious crypto to discuss when the fundamentals of it are still just as hosed as they were in 2011, and attempts to fix the fundamentals were actively shut down by some of the big players because they want it to remain that way on purpose. we are here to make fun of it, and make fun of you, if you come here and try to argue its merits. possibly for another decade still, if it takes that long for governments to shut it down the way they shut down Liberty Reserve and eGold and other similar scams

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm happy to debate the"merits" but they never actually want to, they just want to spout buzzwords and link to articles by other crypto evangelists.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"Debate me!"
"This is literal gibberish. It has no semantic meaning and demonstrates a failure to understand both the system it tries to tout and the field it's supposed to revolutionize."
"Well have you considered the price of tea in China??? Checkmate fiatfailures, see you in a few years when I'm obscenely successful and rich!"

-- the last few pages of "discussion"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Donovan Trip posted:

I wanna tell people that Satoshi was just the pseudonym for Sergey Nazarov, founder of chainlink labs, and that chainlink along with a consortium of Blockchain technologies deployed by the WEF will completely reinvent ID, finance, insurance, and commerce within 5 years, but I don't think y'all would get it

Donovan Trip posted:

I'm not going to help you understand it. You had years.

aahahahaha

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I sold my Vega 56 to a colleague and he says that it performs better than all his other cards in MH/s. I feel like a pimp. I feel rotten to the core and I can't wash away the filth.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

knox_harrington posted:

Immutable production records for agriculture or anything else are loving stupid. What happens when you make a mistake?

None of that stuff in that incredibly stupid article can't be done better with a normal database

Smart contracts are neither smart nor contracts

You're dumb as poo poo

TLDR: what this guy said.

The only use case for anything like blockchain is maintaining a shared database for specific types of transactional issues between nation states of roughly equal power that don't trust each other.

And that's such a niche issue that you'd be better off solving it with the power of bureaucracy rather than trying to implement something new.

That's it. After a million nerds brainstorming for a million hours, that's the only thing that wouldn't be better done by regular databases, regular contracts and a little trick I like to call "putting bad faith actors in jail".

Can you use blockchain for more things? Absolutely, in the same way I can use a ham[m/st]er to crack open a nut, unlock my door and borrow money from my neighbour. But that doesn't make it "good" or "not wildly illegal".

Party Ape fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 1, 2022

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Donovan Trip posted:

I would love to hear what the irreplaceable jobs people have are and why automation isn't going to replace them within 30 years

None of this is interesting to you guys at all?

https://www.ap.org/press-releases/2021/ap-chainlink-to-bring-trusted-data-onto-leading-blockchains

It would be interesting if it wasn't being deployed onto a technological dead end. We already have mature standards, protocols and tools for collecting, storing and exchanging information.

"Blockchain will be great if everyone uses blockchain" is not an argument to adopt blockchain.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Donovan Trip posted:

wow i am convinced. i will turn off the money printers immediately
Just turn off your computer and stop posting.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Party Ape posted:

Can you use blockchain for more things? Absolutely, in the same way I can use a hammer to crack open a nut, unlock my door and borrow money from my neighbour. But that doesn't make it "good" or "not wildly illegal".

This is an amazing summary. I have to remember this for the future

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like to put on the folding ideas video when i'm trying to sleep. it never really gets old hearing about how stupid all this stuff is in a soothing voice haha

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
fart

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Party Ape posted:

TLDR: what this guy said.

The only use case for anything like blockchain is maintaining a shared database for specific types of transactional issues between nation states of roughly equal power that don't trust each other.

And that's such a niche issue that you'd be better off solving it with the power of bureaucracy rather than trying to implement something new.

That's it. After a million nerds brainstorming for a million hours, that's the only thing that wouldn't be better done by regular databases, regular contracts and a little trick I like to call "putting bad faith actors in jail".

Can you use blockchain for more things? Absolutely, in the same way I can use a hammer to crack open a nut, unlock my door and borrow money from my neighbour. But that doesn't make it "good" or "not wildly illegal".

This sounds really bad since nation states often lie to each other all the time. It's why the US and China are embroiled in a million billion lawsuits against each other because intentionally being wrong all the time gives you an opportinity to cave if you need to offer something to the other side for something else.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

This sounds really bad since nation states often lie to each other all the time. It's why the US and China are embroiled in a million billion lawsuits against each other because intentionally being wrong all the time gives you an opportinity to cave if you need to offer something to the other side for something else.

This won't fix that either. All it does is provide an immutable record.

By the way, you almost never want an immutable record because if a judge tells you to remove a record because its existence violates a law and you can't because your dumb rear end put it in a blockchain, you are in for "not a good time".

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Party Ape posted:

This won't fix that either. All it does is provide an immutable record.

By the way, you almost never want an immutable record because if a judge tells you to remove a record because its existence violates a law and you can't because your dumb rear end put it in a blockchain, you are in for "not a good time".

I'm so eager for this to happen a couple times just to watch everyone involved go:

Umm, Not possible? :shrug:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

Fair enough. I think smart contracts are really exciting and chainlinks decentralized oracle network are the backbone to a greener more verifiable future. Corporations have made it clear that they cannot police themselves and do anything outside the interest of their bottom line.

It's funny to see SWIFT in the news so much right now, I've been obsessed with their work together. Integrations like this are the key to bridging the real world and blockchain.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/06/blockchain-can-help-us-beat-climate-change-heres-how/

https://chainlinktoday.com/at-swift...nt-blockchains/

congrats on being a sucker

"decentralized oracle network" is the fanciest name I've seen for "turns out smart contracts are useless because they depend on information outside the blockchain, let's invent a vague term for checking external centralized services"

smart contracts don't make sense unless you trust the data source, and if you already trust the data source, then there's no point in writing a trustless function into the blockchain

Donovan Trip posted:

I would love to hear what the irreplaceable jobs people have are and why automation isn't going to replace them within 30 years

None of this is interesting to you guys at all?

https://www.ap.org/press-releases/2021/ap-chainlink-to-bring-trusted-data-onto-leading-blockchains

it's a basic API service, with a bunch of bullshit jargon piled on so blockchain evangelists think it's something new

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007

Trollologist posted:

I'm so eager for this to happen a couple times just to watch everyone involved go:

Umm, Not possible? :shrug:

Now listen, how could I have known that my blockchain based "detailed profiles on victims of domestic violence" database could be abused by their ex-partners in such a way. It's entirely unreasonable for a judge to demand that I remove people from it.

I'm looking forward to the first techbro being thrown in jail for contempt until all copies of their immutable blockchain database are erased.

Party Ape fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 1, 2022

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Party Ape posted:

Now listen, how could I have known that my blockchain based "detailed profiles on victims of domestic violence" database could be abused by their ex-partners in such a way. It's entirely unreasonable for a judge to demand that I remove people from it.

And my decentralized block chain network isn't something I can just "delete" because it's on four thousand computers spread across the globe.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007

Trollologist posted:

And my decentralized block chain network isn't something I can just "delete" because it's on four thousand computers spread across the globe.

Then you're probably going to jail for contempt. Remember that thing I said about bad actors earlier? If you deliberately set up your system in a way where you can't meet your legal obligations, that's kind of on you buddy.

(By the way, the law is mutable and could change at any time. Imagine a right to be forgotten law being applied to a customer database being kept in a blockchain.) You wouldn't even need jail, a daily financial penalty * number of impacted users would kill the company.

Party Ape fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 1, 2022

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

when I helped spearhead the fall of lowtax

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904883&perpage=40&noseen=1

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I really wanted to see our guest try to explain whatever the hell that jargon meant. :sigh:

Party Ape posted:

I liked this more when I thought it said "hamster" instead of "hammer." Still worked, even!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Puppy Time posted:

I really wanted to see our guest try to explain whatever the hell that jargon meant. :sigh:

I liked this more when I thought it said "hamster" instead of "hammer." Still worked, even!

They always run away the moment they realise their evangelism isn't going to result in everyone gasping in amazement at their buzzwords and asking for where to buy.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Trollologist posted:

Sounds like a you problem, better get on with solving it or we will drag you back into court on worse charges.

Pretty sure we have an existing framework for your four thousand networked co-conspirators too, I hope you're ready to hand over their info and that they don't have jail "suicide" money

Somfin fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 1, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The inevitable issue with cryptocurrency as an alternative to banks (besides the actual waste in both energy and manpower) is the assumption that the people running the cryptocurrency are any less greedy than the banks. "Banks are greedy! We are not!" Seems to fall flat when we inevitably see what people do when they even have a modicum of control that the banks do.

One of Dan Olsen's examples was some random coin which also gave people voting rights to decide what to do with the coins. Inevitable when it was decided to give the original founders of the coin a salary. wow surprise the largest shareholders of the coin gave themselves the raise!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Strong Sauce posted:

The inevitable issue with cryptocurrency as an alternative to banks (besides the actual waste in both energy and manpower) is the assumption that the people running the cryptocurrency are any less greedy than the banks. "Banks are greedy! We are not!" Seems to fall flat when we inevitably see what people do when they even have a modicum of control that the banks do.

One of Dan Olsen's examples was some random coin which also gave people voting rights to decide what to do with the coins. Inevitable when it was decided to give the original founders of the coin a salary. wow surprise the largest shareholders of the coin gave themselves the raise!

To be fair I’ve never heard the argument that crypto bros are less greedy than banks, only that The Holy Blockchain is Immutable And Therefore Perfect so their greed actually buttresses the security because they can’t possibly act in concert to subvert the system.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
This thread is so easily riled. Crypto has bearded the bear by circumventing sanctions, and should get got hard. I liked Gaben's take on it, paraphrasing: Blockchain is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I remember seeing a headline for an op-ed in the WSJ a few years back that was something like 'We need more capitalism to fix capitalism'. It wasn't about crypto but it's stuck in my head as the best motto for crypto ever because it's the overriding principle of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Collateral posted:

This thread is so easily riled. Crypto has bearded the bear by circumventing sanctions, and should get got hard. I liked Gaben's take on it, paraphrasing: Blockchain is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

And web3 is using that to build a toll booth in front of a bridge it doesn't own.